test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Idea: Buying Dilithium with EC

Comments

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    of course there is a way to kind of trade zen for EC by buying an item with zen you are allowed to sell for EC in game like keys, and although you cant dircectly buy zen with EC there are a few items that can only normally buy with zen that can be purchased for EC through the exchange.

don't expect anything more then this ever, if it did happen I predict the game will cease shortly thereafter.

what with the other thread http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1207683/the-economy from players who seem hell bent on ruining the EC exchange economy and now this thread from players who seem hell bent on ruining the dil<>zen exchange and $$ economy I am beginning to think some players want the game to end.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• jaffastargatejaffastargate Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    i Got a Few Things to point out. Ppl love Lockbox ships Right? They are gotten by a HUGE amount of Zen. And promo ships also.
    it would only make the key price go up.. there would be a rise in the prices in general... and More ppl would infact want to buy zen to get Super rich in ec To get they're ships that would be hell expensive after this. and Zen.. does not magicly apear out of nowhere. That is only Probably going to be a Shock within the first 2 Weeks MAX.
    It is Fairly Obvious that They Don't Want me to Stick around.

08E90F14F47C7BC013D19B2D5E9591D78C4185F9
    edited November 2015
    i Got a Few Things to point out. Ppl love Lockbox ships Right? They are gotten by a HUGE amount of Zen. And promo ships also.
    it would only make the key price go up.. there would be a rise in the prices in general... and More ppl would infact want to buy zen to get Super rich in ec To get they're ships that would be hell expensive after this. and Zen.. does not magicly apear out of nowhere. That is only Probably going to be a Shock within the first 2 Weeks MAX.

you are correct that the zen in the game does not magically appear out of nowhere, most of it is paid for with money.
    surprisingly enough most zen purchases are not to buy c-store items directly but to buy dilithium, if suddenly players can get dilithium from trading EC cryptic will loose a shed load of money in zen purchases.
    if you cannot see the sense in this I see no point in continuing this conversation further.

fortunately cryptic know the reality of the situation and will never allow this to happen.

well.. That is Only Partly True.. But ppl Do require EC aswell.. and buy zen to Get ec. and Ec-Dil trading would make it easyer for them. and i think that a Very big portion of zen is Actually spent on Keys. and i dont blame them.. i buy some.. 200 Keys each week Min. and that is some 225$ They Indirectly get from me. i buy the keys with EC. and actually.. the more i buy.. the more the ppl will buy to get the EC. would work same with Dill-EC... Ppl would buy dill to get zen or to upgrade.. and ppl would buy zen to get all the swarming Dil or EC. it would Just make the whole thing.. Bigger... more options..

• tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    and Zen.. does not magicly apear out of nowhere.
    Stipend is magically generated every month the game exists without any additional walleting.

/channel_join grind
  • yukonsamyukonsam Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    I'm no economist, but it looks like a recipe for a hyperinflation spiral on an already devalued currency. There would be a few winners in such a scenario, and they would win BIG, but at the expense of the rest of the player base.

If there's a specific scenario in which players need heaps of dilithium for legitimate purposes (I eat through mountains of the stuff when I'm upgrading gear), it would be productive to focus on those systems and question whether the dilithium requirement could be reduced or eliminated without unnecessarily impacting the system as a whole -- does the need for which that dilithium sink was implemented still exist? Cryptic has the metrics to answer that question.

But allowing free exchange is like using a photon torpedo to swat Botalian swamp flies. It might accomplish the goal, but there are certain... side-effects.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    Mrsmitty,

That's a good idea. It wouldn't change the refinement cap, only the amount of ore waiting to be refined... Would still require patience and time to refine it...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • mcgrizzled86mcgrizzled86 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    mrsmitty81 wrote: »
    Maybe make Rich dilithium mining tokens available to buy with EC. That would be a way for people to spend their ec and it would only slightly increase the amount of dilithium on the market as you can only use one once a day.

I could also see them possibly allowing you to buy different kinds of dilithium vouchers for EC. Like the Fleet Dilithium Vouchers we got for the Delta Recruit event. So you might be able to buy 'dil' with EC, but it can only be spent on specific things. They could add ones for R&D, upgrades, etc. It would still have some impact on the market since it would displace needing to spend regular dil on some things, but not technically add anything directly to the exchange.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    yukonsam wrote: »
    The primary point of dilithium is to have a currency that can be earned in game (at a strictly-controlled rate) that non-paying customers can exchange for zen to use in the cash shop. Making dilithium freely exchangeable for EC, which isn't regulated in the same way, would wreck merry hell not only with the in-game economy, but possibly the real-world revenue stream that keeps the game afloat.

Never say never... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Well said, we don't need another market for people to try and control, and/or ruin for others!!!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

Well.. Ec for Dill Upgrade Vouchers or Dill Reputation Vouchers would actually be a few of the nicest things in there. and hey.. you could Easly do it all if they put em in vendors.. you buy Voucher dill for X ec per voucher for specific thing.

• earwigvr6earwigvr6 Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    I am sure you will have plenty of EC after all the people you have conned in the game eh ? :pensive:
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Stipend is magically generated every month the game exists without any additional walleting.

Stipend is not magically generated, it is a benefit Gold membership, purchased either from a Monthly or a Lifetime Sub. To my knowledge, you cannot acquire either form of Gold membership via magic.

As to the OP:
      Energy Credits -> Contraband -> time -> dilithium -> Zen -> Master Keys/Fleet Ship Modules/Ship Upgrade Tokens/Doff Packs (preferably "Promotion!" versions)/R&D Packs (preferably "Promotion!" versions) -> Energy Credits -> repeat.

Entering that cycle at any point allows you to follow that cycle to acquire the resource you desire. No, it's not exciting. Yes, time is a component of that cycle.
    Post edited by breadandcircuses on
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • theearthdragontheearthdragon Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    The OP is plainly shortsighted. Whatever they are trying to get would IMMEDIATELY get out out of reach as the exchange rates would get out of hand on all fronts.
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    EC actually usefull for stuff? what?!
    Well.. EC is ofc useful. you can get lockbox ships.. such TRIBBLE.. for EC. lol

Stipend is not magically generated, it is a benefit Gold membership, purchased either from a Monthly or a Lifetime Sub. To my knowledge, you cannot acquire either form of Gold membership via magic.

As to the OP:
      Energy Credits -> Contraband -> time -> dilithium -> Zen -> Master Keys/Fleet Ship Modules/Ship Upgrade Tokens/Doff Packs (preferably "Promotion!" versions)/R&D Packs (preferably "Promotion!" versions) -> Energy Credits -> repeat.

Entering that cycle at any point allows you to follow that cycle to acquire the resource you desire. No, it's not exciting. Yes, time is a component of that cycle.

Stipend, is generally a payback or reduction in cost for subscribing!

As an example, each month you get $5 worth of zen for being a subscriber, so if you are a monthly sub paying $14-15, you get basically $5 worth of zen to spend, so basically it's almost like paying $9-10 a month.

For a lifer who paid $200-300, getting that $5 zen stipend, is like getting paid back $5 each month over time, so basically it pays for itself over the course of 1.3 [$200] - 5 years [$300].

And while it isn't exactly $$$ being paid back, it is keeping you from having to spend that extra $5 each month, for anything you might want related to zen purchasing/trading.

• mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    that sounds interesting, ec to rep/fleet project dilli vouchers......hmmm.............​​
    edited November 2015
    Well.. Ec for Dill Upgrade Vouchers or Dill Reputation Vouchers would actually be a few of the nicest things in there. and hey.. you could Easly do it all if they put em in vendors.. you buy Voucher dill for X ec per voucher for specific thing.

there have been many suggestions of this nature in the past usually as a way to bypass the 8k refinement issue such as allowing players to fill rep projects with unrefined dil, buying fleet vouchers with unrefined dil or even opting to have anything over the 8k limit earned each day paid as fleet vouchers.

lets put that one to bed now, it aint hapnin, dil vouchers were a one time reward for the delta event never to be used for anything else, anything that interferes with the quantity of usable dilithium coming into and out of the system on a regular basis is a big no no.

despite the fact that it appears harmless it would devastate the sto economy in no time flat as would anything that has been suggested in this entire thread.

there have been many suggestions of this nature in the past usually as a way to bypass the 8k refinement issue such as allowing players to fill rep projects with unrefined dil, buying fleet vouchers with unrefined dil or even opting to have anything over the 8k limit earned each day paid as fleet vouchers.

lets put that one to bed now, it aint hapnin, dil vouchers were a one time reward for the delta event never to be used for anything else, anything that interferes with the quantity of usable dilithium coming into and out of the system on a regular basis is a big no no.

despite the fact that it appears harmless it would devastate the sto economy in no time flat as would anything that has been suggested in this entire thread.

I believe you are a tad confused, on what dilithium vouchers are used for!!!

They are used for rich dilithium mining, and come primarily from lockboxes.

• samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    It is a F2P game so we can't have a true open market like say Eve Online... an unfortunate event but the pros still out way the cons.
    edited November 2015

it is you who are confused, the things you speak of that are used for rich dilithium mining are 'mining claims' as explained here >
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Dilithium_Mining_Claim

dilithium vouchers were used during the delta recruit event for awarding dilithium that did not require refining and could be donated to fleet & reputation projects.

see the page here > https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9116343-delta-recruitment-rewards
    and take particular note of this part that explains the use of dilithium vouchers.

quote:-
    "Q: What are “Fleet-Only Dilithium” and “Reputation-Only Dilithium”?

A: These are special Vouchers that fulfill the same purpose as existing Dilithium, but can only be used to fulfill Project requirements for the respective features, either Fleets or Reputations. These Dilithium Vouchers does not need to be refined, and cannot be traded for Zen. Projects that require Dilithium will deduct from the appropriate Voucher pool before deducting from your Refined Dilithium."

if you read the OP`s comment you will see this is what they are referring to.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

edited November 2015

As to the OP:

originally I stated that ec could not be used to buy dilithium and although this method can be used to gain extra dil ore my original statement stands as correct, you cannot use ec to buy refined dilithium and was the premise of this thread.
    sure you can buy contraband to turn into dilithium ore but this still has to be refined in the normal way so a player who does this is not gaining a lot, also as contraband is released into the game at a set rate and is not in infinite supply if too many players start using this method the quantity of contraband on the market would soon be exhausted this would lead to contraband becoming a rare and much sought after item that would inevitably lead to higher ec prices on the sale of contraband in the market.

there is no getting away from the fact that refined dilithium is strictly controlled by the devs and they are not going to let this control slip.
    this means vetoing anything you can think of that lets you get your hands on large quantities of refined dilithium without using zen.

this includes altering the rate at which you can refine dil, buying dil vouchers with an in game currency or buying refined dilithium with any in game currency other then zen.

• cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    If people feel that dil is to hard to get large amounts of refined dil there are two methods that work, and then two suggestions that would work:

1.) create lots of alts, grind.

2.) buy refined dil off the dil exchange.

Or Cyptic could do this:

1.) remove the 8k limit of refining dil per day, make it unlimited.

2.) remove the dill exchange and make dil tradeable. Even allow players to pack it into boxes and sell on the exchange for ec.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    Having unlimited conversion would indeed upset the game balance. However, we already have two DOFF missions that allow for extra Dilithium refining--the 1k per 48 hours one at Starfleet/KDF Academies, and the 500 daily one at the Fleet Dilithium mine.

So, how about an additional DOFF mission that allows you to refine an extra 1-2k each day at the expense of a sufficiently large amount of EC?

it is you who are confused, the things you speak of that are used for rich dilithium mining are 'mining claims' as explained here >

dilithium vouchers were used during the delta recruit event for awarding dilithium that did not require refining and could be donated to fleet & reputation projects.

see the page here > https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9116343-delta-recruitment-rewards
    and take particular note of this part that explains the use of dilithium vouchers.

A: These are special Vouchers that fulfill the same purpose as existing Dilithium, but can only be used to fulfill Project requirements for the respective features, either Fleets or Reputations. These Dilithium Vouchers does not need to be refined, and cannot be traded for Zen. Projects that require Dilithium will deduct from the appropriate Voucher pool before deducting from your Refined Dilithium."

It's the way you worded it, there is a huge difference between fleet dilithium voucher, and simply a dilithium voucher!!!

Neither will be made available for sale, you can bet on this!

edited November 2015

It's the way you worded it, there is a huge difference between fleet dilithium voucher, and simply a dilithium voucher!!!

there is no difference at all fleet dilithium voucher, reputation dilithium voucher or just dilithium voucher all refer to similar things a voucher for dilithium that does not require refining and can be spent on the thing they are aimed at.
    even in the quote that I showed from the delta event web page you can see that these things are collectively known as dilithium vouchers in the part that says "These Dilithium Vouchers does not need to be refined, and cannot be traded for Zen."

mining claims or dilithium mining claims are used for mining rich dilithium veins at the asteroid mining field.

I cannot see how you can confuse one with the other, mining claims have never been referred to in the game as dilithium vouchers or anywhere else that i am aware of and if you read the other posters comment like I suggested you would clearly see that dilithium mining claims are not what is being discussed.

there was nothing wrong with my wording it was just you who was wrong in how you misinterpreted what you were reading.

• a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    The OP is plainly shortsighted. Whatever they are trying to get would IMMEDIATELY get out out of reach as the exchange rates would get out of hand on all fronts.

Wow, such wisdom from an early stage. I'll have to rethink my generalizations.

And as for the OP: yeah....you have a motive to do such an insane thing. As if hyper inflation on the exchange wasn't bad enough, now you're just adding napalm to an inferno.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • jamesstjamesjamesstjames Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    You can buy contraband on the exchange, turn in 5 for 2K Dilithium. 2 hour cooldown on project means you can easily hit max refine limit every day. End result is 45K average price for contraband means you are paying less than 250K per 2K dilihtium ore. Problem solved.

That's my method. Which is why I always get baffled when people talk about the relentless grind for dil. I hit my cap with pretty much zero effort which lets me merrily play the game and see that as a quick side quest.

As for the concept as a whole - it's a little backwards. The two different currencies have very different uses. EC is stupidly easy to get hold of and primarily used on the exchange whilst dil is more often than not a "work for it" type thing for luxury items.

Merging the two would just cause more problems than solve them (not that there is a problem) - as others have pointed out with past efforts.
    tumblr_meud0dq0CT1rq8ga2o1_250.gif

there is no difference at all fleet dilithium voucher, reputation dilithium voucher or just dilithium voucher all refer to similar things a voucher for dilithium that does not require refining and can be spent on the thing they are aimed at.
    even in the quote that I showed from the delta event web page you can see that these things are collectively known as dilithium vouchers in the part that says "These Dilithium Vouchers does not need to be refined, and cannot be traded for Zen."

mining claims or dilithium mining claims are used for mining rich dilithium veins at the asteroid mining field.

I cannot see how you can confuse one with the other, mining claims have never been referred to in the game as dilithium vouchers or anywhere else that i am aware of and if you read the other posters comment like I suggested you would clearly see that dilithium mining claims are not what is being discussed.

there was nothing wrong with my wording it was just you who was wrong in how you misinterpreted what you were reading.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/voucher?s=t

Look in the noun section related to debt, you will find the word claim, so it's not hard to see how either term, can be confused for the other!!!

edited November 2015

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/voucher?s=t

Look in the noun section related to debt, you will find the word claim, so it's not hard to see how either term, can be confused for the other!!!

we are talking about the use of the term dilithium vouchers in star trek online here not use of vouchers in general terminology and I think you know that fully well, your beginning to make yourself look like a fool carrying on in this way and grasping at straws to explain away your obvious error, everyone who plays the game and pays attention to what is happening in the game knows the difference between mining claims and dilithium vouchers.

I suggest you go back to your thesaurus and search "dilithium vouchers" and see how far you get.
    or better still just go on google and search for "dilithium vouchers"

then get your head out of your @rse and start paying attention.