test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So a T-6 Galaxy Dreadnought is coming. Can Cryptic please listen to Andrew Probert's opinion?

Comments

• leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    Even minus the black box, the Klingons did capture the Narada for around 30 years of study (that is acknowledged even in the final cut of the film) and since the Federation isn't speaking Klingonese, this suggests that they got their hands on some of the technology.

Now, I can certainly accept that things which didn't make it onscreen MIGHT not have happened... But I also take issue with the idea that not being on screen means they definitely didn't happen.

I think it is a fair assumption that deviations from the Prime timeline in the J.J.-verse happened as a result of the Narada and Jellyfish's temporal incursions. This is stated in the movies. It is an integral part of the THEMES of the 2009 film, which centered around Kirk as an angry young man whose destiny had been stolen from him by time travelers and who proceeds to steal his destiny (more or less) back. That's what the film is ABOUT.

Now, the explanations for the deviations may not be what the screenwriters wrote, spitballed, or developed and dropped at the director's insistence. But to suggest that there CAN BE NO EXPLANATIONS because we didn't see any is absolutely silly. The nature of the explanations may be subject to the needs of future writers. That explanations EXIST for the deviations (regardless of whether we ever know all of them) is integral to the story. You have to accept on faith that unknown explanations exist to appreciate the full story. And to reject that unknown explanations exist is forcing yourself to reject the full scope of the story.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Well I'd be damned, I am intrigued!
    6tviTDx.png

• twofatnutstwofatnuts Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Want or not Gal-X became an iconic ship in star trek canon stop struggling and accept it.

Personaly i love you cryptic finaly i get true t6 dreadnought :3

What with buffing uni ensign to lieutenant in t6 variant and lt. Commander in fleet t6? it could give some spice to already good dreadnought.
    Will there be 12th console slot in fleet t6? sci or engi+ 1???? no need for tac there is way too many fantastic uni consoles to chose from and i have almost all of them but sadly i have no more room in ship console slots :(
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    Well, I just got a temporary ship card on tribble.... for a T6 Defiant.
    <gasp!> A T6 Defiant?!? It's almost as if we had some sort of DS9-centric content push coming up! /s

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    Even minus the black box, the Klingons did capture the Narada for around 30 years of study (that is acknowledged even in the final cut of the film) and since the Federation isn't speaking Klingonese, this suggests that they got their hands on some of the technology.

Now, I can certainly accept that things which didn't make it onscreen MIGHT not have happened... But I also take issue with the idea that not being on screen means they definitely didn't happen.

I think it is a fair assumption that deviations from the Prime timeline in the J.J.-verse happened as a result of the Narada and Jellyfish's temporal incursions. This is stated in the movies. It is an integral part of the THEMES of the 2009 film, which centered around Kirk as an angry young man whose destiny had been stolen from him by time travelers and who proceeds to steal his destiny (more or less) back. That's what the film is ABOUT.

Now, the explanations for the deviations may not be what the screenwriters wrote, spitballed, or developed and dropped at the director's insistence. But to suggest that there CAN BE NO EXPLANATIONS because we didn't see any is absolutely silly. The nature of the explanations may be subject to the needs of future writers. That explanations EXIST for the deviations (regardless of whether we ever know all of them) is integral to the story. You have to accept on faith that unknown explanations exist to appreciate the full story. And to reject that unknown explanations exist is forcing yourself to reject the full scope of the story.

I'm not saying there are no explanations, I just posted the actual explanations in my previous reply. What I'm saying is that the explanations are not the ones you seem to accept or like.

J.J.'s movies were purposely addressed to a wider audience than just Trekers/Trekkies or your average Star Trek fan. That's why they were blockbusters, that's why they were hits in theaters and that's why they made the amount of money they made. More than half of the people, if not more, that went to theaters around the world to see ST:2009 and ST:ID just went there to watch an action packed sci-fi flick by J.J.Abrams based on a popular franchise. They won't dig into the movie staff's background notes, they won't watch interviews with Kurtzman, Orci or whoever, they won't read Star Trek books or the comics related to the Abramsverse and they probably won't even play the games that someone else suggested can be "fillers" for the gaps missing in the movies.
    You're telling me that the people making the movies expected the general audience to pick up off screen clues in order to fill in the "explanation gaps"? Yeah......nope, they didn't expect this, they didn't even expect that someone will have debates over this. It's a movie, they expected the audience to watch it and take it at face value - what you see is what you get. Something is bigger compared to sth. else, something is smaller, so what?

But this is fun, please share with me the explanation as to why the Klingons and Caitians look the way they do in J.J.'s movies and how did the Narada and Jellyfish's temporal incursions influenced such a radical change in genetics of two species that were supposed to look vastly different in the prime timeline over a period of just 30 years? *opens popcorn*
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    But this is fun, please share with me the explanation as to why the Klingons and Caitians look the way they do in J.J.'s movies and how did the Narada and Jellyfish's temporal incursions influenced such a radical change in genetics of two species that were supposed to look vastly different in the prime timeline over a period of just 30 years? *opens popcorn*

Okay then.

The Klingons look like that for the same reason the TMP Klingons look as they do. And why the TUC Klingons look as they do, and the TNG ones, and the DS9 ones. They have considerable variation in their species.

Is this really so different from this or this? I don't see people moaning endlessly about Chang and how he looks nothing like Martok. Klingons have different ridges get over it.

As for the second. They are not Caitians. If it's not onscreen it's not canon. They are simply catgirls of some sort. If the writers wanted them to be Caitians they should have made the effort to mention it onscreen or make them look like caitians.​​
    Post edited by artan42 on
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »
    (...)

Because "bling" on the one hoof and irrational fear of "bestiality" on the other? pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • lagomorphiclagomorphic Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    The only thing the Gal-X has going for it is being the derpiest looking fed cruiser in the game and now you want to take that away too.

For shame.

Go fly one of the other dozen fed cruisers if you don't like it.
  • thescottybthescottyb Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    And Tom Marrone is the man to thank.
    Unofficial Skill Planner v0.8 last updated 6 May 2016
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    some of it anyways, I'm pretty sure you can't take out the third nacelle.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    some of it anyways, I'm pretty sure you can't take out the third nacelle.

No, the third nacelle and the spinal lance are still there. They just can't be removed from the ship without simply just making it a Gal-X In-Name-Only.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    I totally agree with Probert about how a three-nacelle design breaks the loose rules about Federation starship design.

I will give the Cryptic design team credit, though. They took a design that I hated and actually made it look decent on the Yamato. It's still an abomination with an extra nacelle, but it doesn't look like somebody stuck a bunch of parts on a Galaxy and called it a day.

I'm less interested in these dreadnoughts than I am in some other ships I want to see. But if I wanted to fly a Fed dread, the Yamato would be my choice and not just because it's the only choice at T6.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    An artist has input, but doesn't get final say.

If there are fans of the Galaxy-X Dreadnought out there, they aren't going to pretend to stop liking what is already there because Andrew Probert says he doesn't like it.

If an average person watches AGT, they're going to recognize the Galaxy-X. At the end of the show, this is what is going to linger in minds.

They aren't going to concentrate on who made the final call to put in the Galaxy-X Dreadnought, or whether or not the designer of the Galaxy-class would have approved of the Galaxy-X. I would be surprised if most random people who have watched AGT would even know who Andrew Probert is.

It's like people asking Tacofangs for... well, just about everything. He has a job. He is good at his job. He even has a lot of great ideas. But at the end of the day, he doesn't make those kinds of artistic decisions. Those are left in the hands of people above him.

As an artist, you get a degree of artistic liberty you can take, but you are always going to have your employers altering designs based on anything from marketing advice, demographics, "metrics", to throwing darts at random ideas written on post-it notes on a board and picking the direction to go from there.

Andrew Probert designed the Galaxy-class. He has a lot of great ideas about the Galaxy-class that never quite made it to fruition (I'm personally a fan of his concept art for Cetacean Ops), but he doesn't own the intellectual property of the Galaxy-class anymore than Tacofangs owns Earth Spacedock.

At least I don't think he does. I'd like to think Cryptic's lawyers are smart enough to have a durable work-for-hire agreement with their artists.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    I totally agree with Probert about how a three-nacelle design breaks the loose rules about Federation starship design.

And Gene broke it when he decided to use the page of Franz Joseph's Star Fleet Technical Manual that contained the Federation class in The Wrath of Khan and it goes even to The Motion Picture with the USS Entente line since that is also a reference to Star Fleet Technical Manual.

Also there is the Niagara class, sure its a graveyard ship but still its there.

A technical explanation was put but it looks to be a homage to the Franz Joseph's Federation class Dreadnought.

Probert is kinda missing the point, the Enterprise-D Dreadnought is a frankenstein ship, refitted to escape being scrapped so it looks heavily modified, of course the ship lines are "ugly" since its the whole point, its the Enterprise-D after 30 years, not the "Enterprise-E".

The Saladin and Ptolomy appeared not the Federation.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

artan42 wrote: »
    The Saladin and Ptolomy appeared not the Federation.​​

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Federation_class
    The Federation-class starship was originally seen on a display in the Starfleet Academy's training simulation in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. The display was a page pulled directly from Franz Joseph's Star Fleet Technical Manual.

And this is where it gets complicated. They may not have had the rights to do that and may not be able to pass the rights off to Cryptic.

ILM slipped the Millenium Falcoln into First Contact but I'm pretty sure we can't have that either.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    edalgo wrote: »
    I believe the JJ ENT is 305m which is the same as the Constitution Refit.

Design refit is one thing do to the alternate time line but scaling I don't see as changing much.

Based on some scaling things I've seen here, the proper size of the AR Connie is 366 Meters, as the only thing that would have to be disregarded is the shuttlebay scene. At 366 meters, everything else lines up and appears scaled properly. While that does make her bigger than the Prime Refit Connie, it is still a far cry from the ridiculous size of bigger than a Sovereign.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    . And certainly, in the Rhode Island's case, it did exist - perhaps not in that form, but it's NCC number is lower than Voyager's, suggesting that it was commissioned before Voyager.

I actually don't believe that the registry number has anything to do with when or how many ships were built.

I kinda view it like modern day Naval Warship Registries. The USS Enterprise was CVN-65. That doesn't mean that there were 64 other carriers before her. Or the USS Dallas, SSN-700 doesn't mean there are 699 other Los Angeles Attack Subs in the fleet before her. However, it is true that ships of the same class tend to have registry numbers in a similar range. Most Connies were in the 170X range.

In my mind, Registry numbers are just unique identification numbers assigned to a ship.
    Even minus the black box...
    I think everyone is forgetting that either A: The scan data from the USS Kelvin was downloaded to the shuttles to ensure it got back to Starfleet, or B: The shuttles themselves managed to get some scan data of their own.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    The Saladin and Ptolomy appeared not the Federation.

The Federation-class starship was originally seen on a display in the Starfleet Academy's training simulation in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. The display was a page pulled directly from Franz Joseph's Star Fleet Technical Manual.

Just to make this more interesting, MA is actually wrong here. The Federation class is not visible in the movie. They used the page but the Federation is missing from it.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited October 2015

According to this it wasn't.
    angrytarg wrote: »

Just to make this more interesting, MA is actually wrong here. The Federation class is not visible in the movie. They used the page but the Federation is missing from it.

I made my post before I read yours, but yes, that. Though I did post proof :p.​​

#TASforSTO

angrytarg wrote: »
    Just to make this more interesting, MA is actually wrong here. The Federation class is not visible in the movie. They used the page but the Federation is missing from it.

Well ... it is kinda ...

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/sftm.htm

Its just the in that page its just a dashed hull outline of the Federation class, even Scientia agrees its there but its unrecognizable.

I learned that when I looked for images, sadly ... thats it, of course the rest is still true and they certainly used that page, minus the Federation class.
    I made my post before I read yours, but yes, that. Though I did post proof :p.

Sure, even if "technically" the page was used, just not a particular part of the page.

It's a bit of a shame though because I did quite like the Federation and I wish the Dreadnought took some more hints from it rather than from the Intel ships (or whatever it's based upon).​​

#TASforSTO

(...)

I made my post before I read yours, but yes, that. Though I did post proof :p.

Proof or not, I still won pig-2.gifpig-3.gif
    Well ... it is kinda ...

(...)

Sure, even if "technically" the page was used, just not a particular part of the page.

In my opinion this is so much "kinda" involved here that's it's basically not there. I mean in-universe nobody has knowledge of something that's not displayed even though it might be on the same page and it is unrecognizable to the part that it can basically be anything.

I'm not against the Federation-class idea. By the time the Constitution launched the war with the Klingons was on it's turning point, having one ship called "Federation" be a kind of refitted ship with more combat capabilities is not completely out of the question, but I stand by the view that it doesn't exist in canon. The "Dreadnaught USS Entente" line from TMP that was later muffled also doesn't really mean anything as "Dreadnaught" is not a ship classification used and it doesn't say "Federation Class". So, meh.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,864 Arc User
    People complaining about the fins on the Gal-X...but it's fine on the JJPrise?
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    edalgo wrote: »
    I believe the JJ ENT is 305m which is the same as the Constitution Refit.

Design refit is one thing do to the alternate time line but scaling I don't see as changing much.

Based on some scaling things I've seen here, the proper size of the AR Connie is 366 Meters, as the only thing that would have to be disregarded is the shuttlebay scene. At 366 meters, everything else lines up and appears scaled properly. While that does make her bigger than the Prime Refit Connie, it is still a far cry from the ridiculous size of bigger than a Sovereign.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    . And certainly, in the Rhode Island's case, it did exist - perhaps not in that form, but it's NCC number is lower than Voyager's, suggesting that it was commissioned before Voyager.

I actually don't believe that the registry number has anything to do with when or how many ships were built.

I kinda view it like modern day Naval Warship Registries. The USS Enterprise was CVN-65. That doesn't mean that there were 64 other carriers before her. Or the USS Dallas, SSN-700 doesn't mean there are 699 other Los Angeles Attack Subs in the fleet before her. However, it is true that ships of the same class tend to have registry numbers in a similar range. Most Connies were in the 170X range.

In my mind, Registry numbers are just unique identification numbers assigned to a ship.
    Even minus the black box...
    I think everyone is forgetting that either A: The scan data from the USS Kelvin was downloaded to the shuttles to ensure it got back to Starfleet, or B: The shuttles themselves managed to get some scan data of their own.
    Well, if I was going to kamikaze my ship into an unknown alien craft, I'd make sure my science officer took a copy of the sensor recordings with her when she got in the shuttle.... Wait.... didn't the captain give his wife something before she left?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Incidentally, I think Cryptic could do *A* 3 nacelled Connie variant. I just don't think they could do the specific execution seen in the Federation Class or call it that.

You can in fact own a copyright to a variation of someone else's copyright (and trademarks also factor in here). It is possible, for instance, for me to design a variant of Batman just original enough that it is not strictly speaking derivative. And in that scenario, I couldn't use it because it is derivative enough that I can't use it but DC Comics ALSO wouldn't own the original developments in the design, rendering it unusable by anyone. In fact, a number of Trek ships are like this.

Now... Cryptic would probably have a strong case to make a 3-Nacelle Connie based on the Galaxy-X. 3rd nacelle tied to the engineering hull, lance, turret, fins on the struts. And if they limited this to non-Connie variants or the T1 ships, I think a Light Dreadnought could be a strong addition to the game. Maybe it could further be differentiated from the Connie by giving it, say, a Stargazer saucer and Ambassador nacelles, while retaining the feel and profile of a 3 nacelle Connie. There aren't many "lost era" ship designs aside from the Stargazer, Connie Refit, Excelsior, Miranda, and Ambassador.

And I know several devs are REALLY, REALLY into the idea of exploring the era of Trek between the launch of the Enterprise-B and the first season of TNG.

There are even a few ground uniforms from that era we haven't seen (No collar WoK, the enlisted/cadet uniform, and the uniform Janeway's dad wore in a flashback, which was a hybrid of WoK and TNG S1). (Incidentally, I think Janeway Sr's uniform was actually the ditched Generations uniform which made it into filming of a few scenes in Generations with a lower collar, left untucked, and with some gold piping added).
    Here's the deleted Generations uniform:

lZG1pvw.jpg
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    it is still a far cry from the ridiculous size of bigger than a Sovereign.

And why when I am watching a movie based on TOS am I supposed to give two fracks about TNG when it has frack all to do with a TOS reboot?

Hell I'm still trying to figure out why the size of the Enterprise is that freaking important to begin with.
    lianthelia wrote: »
    People complaining about the fins on the Gal-X...but it's fine on the JJPrise?

Because its a hold over from the TOS Enterprise, I'm guessing.
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I feel like this thread may have gone slightly off topic. Just a feeling though.
  • farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    Wait.... didn't the captain give his wife something before she left?

Yes. He gave her James Tiberius Kirk.