test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is your overall impression of the Iconian War?

Comments

• Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    (***)3 star
    Overall, the arc gets a 3. Most of it was underwhelming. Midnight gets 5, though. Well done there, and good on you for not taking the easy way out and erasing the Iconians from time. Only gripe is that I could see Sela's plot twist a mile away, but could do nothing to stop it.
  • Options
    dheffernandheffernan Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    (*)1 star = worst
    In the immortal words of Jay Sherman, "it STINKS".

Plot holes, time travel cheat ending...yecch.

And please, why is Sela still breathing? As if it wasn't bad enough that she's screwed over the canon universe several times resulting in the death of millions, she's directly responsible for the existence of the JJTrek movies. That alone warrants a bullet to the head.
    @Venture-1. @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that. Yes, that Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. You'll have to be specific; for me it was Tuesday.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    (**)2 star
    Not good at all. It feels like Ed Wood has made these episodes, Plan B from Outer Space. Off course it is a personal taste, I don't like the Iconians, the ships, the map designs. Too much fantasy and to little science and that is my overall impression of the game. More is added, it is less and less Star trek.
  • Options
    ciphertuesdayciphertuesday Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    (****)4 star
    I like the final episode a lot. It almost feel like another ST8 movie, and worked out very well. Some of the plot twists are way too predictable(like the trill officer being controlled by the bug), some plot holes are never explained (like why sela is poisoned on the elachi ship, and how the hell she could learn those important information as a prisoner), some plots are simply weird (destroying the borg transwarp conduit = return of iconian? Really?). Other than that, it's fine. A lot better than Delta Rising arc, but still not as good as LoR, which I would give 5 starts:)
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    destroying the borg transwarp conduit = return of iconian? Really?
    With what we know now, it actually makes sense. The conduit never existed -> the Borg never assimilate the Romulans -> T'Ket can have his revenge
    With an assimilated Romulus he had no reason to bother. The Romulans were already gone.

2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    (**)2 star
    I give it 2 stars.

* Story - Horrible. On how they handled the Iconians. All these years and this is what we got? It was very rushed and done poorly. To make it worst they create blogs that was a disconnect from the game itself. To give it something more.

* Graphics - Awesome. I love the graphics of them. Very nice detail and colors.

* Gaming - Good. Battles was good, nice cut scenes and VOs. to push the story forward.

* Theme - Horrible. We was at war and we got TRIBBLE. No Red alerts, No enemy encounters, No ground battles, Forced solo players to play a single mission for marks. That mission had nothing to do with the Rep.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    (**)2 star
    I never felt overly engaged by the war, it seemed like it was formulaic writing with little depth or a sense of achievement at the end.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    lighte007lighte007 Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    (****)4 star
    It was okay in my book, so I gave it a 4 instead of a 5.

I definitely liked the last one in the series mostly, Midnight.

Featured Episodes:
    Uneasy Allies - 4
    Blood of the Ancients - 2
    Delta Flight - 3
    House Pegh - 4
    Time in a Bottle - 5
    Broken Circle - 3
    Butterfly - 3
    Midnight - 5

Uneasy Allies - The reason I gave it a score of 4 is mostly because you got to see Sela, again after what it seemed like forever and killed Taris in the process and saw the other Sphere warp in by Iconia that was a nice reveal.
    Blood of the Ancients - I didn't really like it too much, even though, it had the Gateway on New Romulus getting exploded or caved in.
    Delta Flight - Nice to see Tom Paris back in the action and his starship, was pretty nice looking since it is a pilot variant ship anyway. The mission was slightly boring though even though you got to destroy a Solanae base.
    House Pegh - It was hilarious that the Emperor of the Klingon Empire's Clone killed himself in honorable combat by cutting the arm off of T'Ket.
    Time in a Bottle - I gave it a great score since, we found what we were looking for aka the Krenim and we help them by fixing their time slotting system aka the thing that allowed them to be in a different phase of time outside of our own.
    Broken Circle - I didn't like Captain Kargen's Suicide Mission to fight against the Iconians on their turf by their home world. Even though we got to kill M'Tara felt like the wrong thing to do in the end, mostly killing their leader.
    Butterfly - It was okay, it was good that we got to try certain simulations and the fight with the Assimilated Hakeev was fun, and disrupting the Transwarp Gateway of the Borg is always fun.
    Midnight - Loved this mission, mostly due to the epic space battle, the battle against the 200k Year old Aliens that hated the Iconians for doing something similar to the Federation, and hated what Sela did, and loved the fact we finally found out who's the Other aka it was the player character. Which is nice. That's out of the way. And giving back their World Heart was a nice thing to do. I have a funny feeling that T'Ket was put in a Brig like thing in the Iconian Sphere to keep her from fighting everyone.

So in a sense, I enjoyed the storyline so far, even though there is a Ico Foundry Storyline too and that helps things, even though I never played them.

As well, I should add, its nice the sets from all these featured episodes are unique, nice, and pretty good. =P
    The Rising of the Delta is the best expansion ever, and people love it to death because it is a good day to die in the endless struggle for supremacy of your own conviction. (A spin off of the Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.)
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    (*****)5 star = best
    Of course @borticuscryptic voted 5 stars LoL.

Overall the Iconian War story arc great. A bit boring on occasion but the finale was the best episode they ever created. <3
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    (****)4 star
    I liked it a lot, only thing I hoped for that it would last a bit longer.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    (***)3 star
    It was rushed in some areas, some thigns felt like filler. the loading art war posters was a nice touch, but u neevr really felt engaged into he story enough to feel the drama. The gear u get was the best yet! the ending began to take my interest and the past iconian map felt like star trek until u began to realize they wanted to rush u through the last part of the story, but since i could read faster then the voice actors could talk u had to wait for them to shutup so u could continue the story...the backstory wasent too bad, but not what i expected from their intro in tng. the ending itself...."whaaat?!" are u telling me we get a, "oops our mistake, we just lost our marbles, thx for returning it...the end" ...well i guess a handful of people where happy at SFA, not sure if thats all that was left of star fleet and the alliance...star wars showed all across the galaxy everyone cheering the war was over, would be disheartening to think 10 people lived ^^;
    midnight__star_trek_ships_by_adventure_cat-d995v8u.jpg
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    (****)4 star
    well, I was missing the overall WAR in the quadrant feeling which could have been provided with red alerts. But I guess that if I went back to play all the episodes in chronological order in one day, the feeling would be there.
    The other thing that bothered me was the lack of decissions. Yeah I got 3-4 dialogue options, but what did my answer matter? Nothing.
    I can understand that it would be impossible to write the story for both ways (killing sela right there) but the multiple dialogue option kind of demanded it and you get disappointed that nothing you say or do actually matters.
    What I liked about Midnight in special was the way we reflect about what is evil and how does one become evil...this is truly Star Trek at it's finest. Seeing the peaceful Iconians made me nearly regret blowing up so many.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    (***)3 star
    Okay, now that I've thought about it some more, I think I'd better give a more thorough breakdown of my opinion of this arc. I'm gonna go episode by episode:

Uneasy Allies (****): A strong start. Tied the Romulan storyline into the new arc well, and gave us a clear path to eventual victory even as it established the Iconians as the terrifying threat that they supposedly were. The stuff on Sela's vessel was neat, I thought, too, and it was cool to see that the original Star Navy was still around in some form. I just wish it had been followed up on better...

Blood of Ancients (**): This is where the problems with S10 as a whole started to show. As many others have pointed out, the threat just didn't feel credible at all; the Heralds were dying to us as easily as any of the other enemies we faced, while the narrative kept trying to insist that they were just too unstoppable even though they clearly weren't. The writers and artists made a valiant effort here, but without challenging gameplay to match, it just didn't work at all.

Delta Flight (*): "Hey, look at the pilot ships! Aren't the pilot ships awesome? Buy one now! Oh, also, here are a bunch of characters that you don't know and don't care about but we're going to kill off one of them in hopes that that will make you care. I mean, who needs character development, right? BUY THE PILOT SHIPS!" ...yyyyyeah, as you can tell, I didn't like this one very much.

House Pegh (no stars): So an elite KDF spy team tries to carry out a spy mission with all the subtlety and legerdemain of a screaming drunkard. They bring clone!Kahless with them, and clone!Kahless, unsurprisingly, dies. And that's it. We do learn that the Iconians can be hurt, but really, who couldn't have guessed that?

Time in a Bottle (**): I liked Aron Eisenberg as Nog. I liked the return of the Krenim. Again, though, I just can't get past the fact that the Heralds/Iconians are just not threatening villains, and certainly not threatening enough that erasing them from history is the only answer. It seems ridiculous to even contemplate. And honestly, at this point, I could see from a mile away that "the Other" was the player character. It was just way too obvious.

Broken Circle (no stars): So the Alliance fleets are dwindling, and the situation, we're told, is desperate. So what does Kagran do? Kagran orders that we throw everything we have into a suicide mission, because... uhh... because shut up, that's why. So we do that, and it works about as well as expected (which is to say, not at all). We do manage to kill an Iconian, though... and, in so doing, seemingly completely wreck even the slim chance we had of a peaceful resolution. [Insert overplayed Portal quote here.] So now we're in an absurdly worse position than before, all because the Alliance put in charge somebody who couldn't command his way out of a paper bag, and nobody thought to question him. Great.

Butterfly (*): This one feels like a Brannon Braga episode of Voyager: fun to watch (or play, in this instance), and occasionally sort of mind-bending, but ultimately silly and inconsequential. Hopefully S11 will do something with the now-erased Sphere Builders, as that's clearly the most interesting plot thread going on here. Other than that, well... we muck up the timeline, and then we (mostly) un-muck it, and that's about it. Nothing really happens that we can actually notice once we get back to "our" timeline. If S11 follows up on this more, I may change my tune, but right now this episode just feels like filler to me.

Midnight (*****): Now this is what the entire arc should have been. I'll have to play it again to be sure, but it may just be my favorite episode in the entire game. It's a fantastic episode of STO -- heck, it's a fantastic episode of Star Trek, period. We finally learn something tangible about the Iconians other than just "they want to destroy us Because Reasons", and I love the predestination paradox involving Sela. Yeah, it was a little weird to see Kagran acting sensible all of a sudden, but I didn't care; in fact, I actually found his uncharacteristic-for-a-Klingon perspective interesting and refreshing. The art was brilliant, the dialogue was better than usual, the Star Trek values we all remember from the show were (for once) firmly displayed here, and the episode ended on the kind of hopeful note that I remember from the shows but honestly thought I'd never see in STO. I do sympathize with the complaint that the resolution seemed a little too quick, a little too neat and tidy, but considering the low quality of the arc in general, I think it's about the best I could have hoped for. It pretty much justifies the arc's existence; heck, they could have just made this episode the entire arc and I would probably have liked it a lot better.

So. yeah.
    Post edited by kirimuffin on
  • Options
    majosea61majosea61 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    (**)2 star
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....oh Midnight...finally a decent episode . The annoying part of this arc was the Blog posts of the War. If I want to read a story of a game I am playing , I will buy a novel written about the story in the game. In the game I want to be a major part of the story; to see what is happening when it is happening. (I'm not a 5 year old seeing stuff in my imagination...I got over that 50 years ago). I was thoroughly disappointed after the five year long build-up.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    (*****)5 star = best
    I liked it a lot, only thing I hoped for that it would last a bit longer.

I think 5+ years was long enough LoL.
  • Options
    djsimonroc88djsimonroc88 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    (***)3 star
    Am giving it an overall 3 stars because I felt like this was really rushed. To me it didn't feel very well finished a little more background info on the iconians and heralds would of been more of interest I would of loved to of seen how the iconians were changed from their original look to how they are now. In my honest opinion it just didn't seem to have that much action. A little more polishing and more work into this story arc would of been better.
    27457d1244675809-ok-wheres-facepalm-emoticon-double-facepalm.jpg

Face palming the enemy one at a time.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    (*****)5 star = best
    Well, Midnight redeemed this Iconian Skirmish pretty good. Currently it's the best mission in the game.
    They should make an adventure zone out of Iconia. If from old then help the Iconians helping other species if from new then help them rebuild.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    azurealli4nceazurealli4nce Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    (**)2 star
    Other than Midnight, this entire arc was disappointing. The only things done right were the VOs and making the Klingons look like the idiots they are. We were never well immersed in the war, and never got an in-game sense of the destruction described in the blogs.
    DPS-Bronze, DPS-Silver, DPS-Gold, etc. are FAKE! They were created by an outvoted minority who destroyed the original DPS channels!

Tactical Team sucked, once upon a time. I got it buffed. Don't think for a minute that Cryptic ignores forum feedback.
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    (*)1 star = worst
    There was a war?
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    (***)3 star
    I had to give it a 3 because of a few really questionable episodes--blood of the ancients for being a mindless and exhaustive kill-a-thon, butterfly for feeling rushed and non-immersive, and house pegh for amazing character stupidity. I would've given it a 5 had those episodes been higher quality. Also, as others have said, it didn't feel like much of a war once you left the episodes, because everything in sector space, ESD, etc, was just business as usual.

Aside from the weird part about T'Ket addressing Sela as "a Romulan" (how could they know anything about a species that doesn't yet exist in their time?) this last one was a fantastic episode and had a far better resolution than just blowing them to kingdom come like we do everything else that gets in our way. I look forward to possibly chilling with the Iconians or clashing with T'Ket again sometime in the future.

Now that the season is over, I think the Iconian arc should have its level restriction lowered to maybe help make the 50-60 grind less terrible. Plus, unlike nearly everything in the delta arc, the rewards are actually decent.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    (**)2 star
    Wasn't fond of the Iconian war overall - but I did love the last episode though. One in a while with actual Star Trek feeling in it. If every episode could invoke such feels... mm... yum.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    (****)4 star
    4 stars.
    There are some points in the story that doesn't make sense to me.
    1) Why the iconians killed the preservers? The preservers never attacked them and they were not their enemy.
    2) If you play the romulan how do you explain that T'ket want avenge against romulans? (there is a thread about it)
    3) What about the TNG episode with Taris?
    4) It would be nice to have events in the sector map that give you the impression of a real war.
    5) The final solution in "midnight" is a bit easy. The iconians stand down too easy. They could had take
    the "Heart" with the force.
    But ok, in general these are minor points in my opinion. I liked the story, a lot.
  • Options
    nathraelnathrael Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    I liked it overall, though some parts seemed a bit flat. Yes there should have been Herald RA's, maybe a battlezone. But what could also have worked? If in addition to the FE's we got, release a FE or queue for each of the Tales of the War threads-this way you would gt to experience more of the war's "depth".
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    (*)1 star = worst
    One star but 4 star ending.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    (****)4 star
    nathrael wrote: »
    But what could also have worked? If in addition to the FE's we got, release a FE or queue for each of the Tales of the War threads-this way you would gt to experience more of the war's "depth".

If nothing else, some sort of datapad in game for newer players to track the Tales of the War wouldn't be terrible. Maybe even map it to the Resistance datapad?

Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    (**)2 star
    Like others, I would've actually given this 2.5 stars.

The final mission was the saving grace in an arc that was a mixed bag...Gawd, that cheesy Kahless mission... :/

But, with practically nothing in-game making the arc (5 years in the making!) feel like it's actually impacting the game world, it just fell flat for me. I honestly just wanted this arc over and done with. Cross-faction Alerts & a Battlezone or two would've gone a long way to give this the bite it needed after so many years building up to it.
  • Options
    nobadeenobadee Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    (***)3 star
    I gave it a 3; I didn't dislike it. It was full of "hu?" moments, however, when you compare it to the Star Trek IP in general, it's pretty much on par. No really, you cannot sit here and tell me that Star Trek is not riddled with inconsistencies, absurd plots and bad narratives. The entire mirror universe and virtually every holodeck episode were garbage, as they were the result of writers running out of ideas on how to keep the main story arc going creatively. Voyager: who would have imagined a Star Trek series that revolves around the writers contemplating their own suicide?
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    (**)2 star
    Well the polls been out a few days and I think the forum consensus is clear. Statistically, it looks like the Iconian War pretty much graded with a C, possible curve to a B- at best.