test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is your overall impression of the Iconian War?

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
With today's release of the finale episode of the Iconian War, what is your overall impression of the war storyline as a whole?

The poll choices are a simple 1-5 star choice, with 1 being the worst and 5 being the best. Whatever option you choose, please explain why.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

What is your overall impression of the Iconian War? 229 votes

(*)1 star = worst
7%
shpokskyrrokkodachikunodheffernandrakethewhitedragnridrgradiiphalanx01sunfrancksazmodeasdrakie79lizweithenoname711zobovorjorantomalakxungnguyeniyx#3242ty30004 18 votes
(**)2 star
21%
lan451turbionmajosea61captainoblivousjodarkridergulberatdaniela1055a3001pottsey5gphrghappyhappyj0yj0yisthisscienceeldarion79arabaturpaxfederaticaiconianshravikfarmallmsinn74azurianstar 50 votes
(***)3 star
31%
kirimuffincomrademocoikonn#1068forthegamerrooster707zulisvelabaddon653wufangchurex9234oldravenman3025sophlogimosaurializardcoupaholicsabrevt1100deokkentnynikilithynmattjohnsonvaallyoftheforcegpgtx 73 votes
(****)4 star
29%
admiralkirkivannnantonine3258garronlinduncanidaho11kesselrunner#0768chestertrekrahmkota19guljarolthemetalstickmansixofusgryphonhirogijarvisandalfredmustrumridcully0artan42velquayoosty1elric071azrael605rattler2 67 votes
(*****)5 star = best
9%
justjoe12345123bernatkmidniteshadow7monkeybone13kitsunesnoutasri#3675vegeta50024wylonusarliekkoslordprotiusderrico1goodscotchtacofangsborticuscrypticmarkhawkmantyrionjkirkcabldawgdrakomagijdarkstar156tngnerds 21 votes

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    (*****)5 star = best
    Note: this vote is based on comparing it with the other story arcs in STO.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    (***)3 star
    My vote is compared based on the feeling of actually being in war in the game which. was... not present... only the Tales of War showed a constant war.

Nonetheless the Episodes were FANTASTIC... but the overall feel of being in war... meh...
    6tviTDx.png

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    (***)3 star
    It was average. There was a lot of impressive technical and visual work put into this arc, but it ultimately falls flat on it's rushed plot and typical "status quo" resolution.

Then again Star Trek does this all the time... :p
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    There's a war going on? I got some neat missions and some blog posts, but I see no war going on in the game or when I'm in sector space.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    (***)3 star
    There were some good episodes in there.

Uneasy allies: 4 stars
    Blood of the Ancients: 5 stars
    Delta Flight: 3 stars
    House of Pagh: 3 stars
    Time in a Bottle: 5 stars
    Broken Circle: 2 stars
    Butterfly: 1 star (I hate this one)
    Midnight: 5 stars

Impressive map designs. But story ... with the exception of "Blood of the Ancients" and the attack in "Broken Circle" ... It never felt like a War.

The Krenim should of had their own Arc... Maybe they still can.

Where were the Elachi?

Undine? Borg? Voth?

Where was the Battlezone? Red Alerts? Patrols? In one of the blogs and "Midnight" it turns out ...
    T'Ket had a grudge against the Romulans... New Romulus Battlezone maybe?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    (****)4 star
    4 stars. The story was magnificent, and the episodes were good.
    But outside of the episodes you didn't feel the war at all, and the servitor races outside of the heralds were hardly seen at all.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    (***)3 star
    3 stars; because there are good and bad episodes. Cryptic studios have done some really good jobs with the heralds (ships, dudes etc), but some episodes are really meh (house peg'h etc). the last episode is very good, and the job done is really nice + multiple choices for the replies.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I'll vote as soon as I start it.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    (**)2 star
    it's not as bad as the Cardassian arc, but the campaign is full of plot holes and poor storytelling, it feels forced as if the developers were pushed to rush content, I was expecting a war but the Dyson or the delta arcs feel more like a war that this one.

Really disappointing, not 1 star because that's reserved for the Cardassian arc, so 2 stars.
  • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    (**)2 star
    A war that almost never gives me the impression to be a war in game (no battlezone, no red alerts, and so on) and a plot far too inspired by another sci-fi tv series.
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    (***)3 star
    Still have some foundry missions that are better(sadly).
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    (*****)5 star = best
    I really liked the see-through floors in the Iconian places.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    (***)3 star
    Middle of the road. With Midnight it ended as well as it could have, albeit quite abruptly.

We still should have seen more of the war however, and I'm still amazed that we never saw a Herald or Iconian Battlezone. Instead it was deemed better to include one in the next update, the one about...exploration?

Cryptic logic can be really confusing sometimes.

EDIT: Might as well throw in my plus points

- Kurland here!

- Kagran. The face turn was pretty sharp sure, and his record is still awful as leaders go, but he is a cool character and I like that he goes out on a positive note.

- Dominion allies. I would have loved to see Eraun or Loriss at least make an appearance alongside Sela with some dialogue though.​​
    Post edited by coupaholic on
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    (***)3 star
    Underwhelming gameplay-wise, felt very rushed, didn't feel like a war, some plot-induced stupidity occurences, but they managed to do some good missions and the finale salvaged most of the bad stuff (even Kagran!), the Iconians,
    while no explained how they got to change so much from kind and helpful to murderous and abusive,
    ended up interesting and
    tragic
    villains.

I hope this isn't the last time we see our six-eyed
    new neighbors
    and that we'll get to
    visit L'Miren again to see how the rebuilding of her civilization is going
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    (***)3 star
    Overall, meh. I did like the ending though.
    76561198032353876.png
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    (*)1 star = worst
    Just horrible with little to nothing to like at all. A war that wasn't, dire missions that were cake walks, bad plots without any sense whatsoever. Easily the bottom of the barrel for any MMO I've played starting with Everquest.

The only good thing, it's over.
    Post edited by drakethewhite on
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    (***)3 star
    I'll agree, we saw more in tales than we ever did in the episodes, though the episodes were interesting.

Overall 3/5.​​
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 695 Arc User
    (***)3 star
    I would rate the arc a 1, if not for the fact that the finale was incredibly satisfying and actually, genuinely felt like Star Trek.

Seriously. What a great episode. Shame it's tied to such a horrible arc.
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    Didn't play it so can't vote. I'd like to know more about how people felt of the gameplay instead of the storyline itself.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    (****)4 star
    why so mayn space sets? whats the point?

also t'ket is a superdipomat and super stubborn!? how does t hat fit

soem missions are reeeeealy borign while others in the arc are super trekky and fun
    therefore 4 stars from me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    (**)2 star
    scrooge69 wrote: »
    why so mayn space sets? whats the point?

also t'ket is a superdipomat and super stubborn!? how does t hat fit

soem missions are reeeeealy borign while others in the arc are super trekky and fun
    therefore 4 stars from me

M'Tara is the superdiplomat, not T'Ket.

signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    (*)1 star = worst
    For my own episode by episode rankings (0-5)
    *Uneasy Allies: 3 Not a bad way to start what based on the episode held promise of being a great arc.
    *Blood of the Ancients: 4 Quite a bit of action balanced out with story.
    *Delta Flight: 4 It would have been 5 with more action in space and on the cruiser, but overall rather enjoyable.
    *House of Pegh: 2 A bit of action, plenty of story, but without too many details, it went down wrong
    *Time in a Bottle: 1 That's a Christmas gift. There was some shooting and relevent story. but too much of it was filler.
    *Broken Circle: 0 Dumpster Fire. I cannot justify the reckless dumping of bodies. It was disappointing to fight M'tara only to watch her die spending her last breath for witnesses. Bad plan, bad timing, bad aftermath. Plus a horrible indictment against not just one Klingon but as an example of a species. Now Fed-snobs all over the forum can point to him and say, the galaxy is better off without them. If they actually were Starfleet officers, the type of prejudice legitimized with this would set Federation ethics back nearly half a millenium.
    *Butterfly: 0 No I don't count holodeck simulations as part of the action.
    *Mignight: 4 There could have been more shoot'em'up at the beginning, but through the rest of it, It's uderstandable.

No battlezone, no red alerts, war blogs being passed off as content. Dominion involvement, check. Undine involvement, nope. I'll give partial credit on involvement of other nations. The war was most underwhelming. :| That is why I gave this war as a whole it's most well deserved number. 1
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    (****)4 star
    I kinda liked it, though hardly any more or less than the Delta or Sphere arcs. It lacked the epicness I'd expected but still mostly enjoyable in its own right.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    It was five stars "Midnight" until the magic collapsed with that senseless outrage of T'Ket, the iconian saying "we are not going to help you because he's one of us if he attacks you, doesn't mind if you saved our race. We also are going to retreat on our own, don't talk to us. Meanwhile. Oh remember our T'Ket bro may declare war at you again".
    Then there are some real bad like Butterfly.
    Can't cast a vote. Too good and too bad at the same time. The ending of the episode ruined everything.
    Post edited by laferrari1 on
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    (****)4 star
    The Romulan Arc is definitely superior in writing and content IMO. I really enjoyed that.

The Iconian War doesn't have the writing quality, but I think the overall content is good. What's particularly important about it are that the stakes are high. The Iconian conflict was hinted at since the start of the game, and that if finally reached a conclusion was something that really engaged me in following the arc, and causing me to look forward to the new mission. And then, the stakes were high - the Iconians were a real threat, and the story had us on the losing side and getting desperate - with all kind of moral and ethical implications of our actions.

There are certainly flaws. Some stories could be written better. And if you play the Arc over several months, there is just a lack of accompanying background activity - no Herald Red Alerts, Iconian Battle Zones, DOFFs to really immerse you in the story. But I guess if you actually played through the missions from finish to end, possibly only (if at all) doing the occiasional Iconian Queue, you would probably not experience it like that.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Didn't vote, just want to comment.

The last episode in the arc really had an impact on how I would rate the entire arc. The battle in the Sol system was truly epic, the voice acting, especially at the beginning of the episode, together with the many interruptions from characters of all factions and regions within the game really gave off the impression that the situation was dire. And Kagran's attitude was a very welcome change, it's always nice to see a Klingon who does more than just try to kill everything in sight.

The end was a welcome change too. The dialogue options (and the amount of dialogue and exploring the Iconians in general) were much more enjoyable than just shooting your way through an episode. The choices that were available were really good ones, you have the entire war and all its victims, including an entire species on the one hand, and the Iconians who were more or less victims themselves as well.

All in all, a very enjoyable episode and by far the best episode in the entire arc.
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    (***)3 star
    over all a 3 it was a mixed bag of episodes with some clunkers. but over all the story was not bad and the ending was very trek
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    (*)1 star = worst
    I didnt like it they kept saying "were losing the war" and "we lost another star system" and "our fleets are being smashed" but i never got that feeling nothing.

No iconian red alerts no herald deep space encounters nothing that said we were losing or in a war for that matter only a few text releases about tales of the war .

I know many will disagree but the fact remains this i felt more at war with the elachi , undine, voth and klingons then i did the iconians.

and worst part is the game as it is still has the overtone of being at war with the klingon empire...i thought that war was over.

Nice try cryptic but next time actually try to make us feel that were at war?!

• captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    (**)2 star
    Concept? 5 star. Implementation? 2 star. The eps themselves were okay though they were massively OTT with the melodrama and the VO work tended to be rather flat and robotic.The worst part of it though, was that there was absolutely no feeling at all of any kind of war setting in the game outside of those eps.
    I need a beer.

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    (***)3 star
    risian4 wrote: »
    together with the many interruptions from characters of all factions and regions within the game really gave off the impression that the situation was dire.
    I liked that, too, as it showed the progression until then.

In Surface Tension, St'aass makes it clear the Federation is the enemy even if they have respect for them but the Undine are worse and Koren begrudgingly accepts to help defend Earth because the Gorn told her to. And if you're a Klingon, you can choose not to help save ESD until Koren tells you.

In Midnight, one StarFleet group is in troubles? A Romulan ship immediately goes to assist them. A SF station is in danger, a Gorn ship changes course to assist without hesitating. Plus, there were several ships from Delta species, and then, the big guys from the Gamma Quadrant, all banding together to hold the line.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1