Install Arc
Options

Who would like the ships from the new movies in the game

13»

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    artan42 wrote: »
    The catgirls were not Caitians. Whatever people say off screen doesn't count as canon.

It might not technically count as canon, but the statement of someone who worked on the movie counts a hell of a lot more than some random person on a message board.

And is still not canon. He also seems to be unaware of what Caitians look like else he would't have said the humans with pointed ears and a tail were Caitians.
    thetanine wrote: »
    khan5000 wrote: »
    No way, it's a totally different style (and also outside the licence). Not against some of the styles inspiring stuff in STO (I believe the Vengence class snuck in in a way - but thankfully wasn't as ugly as in STID). I'm more interested in taking some tips from their interior style - maybe not as starship but ground areas or another faction.

More interested in getting some of the species in (weirdly, JJverse is not keen on using canon aliens, so far just Klingons, Vulcans and Orion) as they would exist in the prime reality and some look quite interesting. Make a reimagining of some.

Also Romulans...Caitians (the twin cat girls in bed with Kirk were confirmed to be Caitian), the also mention Gorn

The catgirls were not Caitians. Whatever people say off screen doesn't count as canon.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Caitian

And? The wiki is also not canon.

Memory Alpha's point of view for content derived from the television series and the theatrical films is "in-universe", which means that the information will be written from the point of view of an archivist at the Memory Alpha library facility. This information is the total extent of the canon on the site.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Memory_Alpha:Content_policy_FAQ#What_does_.22in-universe.22_and_.22supplementary.22_mean_exactly.3F

So would you like to highlight the part of the article that uses a canon source that refers to the catgirls as Caitians?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    anazonda wrote: »
    Wrong universe...

Also, the Enterprise is pretty much destroyed in the new movie, so...

The Enterprise is pretty much destroyed in every Star Trek movie lol.​​

True... But this time around looks like it's for good...
    • One nacelle broken off,
    • Looks like the neck breaks too
    • Roughly 20% of the saucer obliterated
    • And the crew abandons ship in escape pods...

Add to this...

Very few scenes is seen on the ship (apart from when it's being torn to shreds).
    Some of the wreackage we see on the planet also looks like a JJ-Prise saucer.
    The Ship we DO see the crew on, seems non-starfleet.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

It might not technically count as canon, but the statement of someone who worked on the movie counts a hell of a lot more than some random person on a message board.

And is still not canon. He also seems to be unaware of what Caitians look like else he would't have said the humans with pointed ears and a tail were Caitians.​​

I agree his statement wasn't canon. But "not canon" and "not correct" are 2 different things. So while "not canon", I take the word of someone who was actually hired by the IP holder over a random joe. Also, I agree the girl we saw in ST09 does not look like the previously portrayed Caitains. And guess what? Neither do the JJ-Klingons. But they are still Klingon. So your argument that she can't be Caitian because she doesn't look like one fails.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,145 Community Moderator
    They were never identified on screen as Caitians. And frankly, they could be any species that has a tail. Caitians just happen to be the only one that comes to mind in Star Trek. There were several alien species shown that were never identified, such as Keenser's species.

While they may have been referred to as Caitians in production notes, they never were identified as such on screen.

As to the Klingon argument... TOS Klingons looked nothing like TNG Klingons. The reboot Klingons could be a group that wasn't affected by the Augment Virus. There was no indication that the entire species was affected by it. Only ones that we saw in TOS. Then they became the versions we know in TMP with no explanation other than a handwave "They always looked like that".

To take a feline species and just turn them into pretty much a generic humanoid with a tail... no. Those twins were not Caitian.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Maybe they're Caitian/Human hybrids? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I think a couple of things should be considered when considering bringing JJ Trek into STO.

The first is that the ship(s) would probably need to come with either a trait or special console where there's a chance of casting random lensflares, thus blinding the enemy(?).

The other is a possible custom design of the interior where the engine room looks suspiciously like a beer brewery.
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Because Star Trek has never changed the appearance of a race just for the hell of it....TMP Klingons, TNG Romulans, Borg in First Contact. The makers of the film called them Caitian...they're Caitian. There's no onscreen confirmation that the green skinned girl is an Orion but it doesn't keep us from saying she is.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    And guess what? Neither do the JJ-Klingons. But they are still Klingon.

Are you kidding? Of course they look like Klingons. Specifically like the TMP versions.
    Some piercings on their head does not make them so different you'd fail to recognise them as Klingons unless you're blind or just being obtuse.

I'd assume they found Worf's DNA on the Nerada's tenticels or something and reverse engineered their cure early without going through the TUC stage.
    Because Star Trek has never changed the appearance of a race just for the hell of it....TMP Klingons, TNG Romulans, Borg in First Contact. The makers of the film called them Caitian...they're Caitian. There's no onscreen confirmation that the green skinned girl is an Orion but it doesn't keep us from saying she is.

The Klingons were explained as still being Klingons no matter how dramatic their transformation.
    The Romulans got the addition of a tiny brow ridge, and the Borg got new costumes, The Orion is a green skinned Humanoid in both realities, it makes no difference as you can extrapolate her race.

A tail and pointed ears does not make a Caitian.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,145 Community Moderator
    And guess what? Neither do the JJ-Klingons. But they are still Klingon.

Are you kidding? Of course they look like Klingons. Specifically like the TMP versions.
    Some piercings on their head does not make them so different you'd fail to recognise them as Klingons unless you're blind or just being obtuse.

I'd assume they found Worf's DNA on the Nerada's tenticels or something and reverse engineered their cure early without going through the TUC stage.

The Klingons were explained as still being Klingons no matter how dramatic their transformation.
    The Romulans got the addition of a tiny brow ridge, and the Borg got new costumes, The Orion is a green skinned Humanoid in both realities, it makes no difference as you can extrapolate her race.

A tail and pointed ears does not make a Caitian.​​

Agreed with artan on the "Caitians".
    latest?cb=20051124061813&path-prefix=en
    latest?cb=20061205201828&path-prefix=en
    These are Caitians.

latest?cb=20131001161932&path-prefix=en
    This... I honestly don't know how you go from a clearly feline species to humanoid with a tail. The guy who worked on the movie may have "Confirmed" they were Caitians... but the fact remains that that is a pretty drastic change. Moreso than the TOS-TMP change for Klingons. The only thing that really changed for the Klingons was the addition of ridges on the head.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Everyone knows that Memory Alpha is the canon Trek site and that Memory Beta is the non canon Trek site. I can't make it any clearer than that. Memory Alpha only has what's in the TV shows and Movies that are Star Trek. That is the definition of Canon for Star Trek.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Behold miracle of the Internet, a thread about ships from different timeline turned into a thread About meow-man.
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    ...However the main point that people seem to forget is that it supposed to be an alternate reality and not exactly like the prime universe...

Why would you want to continue the Star Trek franchise and decide to do that in an alternate reality that has major differences from the shows and movies that people have been watching and enjoying and that have a huge fan base for the past 50 years? Just because you can? I think I've posted an honest and straightforward question here based on your observation.

Obviously, this is totally my opinion, but if what you said is true, this is ridiculous. It's like saying the Star Trek Universe isn't good enough or rich enough or vast enough to continue making viable movies with. It's all about the director.

The folks who are making Axanar have the right idea. Fleshing out the past using canon (what already exists).

Leave Abrams Trek out of STO. The developers at Cryptic are already making up ships that don't exist in canon (Prime Universe) Trek. That should be enough without bringing in ships from Trek alternate realities. And this isn't Mirror Universe...it's alternate reality...whatever the heck that is.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Yes, it is interesting that the time travel mumbo jumbo changed things enough to change the Caitian, Klingon, and Gorn species in dramatic ways, yet the crew from TOS, in its entirety, is still on the bridge of the Enterprise. Not to mention the idea that the Enterprise got to be more advanced because "they took scans of Nero's ship" and yet, the upgraded ship has taken no apparent design cues from the Nardia?

I call Shenanigans.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    goodscotch wrote: »
    ...However the main point that people seem to forget is that it supposed to be an alternate reality and not exactly like the prime universe...

Why would you want to continue the Star Trek franchise and decide to do that in an alternate reality that has major differences from the shows and movies that people have been watching and enjoying and that have a huge fan base for the past 50 years? Just because you can? I think I've posted an honest and straightforward question here based on your observation.

Obviously, this is totally my opinion, but if what you said is true, this is ridiculous. It's like saying the Star Trek Universe isn't good enough or rich enough or vast enough to continue making viable movies with. It's all about the director.

The folks who are making Axanar have the right idea. Fleshing out the past using canon (what already exists).

Leave Abrams Trek out of STO. The developers at Cryptic are already making up ships that don't exist in canon (Prime Universe) Trek. That should be enough without bringing in ships from Trek alternate realities. And this isn't Mirror Universe...it's alternate reality...whatever the heck that is.

The main reason it's an alternative reality...Star Trek rights are tied up between two companies right now. By creating their own alternative universe Paramount can do what ever they want without impacting anything CBS wants to do. CBS has a new show coming out and right now neither company has to worry about stepping on each other's toes.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    bergins wrote: »
    Yes, it is interesting that the time travel mumbo jumbo changed things enough to change the Caitian, Klingon, and Gorn species in dramatic ways, yet the crew from TOS, in its entirety, is still on the bridge of the Enterprise. Not to mention the idea that the Enterprise got to be more advanced because "they took scans of Nero's ship" and yet, the upgraded ship has taken no apparent design cues from the Nardia?

I call Shenanigans.

Changing the look of a race for no reason at all is as Trek as it gets. The Klingons underwent a change for TMP and it didn't get canon explained until Enterprise. We still don't have an explanation for the Romulan brows.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Who would like the ships from the new movies in the game

no. why? because cryptic's design is enough for faw and the poor combat system.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    The main reason it's an alternative reality...Star Trek rights are tied up between two companies right now. By creating their own alternative universe Paramount can do what ever they want without impacting anything CBS wants to do. CBS has a new show coming out and right now neither company has to worry about stepping on each other's toes.

Thanks for this. Now I understand why it was done. Appreciate the continued patient input. That's the only way this makes sense. Because, again, my opinion, to me...it's bizarre. Thanks again.

klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    @thetanine Memory Alpha does not only use canon sources, it also uses what ever some editors can get away with. ST canon is the films and TV shows. There is no line in ID that referes to the catgirls as caitians ergo any mention of them as caitians on Memory Alpha or elsewhere is still not canon.
    It's really not hard. The Orions in 09 and ID are not named but, as they are identical to the prime Orions it can be extrapolated that that's what they are. The catgirls are nothing like caitians other than having a tail and pointed ears.

The Klingon example is disingenuous as, thoug there was a dramatic apearance change, the TOS and later Klingons are explicitly the same as stated on-screen. The same goes for the Trills. No other race has changed in the same way that would require anything other than a handwave to explain.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    I would so totally want the dreadnought from the second movie

Read. My. Sig.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    No, no, and no.
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    @thetanine Memory Alpha does not only use canon sources, it also uses what ever some editors can get away with. ST canon is the films and TV shows. There is no line in ID that referes to the catgirls as caitians ergo any mention of them as caitians on Memory Alpha or elsewhere is still not canon.
    It's really not hard. The Orions in 09 and ID are not named but, as they are identical to the prime Orions it can be extrapolated that that's what they are. The catgirls are nothing like caitians other than having a tail and pointed ears.

The Klingon example is disingenuous as, thoug there was a dramatic apearance change, the TOS and later Klingons are explicitly the same as stated on-screen. The same goes for the Trills. No other race has changed in the same way that would require anything other than a handwave to explain.

Yeah I was never trying to say those sexy chicks were catty. I just noticed the ref to Memory Alpha and so there are quite a few people who do regard that site as canon since they push to only have what has been shown by Paramount, CBS, et. al.

There is nothing so persnickity than a Star Trek Play By Email Roleplaying Game. And I was part of one for about a year or so...give or take more or less.

Anyways, if you look at Memory Alpha vs. Memory Beta, you'll see there is a drive to keep canon in the first and everything else in the latter.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :D​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    As a point of personal preference I honestly hope none of the JJverse ships ever make it into STO. I generally have enjoyed pretty much every Trek ship design to one degree or another... until those. The Enterprise looks like one of those anime super-deformed ships, and the rest are just aesthetically unappealing (trying to be polite), especially the insanely ugly Vengeance. And anyway, they are from another timeline and long ago, so wouldn't make sense anyway.
    Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
    STO-sig.jpg
  • Options
    astrorobla wrote: »
    As a point of personal preference I honestly hope none of the JJverse ships ever make it into STO. I generally have enjoyed pretty much every Trek ship design to one degree or another... until those. The Enterprise looks like one of those anime super-deformed ships, and the rest are just aesthetically unappealing (trying to be polite), especially the insanely ugly Vengeance. And anyway, they are from another timeline and long ago, so wouldn't make sense anyway.
    *flies past in donut*
    lapland_by_marhawkman-d83rd6y.png
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    As much as any of us might love to have ANYTHING from the reboot movies... legally we can't get anything. Not even a Phaser Pistol. STO has free reign of everything up to Nemesis and Enterprise as those are owned by CBS. Paramount owns the new movies.

I would have loved a Phaser Compression Pistol like the reboot pistol, and the uniforms.

Too true. Only I would love to have the texture of their uniforms, and Sulu's folding sword, but alas, never to be.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    It's been a while since the last Star Trek movie came out. But the Sovereign and Scimitar-classes are already in the game. Sovereign however can use a makeover.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    The Avenger is a expy of Warship Voyager not the Vengeance.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    The Avenger is a expy of Warship Voyager not the Vengeance.​​
    *points at intel ships*
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    The Avenger is a expy of Warship Voyager not the Vengeance.
    *points at intel ships*

Yeah? I know they are, I said the Avenger wasn't.​​

#TASforSTO