test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Curse of being a Veteran (And Others Ignorance)

semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
So I've come to realize that as more and more people are going towards advanced and elite runs now that the more people are getting mad when they ASSUME that someone is not pulling their weight. Now don't get me wrong this is not a new issue but that doesn't mean you spend an hour PMing someone basically trying to flame and troll someone. I get that the current meta is pew pew the everything and sadly a lot of players fall into the category of if everything doesn't explode in 5 seconds or less somebody just sucks.
To give a little back story this rant/venting of mine started with a Counterpoint Advanced. Anyone who knows me knows that I run a PartG R'Mor well in the last 2 phases of the fight I parked on terok nor and proceeded to CC / Draw aggro / destroy terok and the spawns. To which 3 of the 5 man team starting yelling at me to stop leeching. Now this is where the ignorance comes in. Anyone who would've looked at my ship and not it's distance would've seen gravity wells TBR Resonance Beam and a load of weapons fire coming from my ship as well as my Photonic ships + delta beacon.
Just because someone has a ship that is tough enough to park and tank while dishing out damage doesn't not mean leech nor do you have to spend half an hour trying to flame and troll them and then go to ESD to start badmouthing someone either.

Basically learn a PVE and possible strategies as well as see what your teammates bring to the table before you make accusations. END RANT.
tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

Comments

• semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    I should also note that at the end of the fight I had the second highest damage dealt thanks to the last phase.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Ignore list works wonders for trolls and flamers.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    One of my captains flies a Fleet Scryer which I'm still gearing up. He regularly gets first place in CCA and 1/3 of the DPS is from grav well 3 buffed with pgens, traits, etc.

I haven't been accused of leeching but that's because I also zip around, pew pew and torp spread. But SCIENCE! damage does not need to be pew pew.
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    It happens a lot these days. Funniest is when the one guy calling everyone noobs has the lowest DPS.

What irks me the most are the guys doing high DPS who feel the need to post the DPS scores of everyone. It basically saying "look how big my epeen is!"

Ahh well thank God for the ignore function.
  • kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    I tend to ignore people like that, but keep in mind that they may have their graphics settings on low or may be having some kind of graphics issues that does not allow them to see your grav wells. Or they're just little turds who have learned a narrow skill path and don't understand.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Its because the game has become a DPS race. There is a set DPS standard in the game and basically if you don't measure up, then you're not worth playing with. People forget that CASUAL gamers exist and that we don't all spend hours, days, months, playing a single game to be a top tier damage dealer.

I play a game to have FUN, regardless if that means I deal low damage. But some people just can't have fun unless they are winning everything they do.

I run a hybrid build on most of my ships. It doesn't deal high end damage. But I get by and I have fun doing it. Fact is, this content is here for ALL of us to play, not just the elitist DPS'ers. IF they don't want to play with low damage dealers, then they can just play amongst themselves and stop going into the public queues demanding DPS perfection.

Personally, I hate being "carried" through an event or stf. So as long as I make sure I'm not just sitting or flying around doing nothing, then I am contributing. Pfffft sometimes someone's damage output is so high, they complete everything before I even get a chance to pew pew lol. Is that my fault though? No. I just happened to get paired with someone who is uber strong.

There is definitely a divide between the DPS community which is obsessed with damage, and the casual gamers who just want to have fun, even if it means losing (oh no god forbid the world is ending because we lost a game!!!)

Basically, ignore the people that give you s**t even when you are contributing. I agree that leeching sucks. But not having high DPS, or not flying around like a maniac =/= leeching. What flawed logic that is.

Its my experience that people like the DPS'ers who get mad at others who don't deal as much as they do, tend to have little to no lives or nothing else to care about besides the game and their virtual items and damage that is (in the bigger scheme of life) irrelevant. Ignore those people. Don't play with them if you can help it.

If someone wants to help you increase your DPS, well then that's nice. Not that you have to listen. But here's the thing about games. You don't have to be the best to have fun. Games are supposed to be FUN first and foremost.

I'm sorry someone gave you TRIBBLE because you were contributing in a way in which you shined.
    7aamriW.png
  • kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Science based tactics and strategies are the most counterintuitive to the pew pew crowd. This is me speaking as a Tac main who tries to incorporate such things into his play, for the variety of it more than anything else.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    My advice? Shrug, ignore and keep on playing. Such situations are rather rare and can be ignored witout consequences.
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I don't even bother with advanced and elites anymore because of the people OP describe. I don't even do the normals of the borg missions because of the B* during them.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I keep team chat off.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I go on Advanced queues with my fleet; beyond that, I don't go into them. I'll do Normals just to keep myself in practice, but I've got everything I want out of the game, and DPS bores me. I'm perfectly happy being someone not worth playing with, as @johnwatson71 says. It was never one of my goals in the first place. It will continue to not be one of my goals.

At nearly 55 years old, I should worry about what an under-30 thinks of my DPS?
    boldly-watched.png
  • lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    It happens a lot these days. Funniest is when the one guy calling everyone noobs has the lowest DPS.

hahahah that's so true

........ and I leech, coz I don't want to play the same queue 20 times that's going to reward less than others and takes up 3 times as long.
    Well the major issue is that high PartG builds are spike Dpsers l. Meaning that when our skills are active the damage is unreal sadly we have long cooldowns between the skills so our Dps tends to go in a /\_/\_/\ pattern most players don't get this.

• potencethe1stpotencethe1st Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    So let me get this straight. The point of the last wave in CP is to get assault teams to the enemy base from your base, right?

You do know that mark totals are based on how many objectives get met, right?

And yet you parked over the enemy base, ignored the objectives, got called a leech for it, then came to general discussion and made a post about how you're a vet and you wanna school some people?

Just checking.

Until these questions are answered I can only assume the following:

-oP is the ignorant person his inflammatory post refers to, chastising dos players for calling him a leech because he was actually leeching (he didn't do the objective)

-thread is filled with bandwagon anti dps low performers who completely miss the facts

-piling on to berate the dps crowd ensues.

Here is a dose of reality:

You ignlred the objective, insuring lower mark rewards for all involved, then come put them on blast for calling you out.

itt:
    Underperformed can't accept responsibility for actions and scapegoats dps crowd to get his low iq followers to pile on.
    edited November 2015
    Ever tried to beam down an assault team and get a Torpedo cause nobody had the aggro? Also the first phase 2 people constantly died. Because I had aggro we got the teams we needed I had us meet the optional for keeping terok down and because the guys were able to fly in and out with no trouble they were able to keep the spawns down on ds9 and it took no damage. Also we got every optional and i clustered the last phase together so it got torp spread and resonance beamed into oblivion. BUT I was still called a leech and got flamed for half an hour. That clear it up or are you just being a troll?
    Ps. The first 2 phases I was moving around and doing the objectives like closing the portals. So as I said before ignorance in play don't ASSUME somebody isn't doing what's required.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Well said OP. I'm with you.
    I could probably be considered a veteran myself, as I've been around since just before F2P. I've been on the recieving end of rants from the DPS chasers as well and frankly... I get sick of it too. While I may not be pulling UBER EPIC 20k+ DPS in my ships because of my playstyle, damage type, and tactics, I frickin' LIVE LONGER than some of the glass cannons out there. I think before my revamp of my Phased Tetryon build I averaged about a consistant 7.8k DPS, which IMO is still pretty respectable.

I mean seriously... stop berating other players for their percieved "failings" and assuming they're idiots.

If the DPS Chasers want people to "get on their level", don't frickin' insult their abilities. Offer advice, ask questions after the STF, do SOMETHING that could be considered helpful. If you've got a problem with PUGs, then go play with your fellow DPS chasers and challenge each other. Don't take it out on everyone else because they don't follow your DPS Mentality. Some of us are here to have FUN.

If I see someone struggling, I'm more inclined to offer advice.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Why I don't do advanced or elite anymore. Not worth it.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    edited November 2015
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    I go on Advanced queues with my fleet; beyond that, I don't go into them. I'll do Normals just to keep myself in practice, but I've got everything I want out of the game, and DPS bores me. I'm perfectly happy being someone not worth playing with, as @johnwatson71 says. It was never one of my goals in the first place. It will continue to not be one of my goals.

At nearly 55 years old, I should worry about what an under-30 thinks of my DPS?

I do hope it was clear that its not me who thinks low dps is not worth playing with. Because I don't, as a low dps'er myself lol. But same, its not one of my goals or something I worry about. If there is an opportunity available for me to improve and I have the means to do it, then I'll take it. But DPS is not my reason for playing this game and if others see me as a worthless player because of that, then so be it. I'll be the one having fun while they TRIBBLE and moan that they either have no one to play with or complain that they have to play with the same people lol.
    7aamriW.png
  • shanker666shanker666 Member Posts: 57 Arc User

What irks me the most are the guys doing high DPS who feel the need to post the DPS scores of everyone. It basically saying "look how big my epeen is!"

What irks me is the people who come into a queue marked advanced/elite and have no idea what they're doing and undergeared to boot. I challenge you to get a group of 2k dps'ers and finish ISA, with all optionals...hell, just finish ISA with that group. Enough with the dps bashing, get your heads outta your backsides and learn to read:advanced/elite are for players who take time and learn how to play effectively. Normal queues are for people flying around having a good time with their buddies and fleetmates. Just play normal and you won't get flamed,or better yet, try improving yourself and learn how to play. Oh, wait, that's too much time and trouble,isn't it? Your idea of fun is not my idea of fun. I don't fly in normals and ruin your fun,stay outta advanced/elite and you won't ruin my fun. After all, that's what it's about, right? All of us having fun?

As far as people showing parses, that's pretty much only done in ISA, and mainly used to test builds for further refinement. And maybe, just maybe, some people show that so the others can see what they did in the stf. It isn't always to bust somebody's chops because they didn't contribute. Parses can be used as a learning tool also. By the way, I'm not an uber dps'er, just barely good enough to do elite queues, so I'm not an "elitist" either.

As far as the op's post, I'm sorry you got flamed for that because I fly a science toon also and you're correct: science damage and contributions are completely different than pure dps builds and some of the pure dps guys don't get that. If I saw you doing what you did in a Counterpoint I was in, I'd be happy that you were there, doing CC and taking aggro for me so I can land troops and kill stuff. Props to you for understanding that pure dps isn't always what's needed in every stf.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    shanker666 wrote: »

What irks me is the people who come into a queue marked advanced/elite and have no idea what they're doing and undergeared to boot. I challenge you to get a group of 2k dps'ers and finish ISA, with all optionals...hell, just finish ISA with that group. Enough with the dps bashing, get your heads outta your backsides and learn to read:advanced/elite are for players who take time and learn how to play effectively. Normal queues are for people flying around having a good time with their buddies and fleetmates. Just play normal and you won't get flamed,or better yet, try improving yourself and learn how to play. Oh, wait, that's too much time and trouble,isn't it? Your idea of fun is not my idea of fun. I don't fly in normals and ruin your fun,stay outta advanced/elite and you won't ruin my fun. After all, that's what it's about, right? All of us having fun?

As far as people showing parses, that's pretty much only done in ISA, and mainly used to test builds for further refinement. And maybe, just maybe, some people show that so the others can see what they did in the stf. It isn't always to bust somebody's chops because they didn't contribute. Parses can be used as a learning tool also. By the way, I'm not an uber dps'er, just barely good enough to do elite queues, so I'm not an "elitist" either.

As far as the op's post, I'm sorry you got flamed for that because I fly a science toon also and you're correct: science damage and contributions are completely different than pure dps builds and some of the pure dps guys don't get that. If I saw you doing what you did in a Counterpoint I was in, I'd be happy that you were there, doing CC and taking aggro for me so I can land troops and kill stuff. Props to you for understanding that pure dps isn't always what's needed in every stf.

Hell half the time I bring in a Sci heavy toon with GW and the like, half the DPS players kiss my tail because I make their job that much easier.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    edited November 2015
    shanker666 wrote: »

I was waiting for one of the DPS defenders to arrive and here you are. Right on time. At least you're punctual.

One of the best ways to learn how to do something is to do it head on. Sorry that ruins your day, but frankly, people shouldn't care if your day is ruined in a virtual game with no importance to real life. Everyone in this rididculus game has every right to go into whatever stf they want.

Like someone else said, if you have this pathological need to win everything, then party with people you know you can win with and leave everyone else alone and stop criticizing players who aren't OBSESSED with virtual non-existant space ship damage as you are.

Stop assuming that people have all the time in the world to play this game. Stop assuming that people's lives revolve around playing this game. Stop assuming that people have the same amount of investment in this game as you do. Stop telling people what they should be doing. Stop telling people how to play.

I could go on, but maybe you'll get the point. Basically if you think someone is a worthless player because they don't have precious virtual numbers, then you are a truly sad human being and I pity you.
    7aamriW.png
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    I don't even bother with advanced and elites anymore because of the people OP describe. I don't even do the normals of the borg missions because of the B* during them.

Exactly why I did exactly one stf back in season 5. Never again. That's also why I'm not happy defera and nukara got broke
    Spock.jpg

• lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    on a semi related topic, I was once parsing my build and came across this guy that was doing 80k dps with barely any weapons. He was doing insane GW damage, gravimetric torpedo rift damage, etc etc. I don't think he ran any beam weapons at all, it was just a collection of various (6-8) science skills listed adding up to 80k. Mighty impressed.

One of these days, I'm going to get the hang of building good science ships that's not weapon dependent
    I do that a lot sadly my overall dps is crappy die to cooldowns but when it spikes it's around 50k-100k depending on mob size

• lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2015
    Maybe I should hop back into my drain Palisade after I get my new shiny universal flow caps console tomorrow and look like I'm doing nothing when I actually am since drains don't even register in the combat log.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Maybe I should hop back into my drain Palisade after I get my new shiny universal flow caps console tomorrow and look like I'm doing nothing when I actually am since drains don't even register in the combat log.

But! But!... DPS!!!

Another thing... Does the log and DPS result show and give credit to the Engineer that used his EPS Power Transfer on someone? Or does the guy that get the parse just see his performance skyrocket and think that was all due to himself? >:)
    XzRTofz.gif
  • tomoyosakagami1tomoyosakagami1 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Seems players are more worried about who comes in the top 3 for damage than doing the actual STF itself from reading some of these comments.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Seems players are more worried about who comes in the top 3 for damage than doing the actual STF itself from reading some of these comments.

Agreed. And they don't care about anyone but their own precious numbers and how much you contribute to their numbers.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lenordhmccoylenordhmccoy Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I do whatever I do in an elite....I leave chat turned off and never check my DPS....I really could care less what anyone thinks of what I did or what I could have done...I go in shoot some stuff, get some sci skills off and whatever happens happens....I've been here since the game went live and have never checked my DPS ever...just not something I really care about...the point is go in and do what you can and have fun
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    I don't care about the other players, I mean what kind of builds they use, how many damages they can do etc. when I'm in a stf, I do what I must do, I take the rewards and ciao.

But i'm bored by 2 kinds of players: the "scimitar play style" players; they faw everything, and they don't do properly the stf. the false tanks, they think that they can tank everything, but they spend more time dead that helping the others; I use almost exclusively escorts or destroyers, and I'm able to stay alive in all the stfs.