test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Currencies

craigthemastercraigthemaster Member Posts: 74 Arc User
I'm not one to moan, much, but I remember waaaaaay back, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when all you had was E/C, accolade points, (dam was it that long ago) and latinum. I also remember P/W post a thread clearly stating they would limit the amount of currencies they were going to place with in Sto. Now it seems they gone back on that and each season they bring out a new reputation, with a new Mark to collect and spend on new gear. In total we have to date FIFTEEN separate forms of currency. :( They are as followed.

E/C
Omega Marks
Nukara Marks
Romulan Marks
Dyson Marks
Undine Marks
Delta Marks
Iconian Marks
Fleet Credits
Fleet Marks
Dilithium Ore
Dilithium Refined
Gold Pressed booty
Lobi
Zen

(I also forgot to mention, BLOOD, SWEAT, and TEARS) so that 18 :expressionless:

HOLY C**P. Why do we want all this for? Not only is mega confusing for new players, and not to mention utterly off putting. Think about it. If you’re sat at home and you decide to want to start playing the next big MMO, and this was the type of thing you had to get your head around. I'm not sure about you but I’d be out of there and back to disintegrating people on fallout. We have S11 new dawn approaching us and already I can smell the New dawn Marks, New dawn credits, New dawn gold, silver, bronze, copper............... ........ .....

PLEASE, CRYPTIC, PERFECT WORLD. NO MORE CURENCIES.

Comments

• kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    Yeah, I don't understand the need for so many currencies. Well I do, but I don't agree with the reasoning behind it.

At the end of the day I'm playing the game, regardless of which content I choose to play so it should be irrelevant in terms of what specific content I'm playing. I shouldn't have to play borg STFs a hundred times vs. not playing other PVE queues because the type of equipment I'm looking can only be earned by playing borg STFs.

And yes, the did away with the marks years ago because they didn't think it was necessary to only play specific content to get specific rewards. Didn't last long...

Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    on the face of it your point seems to make sense until you take into account that a lot of the things you list are not true currency`s.
    all of the reputation marks are more akin to loyalty tokens then actual currency`s the idea being by taking the reputation based missions you are rewarded with a certain amount of these marks that are used to unlock access to selected items that are also connected to the same reputation.
    I am sure you would prefer players were allowed to buy stf gear without ever playing any of the stf content for example however the devs have made it so to get the gear you want you need to play the content to earn the marks that unlock access to these special items and rightly so in my opinion.

if you remove all of these reputation marks from your list you will see its not such a long list after all.

by the by if you are going to list reputation marks as currency I am surprised you did not include event currency like the shards we get for playing the current CE event and the similar loyalty tokens we get for the mirror event and the seasonal events.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    on the face of it your point seems to make sense until you take into account that a lot of the things you list are not true currency`s.
    all of the reputation marks are more akin to loyalty tokens then actual currency`s the idea being by taking the reputation based missions you are rewarded with a certain amount of these marks that are used to unlock access to selected items that are also connected to the same reputation.
    I am sure you would prefer players were allowed to buy stf gear without ever playing any of the stf content for example however the devs have made it so to get the gear you want you need to play the content to earn the marks that unlock access to these special items and rightly so in my opinion.

if you remove all of these reputation marks from your list you will see its not such a long list after all.

by the by if you are going to list reputation marks as currency I am surprised you did not include event currency like the shards we get for playing the current CE event and the similar loyalty tokens we get for the mirror event and the seasonal events.

Agreed, I don't really consider the marks as 'currency' even though they technically are. They're specific to the reputation system they belong to, which is actually a system I like.

Personally, I have always liked the Reputation System in STO. I like the way I can pick what items I want and just focus specificially on those marks (Even though I maxed them all.) They made going up in Reputation really easy as well so it feels like a system that's very accessible to all players.

Of all of them, the only currency I would like to see changed is the Fleet Mark/Credits. I don't really like the way that system works, it can be so hard to exchange Marks for Credit that it often feels like I'm going against the other members of my fleet to try and cash in before they can. I would really like to see a revamped system for earning Fleet Gear. I also think that Latinum is probably something we can get rid of at this point. I have been playing this game for years and have never purchased a single item with Latinum. I don't even know how to get it outside of Dabo which I never play.

The whole Zen/Dilithium/EC system works for me. I can usually find a way to get anything I need. It's not like most MMO's where there are always items that I feel are just beyond my reach no matter what. I can usually find a way that works for me.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing all the rep systems use one universal currency, like just reputation points or something. Everyone has personal preferences on what endgame content they like to play, and there have been a few of the reputations that have taken me a lot longer to level up because I wasn't excited to play what yielded the proper marks or special components for the rep system. Luckily there are the ones that offer a wide range of marks.
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    If you buy something with it, it's a currency.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    johnnymo1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing all the rep systems use one universal currency, like just reputation points or something. Everyone has personal preferences on what endgame content they like to play, and there have been a few of the reputations that have taken me a lot longer to level up because I wasn't excited to play what yielded the proper marks or special components for the rep system. Luckily there are the ones that offer a wide range of marks.

Yeah, it's all subjective. Personally, I oppose the idea of universal reputation currency. It just seems silly to me to let people buy Borg Gear by grinding the Undine Space Zone or the Dyson Ground Zone. That's just my personal opinion though.
    battykoda0 wrote: »

Fair enough.

Insert witty signature line here.
    edited August 2015

so how do you suggest we fill our romulan reputation from T1 to T5 by playing stf`s perhaps, not very fair on the poor old romulans who are trying to rebuild their society with your help if you are off fighting the borg instead.
    sure you can wait for the latest marks to be added to the list of marks you get for some content but you will have to wait while others who play the content will have access to the gear much sooner then you will.
    but if your not bothered to get the gear then sure you can wait.

yes but your not buying anything with reputation marks your buying it with Dilithium and EC for example the Omega Adapted Borg Technology Set will cost you 15000 Dilithium & 30000 EC for the Kinetic Cutting Beam, 15000 Dilithium & 30000 EC for the Omega Torpedo Launcher and 15000 Dilithium & 30000 EC for the Universal Console, the marks are just added as proof that you have played enough of the content to entitle you to buy these items.
    same with all the other reputation gear.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,453 Community Moderator
    If you want to count the Rep Marks as a currency... just lump them all into one category because they ALL do the same thing for their respective reputation tracks. Do that, and you pretty much cut that list down to 9. Cut off raw DL Ore as you can't spend that and you get 8.

Reasoning behind taking the ore out is because its not spent. Its refined. Basically its not a currency, its a resource that can be made into a currency.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,745 Community Moderator
    Awhile back I advocated for streamlining the Reputation Mark economy into one Universal Reputation Mark. My reasoning was that, as predicted, it would continue to grow with each new Reputation Track added and start to become cumbersome.

I was met with the same arguments about playing unrelated content to earn Reputation Gear, I.E. playing Romulan Reputation content and buying Omega Gear. My counter to that was that Elite Reputation Marks could stay in place to ensure at least a minimum amount of proper content was played for earning Reputation Gear. Although, it was pointed out to me that Nukara doesn't have an Elite Reputation Mark, I still felt this was a way to go in order to streamline the economy.

But since Cryptic added the Reputation Project to convert 100 Reputation Marks into 1 Elite Reputation Mark, I can no longer advocate Universal Reputation Marks as a solution, because it would eliminate that guarantee of playing proper Reputation content to earn Reputation Gear. :/
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,453 Community Moderator
    Awhile back I advocated for streamlining the Reputation Mark economy into one Universal Reputation Mark. My reasoning was that, as predicted, it would continue to grow with each new Reputation Track added and start to become cumbersome.

I was met with the same arguments about playing unrelated content to earn Reputation Gear, I.E. playing Romulan Reputation content and buying Omega Gear. My counter to that was that Elite Reputation Marks could stay in place to ensure at least a minimum amount of proper content was played for earning Reputation Gear. Although, it was pointed out to me that Nukara doesn't have an Elite Reputation Mark, I still felt this was a way to go in order to streamline the economy.

But since Cryptic added the Reputation Project to convert 100 Reputation Marks into 1 Elite Reputation Mark, I can no longer advocate Universal Reputation Marks as a solution, because it would eliminate that guarantee of playing proper Reputation content to earn Reputation Gear. :/

When I said "lump them together", I meant in the OP's list. Listing them seperately kinda inflates the list.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Deleted. Double post

Yup. You earn them like a currency. You spend them like a currency. They're sitting in the "Assets" tab with your other currencies.

They're a currency.
    yes but your not buying anything with reputation marks your buying it with Dilithium and EC for example the Omega Adapted Borg Technology Set will cost you 15000 Dilithium & 30000 EC for the Kinetic Cutting Beam, 15000 Dilithium & 30000 EC for the Omega Torpedo Launcher and 15000 Dilithium & 30000 EC for the Universal Console, the marks are just added as proof that you have played enough of the content to entitle you to buy these items.

No. Just... no.

You spend them. You accrue them and then use them and they are GONE. This is not some "experience" you gain which simply tallies and opens up options. It's money, you earn it, you spend it on goods then you lose it.
    Annnd, just to be clear...
    A full set of Mk XII Gear costs 3000 Marks, 15 Elite Marks, and ~100,000 Dilithium.

Attaining Tier 5 in Omega Rep costs 1,686 Marks, 0 Elite Marks, and ~80,000 Dilithium.

People that have already obtained a full set of the Mk XII gear of their choosing no longer have the need to spend the currency listed in above.

That would be Borticus referring to both Marks and Elite Marks as currency.
  • khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I want my quatloos.
    edited August 2015

Yup. You earn them like a currency. You spend them like a currency. They're sitting in the "Assets" tab with your other currencies.

They're a currency.

No. Just... no.

You spend them. You accrue them and then use them and they are GONE. This is not some "experience" you gain which simply tallies and opens up options. It's money, you earn it, you spend it on goods then you lose it.

if they are not some "experience" you gain which simply tallies and opens up options why is it you use them to unlock the tiers of the reputations they are for and the options to buy the reputation gear?

they are more akin to loyalty vouchers you used to get in supermarkets then they are to actual currency and as loyalty vouchers in supermarkets can only be exchanged in the supermarket chain they were gained in so reputation marks can only be exchanged in the reputation they are earned for.
    just as you cant use your Tesco`s loyalty vouchers to pay your electric bill likewise you cant use reputation marks to buy something from the exchange or the dil store they can only be used for the one store the reputation store they belong to.
    and just like loyalty vouchers You accrue them and then use them and they are GONE but nobody would class loyalty vouchers as currency.
    sure they are an asset but just because somethings an asset does not by default class it as a currency, my house is an asset but I cant spend it and its certainly not classed as currency.

• coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    I think it's about time for a currency conversion option. To discourage people concentrating on the same ISA run over and over make it an expensive service. So a rubbish conversion rate, like 10 of one mark for 1 of another mark, and even all a Dil charge for the service.

Or have it work like the Dil exchange and let players sell off their excess marks for other players in return for Dil.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    There are 2 ways you can look at Marks, IMO. One way is obviously a currency, since you earn them and spend them to get things you want. The other way is like a crafting material that is required to get the item you want. However, since the game itself shows them right along with your EC and dilithium, it is pretty obvious that the game views them like a currency.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I think it's about time for a currency conversion option. To discourage people concentrating on the same ISA run over and over make it an expensive service. So a rubbish conversion rate, like 10 of one mark for 1 of another mark, and even all a Dil charge for the service.

Or have it work like the Dil exchange and let players sell off their excess marks for other players in return for Dil.

why bother selling off excess marks to other players for dil when you can exchange excess marks for dil through the reputation system.

• cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    GPL is not useless, you can get a number of great items, my personal favorite are the disco balls.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    As Cryptic themselves call the marks "currency" I think that this part of the discussion can be brought to a close.

They really don't need to have all of these currencies. EC, GPL, Lobi, Refined Dilithium and event currencies is all that is needed.

Reps should an XP style bucket that is filled by completing the appropriate content and slaying the appropriate enemy. As each level unlocks stuff to buy, use EC, GPL and Dil to set the price to get things out of the Rep Store.

Lobi can remain doing what it does. And the events will have the rotating currency that erased at the end of that event to control that ball of wax. It would be so much simpler.

Fleet marks and credits should be dropped in favor of the appropriate fleet resources, and fleet reputation. Fleet reputation replaces the fleet credits and gained by filling the buckets for the fleet projects. You can even use the fleet rep as a requirement to unlock ships, gear or anything else to be bought from the fleet stores. Allowing for more granularity at the fleet level to control who can buy stuff. With the best contributors getting the most access.

I really do think that the whole marks/elite marks system is way more cumbersome than it needs to be. And the above streamlining will make it easier for new players to understand what they need to do to get stuff.

All just thoughts in my head....
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    coupaholic wrote: »

why bother selling off excess marks to other players for dil when you can exchange excess marks for dil through the reputation system.

Because if those marks are in demand you could earn more Dil for them.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    sisteric wrote: »
    As Cryptic themselves call the marks "currency" I think that this part of the discussion can be brought to a close.

They really don't need to have all of these currencies. EC, GPL, Lobi, Refined Dilithium and event currencies is all that is needed.

Reps should an XP style bucket that is filled by completing the appropriate content and slaying the appropriate enemy. As each level unlocks stuff to buy, use EC, GPL and Dil to set the price to get things out of the Rep Store.
    I think what would be lost here is that you do no longer need to play specific content to buy the rep gear. You just play it to max out the reputation.

If they keep the amount of content required to max out reputation the same as now, that would mean that people would be able to stop doing that content much earlier than now.
    If they extend the amount of content needed to max out a reputation to also account for the ability to acquire the rep items (or some significant percentage of that time), then players lose the flexibility on what they spend their resources on and when.

Also, without elite reputation marks, there is even less reason to run advanced or elite versions of content. Maybe even no reason to run the battle zones.

I am not saying you couldn't do that, but the reputation currencies definitely have a purpose in the game as is. Whether you like that purpose or not is another matter.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    if they are not some "experience" you gain which simply tallies and opens up options why is it you use them to unlock the tiers of the reputations they are for and the options to buy the reputation gear?

You're buying access the higher levels of the store. In case you've forgotten... you also spend EC in those projects. Thus using your argument, the main currency in the game used via standard vendors and the Exchange, Energy Credits, aren't a currency either it's "experience" because you use it to unlock higher levels of the store.
    they are more akin to loyalty vouchers you used to get in supermarkets then they are to actual currency and as loyalty vouchers in supermarkets can only be exchanged in the supermarket chain they were gained in so reputation marks can only be exchanged in the reputation they are earned for. just as you cant use your Tesco`s loyalty vouchers to pay your electric bill likewise you cant use reputation marks to buy something from the exchange or the dil store they can only be used for the one store the reputation store they belong to.

Limiting where you can spend a currency doesn't make something not a currency. There are no universal currencies.

You can't spend dilithium on the exchange, nor zen... so are they not a currency? You can't spend EC or dilithium in the zen store, so are they not a currency? You can only spend each currency at specific vendors, that doesn't invalidate any of them from being currencies. Hell, GPD is only redeemable at, what, two types of vendors and through a few DOff missions but, guess what... it's a currency.

In the real world you can't directly pay an American electric bill in euros nor yen. Does that mean yen and euros aren't currency? No, it merely means that they aren't universally accepted, and must be exchanged for other applicable currencies and, hey, guess what...? You can exchange Marks for different currencies, specifically EC through selling acquired gear, and for dilithium directly. There's a direct system of exchange in place for something you readily acknowledge is a currency... kinda odd that there's an exchange rate into currency for something you'd suggest isn't one.

And no currency is universally accepted, and ultimately... money has no intrinsic value, it's just a standard of deferred payment. It's a voucher. The money in your wallet is a voucher issued by the government to represent a debt owed to you which can be redeemed for goods and services, it represents value and purchasing power... much like Marks do, which have purchasing power through the Reputation stores, and a value checked against EC (since you can sell purchased gear for it) and Dilithium (since there is a system of direct exchange).

A voucher is currency. It may not be universally accepted, but no currency is.

You've flatly called it a reputation store. You've referred to the process as buying. What do you use to buy stuff from stores? Money (aka: Currency).

So yeah... no. Just... no. No. No, no, no.

◔_◔
    edited August 2015

You're buying access the higher levels of the store. In case you've forgotten... you also spend EC in those projects. Thus using your argument, the main currency in the game used via standard vendors and the Exchange, Energy Credits, aren't a currency either it's "experience" because you use it to unlock higher levels of the store.
    they are more akin to loyalty vouchers you used to get in supermarkets then they are to actual currency and as loyalty vouchers in supermarkets can only be exchanged in the supermarket chain they were gained in so reputation marks can only be exchanged in the reputation they are earned for. just as you cant use your Tesco`s loyalty vouchers to pay your electric bill likewise you cant use reputation marks to buy something from the exchange or the dil store they can only be used for the one store the reputation store they belong to.

Limiting where you can spend a currency doesn't make something not a currency. There are no universal currencies.

You can't spend dilithium on the exchange, nor zen... so are they not a currency? You can't spend EC or dilithium in the zen store, so are they not a currency? You can only spend each currency at specific vendors, that doesn't invalidate any of them from being currencies. Hell, GPD is only redeemable at, what, two types of vendors and through a few DOff missions but, guess what... it's a currency.

In the real world you can't directly pay an American electric bill in euros nor yen. Does that mean yen and euros aren't currency? No, it merely means that they aren't universally accepted, and must be exchanged for other applicable currencies and, hey, guess what...? You can exchange Marks for different currencies, specifically EC through selling acquired gear, and for dilithium directly. There's a direct system of exchange in place for something you readily acknowledge is a currency... kinda odd that there's an exchange rate into currency for something you'd suggest isn't one.

And no currency is universally accepted, and ultimately... money has no intrinsic value, it's just a standard of deferred payment. It's a voucher. The money in your wallet is a voucher issued by the government to represent a debt owed to you which can be redeemed for goods and services, it represents value and purchasing power... much like Marks do, which have purchasing power through the Reputation stores, and a value checked against EC (since you can sell purchased gear for it) and Dilithium (since there is a system of direct exchange).

A voucher is currency. It may not be universally accepted, but no currency is.

You've flatly called it a reputation store. You've referred to the process as buying. What do you use to buy stuff from stores? Money (aka: Currency).

So yeah... no. Just... no. No. No, no, no.

◔_◔

as you use a loyalty voucher to buy something from a store does not exclude the use of money, you still need to spend some money in partnership with the loyalty vouchers as you still need to use EC and DIl in partnership with the marks.
    having said that i will add O.K as this conversation is obviously a matter of view I will concede your argument but as you say " no currency is universally accepted" this also applies to reputation marks so if you want to fill the reputations and buy the gear then you must except the marks that are associated with them as they are here to stay in all their current and future flavours.
    if you don't want to do these things then just disregard the marks ignore the reputations and forgo the use of the reputation gear.

• sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    sisteric wrote: »

I think what would be lost here is that you do no longer need to play specific content to buy the rep gear. You just play it to max out the reputation.

If they keep the amount of content required to max out reputation the same as now, that would mean that people would be able to stop doing that content much earlier than now.
    If they extend the amount of content needed to max out a reputation to also account for the ability to acquire the rep items (or some significant percentage of that time), then players lose the flexibility on what they spend their resources on and when.

Also, without elite reputation marks, there is even less reason to run advanced or elite versions of content. Maybe even no reason to run the battle zones.

I am not saying you couldn't do that, but the reputation currencies definitely have a purpose in the game as is. Whether you like that purpose or not is another matter.

No. Without Elite Marks you can up the rep gained from Advanced and Elite. There also remains the rarer R&D mats are only acquired in Advanced and Elite STF's so there is still reasons to run them.

And with the new system of converting marks to elite marks....are you saying that has eliminated any need to run Advanced and Elite?

They can modify the rep points need to unlock something, if you feel there is a need. I personally don't think there is one. And I see this as freeing things up for diversity, more so than the current system does. Now you have to run specific content ad nauseam for what you want. My suggested way means you only need to run the content to unlock it. But you can run ANY content to get it purchased. Which allows you to diversify your play to keep from getting burnt out, and allows you to diversify your gear because you can be always working for what you want no matter what you are doing. It also keeps things from getting to complicated. And adding a new reputation doesn't require any changes to the UI that list resources. Just the reputation tab, which gets altered in either way. This would save on man-hours, coding time and program size.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
    ...but as you say " no currency is universally accepted" this also applies to reputation marks so if you want to fill the reputations and buy the gear then you must except the marks that are associated with them as they are here to stay in all their current and future flavours.

Except that maybe they aren't here to stay.

Remember Merits and Honor? Remember the five orders of PvP medals? The five orders of Exploration and Honor Marks? Marks of Valor? Emblems? All of those are gone now. Most of these were replaced with Dilithium and EC.

They were removed by Cryptic under Dstahl because it was just too much. Too many stores with too many different currencies, all of which needed to be collected. It's annoying.

And worse, it's daunting to newcomers. Too many currencies and too many stores drives off new players. It seems like too many individual things to earn from too many different places. The content from which it must be harvested from is too narrow (and generally doesn't expand any, since new content generally comes with new currencies instead of adding new ways to earn old currencies), and no one wants to have to reference to a list five miles long to find out what gear is sold where for what currency and how to earn said currency.

There's a reason STO had it's currencies streamlined once already. Dilithium was supposed to be the "One Ring" of currencies, but mismanagement has lead to bloat once again.

For reference, in Neverwinter they have:
    1. Gold
    2. Zen
    3. Glory
    4. Astral Diamonds
    5. Rough Astral Diamonds
    6. Ardent Coins
    7. Celestial Coins
    8. Black Ice
    9. Raw Black Ice
    10. Medallions of Battle
    11. Bones of Valindra's Minions
    12. Lights of Simirl
    13. Stars of Fortune
    14. Rings of Light
    15. Winterkill Emblems
    16. Lliira's Favors
    17. Coins of Waukeen
    18. Favors of Sune
    19. Fireblossom Flowers
    20. Fireblossom Petals
    21. Masquerade Tokens
    22. Crystal Dice
    23. Commemorative Figurines
    24. Neverwinter Renown
    25. Dragon Cult Insignias
    26. Writs of Commendation
    27. Medals of Heroism
    28. Grym Coins
    29. Battlefied Artifact Seals
    30. Seals of Triumph
    31. Scrimshaw Trophies
    32. Tarlamune Trade Bars
    33. Silvery Dragon Scales
    34. Vanguard Scripts
    35. Thayan Ciphers
    36. Seals of the Shadowmantle
    37. Thayan Scrolls
    38. Auril's Tears
    39. Dwarf Gold
    40. Konig Coins
    41. Gold Crescents
    42. Vibrant Seedlings
    43. Abjuring Charms
    44. Iliyanbruen Blades
    45. Seals of the Dark Fey
    46. Feywild Sparks
    47. Shards of Dragonforged Steal
    48. Dragon Sigils
    49. Cult Secrets
    50. Pages of Arcane Lore
    51. Dragon Horde Coins
    52. Fallen Dragon Fangs
    53. Linu's Favors
    54. Seals of the Lion
    55. Seals of the Manticore
    56. Seals of the Pegasus
    57. Seals of the Unicorn
    58. Seals of the Drake
    59. Seals of the Elements
    60. Seals of the Protectors
    61. Many Arrows Insignias
    62. Blackdagger Insignias
    63. Necromantic Sigils
    64. Ashmadai Symbols
    65. Deathknell Shard Slivers
    66. Grey Wold Insignias
    67. Blackdagger Gold Coins
    68. Mithral Nuggets
    69. Blue Fire Insignias
    70. Symbols of Lloth
    71. Ember Shards
    72. Dwarf Relics
    73. Fomorian Concoctions

And that is why I'm not playing Neverwinter.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,117 Arc User
    I think that the question of whether or not you count such-and-such as a currency is interesting from a scientific PoV, but for gameplay it's the same how you call it.

And yes, it is a lot of different stuff (don't forget the CXPs you can convert into fleet marks) and as much as I like the reputation system* and am expecting more to happen, I'd like some streamlining so you can more easily find what you can get where and how it compares to other stuff you get someplace else.

* From an immersive PoV I would even prefer marks choice STFs and marks of choice for event pets did not exist (the normal epohhs are after all on New Rom). As a player, I am using these ways of course, so I am not running the same stuff all over again if I do not enjoy it, even if it means I have to wait, and would probably not be happy if it were taken away.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • craigthemastercraigthemaster Member Posts: 74 Arc User

Exactly, "buy". Anything you spend to gain an item is classed as a currency, says so in the dictionary :# Marks are far from tokens to buy things. It's currency, plain and simple. Bit coins aren’t a currency, but you can buy things with them.
  • craigthemastercraigthemaster Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    ...but as you say " no currency is universally accepted" this also applies to reputation marks so if you want to fill the reputations and buy the gear then you must except the marks that are associated with them as they are here to stay in all their current and future flavours.

Except that maybe they aren't here to stay.

Remember Merits and Honor? Remember the five orders of PvP medals? The five orders of Exploration and Honor Marks? Marks of Valor? Emblems? All of those are gone now. Most of these were replaced with Dilithium and EC.

They were removed by Cryptic under Dstahl because it was just too much. Too many stores with too many different currencies, all of which needed to be collected. It's annoying.

And worse, it's daunting to newcomers. Too many currencies and too many stores drives off new players. It seems like too many individual things to earn from too many different places. The content from which it must be harvested from is too narrow (and generally doesn't expand any, since new content generally comes with new currencies instead of adding new ways to earn old currencies), and no one wants to have to reference to a list five miles long to find out what gear is sold where for what currency and how to earn said currency.

There's a reason STO had it's currencies streamlined once already. Dilithium was supposed to be the "One Ring" of currencies, but mismanagement has lead to bloat once again.

For reference, in Neverwinter they have:
    1. Gold
    2. Zen
    3. Glory
    4. Astral Diamonds
    5. Rough Astral Diamonds
    6. Ardent Coins
    7. Celestial Coins
    8. Black Ice
    9. Raw Black Ice
    10. Medallions of Battle
    11. Bones of Valindra's Minions
    12. Lights of Simirl
    13. Stars of Fortune
    14. Rings of Light
    15. Winterkill Emblems
    16. Lliira's Favors
    17. Coins of Waukeen
    18. Favors of Sune
    19. Fireblossom Flowers
    20. Fireblossom Petals
    21. Masquerade Tokens
    22. Crystal Dice
    23. Commemorative Figurines
    24. Neverwinter Renown
    25. Dragon Cult Insignias
    26. Writs of Commendation
    27. Medals of Heroism
    28. Grym Coins
    29. Battlefied Artifact Seals
    30. Seals of Triumph
    31. Scrimshaw Trophies
    32. Tarlamune Trade Bars
    33. Silvery Dragon Scales
    34. Vanguard Scripts
    35. Thayan Ciphers
    36. Seals of the Shadowmantle
    37. Thayan Scrolls
    38. Auril's Tears
    39. Dwarf Gold
    40. Konig Coins
    41. Gold Crescents
    42. Vibrant Seedlings
    43. Abjuring Charms
    44. Iliyanbruen Blades
    45. Seals of the Dark Fey
    46. Feywild Sparks
    47. Shards of Dragonforged Steal
    48. Dragon Sigils
    49. Cult Secrets
    50. Pages of Arcane Lore
    51. Dragon Horde Coins
    52. Fallen Dragon Fangs
    53. Linu's Favors
    54. Seals of the Lion
    55. Seals of the Manticore
    56. Seals of the Pegasus
    57. Seals of the Unicorn
    58. Seals of the Drake
    59. Seals of the Elements
    60. Seals of the Protectors
    61. Many Arrows Insignias
    62. Blackdagger Insignias
    63. Necromantic Sigils
    64. Ashmadai Symbols
    65. Deathknell Shard Slivers
    66. Grey Wold Insignias
    67. Blackdagger Gold Coins
    68. Mithral Nuggets
    69. Blue Fire Insignias
    70. Symbols of Lloth
    71. Ember Shards
    72. Dwarf Relics
    73. Fomorian Concoctions

And that is why I'm not playing Neverwinter.

I agree, with everything you just said, It is daunting, I've lost so many people from my fleet because they can't bare to log on to be faced with yet another rep system and grinding, with added currency.
    We had a guy come back who had a baby, his wife any way, not him. He had a two year break and logged on to be greeted with Star Bases, four or five rep systems, new rep marks, you name it. He said hello, handed over his log in details and left. Never saw that guy again.

I would much prefer a sol Rep mark, Regardless of what marks are for what rep I play everything on sto, from Borg STF’s to Nukara prime, Romulan STF’s to Undine stuff. It’s all enjoyable. Just feel like P/W punish its players for no reason at all.

Oh, and yeah, I'd not play neverwinter either. ^^ GOD DAM ^^ !!!!

• eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    If you were a new player, 70% of that list is unavailable to you until you hit 50, in which hopefully, you took your time in learning the game. It is not hard in game to learn about the various currencies if you take the time. Yes, Neverwinter's is terrible especially when they introduce new currencies without even telling you where you can earn them.