test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Axanar draws lawsuit from Paramount and CBS

Comments

• Options
    alphaomega1500alphaomega1500 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    Also, One other thing. I would like to see a poll seeing if CBS/Paramount was right in filing this lawsuit against ANAXAR or not and a second poll stating this. If you were in charge of the Star Trek Legacy for CBS/Paramount. WOULD YOU HAVE FILED SUIT AGANST ANAXAR ??
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    OK Before I start with my own POV on all this. I have to say I DIDN'T read this entire thread. Which is standing at 11+ pages long at the time of this posting. So some of these points might have already been hashed out.

Does CBS/Paramount have the right to protect their IP AKA Star Trek ?? YES It does.

Does CBS/Paramount HAVE to let any Fan FICTION or PRODUCTION be made without their official OK ?? No they Don't

Do we as fans of Star Trek have any rights to write a Fan Fiction and post it online or make a HOMEMADE FAN FILM or WEB SERIES ??? No we don't

Should CBS/Paramount shut down all Fan Productions. Which includes these Fan Films and Web Series (Renegades, Continues, New Voyages and Continuning Missions). This also includes any future Fan Audio Drama Productions. YES THEY SHOULD

Until CBS/Paramount can setup some type of submission review board and a set of submission rules for HOMEMADE, Fan Club and or Fan Crowd Funded project can be put in place. With also clear transparcency as to why a submission was rejected.

Their might be a set of rules. If so I haven't hear or seen anything about it.

I really hate to say this. But CBS/Paramount are in a catch 22 setup. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. So they chose to be damned by a majority of Star Trek Fans. Because they are protecting their LEGAL RIGHTs to all things STAR TREK.

It's their sandbox we are playing in. They have every right to tell us to stop what we are doing and get out and if we don't stop and get out we as fans better be prepared to pay the cost. For those who don't follow the rules.

NOW, all that said and done.

What would I do IF I was in charge or the go to guy in charge The Star Trek Legacy for CBS/Paramount.

As stated before. Setup a submissions review board and have total transpancey as to the review process and a stated reason was a certain project was rejected.

If a project was approved. Take AXANAR for example. I would also appoint a Lasion officer as a go between CBS/Paramount and the production group. Just like they did here with STO. I think. By the way who is the CBS/Paramount Lasion officer who works with cryptic ??

The main reason they are going after Axanar is because the producers are using the money they raised from Axanar to pay themselves and fund their studio...CBS/Paramount allows these fan productions because they don't make money.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    You mean to say.

That because the Production staff that keeps things running are being paid a wage. Is what this lawsuit is all about. How dumb can they be.

If I under stand what a Producers does. Is make sure the actors get their updated scripts on time and arranges transportation for the actors and actress to get to the set on time or to a location shoot. Scouts Locations, keeps track on what the build status is of certain sets and props and arrange for possible private funding from outside sources. If the budget gets a bit to tight and a thousand one other things.

If this is why they are filing against ANAXAR. I can't support CBS/Paramount. For other reason I could and can. But not for this one .

Also, wiether or not the studio is used for FUTURE FOR PROFIT PROJECTS. Is a non-matter. It is for what it is being built for now. Not what its future uses could be.
  • Options
    You mean to say.

That because the Production staff that keeps things running are being paid a wage. Is what this lawsuit is all about. How dumb can they be.

If I under stand what a Producers does. Is make sure the actors get their updated scripts on time and arranges transportation for the actors and actress to get to the set on time or to a location shoot. Scouts Locations, keeps track on what the build status is of certain sets and props and arrange for possible private funding from outside sources. If the budget gets a bit to tight and a thousand one other things.

If this is why they are filing against ANAXAR. I can't support CBS/Paramount. For other reason I could and can. But not for this one .

Also, wiether or not the studio is used for FUTURE FOR PROFIT PROJECTS. Is a non-matter. It is for what it is being built for now. Not what its future uses could be.

No that's not the reason. The money that they get from donations needs to go back 100% into the production. That includes paying actors and crew, securing locations and building sets. The main producer, Alex Peters, paid himself 38K from the money they raised and then used the money that they raised for Axanar to set up a studio that they will use to fund his own company to make for profit films later. This is a clear violation. He met with CBS and they told him...face to face...don't make a profit. He violated that and deserved to be sued.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    Why can't CBS purchase the stuff needed for Axanar and complete it? Mind you, they probably won't, but I don't honestly see any reason why they can't.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    That, and CBS could make money off of Axanar. B)
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • Options
    Why can't CBS purchase it and finish it? Why would they buy it? They already own it...that's what the case is about. Also they probably don't want to do business with Peters and anything Star Trek they are working on needs to be the new show.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Why don't CBS/Paramount join up with Peters and make AXANAR joint venture. That way they COULD make AXANAR a direct to video DVD and make AXANAR the movie that bought CBS/Paramount and AXANAR Production together to make more ind type Star Trek Fan movies for the Direct to sale market.
  • Options
    gabeoz1gabeoz1 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    Last night I commented on one of their Facebook posts saying that the probable reason that they are being sued is that they spent 250k using donor funds on a studio not related to Axanar that will be used for profit. It quickly became the top comment on that post and had 60 comments on it (it was civil discussion, nothing got out of hand.).

When I want to check it a few mins ago. They had deleted the comment. Nice to know that they are willing to try and hide this information from the public.

I was excited for Axanar, but they are TRIBBLE up big time.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    gabeoz1 wrote: »
    Last night I commented on one of their Facebook posts saying that the probable reason that they are being sued is that they spent 250k using donor funds on a studio not related to Axanar that will be used for profit. It quickly became the top comment on that post and had 60 comments on it (it was civil discussion, nothing got out of hand.).

When I want to check it a few mins ago. They had deleted the comment. Nice to know that they are willing to try and hide this information from the public.

I was excited for Axanar, but they are TRIBBLE up big time.

Only a guilty party tries to hide actual facts.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Why can't CBS purchase it and finish it? Why would they buy it? They already own it...that's what the case is about. Also they probably don't want to do business with Peters and anything Star Trek they are working on needs to be the new show.
    They own the IP - but the actual physical assets already constructed, and CGI work already done, could easily be either purchased by CBS or made part of a settlement. They could then finish Axanar, and use that as publicity for their upcoming Trek series (possibly even making Axanar available for a time on YouTube or Netflix, and moving it to their proprietary streaming service when the new series starts).​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    It's hilarious to watch the people in this thread pretend to be copyright and IP lawyers, when none of you are. I'm also going to assume that none of you have actually read the CBS complaint.

The Axanar team is going to be represented by one of the top IP law firms in the country. And so far, its looking like Axanar has a good chance of winning the case, which they should. The copyright laws in this country are ridiculous. They stem from greed of corporations and capitalism.

I hope CBS & Paramount lose this case. And I hope It sets a new precedent in the entertainment industry regarding IP.
    7aamriW.png
  • Options
    It's hilarious to watch the people in this thread pretend to be copyright and IP lawyers, when none of you are.

You have no idea what profession anyone in this thread is. That said, you don't have to be a police officer to know someone going over the speed limit is breaking the law. Likewise, you don't have to be a lawyer to know that making a profit using someone else's IP without their permission is also against the copyright law. Of course, you can go before a judge and make a case for why you were breaking the law and speeding, and he may even give you a pass. And the same may happen with Axanar. But in both cases, that doesn't change the fact that they still broke the law, even if they wind up being given a pass for doing so.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    Lets face it, nobody here truly knows the whole deal as to whats going on with the Axanar case. While speculating is fun and all, nobody will really know until all of the evidence and arguments are submitted.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Lets face it, nobody here truly knows the whole deal as to whats going on with the Axanar case. While speculating is fun and all, nobody will really know until all of the evidence and arguments are submitted.

Assuming no one here works for CBS or Axanar, that is true. Also, we will likely never know "the whole deal", because they aren't just going to publish all of the evidence even after the case is finished.

That said, just because we do not know "everything" does not change the things we do know. Axanar already showed their wrong doing in their own financial report.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    khan5000 wrote: »
    They own the IP - but the actual physical assets already constructed, and CGI work already done, could easily be either purchased by CBS or made part of a settlement. They could then finish Axanar, and use that as publicity for their upcoming Trek series (possibly even making Axanar available for a time on YouTube or Netflix, and moving it to their proprietary streaming service when the new series starts).​​
    Also... for that you'd probably need to get Alec Peters to agree to the deal.... With his ego, I doubt it will happen.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rcassandrasaturnrcassandrasaturn Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    actually, i have reason to believe that Axanar is done.
    CBS is not going to let this slide by. the team messed up three times.
    Fleet commander of Slippery When Wet.
    i am Deaf Transgender girl. i'm Known to others as Korra.
    you can find me on Tumblr, Twitter, Twitch
  • Options
    @rcassandrasaturn probably, I was very excited for Axanar. But they have showed their true colors and what they did is not excusable. They betrayed people's trust and spent a large portion of the money that was supposed to go to Axanar to something that's not even related to it.
  • Options
    rcassandrasaturnrcassandrasaturn Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    let me show you what they did.

Axanar team spent 100K on Ares Studios (studio they wanted to make and create, set up)
    250K on items (unknown items presumed to be electronics)
    10K on home base (their place was Upgraded from TRIBBLE place to neat place similar to those of an lounge room in office building)

probably some couple of things we don't even know about.
    Fleet commander of Slippery When Wet.
    i am Deaf Transgender girl. i'm Known to others as Korra.
    you can find me on Tumblr, Twitter, Twitch
  • Options
    and where did you expect them to film AXANAR in a barn.

Every fan film dealing with certain series build their own studio. So they don't have to deal with rental contracts. That may prevent them from fixing items. Like the AC during summer or the heating system during winter and maybe fix bad sections of roof that let rain in during a bad storm or snow melt, ECT.

Or pay enough in the rental agreement to be able to fix things Like the AC or the Heating or even the wiring if it is needed and not harzard during heavy usage during filming.

So building their own studio was they smart thing to do.

So they have a nice looking office. Where they can meet and plan and talk about how thing are going with ANAXAR. Like are they on sch. How is the budget hold up for what we have planned. Are we going to be short and if so where do we make the cuts and to what ?? or are we in the black and what if anything so we add on or should we hold back. Just in case Murphy shows up and cause no end of problems
  • Options
    @alphaomega1500 are you not listening? The studio they built IS NOT FOR AXANAR it's for other future projects, it has nothing to do with Axanar.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    I don't think picking up Axanar would be the right move for CBS IF the allegations of fraud and violating the agreement are true. That sends a message that you can lie, cheat, and you will still be rewarded with all the fame and glory and this time with an official stamp of approval on it. If Peters did something wrong, I say squash Axanar and make sure it never sees the light of day so that no one else gets that kind of idea.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I could see them essentially getting Axanar for free in exchange for not prosecuting Alec Peters for IP violations. But.. what would they do with it? they'd probably kick Peters out of his lead role and replace him with an actual actor.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    https://youtu.be/S6TXDDoADIY

this makes me hmm. . .

We can't use the name or brand of star trek etc etc yet it's all over this video. . .

confused
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    Watson (and I take the liberty of assuming you are yourself neither a doctor nor companion to a consulting detective), I freely admit that I am not myself an attorney. However, during discussion of such matters involving characters in Champions Online, I have taken the opportunity to learn quite a bit about copyright law, trademark law, and the difference between the two from actual attorneys specializing in IP matters. And I can assure you that the bright line crossed in this matter was the diversion of Kickstarter funds, raised using the name of Star Trek, to Ares Studios, coupled with Mr. Peters' outright statement that he would then be able to make his own profitable movies using that company. This is a clear violation of trademark (not copyright as such - that would be the use of specific characters such as Ambassador Soval), in that Mr. Peters intends to turn a profit using something that started with the Star Trek trademark. This left CBS/Paramount with little option but to sue, or to abandon the trademark themselves. Obviously, with the success of CBS All-Access hanging upon their sole ownership of the upcoming Star Trek TV series, they weren't about to give up the trademark, so it became time to call up their own (very expensive, I'm quite sure, and thus not casually employed) legal team.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.