test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Vanilla Forum Migration

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
Hey everyone,

So a while back we were discussing moving over to the Vanilla forums. After looking at the migration carefully, discussing it with the team, we wanted to make some changes to the forums before we felt like we could move over. We've decided to make some significant changes to the back-end and feel that we are now ready to start the migration process.

You can find more about it here.

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    mmm vanilla
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Still don't see an area where I can see "Latest Posts" from a single game.

This is a major deal breaker for me on the new forums.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    waaaa!!! i don't want to play with the other nerds!

Non-star trek nerds are smelly
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Thank you! While these forums are OK there was a lot of room for improvement. Looking forward to the new forum software.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    edited June 2015

That may be, but play nice on the playground, Deaftravis.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    LT, has the post length issue been addressed so it is now comparable to what we currently have? This is both to prevent migration problems, and ensure that people can keep posting as they have been, such as not having to break up a player guide, tutorial, fanfic, or other long post into like 20 separate back-to-back posts to do what we can do here in one.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

You can actually hover your mouse over the forums you don't want to see, click on the faint little gear that appears, and hit "hide," if you find the other sections are cluttering your screen and you know you will never use them.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    as long as the dev tracker can still talk nice with it, thats all I worry about :)
    oh and the preservation of possibly outmoded informational stickies :)
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The link in your post to the signature thing, when I follow that link I just get a black page with the Arc bar at the top, then the page's footer (about us / terms of service / privacy policy / etc), but nothing in between. Something else I need to enable in noscript besides Vanilla to see? Also, will I still be able to run with signatures turned off?
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    I have a question.

So there's some truely wonderful posts like this one or this one or this one that are simply full of invaluable information. Will those links still work after the migration?

Because I know from the last migration, a lot of links like say this one no longer work - admittedly, that was a website migration, not a forum migration, but an important question nevertheless, I feel.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    LT, has the post length issue been addressed so it is now comparable to what we currently have? This is both to prevent migration problems, and ensure that people can keep posting as they have been, such as not having to break up a player guide, tutorial, fanfic, or other long post into like 20 separate back-to-back posts to do what we can do here in one.

I just tested. The limit over there has not been changed from the current 12k characters.
    :(
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Will this be like the web site migration? With that one, all previousy accessible information got lost (like the original blog about the New Avenger), replaced with a pop-up that says:
    Get all the latest news, updates and content for Star Trek Online on the new Arc Games Platform.

You will be redirected to Arc Games in 0 seconds

Go to Arc Games

Learn more about Arc

Join the world's largest free to-play community with the powerful Arc gaming platform.
    •Seamlessly install, update and launch your favorite games
    •Stay connected with friends and guildmates
    •Access the web while in-game with a lightning fast web browser

There's some useful information here, some in the guides and some from dev interaction with the community (and some in the Gameplay Bug Reports section)... losing that is so very much not worth migrating to a consolidated Arc forum when I fully intend to ignore everything unrelated to STO. I will specifically favorite a link that takes me to the STO section, just to avoid the rest of the things I don't care about in the first place. :P

Also, looking at the old website behind that pop-up... I really miss the cleaner look of the old website. You aren't going to tile the forums are you?

Wait... we can use gifs? Aha! I see the truth now, it's all being done so you can finally spin your leek! :eek:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Yeah, we checked and there's functionality to change the limitations with post lengths. :)
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Forums are now going to be shared with other arc games. One step closer to making arc required. Ugh.

And why am I 90% sure this is going to either completely remove the dev tracker or make it so we have to go through the dev posts for every game to get what we want?
  • Options
    draogndraogn Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Those 'new' forums still look horrible. They look disorganized, and boring.

This new portal is still not going to get me to play PW's other games.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited June 2015
    Hey, Trendy... will bug reporting be changed/improved upon on this new forum?

Like, will we have to go through a different process posting bug reports?
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    And here I was secretly hoping this migration idea was abandonned.

Umm..., what about searches and devtracker? I still can't find anything like it on the Arc forums.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Can we get an "in before lock" or "can I has your stuff" auto-text message?
    Typing that stuff out all day long must be exhausting.

Even a "Doom" emoticon would solve a lot of needless keyboard usage
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!

:D

:rolleyes:

So yeah, will there be a Dev Tracker and "New Posts" links like there are now (those are generall how I find things to read 'round here)?

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, we checked and there's functionality to change the limitations with post lengths. :)

Oh...maybe it's not in effect yet? As of 1 CDT it looks like the post length is still 12000 characters. I'm going to do my own test this evening but someone's got a test over in the Suggestions forum showing that.

• Options
    mondoidmondoid Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I think they're gonna use this:

http://vanillaforums.com/

Will we be able to post videos and pic on the forums then?
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Migration to another forum...
    doesn't help in making STO more appealing to me (other games there even less). Not that i am overly hyped at the moment anyways.

Do we keep our posting counts?
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So does our join date (Originally December 2009 here) go to June 2015?
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited June 2015
    I said it before, I'll say it again...

I don't like vanilla.... I like Chocolate... :D

In all seriousness, kool beanz... hopefully nothing goes down the drain with this :crosses fingers:...

P.S. Trendy did you get my forum message??? :D
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    mondoid wrote: »
    I think they're gonna use this:

http://vanillaforums.com/

Will we be able to post videos and pic on the forums then?

We found so many exploits and bad stuff when they first announced the migration that they removed the post formatting controls. Now you either post everything as plain text, or figure out how to edit the DOM to allow you to use bbcode. Unless they change that soon, expect all new posts to look ugly, and probably not have any pics or videos.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    We found so many exploits and bad stuff when they first announced the migration that they removed the post formatting controls. Now you either post everything as plain text, or figure out how to edit the DOM to allow you to use bbcode. Unless they change that soon, expect all new posts to look ugly, and probably not have any pics or videos.

This is why I am hoping there is a final quality pass still to come down over there, that will restore the correct level of functionality--enough to actually match the function of these boards, not enough to allow exploits. Not sure yet.

• Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I made a not great post. :(
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    cuatelacuatela Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited June 2015

For being so overpriced, I'd expect that software to be relatively free from exploits. So much for getting what you pay for.

• Options
    mondoidmondoid Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Are you a MOD?
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,004 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Needs more customization, more color options ... black and dark grey sooooo bland. wallpapers either preset ones or ability to turn player own screen shots into wallpapers.

A filter option might be a nice idea, so that the player only sees what they want to see.

But i'm sure over time tweaks and changes will be brought in.

Good luck with the migration though :)
This discussion has been closed.