test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Axanar draws lawsuit from Paramount and CBS

khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
Your pain runs deep.
Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.

Comments

• Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    You beat me to posting this...

What a monumentally stupid thing to do, though, especially from CBS who has been content with sitting on their hands while the brand whistle's in the wind....

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    Hurt pride is a dangerous thing... I've read that Star Trek Continues has a good relationship with CBS, with CBS even going to bat for them against YouTube during a report for a supposed IP violation... I don't see how they can support STC, but go after Axanar. This is very disappointing to see :(
  • Options
    sunfrancks wrote: »

What a monumentally stupid thing to do, though, especially from CBS who has been content with sitting on their hands while the brand whistle's in the wind....

I think it's because there are two official Star Trek properties coming out. We have the movie and the new TV show.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Seems like they must have crossed the line in terms of the sheer scale of what they were doing, to the point where CBS feared it could be confused for something with official sanction. That is made even worse in their eyes by the fact that their own actors are reprising their roles on someone else's team. That's very different from someone cosplaying, doing machinima, posting fanfic on a forum like this,mor an obviously amateur video some kids made and put up on YouTube. I'm actually surprised this didn't happen sooner.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    gulberat wrote: »
    Seems like they must have crossed the line in terms of the sheer scale of what they were doing, to the point where CBS feared it could be confused for something with official sanction.

I think this is what happened
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    It's disappointing, that's for sure. :'(
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • Options
    BTW I'm afraid the edit fairy struck while you were writing your comment but I suspect we are still in agreement as to the cause of this, Khan.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    yeh well its their fault if they bothered to do something since Enterprise was canned and do something that isn't STUPID JAR JAR Trek related the "true" (term used for ones who dont like Jar Jars !new! vision of it fans and trek alumni alike) trek fans wouldn't donate so much money toward something that ad ears to the true trek style and meaning.

They have only themselves to blame for dumping Trek in the bin and letting the farce that is paramount' take on it continue.... they cant have there cake and eat it, if it wasnt for fan productions, STO, and many many novels, reruns etc Trek would have died with Enterprise....

I hope they realise they can try to silence a crowd but when you try to make it a wimpier it has a tendency to become a explosion... if they seriously want to anger fans by doing this kinda of thing then they need to look at how it will effect the 2017 show as its like ive always been told.,.. Don't S**t where you eat.... 7H0tNfX.png​​
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »

I think it's because there are two official Star Trek properties coming out. We have the movie and the new TV show.

Agreed, and to be honest I expected such stupidity the closer we get to the new series.

I have mentioned this before, but i would not put it past CBS to shut down STO in favour of their new baby, especially if it becomes popular...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    BTW I'm afraid the edit fairy struck while you were writing your comment but I suspect we are still in agreement as to the cause of this, Khan.

Still in agreement
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »

Agreed, and to be honest I expected such stupidity the closer we get to the new series.

I have mentioned this before, but i would not put it past CBS to shut down STO in favour of their new baby, especially if it becomes popular...

They wouldn't do that, to do that they would have to pull all reruns, as STO is nothing more than a continuation of the Trek Before so to speak...

Plussss. $$$$$$ Talks as long as STO makes them money in what ever way possible it will remain, When STO is a loss making game and starts to tarnish the brand CBS will be like erm bye bye....​​
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    Wow. That's very interesting. I'm still not sure what the difference is with Axanar. CBS and Paramount haven't said squat about fan films for decades.

I'm curious if what's going on with Axanar is too close to what CBS is doing with the upcoming new series?​​

I did not think about that...it could be why
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I realize this is likely to be a hugely unpopular POV...sorry, guys...I just don't feel sorry for large-budget fanfilmers getting a slap. :/

Comparing STO and the novels to Axanar doesn't work...Cryptic is operating under a license from CBS and the same for the official novels. On the flip side, a fanficcer is operating on such a [i]small[/i] scale...pulling in no funds and drawing on no resources with any veneer of officiality to do what they do, that ignoring them is smart for the brand and prosecuting would be as silly as going after a kid for doing a drawing.

With large-budget fan films...I have to admit that I have always seen CBS' side in this and that's part of why I have never supported such efforts. I would feel kind of skeevy doing so, a sense of crossing a line by not just doing a derivative work but directly trespassing on the IP on their own turf.

Before anyone points out that I've done a Foundry mission, I am going to again point out that Cryptic has a license they got the right way and that CBS had to know that the Foundry was there. In fact, I am sure they do given the EULA for the Foundry that [i]specifically forbids using the likenesses of actual characters from the series[/i]. There is a reason why Cryptic can use faces and voices from the on-air shows and we the fans cannot.

If anything, my guess is that EULA points to the crux of why Axanar is considered to have crossed the line: yes, the actors are doing this of their own choice but they are in essence using the CHARACTER'S likeness and name for something off brand. I almost think in that light, CBS' choice to go after the producers of Axanar is by far the less damaging option compared to their *other* potential avenue, which would be a civil suit against their own actors. If you think the bantha poodoo is hitting the fan now (yes, I know, wrong franchise), just imagine if CBS had such a severe public falling out with their official actors. THAT right there is the third rail I hope they have the sense to avoid.

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2015

I doubt it. STO is (apparently) profitable. If that remains so then what does "not being canon" really matter? It hasn't mattered to any Star Trek video game in the past, especially those that dealt with material beyond the current date of the series. Now if there was a fan game out there and CBS wanted to release something similar then you might expect action, but not for something they own and benefit from.

Anyway, sad news. My take: Axanar is something I would have immensely preferred seeing to Star Trek Beyond. Paramount wants to release that and shut down Axanar? Fine, it's their call. But they (and CBS) just demonstrated a patent unwillingness to produce the kind of material I want to watch (even when they don't have to pay for it.)

Go them.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    The new series won't shut down STO...at the least we'll see a new series bundle...costumes and equipment and ships introduced into the game
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Duncanidaho, if you have a problem with JJTrek, I can understand that even though I am not as bothered as some fans about it. That is fine to criticize CBS' decisions in that area on their own merit or lack thereof. But your comment that CBS' shutting down Axanar means that THEY--CBS--don't want to produce content to your liking not only is a mistaken logical jump in your argument, it is also kind of Exhibit A to my argument about the intellectual property confusion potentially created by letting Trek actors reprise their old characters in a large-budget fanfilm that goes head-to-head with onscreen Trek. That right there is why I see CBS reacting as they are, since it seems the project's sheer size and use of Trek actors combined is being taken as a sign that no mere blind eye is being turned to it, but that it IS official in some capacity.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    How much money is Axanar making?

Also, I have to wonder if this public step is because private negotiations broke down.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    What I find funny is that Axanar has admittedly used elements from the reboot movies.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    It's too bad if Axanar is stopped. It looked to be exceptional. I suppose that's why CBS wants to stop it.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    But your comment that CBS' shutting down Axanar means that THEY--CBS--don't want to produce content to your liking is kind of Exhibit A to my argument about the intellectual property confusion potentially created by letting Trek actors reprise their old characters in a large-budget fanfilm that goes head-to-head with onscreen Trek.

And that's why I said it's their call. I'm not saying in any way that CBS has no legal standing to pull Axanar down. It is a Star Trek film in every narrative sense. It is also a Star Trek film supported by a lot of people (see. the crowdfunding, the actors). It was an opportunity, something that could have promoted the franchise without coming at any cost to Paramount or CBS or threatening any other release (given the "free, on the internet" scheme. Even if CBS is planning to release the exact same thing as their new TV show there's definite clues built into the release format as to what it represents.)

And before you start off on that, there are examples from other popular sci-fi franchises where the host company did exactly that, they let the fans go and make what they want to make provided they didn't try selling that material without their consent (see. Microsoft, Halo, Red vs Blue, and other fan productions.) CBS/Paramount could have chosen to do that as well, but they chose to exercise their legal right instead. I don't think anyone here is saying they can't do that. I'm certainly not. But it's still disappointing, especially after other precedents have been set (see. successfully released Star Trek fan films.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    I think what Continues and Renegades are doing is also wrong. Axanar got hit first because of its greater size.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Also, to the point about Red vs. Blue, I don't think that would be confused for an officially sanctioned Microsoft product (or endorsed licensee). What the high-budget fanfilmers are doing, who use actual Trek talent, is actually going head to head with the official franchise. To put it in STO terms: when I write a fanfic, which is permitted by forum rules, Cryptic is aware that this does not constitute direct competition. If, on the other hand, I created STO II: The Wrath of the Players and lifted some elements of it right from Cryptic's game files, even if it were a *true* F2P and I didn't make a cent, I'd deservedly be in a world of hurt, and that's what is happening with Axanar. Even when I think Cryptic has made awful creative decisions that would be a line of basic respect I couldn't countenance crossing.

The thing with Axanar that's particularly touchy is the involvement of not just inanimate assets like if I were to lift parts of the game files, but official talent who, IMO, have been actively promoting a competitor. Come to think about it, the equivalent would actually be worse: it would be like poaching a STO dev and building said competitor game with their help...and there's a good reason that non-compete contracts are an industry standard. Targeting the production team of Axanar is the much better alternative to actually going after the actors--because THAT is a scenario that would absolutely be Armageddon for the fandom.

• Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    Comparing what I've seen of Axanar with what I've seen of Beyond, I'd much rather buy a ticket for Axanar.

CBS/Paramount should do the stunningly reasonable thing and cut a distribution deal for Axanar and gain a ton of good will with the fans.

Disney was smart enough to not pull all the old EU novels out of print and simple re-branded them as 'Legends', trusting that the fans were smart enough to tell the difference between the new and old materials. Axanar could be handled the exact same way.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    If anything, the Star Trek name needs to be stifled. I guess?

In contrast is Star Wars. The movies are resurrected. It's been kicking around several shows over the years to "keep the torch lit." More importantly, newer, younger people are drawn in as fans. Things I really don't see the official license holders of Star Trek doing. Granted, SW is a massive franchise. But I don't see the ambition to push ST for future prosperity.

XzRTofz.gif
This discussion has been closed.