test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DDOS 9/17 @ 6:10PM PDT

Comments

• orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2015
    Hmm, I've been affected by these disconnects for the past few days and considering their cause, the (theorized) reasons behind them, and the long term implications of a DDoS...

I'm much more concerned about how to get better turn rates out of my Galaxy Dreadnought. :|

Seriously. Anyone have a Conductive RCS [Turn] they wouldn't mind parting with? :)
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    Just bung a conductive rcs on with added mod I've got one on mine and the mod isn't great but doesn't impact my build at all.

They are cheap as atm on exchange
    JtaDmwW.png
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Have to admit it I've been less than civil on twitter to him but maybe that's the British in me.

I find things of this nature very immature like school immature

That's just it. It IS immature and the joke will be on him when/if the authorities get their hands on him.
  • anjc#8825 anjc Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    Have to admit it I've been less than civil on twitter to him but maybe that's the British in me.

true, it its a tantrum, granted that it is one that is causing a blackout on multiple games and perfect world is doing nothing to stop it (if it is, their attempts have been, less than adequate), but still, an immature tantrum
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Just bung a conductive rcs on with added mod I've got one on mine and the mod isn't great but doesn't impact my build at all.

They are cheap as atm on exchange

Aye, by itself a Conductive RCS Accelerator [Turn] won't do much for turn rates, but I've been flying my dreadnought like a 'hot rod' and I'm trying to push its turn rates as high as I can get without crippling my offensive capabilities. :p

I'm running out of things to improve...
    is it safe enough to try to do GTGA? want to get some probe data cores
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    sov42 wrote: »

That's just it. It IS immature and the joke will be on him when/if the authorities get their hands on him.

Oh yea... and then we will be like this:
    tumblr_inline_nu2xukDN831svebgl_500.gif
    For the lulz.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    In the meantime, what are you guys doing to PREVENT future attacks? Hmm?
    This is just a reminder to everyone that while we are all frustrated by this, posting inappropriate content is still against the rules. Including things about lynching.

What about stake burnings, thumb-screws, iron maidens and hot pokers to the eye?
    This is just a reminder to everyone that while we are all frustrated by this, posting inappropriate content is still against the rules. Including things about lynching.

What about stake burnings, thumb-screws, iron maidens and hot pokers to the eye?

The threats of bodily harm aside...

As for 'fixing this'.

Before this get fixed, they will be monitoring him and tracking him. Each time he does this, not matter how 'leet' this freak may be, he leaves a trail. That trail is being followed.

I can live with the downtime if it lets them catch him. My only hope is that he's at least 17. There are some very dark places that would love to have him stay for a while.
  • khaoskrowkhaoskrow Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    I just hope that when it is eventually dealt with, we're told. Some communication would be very assuring in this kind of situation. Even just a "Yeah, it won't be an issue anymore". Don't have to tell us they got him, or upgraded security, or whatever. Just a little heads up that the player base can stop sharpening their mall bought Katanas in their parents basements.
    PvPer, RPer, novice writer, RP/PvP/PvE tutor, purveyor of fine snark, and KDF mourner. R.I.P. Ker'rat.
    khaoskrow wrote: »
    I just hope that when it is eventually dealt with, we're told. Some communication would be very assuring in this kind of situation. Even just a "Yeah, it won't be an issue anymore". Don't have to tell us they got him, or upgraded security, or whatever. Just a little heads up that the player base can stop sharpening their mall bought Katanas in their parents basements.

I'll have you know... I LIVE IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

giphy.gif

~_^
  • khaoskrowkhaoskrow Member Posts: 49 Arc User

giphy.gif

~_^

WEEEEEELL laa de FREAKIN da!

PvPer, RPer, novice writer, RP/PvP/PvE tutor, purveyor of fine snark, and KDF mourner. R.I.P. Ker'rat.

giphy.gif

~_^

^_^ <3
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    anigif_longform-original-18615-1414562303-26.gif
    Soon... we shall have fun...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    may i be so bold to request that cryptic watch and get this software (if you use Mac X11 is necessary) https://youtu.be/-rlORUB5_3Y
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Our networks are stabilized Captains. We'll continue to monitor.
    @anthonyjc2010
    Could you change your sig or find a static pic of it please? The flashing is kinda hard on the eyes. I admit it is creative, but again... the flashing...
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User

giphy.gif

~_^

^_^ <3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    he is asking folks to send him few pics of you with shoes on head,
    i wouldnt recommended sending pics, so he can hunt your emails to hijack accounts. so, dont do it.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    @anthonyjc2010
    Could you change your sig or find a static pic of it please? The flashing is kinda hard on the eyes. I admit it is creative, but again... the flashing...

Yeah, it really is hard on the eyes.
  • kinaenovkinaenov Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    DDoS attacks are like the Borg - these attacks have been adapting in recent years to be more effective, to do more damage with smaller 'botnets' and be more effective against programs designed to filter out the 'white noise' jamming whichever servers are being targeted. Not to mention there is a growing 'underground' infrastructure devoted to handling DDoS attacks. Wouldn't surprise me if the perp in this case simply paid a 'service' to host the repeated DDoS attacks for them - with significant distributed computing power to keep up the attacks and attack from different 'directions'. Unfortunately, Cryptic's defenses were probably just overwhelmed.

Interestingly enough, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act does cover DDoS attacks, which can lead to the perp being charged with both civil and criminal charges - including up to 20 years in prison. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the FBI's Cyber-Crime division was now involved. If they catch this person, and Cryptic can show (in court) that they have suffered "any impairment to the integrity or availability of data, a program, a system, or information”, then this person (or persons) can be sentenced to jail-time and be forced to pay damages. A lot of damages. And with all the big-name industries to get hit with DDoS attacks lately, this sort of thing is taken very seriously by the courts, cyber-security firms and the FBI.

Hopefully Cryptic will be able to resolve this issue - permanently - soon.
    @anthonyjc2010

oh sorry, will find a new joke
    edited September 2015
    shazia9191 wrote: »

As for 'fixing this'.

Before this get fixed, they will be monitoring him and tracking him. Each time he does this, not matter how 'leet' this freak may be, he leaves a trail. That trail is being followed.

I can live with the downtime if it lets them catch him. My only hope is that he's at least 17. There are some very dark places that would love to have him stay for a while.

You should tell us more about those dark places on your blog, lootcritter.

That aside, this is exactly what's happening. Eventually, he'll be tracked, there will be consequences, and this all will be done and over with. Screaming for murder or working yourselves up into a froth isn't going to stop this, nor is directing angry comments at Trendy or the Devs. There isn't a quick-fix to this, but it will get fixed.

Meh. I do graphics. Happy to help, but I'm jealous of your wicked videos. Shame we have not seen much of those lately - you were so good at it.

As for the good people at Cryptic - Trendy is doing just fine, as are the devs. I'm glad you share the belief that this will get fixed, all the while Nabreeki urges him to do more harm on Twitter.

You keep living up to the fiction of Dear Leader! Memories are long.

빈 수레가 요란하다

edited September 2015

As for 'fixing this'.

That aside, this is exactly what's happening. Eventually, he'll be tracked, there will be consequences, and this all will be done and over with. Screaming for murder or working yourselves up into a froth isn't going to stop this, nor is directing angry comments at Trendy or the Devs. There isn't a quick-fix to this, but it will get fixed.

Meh. I do graphics. Happy to help, but I'm jealous of your wicked videos. Shame we have not seen much of those lately - you were so good at it.

As for the good people at Cryptic - Trendy is doing just fine, as are the devs. I'm glad you share the belief that this will get fixed, all the while Nabreeki urges him to do more harm on Twitter.

빈 수레가 요란하다

My Fellow Man, Memories Are Long, But Bans Will Last An Eternity. -anthonyjc2010
    But Bans Will Last An Eternity. -anthonyjc2010

Just ask Butts ;)

• monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User

As for 'fixing this'.

빈 수레가 요란하다

I agree. Trendy and the devs are doing a great job. Lots of bugs getting fixed and the content, in my opinion, has been getting better and better storywise and playability.

And this whole "Dear Leader" nonsense makes my skin crawl. I keep wondering which player will be next to be thrown into the volcano to appease "Dear Leader".

-The empty can rattles the most-
    I agree. Trendy and the devs are doing a great job. Lots of bugs getting fixed and the content, in my opinion, has been getting better and better storywise and playability.

And this whole "Dear Leader" nonsense makes my skin crawl. I keep wondering which player will be next to be thrown into the volcano to appease "Dear Leader".

Trendy's awesome. I wonder if Trendy would be elected Forum Overlord if we had another vote.

Then again I think Tacofangs is still loved by all and will win reelection.

And monkeybone... OI! I ain't empty or a can! :p
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User

Trendy's awesome. I wonder if Trendy would be elected Forum Overlord if we had another vote.

Then again I think Tacofangs is still loved by all and will win reelection.

And monkeybone... OI! I ain't empty or a can! :p

Tacofangs is awesome. Lots of cool looking stuff in the game. the ESD interior revamp is still my favorite.

P.S. I never said you were a can or empty. It was in reference to this "Dear Leader" TRIBBLE SFD keeps posting. It comes off as a cult and it's getting tiring seeing it on the forums.
  • psychopyro80psychopyro80 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    kinaenov wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act does cover DDoS attacks, which can lead to the perp being charged with both civil and criminal charges - including up to 20 years in prison. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the FBI's Cyber-Crime division was now involved. If they catch this person, and Cryptic can show (in court) that they have suffered "any impairment to the integrity or availability of data, a program, a system, or information”, then this person (or persons) can be sentenced to jail-time and be forced to pay damages. A lot of damages. And with all the big-name industries to get hit with DDoS attacks lately, this sort of thing is taken very seriously by the courts, cyber-security firms and the FBI.

Hopefully Cryptic will be able to resolve this issue - permanently - soon.
    Oh he made a huge mistake assuming he is (as he claims) really responsible for the ESO downtime on XBOX and PS4...
    Zenimax, Sony, and Microsoft will not tolerate the behavior, and will seriously investigate. They (Sony/MS) will help Zenimax track this back... And if he is really stupid, he'll try and hit their EU server, which is a whole nother world of trouble.

Though he may have more to worry about then the Feds, as apparently he really irked another hacker group for messing with ESO. He was told to go back to his corner and that they were coming for him...
    edited September 2015
    Tacofangs is awesome. Lots of cool looking stuff in the game. the ESD interior revamp is still my favorite.

P.S. I never said you were a can or empty. It was in reference to this "Dear Leader" TRIBBLE SFD keeps posting. It comes off as a cult and it's getting tiring seeing it on the forums.

And I'm hoping they unleash the Taco on DS9.

PS: I was cracking a joke about what you said since my screenname is Rattler. :D

And I'm hoping they unleash the Taco on DS9.

PS: I was cracking a joke about what you said since my screenname is Rattler. :D

lol Taco's been saying for a while he wants to revamp DS9. Maybe with the cardy arc revamp, DS9 will get a change, too. A girl can dream. ;)

And yes, Trendy, you are wonderful, don't ever leave. <3
This discussion has been closed.