test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should Torpedo's separated from beams and cannons ?

Comments

• Options
    kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    No let it be !!!
    If the devs cant make torps more useful because of the lazyness work what make you think that they will put efforts on trying to do this lol. I mean, i wish we could use torps in a more efficient way, but separating em is not the solution xD. We will be in the same "boat" than right now. It is not a problem of having em apart, it is a problem that they need to be improved and FIXED. Separating em will be even worst, cryptic will forget about em even faster...
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    No let it be !!!
    But they are useful. It's just that focusing on beams is the best way to get maximum DPS. You can still get more than enough DPS for most of the game's content using torps or a mixed build.

Separating torp slots won't improve torps at all. All you will be doing is limit possible builds.
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    How about this for some out of the box thinking :

Make torpedo abilities and consoles engineering based?

Most engineering abilities are filler especially commander ones so changing torpedo's to that career would give us more options. You could still slot attack patterns and have high yield or spread.

However most engineering heavy ships are a bit slow for torpedo's so maybe making the science based would be a better choice?

Or even make all torpedo's have 180 arc.
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    Yes Seperate it, slot the torpedos part from the weapons slots
    there out there 360 arc launchers but you can only place one on a ship same as 360 arc cannons and beams you are able to only place one
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    360 degree arc launchers? Where? I've seen bigfoot more often then I've seen these. Only one? at 360 degrees, it's all I'll need.
  • Options
    thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    No let it be !!!
    No, this is an MMO and has an arcade approach, not a ST simulator.
    Gameserver not found.
  • Options
    Never seen a bigfoot but I did see a 360 arc stuff on exchange
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    smugsuksmugsuk Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    No let it be !!!
    I'm fine with it as is.
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    No let it be !!!
    Silly suggestion.

The solution isn't forcing torpedoes on everyone, the solution is to actually make the torpedoes in general worthwhile to use.
    At present only like three torpedoes in the entire game are actually really good, Enhanced-Bio Molecular, Gravimetric and Neutronic. The rest are either just "meh" or downright useless.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    No let it be !!!
    Silly suggestion.

The solution isn't forcing torpedoes on everyone, the solution is to actually make the torpedoes in general worthwhile to use.
    At present only like three torpedoes in the entire game are actually really good, Enhanced-Bio Molecular, Gravimetric and Neutronic. The rest are either just "meh" or downright useless.

Pretty much this.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    xparr15xparr15 Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    A lot of people are gonna hate me for it but I think that 1 generic weapon should be removed from every ship (front) and a torpedo slot added. Beyond that, additional torpedoes can go in the normal weapon slots still.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    Had this idea too, could also help to individualize ships more. A cruiser for instance having a rear and a forward torp tube. I also find the idea of limited torpedo ammunition intresting, but I think such a thing needs extensive testing and a lot of balancing which cryptic is most certainly not the company known to be capable of. Further there really should be an inherent resistance of hull versus energy weapons. Not as drastic as torpedoes versus shields but a 50% dmg reduction for energy weapons against hull would certainly boost torpedoes and mines.
    another thing that bothers me in STO is the stacking of identical consoles, especially tac consoles. I'd certainly change that.
    yet another thing I'd like to see in game is injuries being a thing that happen not after you die, but something that happens while you are being hit. So that you can actually "cripple" a player ship and after even a victorious battle you need to do repairs and the heals (like engineering team) even have chance to do that.
    I'm aware that STO is an arcade game and shouldn't be a simulator, but things like that could give combat more depth instead of just pouring insane amounts of enemy NPC's at you and the screen becoming one big rainbow colored epilepsy trigger. Less weapon animation would already go along way to do that. Starfleet command did a great job in keeping the fireworks down and it looked better in that regard. Even the largest battles didn't look like a rainbow parade on steroids, which is the case for even minor engagements in STO unfortunately.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    Silly suggestion.

Forcing what if you use that system its ok if you dont its not a problem you leave the slots empty or don't use it... no one is forcing you to do anything
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    durenasdurenas Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    The problem is, there are a lot of systems in the game that force you to choose. Skills, consoles, bridge officer seating, duty officers, traits, all of these things promote focussing on one weapon type and buffing it to the max.

Think about consoles. Say you're in a cruiser. you have 4 tactical console slots. Let's say your build is approximately canon-like. You have 3 fore phasers, 1 fore torpedo, and the same in the back. Do you put torpedo consoles in the tactical slots? No. Because it makes more sense to buff 6 weapons than to buff 2 weapons.

You have limited bridge officer seating. Do you slot Torpedo Spread 3? No, of course not. Beam Fire At Will 3 enhances beam damage, which is again, 6 slots of your ship being used, vs 2.

In order to make a true 'hybrid' system work, all of these things would need to change. You would need to have enough /dedicated/ slots for torpedoes that they would perform at a level equivalent to beams. And honestly, I don't see that happening.
  • Options
    How about another crazy idea?

Get rid of torpedo consoles and make energy weapon consoles boost both an energy type and a torpedo type?

Sticking to canon you'd have :

Phasers and quantum
    Disruptor and photons
    Plasma and plasma
    Polaron and transpashic
    Antiproton and chroniton
    Tetryon and tricobalt

Or you could have a pairing of every type that exists.
  • Options
    Related question : is the wide angle quantum torpedo worth upgrading to epic? I have it to mk xiv very rare and I like it but is the extra mods and slight damage worth it?
  • Options
    Not really worth the trouble upgrade it to very rare is good enough making it epic is not really worth the cost...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    No let it be !!!
    I'd rather see torps balanced among themselves. As noted, a couple rep ones are very good torps to use, but that's simply because they behave better with torp abilities and/or they have other useful effects on them. (EDIT: obviously I mean to buff other torps to usefulness, not nerf the few that actually see some use among players.)

And I'm strongly against depletable torps you'd have to keep buying at a starbase (or elsewhere, even if you could replicate them, it's annoying extra trouble).
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    How about another crazy idea?

Get rid of torpedo consoles and make energy weapon consoles boost both an energy type and a torpedo type?

Sticking to canon you'd have :

Phasers and quantum
    Disruptor and photons
    Plasma and plasma
    Polaron and transpashic
    Antiproton and chroniton
    Tetryon and tricobalt

Or you could have a pairing of every type that exists.

I like this idea quite a lot.It's the best I've seen so far. I would like a bit more variety combos for those of us who don't stick to canon as I do. Like Phaser/Transphasic or Tetryon/Photon etc.

Instead of nerfing energy weapon hull damage, I would like for torpedoes to do more damage to the shields, and as they go down, also to the hull. I don't like seeing the big bad wolf in a frigate take absolutely 0 damage from 4 torpedoes while having just 1%.

As for having choice taken away from the all beam players, telling them to "Load torpedoes or be left behind" is certainly NOT what I would want. The problem is that a similar devil's choice, "Beams only or be left behind" is what torpboat players and canon builds face in reality as of now.

I'll repeat my vote as cast was hasty, but something needs to be done to make torpedoes, not just the steroid infused special torpedoes, need to be viable again.
  • Options
    toiva wrote: »
    I'd rather see torps balanced among themselves. As noted, a couple rep ones are very good torps to use, but that's simply because they behave better with torp abilities and/or they have other useful effects on them. (EDIT: obviously I mean to buff other torps to usefulness, not nerf the few that actually see some use among players.)

And I'm strongly against depletable torps you'd have to keep buying at a starbase (or elsewhere, even if you could replicate them, it's annoying extra trouble).

Are you sure because when they make it it means Borg or other bad guys run out of torps as well, but don't wory I'l bet its to much work for them anyways...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    No let it be !!!
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    toiva wrote: »

Are you sure because when they make it it means Borg or other bad guys run out of torps as well, but don't wory I'l bet its to much work for them anyways...

Wait, you're saying NPCs would have limited amounts of torps as well? Now it's all getting a lot weirder...
    Post edited by toiva on
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Yes, they should get separate slots from energy based weapons. Even the cannons and beams should have separate slots. And mines should have separate slots too. I have already proposed that idea some time ago. A system would theoretically work like one in Starfleet Command 3. In that game, phasers and cannons are primary weapons, and torpedoes/mines are heavy weapons. While torpedoes would be better against shields, torpedoes would still do heavy damage to both shields and hull.

This is how it looks like: http://sg.hu/kep/2002_11/1105starfleet3.jpg

About number of slots, here's what I think that would be good:

T1 ships - 2 cannon slots or 2 beam slots (or one of each) + 1 forward torpedo slot and 1 aft torpedo or mine slot
    T2 ships - 3 cannon slots or 3 beam slots (or combinations) + 2 forward torpedo slots and 1 aft torpedo or mine slot
    T3 ships - 4 cannon or beam slots (and combinations of course) + 2 forward and 2 aft torpedo or mine slots
    T4 ships - 5 cannon or beam slots (or combinations ofc) + 3 forward and 2 aft torpedo or mine slots
    T5 ships - 6 cannon or beam slots (or combinations) + 3 forward and 3 aft or 4 forward and 2 aft torpedo or mine slots
    T5-U ships - 7 cannon or beam slots (with possible combinations too) + 4 foward and 3 aft, or 5 forward and 2 aft torpedo or mine slots
    T6 ships - 8 cannon or beam slots (also with possible combinations) + 5 foward and 3 aft, or 4 forward and 4 aft, or even 6 forward and two aft torpedo or mine slots.

And the second layout could be simply this: Number of beam weapons is actually based on the real number of arrays/banks on ship (for example: Sovereign has 16 arrays, so she would have 16 beam slots, Defiant has four cannons so she would have 4 cannon slots). Number of torpedo launchers and/or mine layers is based on the real number of them on specific vessel (for example: Galaxy has 2 torpedo launchers so she would have 2 torpedo slots and probably 1 mine layer slot).
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    tomaswille wrote: »
    There are more torpedo bays. Not just one. So then you will have to decide which ships allows to have more torpedo bays for the sake of "realism".

I am pretty sure that is the Akira. It has, what was it, fifteen torpedo launchers?

They should grant hulls an innate resistance to energy weapons like shields have for torpedoes and increase torpedo speed. That's pretty much all changes they'd need to make.

Yes, yes, they should. Energy weapons are shown to leave burn marks on hulls whereas torpedoes have been seen to punch clear through a ship and out of the other side. Of course, torpedoes should have a minimum firing distance, too. Perhaps make them the opposite of cannons?
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    No let it be !!!
    e30ernest wrote: »
    Separating torp slots won't improve torps at all. All you will be doing is limit possible builds.

^^ This. I honestly don't see any advantage to doing this... unless the torp slots are extra, of course. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    Yes, they should get separate slots from energy based weapons. Even the cannons and beams should have separate slots. And mines should have separate slots too. I have already proposed that idea some time ago. A system would theoretically work like one in Starfleet Command 3. In that game, phasers and cannons are primary weapons, and torpedoes/mines are heavy weapons. While torpedoes would be better against shields, torpedoes would still do heavy damage to both shields and hull.

This is how it looks like: http://sg.hu/kep/2002_11/1105starfleet3.jpg

About number of slots, here's what I think that would be good:

T1 ships - 2 cannon slots or 2 beam slots (or one of each) + 1 forward torpedo slot and 1 aft torpedo or mine slot
    T2 ships - 3 cannon slots or 3 beam slots (or combinations) + 2 forward torpedo slots and 1 aft torpedo or mine slot
    T3 ships - 4 cannon or beam slots (and combinations of course) + 2 forward and 2 aft torpedo or mine slots
    T4 ships - 5 cannon or beam slots (or combinations ofc) + 3 forward and 2 aft torpedo or mine slots
    T5 ships - 6 cannon or beam slots (or combinations) + 3 forward and 3 aft or 4 forward and 2 aft torpedo or mine slots
    T5-U ships - 7 cannon or beam slots (with possible combinations too) + 4 foward and 3 aft, or 5 forward and 2 aft torpedo or mine slots
    T6 ships - 8 cannon or beam slots (also with possible combinations) + 5 foward and 3 aft, or 4 forward and 4 aft, or even 6 forward and two aft torpedo or mine slots.

And the second layout could be simply this: Number of beam weapons is actually based on the real number of arrays/banks on ship (for example: Sovereign has 16 arrays, so she would have 16 beam slots, Defiant has four cannons so she would have 4 cannon slots). Number of torpedo launchers and/or mine layers is based on the real number of them on specific vessel (for example: Galaxy has 2 torpedo launchers so she would have 2 torpedo slots and probably 1 mine layer slot).

I agree with you 100% and they follow the Starfleet Command game in STO so why not using this system either. Because it is a good and clear system witch you could push back powercreep even better.
    Because if your Warpcore doesn't have the power you can't run that console or spec weapon.
    As I remember the layout correctly and thats what I loved about Starfleet Command series....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    jslyn wrote: »
    tomaswille wrote: »
    There are more torpedo bays. Not just one. So then you will have to decide which ships allows to have more torpedo bays for the sake of "realism".

I am pretty sure that is the Akira. It has, what was it, fifteen torpedo launchers?

They should grant hulls an innate resistance to energy weapons like shields have for torpedoes and increase torpedo speed. That's pretty much all changes they'd need to make.

Yes, yes, they should. Energy weapons are shown to leave burn marks on hulls whereas torpedoes have been seen to punch clear through a ship and out of the other side. Of course, torpedoes should have a minimum firing distance, too. Perhaps make them the opposite of cannons?

Watch this :

Arrangement: Three fixed-focus torpedo launchers, one located just above the main deflector dish and another at the bow of the primary hull along with a third launcher within the main sail. These launchers are the second generation of automated, high-speed launchers originally developed and found on the New Orleans and Saber Class (and later seen aboard Excelsior Class Starships as part of their refit schedule) starships and each launcher is armed with 5 tubes per launcher, giving the Akira Class the ability to launch up to fifteen torpedoes in a single salvo. The third generation of this launcher has seen deployment aboard the Sovereign Class and Norway Class.

Type: Mark XXV photon torpedo, capable of pattern firing (sierra, etc.) as well as independent launch. Independent targeting once launched from the ship, detonation on contact unless otherwise directed by the Chief Tactical Officer or TIC Weapons Officer.

Payload: The ship can carry a maximum of 375 torpedoes.

Range: Maximum effective range is 3,000,000 kilometers.

Primary purpose: Assault

Secondary purpose: Anti-spacecraft
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited July 2015
    No let it be !!!
    Since y'all are pushing for accuracy, while you're at it, why not make your ships burn through dilithium while you fly it too. The faster and the longer you keep your ship at full throttle, the more dilithium it burns. If you run out of dilithium, you're dead in space with no weapons and shields. Then limit the amount of dilithium you can refine and carry. You'll need to travel to a space station or inhabited planet to resupply (from your banked dil).
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    They should have been so from the beginning (Eve Online has a "hardpoint" system that should have been implemented in STO as well). Now it's hard to pull this without upsetting a huge amount of people.

I think the best course as is would be introducing more consoles and powers with "split effect" (the resonance one that gives bonus to disruptors AND transphasic torps is a good start, pity you can use only one). We need boff powers that combine torpedo and beam/cannon skills as well (i.e. one that combines high yield torpedo and beam overload, or torpedo spread and cannon scatter), things that make split builds viable.
    ryuga81.png
  • Options
    No let it be !!!
    That might be the way we'll eventually go. The new science consoles also have a "split effect", boosting 2 different kinds of science stats.

While I am unhappy with power creep as well, I do not think Cryptic will do anything against that since their main source of income seems to be selling power creep. Given that, I think the community's focus should be to find ways to improve underutilized game mechanics rather than forcing a certain gameplay style to an already well established game mechanic.

Being a torpedo user myself, I too want torpedoes to improve. However, this is not the right way to do it IMO.