test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is your overall impression of the Iconian War?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    I liked first two episodes....then it went to ...the places where sun does not shine....
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    enorats1enorats1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    (***)3 star
    Did we even fight a war? We had a huge battle that we lost horribly, but that was in a time line that no longer exists. Earth was invaded and they blew up our space station, again. Guess that'll have to be remodeled again.
  • Options
    thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    (*)1 star = worst
    Simply overhyped season. "Epic ending of 5-year story build-up"... sure, but what we actually got? Whole 6 episodes of content spread over 6 months, one space queue, one ground queue, Delta recruit event that just forced you to replay the rest of content already in the game and crapload of ships/ship bundles and "Tales of war devblogs" + usual lockbox stuff. Nothing ever got me thinking we are in a war. Call me dissapointed.

(environment in the FEs were good, I am giving good points for devs that made those)
    Gameserver not found.
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    (*****)5 star = best
    It's had some flaws yes, but overall I liked the start, and especially the end of the story arc. I could arguably go four stars but I really appreciate the detail and unique flavor of the Iconians and Heralds for what they are as an enemy faction that we face in the story, I think they are the coolest NPC group yet in STO, and may possibly remain the very coolest to the last of STO's days in the years ahead.

So compared to everything else in the game, I rate five stars, as the Heralds and Iconians have resulted in the most interest I've had in STO for a long time and I can't wait for their lockbox. I also hope they don't get forgotten about in the continued story of STO and have at least minor comebacks both as friend and foe (depending on whether we are dealing with L'Miren or T'Ket, hopefully both!) Kudos to the one who designed the concepts for the Heralds and Iconians for what they are today!
  • Options
    ammianusammianus Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    (***)3 star
    As I mentioned more than once, what would make Iconian War great, and perhaps one of best events in MMO ever, would be introduction of phasing system (like it happened in WOW, or with little things in STO like Card. Arc mission with DS9 under attack). So that the player could see STO universe in different light before Iconian Arc starts, and after. This would make possible greater sacrifices, deaths of some of most important NPC (Admiral Quinn, Shon, perhaps Kurland at FED side, with similar losses by KDF or Romulans). Also that would make possible large incursions of Iconians in the Space zone. Without that the War failed, in the same way Klingon war failed...remaining quite cold. (at least we got blogs, but we could get so much more).
    And the ending scene... fireworks at day? Generic happy music. few basic talks. There could be special short mission, which would include some sort of talks with all surviving members, maybe medal award ceremony, recollection of war events, and memories at the fallen...
    Dissapointing. Hopefully someone will make such a mission in the Foundry.

So 3 stars from me...
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    ammianus wrote: »
    And the ending scene... fireworks at day? Generic happy music. few basic talks. There could be special short mission, which would include some sort of talks with all surviving members, maybe medal award ceremony, recollection of war events, and memories at the fallen..
    I'm sure we'll get a transitional episode that deals with the end of the war and how we go from there next. If the leaks are to believed (and they usually are correct) it's called "Sunrise".

2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    ammianusammianus Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    (***)3 star
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    And the ending scene... fireworks at day? Generic happy music. few basic talks. There could be special short mission, which would include some sort of talks with all surviving members, maybe medal award ceremony, recollection of war events, and memories at the fallen..
    I'm sure we'll get a transitional episode that deals with the end of the war and how we go from there next. If the leaks are to believed (and they usually are correct) it's called "Sunrise".

Oh, that's great (if true)... do you have the link? However, the last few minutes could be done much much better, with almost no extra effort. That is what saddens me. As a person to whom ending really matters.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    (**)2 star
    I'd say the Iconian War story arc was comparable to the storytelling prowess of Enterprise.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options

Oh, that's great (if true)... do you have the link?
    Those kind of links aren't allowed here. Some Google-Fu should do the trick, though.

2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    Here is my review of each of the episodes in the Iconian War. I will put in numbered points of interest after each episode.

Uneasy Alliance 4/5
    1. Decent voice acting - especially for Sela.

Blood of the Ancients 1/5
    1. Bad voice acting - the Reman that talks to you gives you generic one-liners like "Shall we go to the next objective" which just made me cringe.
    2. All of New Romulus is being invaded by Heralds. Why are we defending a pile of dusty old ruins where no one lives? What about all the civilians in the city?
    3. Bad script. All of the preservers die - really? If we could transport ourselves to safety, why couldn't we transport some of the preservers? Also they removed one of the most interesting races from the game and deny us any further story concerning them in the future. This is just a bad move.

Delta Flight 3/5
    1. Bad voice acting. I don't want to hear a poorly mimicked, exaggerated cowboy accent in space. Don't say "yee-hah!" ever again. Ever. Also the freighter captain needs to shut up.

House Pegh 2/5
    1. Why did you kill Kahless and not T'Ket? Not only did we lose a legendary NPC who could have given us more story in the future, but the mythos surrounding Kahless and the Sword of Kahless is now shattered. Kahless is not the greatest warrior ever. The Sword of Kahless is no longer a sword of victory. What does most of Klingon culture and history amount to now? Do they sing songs about how T'Ket bitchslapped their emporer and took his little toy away from him?
    2. The Klingon battle song was really annoying. I turned the volume down because I couldn't bear to listen to it any longer. It was monotone and had no feeling in it.

Time in a Bottle 4/5
    1. Decent voice acting. Nog came across as an older, more mature Nog from the TV series.

Broken Circle 4/5
    1. The all-out attack on the Iconian sphere was fun. It was nice to finally kill one of them.

Butterfly 5/5
    1. Great script - I loved investigating each different scenario on the holodeck, and I also liked how the consequences of the time manipulation didn't coincide with what was expected. Assimilated Romulus was a great fight. I was sad to see Romulus was still destroyed in the end though.

Midnight 4/5
    1. Ancient Iconia was breathtaking. The whole episode was great up until the end. Why is everyone gathering on earth and already throwing a party when you just signed a peace treaty with the Iconians literally seconds ago? I think the Iconians should transport you to the Federation Council first, where you can talk it over with everyone before walking outside and seeing the party.

Overall my experience is that after the Iconian War starts with Uneasy Alliance, the quality of the story takes a nosedive and doesn't pick back up until we reach the Krenim. I am ticked about losing the Preservers and Kahless. They could have been used for more things in the future. You should think carefully before killing off key NPC's in an MMO. Especially the Preservers - a whole race? Never again? Not even one more story, ever?
  • Options
    madcat44madcat44 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Played "Midnight" the first weekend after its release and i had fun. really liked how they retro-ed the iconians to their past forms. my own priveate off game comments was to tell Sela to basically STFU. though i'm still waiting for an unscheduled appointment from Temporal Investigations with their good humor brats and about 11 months of paperwork and explaining for this whole headache. (maybe i can get posted the the exploration fleet and stay out of contact for a while) :/
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    (***)3 star
    Ah yes, also one thing that bothered me: Delta recruits ended up being mostly useless in the end, not even a mention about "agents with knowledge from the future that helped during the war".

The only mention was a pointless "perhaps it's your actions that led you here" (no kidding!) from Crey during Butterfly and only if you're a Fed!Delta.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    (*****)5 star = best
    Well.... you already fulfilled the temporal loop that made your character a temporal agent in the first place.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    (**)2 star
    Ah yes, also one thing that bothered me: Delta recruits ended up being mostly useless in the end, not even a mention about "agents with knowledge from the future that helped during the war".

The only mention was a pointless "perhaps it's your actions that led you here" (no kidding!) from Crey during Butterfly and only if you're a Fed!Delta.

That was one of the things that seriously annoyed me about the Delta Recruit storyline: I hoped it wouldn't prove to be a completely useless and pointless storyline, but it did, just as I expected.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    Who do you think made those nice Iconian Resistance items possible?

2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    (**)2 star
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Who do you think made those nice Iconian Resistance items possible?

Then they need to specify that, explicitly.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    (****)4 star
    I'll give a 3.5 stars. I think that the last episode "Midnight" could have been longer, it felt like rushed to me.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    (*****)5 star = best
    mayito2009 wrote: »
    I'll give a 3.5 stars. I think that the last episode "Midnight" could have been longer, it felt like rushed to me.
    How so? I can't think of anything in the mission that would give me that impression. The new maps were killer.... and heavily tied to the story. So it's not like they came up with the idea to visit Past!Iconia at the last minute.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    (****)4 star
    How so? I can't think of anything in the mission that would give me that impression. The new maps were killer.... and heavily tied to the story. So it's not like they came up with the idea to visit Past!Iconia at the last minute.

I think that the events taking place on Iconian homeworld could have been a little bit longer, you got there talk for 5 minutes and the attack happened right away, I would love to see more discovery of the home world, more exploring, I dont know making it a little bit more in depth and that way making the situation with Sela a mor etense.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    (*****)5 star = best

I think that the events taking place on Iconian homeworld could have been a little bit longer, you got there talk for 5 minutes and the attack happened right away, I would love to see more discovery of the home world, more exploring, I dont know making it a little bit more in depth and that way making the situation with Sela a mor etense.
    Hmm.... That would have been nice, but... from a mission standpoint, I'm not sure how much it would have actually added to it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The Iconian war arc is a great story, but fails in gameplay because the Herald's supposed superiority is all talk. Mission after mission you curbstomp the Heralds with your left hand, and then some lame NPC tells you there are too many, they're too powerful, you have to retreat and so on. It just doesn't fit.
  • Options
    nathraelnathrael Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    The Iconian war arc is a great story, but fails in gameplay because the Herald's supposed superiority is all talk. Mission after mission you curbstomp the Heralds with your left hand, and then some lame NPC tells you there are too many, they're too powerful, you have to retreat and so on. It just doesn't fit.

I think the "hero factor" has a lot to do with it. The PC can wreck Herald ships with ease cause he/she is the 'star'. The PC is basically Kirk/Picard/Sisko/Archer. The NPC captains are the "Supporting cast". They would naturally have a rougher time with it.

That being said, would have been nice if they showed some of the destruction that was supposedly taking place.