test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Currencies

Comments

• hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    You need expertise to "buy" reputation XP and specialization points to "buy" those powers, so I guess those are currencies in our meritocracy. You need R&D materials to "buy" crafted components, and those to "buy" crafted items in our value-added system. You can "buy" a better doff by selling off common doffs in our form of slavery, too.

The economy of the UFP was never fully explained on-screen, but seems to be a combination of embezzlement, cronyism, privateering, and kickbacks.

Regarding reputation marks:
    The economics of the future are somewhat different. You see, money doesn't exist in the 25th century. We use tally sticks.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    veryth12 wrote: »
    bluedarky wrote: »
    sisteric wrote: »
    Have none of you guys honestly ever heard "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!?"

It ain't broke

Don't fix it

In my opinion, it is broke. And getting increasingly complicated for the role it plays. It needs to be changed to make it better.

It needs to be fixed.

Even if it is broken, it's still not going to be an overnight fix or we'll be swapping one minor problem for a major one.

Actually, there is a very easy fix. They should convert all of the "old" reputations into a generic reputation mark, and then keep the specific mark for any new reputation. For example, right now all of the marks except the iconian marks would be converted to generic reputation marks so that you can use them in any non-iconian reputation. At the same time, you have to have iconian marks for the iconian rep. When the next reputation gets released, all of the iconian marks are converted to generic marks, and the new rep has it's own mark. The same could be done with the "elite currencies" (iconian data probes etc). This way, it makes getting marks for the "old" reputations a little easier for someone who is behind, but still requires specific content to be completed to get the new reputation's currency. This way, there is only ever 4 reputation currencys going on at a time. Generic marks, generic "elite" items, the current nest rep mark, and the associated elite items.

The idea behind the rep system is that you don't just farm one piece of content over and over and over and over and over again just because it's the easiest way to get marks.

Your system guarantees that everyone will just farm Dyson Ground Battlezone and ISA over and over.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    If you buy something with it, it's a currency.

As much as I would love there to be one generic "reputation mark" that could be used in any rep of your choice, I am forced to follow logic: The "reputation marks" are not currency. They are representations of time spent in a specific activity. They are then used by the player to trade the time and effort you put in to a specific reputation for items offered from that specific reputation that hold the value that is equal to your time and effort.

This is more like going into a video game arcade at your favorite local gaming store and giving real currency in exchange for TOKENs. You use the tokens to play the game. Not money.

Money holds or represents value in itself. Tokens hold value only at the place they are representing, they are not money. They are not currency. Money can be used and exchanged all over the planet. Tokens only work at Chuck E. Cheese: The Wall Street Journal http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB122878081364889613

LiJf02C.png

LLAP!

T9​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • craigthemastercraigthemaster Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    thetanine wrote: »

As much as I would love there to be one generic "reputation mark" that could be used in any rep of your choice, I am forced to follow logic: The "reputation marks" are not currency. They are representations of time spent in a specific activity. They are then used by the player to trade the time and effort you put in to a specific reputation for items offered from that specific reputation that hold the value that is equal to your time and effort.

This is more like going into a video game arcade at your favorite local gaming store and giving real currency in exchange for TOKENs. You use the tokens to play the game. Not money.

Money holds or represents value in itself. Tokens hold value only at the place they are representing, they are not money. They are not currency. Money can be used and exchanged all over the planet. Tokens only work at Chuck E. Cheese: The Wall Street Journal http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB122878081364889613

LiJf02C.png

LLAP!

T9​​

Actually they are a currency, just go in game and hover over the mark. The description says you use these to "buy" reputation gear. Currency means anything that is used to purchase an item!

[/quote] The idea behind the rep system is that you don't just farm one piece of content over and over and over and over and over again just because it's the easiest way to get marks.

Your system guarantees that everyone will just farm Dyson Ground Battlezone and ISA over and over.[/quote]

You can't farm dyson ground anymore it's a 20 hour cool down on the mission. Where before you were killing the dino's to get the big Dil and marks. It's now a once a day mission. And I'm not sure about you but all we do is the same Stf over, and over and over. So what difference would it make if you got just a generic mark.

azrael605 wrote: »
    tc10b wrote: »
    There [are] other ways to get gear or unlock it. You can have a counter of sorts, where you have to play 25 Borg Cure spaces for instance to get the deflector, And 25 Infected for the Engine and so on.... Just an idea. But don't forget the main reason were all playing the PvE maps is for the lovely Dilithium.

Lol, that was actually how it used to work back before the god awful reputation system began!

Everytime you ran an STF you got an Encrypted Borg Datachip (currency), which could then be exchanged for the MK X or MK XI version of the gear you wanted. These were simple enough to get and only the really dedicated or lucky got the MK XII.

Which incidentally, only mattered if you wanted a costume option, a couple of accolades and a title as back then Mark XI was endgame and MK XII was very rare.

Back then, you had to run Ground STFs if you wanted a particular piece of gear, but they removed that requirement. So now you can mindlessly grind Infected Space doing "1337 dps" and get MACO ground armor.

That system wasn't broken, but we got the rep system because people whined hard on the forums about how much they actually had to play the only real endgame content available at that time in order to (not) get the gear, particularly min maxers who'd never done ground combat and hadn't specced for it at all or indeed knew how to play anything but space and were confused by things like the Borg adapting to their weapons and refused to carry a remodulator.

People complained it would mean people wouldn't do the Ground segments anymore. They were right.

Well first off it wasn't 1 EDC per piece of equipment, the Mk X version of the Assimilated Space Set cost 6 EDCs per piece, 18 for the entire set, even the anti-borg weaponry from the Omega Store cost multiple EDCs plus salvage etc. When the Rep System was first introduced I was absolutely 100 percent against it, but my opinion has changed as the system has evolved.

The old way could work alot better now come to think of it. Yuo get a data chip for Mrk XII gear and then upgrade it. Rep systems are a pain and I think they know it is as once you done one toon you have to start on another. Having to the same grind on multipul toons on the same account is tiresome. The sponsorship does some good but I do thing PW know its a long haul.

[/quote] Well first off it wasn't 1 EDC per piece of equipment, the Mk X version of the Assimilated Space Set cost 6 EDCs per piece, 18 for the entire set, even the anti-borg weaponry from the Omega Store cost multiple EDCs plus salvage etc. When the Rep System was first introduced I was absolutely 100 percent against it, but my opinion has changed as the system has evolved. [/quote]

I agree, the whole upgrading system has more or less changed it back in favour of the old way.

• johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    One of the other things that could help would be some other smaller reputation systems. I always thought that some small rep system for each of the playable factions, available to all races. I know the romulan rep system already is there, but just a small system that provides small rewards. Also a rep system for all groups of playable races in the game and all species of a faction could offer small bonuses and possible a purple doff, boff, and/or a ship of the faction for the season 11 ship doff system.
    for example, a federation player could then have a ufp, kdf and romulan republic rep system each. finishing each one could give a flagship of each faction as a ship doff card, and a doff of the captain of that ship. Within the fed faction, there could then be mini species rep systems, for example, trill, human, vulcan and so on. completing each could offer the player a purple doff of a known character from the shows. The doff could be a hologram of a character, so for example completing the vulcan rep system could award a Shrek hologram diplomat doff, or a Saavek Conn officer doff hologram.
    These smaller rep systems could use any rep marks, or use ones from related rep systems. An occampa rep system would use delta marks, where the liberated borg rep system would use omega marks.
    This could help players to use up and play some content to gain specific marks again, but also open up more rewards, the idea of hologram doffs of all the main characters of the various shows for completing these rep systems as well as doff ships of the hero ships from the shows could be very cool.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,745 Community Moderator
    As much as I would love there to be one generic "reputation mark" that could be used in any rep of your choice, I am forced to follow logic: The "reputation marks" are not currency. They are representations of time spent in a specific activity.​​

For those of us that earn our money (currency), it too is a representation of time spent in a specific activity (work). ;)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2015

At best, they could be considered both dilithium, and EC's as far as a currency goes!

Because anything you can purchase with them, either costs/grants you the equivalent dilithium wise, and any gear purchased/won from this system has an EC value when vendored/trashed!

So at best, there is IMO still only 3 actual currencies in game outside of Zen, dilithium/EC/GPL.
    Post edited by shadowwraith77 on
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

LiJf02C.png

LLAP!

T9

Actually they are a currency, just go in game and hover over the mark. The description says you use these to "buy" reputation gear. Currency means anything that is used to purchase an item!

Well if you want to get technical, then that's a whole can of worms I don't think you want to open. If so, start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency and read that page, then follow all the links on fiat money, etc. to learn the actual definition of those terms.

Then go here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_of_exchange

A medium of exchange is an intermediary used in trade to avoid the inconveniences of a pure barter system.

So, what reputation marks really are, are mediums of exchange, not money. Reputation Marks have no dollar value.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • sdkraustsdkraust Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    tc10b wrote: »
    That system wasn't broken, but we got the rep system because people whined hard on the forums about how much they actually had to play the only real endgame content available at that time in order to (not) get the gear, particularly min maxers who'd never done ground combat and hadn't specced for it at all or indeed knew how to play anything but space and were confused by things like the Borg adapting to their weapons and refused to carry a remodulator.

People complained it would mean people wouldn't do the Ground segments anymore. They were right.

The ground sigma from IGE / CGE still exist in the community which is sad because there are MANY better ground STFs now. This is coming form someone who got Full MACO Mk XII (Both Space & Ground) pre-Rep.

IGE was hilariously impossible. Only possible with a dedicated team at the time.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User

It ain't broke

Don't fix it

In my opinion, it is broke. And getting increasingly complicated for the role it plays. It needs to be changed to make it better.

It needs to be fixed.

What is the cost of it being broken, if it's broken as you say?

What would happen if it never gets "fixed" and continues to expand by 3-4 reps a year?
    "thetanine wrote: »
    Reputation Marks have no dollar value.​​

Actually, since Reputation Marks can be converted into Dilithium and Dilithium can be converted into Zen and Zen can be bought with real world currency, then one could conceivably calculate the value of a Reputation Mark based on the current Dilithium exchange rate. :)
    GrWzQke.png
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User

It ain't broke

Don't fix it

It needs to be fixed.

And you are wrong.

You are wrong. I said it was my opinion. And as such, the opinion that it is broken is not wrong. The fact that you don't agree is fine. But does not invalidate my opinion.

So unless you care to discuss your OPINION that it's not broke, don't tell me I am wrong for having an opinion.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)

It ain't broke

Don't fix it

It needs to be fixed.

What is the cost of it being broken, if it's broken as you say?

What would happen if it never gets "fixed" and continues to expand by 3-4 reps a year?

Costs are added complication as I have to figure out how to get the currencies I may need to acquire the gear I may want. AT the times that I play, certain whole reps worth of queues are never played. So PUGing is not an option. Combine that with a lack of fleet members online during my time and now those particular marks are not viable to attain on a regular basis. I have to wait for special events to pick them up. At least for STF's. And not all reps have a battle ground associated to them. And even battlegrounds during my playtimes are pretty empty.

So the cost, to me specifically, is that I can't get the marks in any reliable manner. And since there is no solo play method to gain the marks, I have to wait for the whims of OTHER players to do what I want to do. Which costs me the ability to have fun in my own way in the game.

What will happen is that people move on to the new queues tied to the latest reps, the older queues will become empty. With them empty it means subsequent new characters, be they from new players or alternates from veteran players, will not be able to reasonably progress at these queues unless they have enough fleetmates to work with or play at times that those queues are active.

Currently, most of my alts can't advance in most of the reps because there is no one running the reps during the times I play. And until the either had solo ways to get the marks, or universal monetization of the stores, or some other means that makes the STF's viable during all time periods, this systems makes it difficult for me to get older reps with any reasonable amount of effort or reliability. And it takes several special events to just get enough marks to get one item bought, let alone a full set.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)

It ain't broke

Don't fix it

It needs to be fixed.

And you are wrong.

You are wrong. I said it was my opinion. And as such, the opinion that it is broken is not wrong. The fact that you don't agree is fine. But does not invalidate my opinion.

So unless you care to discuss your OPINION that it's not broke, don't tell me I am wrong for having an opinion.

Your opinion is factually incorrect. The Reputation System is not broken. It is functioning exactly as designed and intended. That you have have difficulty in obtaining your desired Marks (as indicated in your other post) does not mean that the system itself is broken.

What is the case is that, as stated in another post here, the system is bloated with currencies, but, as also stated, each one is actually useful towards some goal.

At this point, instituting a Universal Reputation Mark would not solve the problems associated with the queues. In fact, it would hurt them more.
    GrWzQke.png
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User

It ain't broke

Don't fix it

It needs to be fixed.

And you are wrong.

Your opinion is factually incorrect. The Reputation System is not broken. It is functioning exactly as designed and intended. That you have have difficulty in obtaining your desired Marks (as indicated in your other post) does not mean that the system itself is broken.

What is the case is that, as stated in another post here, the system is bloated with currencies, but, as also stated, each one is actually useful towards some goal.

At this point, instituting a Universal Reputation Mark would not solve the problems associated with the queues. In fact, it would hurt them more.

This has been productive though as it highlights the problem: some content isn't getting played enough.

This is where there are multiple solutions. Buff the marks awarded from those missions so they don't have to be played as much. Incentivize playing them more with weekend dilithium events or new rewards for old reps with mark costs that draw old players back in, maybe some truly high mark cost items (ie. Embassy BOffs for 50k Romulan marks). Add older reputations' marks to mission replay. Increase experience gains from old reputation daily projects.

These are all hypotheticals but when you cut past a proposed solution to the problem underlying it, you create options for the devs.

It ain't broke

Don't fix it

It needs to be fixed.

And you are wrong.

"Factually" for me, the system fails to deliver on it's role, and therefore broken. I state that it's my opinion that it's broken because I recognize that others are not having my issues with that system, there fore not broken for them.

I relate it to the lag issue. I see all these posts about people having lagging issues with the game. The fact remains for me that I have not had these issues and so is not 'broken' in that respect.

"Facts" involving systems functionality in a video game are very much tied to the users direct experience with it and the environmental factors involved.

My opinion is not factually incorrect because it directly correlates to my direct experience and the fact that it does present as game functionality that does not perform at a reasonable expectation. It function poorly, at best, and there is broken in regards to my experience to the game.

Does it function, Yes. Does it function optimally, not consistently across the board. Is it important, Yes. Is it reliable, again not consistently across the board. There fore, in my opinion, it is broken and needs to be change to improve it's usefulness, reliability and function to be consistent across the board. A thing is broken, to me, if it is not consistent and reliable then it's not working properly and needs to be corrected to make it consistent and reliable for all who makes use of said thing.

Again, as I have consistently have said, these are my opinions and as such, they are not wrong, factually incorrect or anything else beyond being my opinion. Can we move on from this point of my opinion now?

Reputation Marks have no dollar value.

Actually, since Reputation Marks can be converted into Dilithium and Dilithium can be converted into Zen and Zen can be bought with real world currency, then one could conceivably calculate the value of a Reputation Mark based on the current Dilithium exchange rate. :)

That would require that transaction to work in BOTH directions. Only "real money" can be transacted in both directions. Rep Marks are not "real money" as they can not be bought for Real Money.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
    This has been productive though as it highlights the problem: some content isn't getting played enough.

This is where there are multiple solutions. Buff the marks awarded from those missions so they don't have to be played as much. Incentivize playing them more with weekend dilithium events or new rewards for old reps with mark costs that draw old players back in, maybe some truly high mark cost items (ie. Embassy BOffs for 50k Romulan marks). Add older reputations' marks to mission replay. Increase experience gains from old reputation daily projects.

These are all hypotheticals but when you cut past a proposed solution to the problem underlying it, you create options for the devs.

True. I'd like to see hourlies come back with a different queued mission receiving a bonus to rewards as incentive to get people playing them.
    GrWzQke.png

True. I'd like to see hourlies come back with a different queued mission receiving a bonus to rewards as incentive to get people playing them.

Even if they did these as weekly or week end things it would be better than what is going on now.

It ain't broke

Don't fix it

It needs to be fixed.

And you are wrong.

"Factually" for me, the system fails to deliver on it's role, and therefore broken. I state that it's my opinion that it's broken because I recognize that others are not having my issues with that system, there fore not broken for them.

I relate it to the lag issue. I see all these posts about people having lagging issues with the game. The fact remains for me that I have not had these issues and so is not 'broken' in that respect.

"Facts" involving systems functionality in a video game are very much tied to the users direct experience with it and the environmental factors involved.

My opinion is not factually incorrect because it directly correlates to my direct experience and the fact that it does present as game functionality that does not perform at a reasonable expectation. It function poorly, at best, and there is broken in regards to my experience to the game.

Does it function, Yes. Does it function optimally, not consistently across the board. Is it important, Yes. Is it reliable, again not consistently across the board. There fore, in my opinion, it is broken and needs to be change to improve it's usefulness, reliability and function to be consistent across the board. A thing is broken, to me, if it is not consistent and reliable then it's not working properly and needs to be corrected to make it consistent and reliable for all who makes use of said thing.

Again, as I have consistently have said, these are my opinions and as such, they are not wrong, factually incorrect or anything else beyond being my opinion. Can we move on from this point of my opinion now?

I shall not debate semantics with you.
    GrWzQke.png

It ain't broke

Don't fix it

It needs to be fixed.

And you are wrong.

I shall not debate semantics with you.

Not semantics being debated, but you dismissing my opinion without countering the basis of my opinion. Or at least, that is what I felt was going on.

That would require that transaction to work in BOTH directions. Only "real money" can be transacted in both directions. Rep Marks are not "real money" as they can not be bought for Real Money.​​

Not really. Real money cannot be transacted in BOTH directions either. Real money can buy Zen can buy Dilithium, but I cannot turn around and turn it back into real money. I can, however, turn Marks into Dilithium into Zen, which can save me from using real money to buy Zen, and said savings in real money can be calculated via the current Dilithium exchange rate. So, a real world monetary value can be assigned to the Mark even though you cannot convert it into real money, based on monetary savings of Zen purchases.
    GrWzQke.png
    azrael605 wrote: »

It ain't broke

Don't fix it

It needs to be fixed.

And you are wrong.

As my brother would say. "You are entitled to your wrong opinion".

That's awfully narrow minded. I have not stated that anyone is wrong I their opinions. Because they are not wrong. An opinion is just that, one persons personal view of things. I can either agree or disagree, but I can't say they are wrong for having the opinion.

Why are there people who say that other people are wrong for not holding the same opinion as them? It really makes no sense.

That would require that transaction to work in BOTH directions. Only "real money" can be transacted in both directions. Rep Marks are not "real money" as they can not be bought for Real Money.

Not really. Real money cannot be transacted in BOTH directions either. Real money can buy Zen can buy Dilithium, but I cannot turn around and turn it back into real money. I can, however, turn Marks into Dilithium into Zen, which can save me from using real money to buy Zen, and said savings in real money can be calculated via the current Dilithium exchange rate. So, a real world monetary value can be assigned to the Mark even though you cannot convert it into real money, based on monetary savings of Zen purchases.

I said real money. You're no longer talking about real money. Real money is dollars, yen, rupees, pounds. I can trade dollars for pounds, and pounds for dollars, or other real money. In both directions. This is real money. Your argument is no longer valid if you can't define "real money".​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
    Not semantics being debated, but you dismissing my opinion without countering the basis of my opinion. Or at least, that is what I felt was going on.

I never dismissed your opinion. I, in fact, disputed your opinion. That is, I countered the basis of your opinion, as it is factually incorrect. However you choose to perceive the way the system works, does not negate the fact that it is not broken and works as intended. Your inability to adequately farm Reputation Marks is not indicative of flaws within the system itself, but the method by which you attempt to attain them. I will concede to you, though, that something must be done to address the lack of participation in certain queues.
    GrWzQke.png

That would require that transaction to work in BOTH directions. Only "real money" can be transacted in both directions. Rep Marks are not "real money" as they can not be bought for Real Money.

I said real money. You're no longer talking about real money. Real money is dollars, yen, rupees, pounds. I can trade dollars for pounds, and pounds for dollars, or other real money. In both directions. This is real money. Your argument is no longer valid if you can't define "real money".​​

Well, I was actually talking about in-game currencies. I erred in thinking you were speaking of real money being transacted back and forth between real world and in-game currency. I was only trying to illustrate that a real world value could be assigned to the Mark based on the fact that real world currency can be used to buy Zen to buy Dilithium, and that real world value could be determined depending upon the current Dilithium exchange rate.
    GrWzQke.png
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    There are MORE currencies now than back in Season 1/2 where we had badges and Cryptic said 'there are too many' and killed them all off.

:o What they need to do is... every couple seasons consolidate the 'old' marks into one pool so people can buy any of the 'old' Reputation junk with some 'generic' mark. This would also help with new players who can't find any people to do old content STFs. Just look at some of the queues... they've not seen 5 players in months, I'd bet. (Damn, I think of good ideas at 1am.)
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.