Options

Vanilla Forum Migration

Comments

• Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    mondoid wrote: »
    Are you a MOD?

Nope, I'm just a regular player like the rest of you, but I went to check out those forums when the migration was first announced. A lot of stuff in the testing thread has been cleaned up, but some of the problems still remain: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/7895/testing-bug-hunting-and-finding-exploits/p1. Trendy seems to be working hard at it, so I'm hoping it looks better on Monday.
    :)
  • Options
    jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    Nope, I'm just a regular player like the rest of you, but I went to check out those forums when the migration was first announced. A lot of stuff in the testing thread has been cleaned up, but some of the problems still remain: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/7895/testing-bug-hunting-and-finding-exploits/p1. Trendy seems to be working hard at it, so I'm hoping it looks better on Monday.

I'm finding it hard (as in I can't do it) to add my signature there, did you do something strange to put yours in?
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I don't like that *snorts* ...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm finding it hard (as in I can't do it) to add my signature there, did you do something strange to put yours in?

Changes seem to be going on over there as I post to enable more functionality. Haven't tried to edit my sig yet, but that could be addressed soon if it hasn't already...

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Yeah -- I just posted in the post there. :)
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I just tested. The limit over there has not been changed from the current 12k characters.
    :(

Well then ... , we're ready to go !

... and when we say "it's good 4 you" , we mean "it's good 4 us" ...

- PW
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Aelfwin, more changes have happened since dabelgrave's posts--as in, increased functionality. I need to try the character limit test again when I get somewhere where I have access to my fanfic (a quick way to really push the character limit) and see if that is still true or not.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Aelfwin, more changes have happened since dabelgrave's posts--as in, increased functionality.

Read the OP again .
    It can be summed up with "we've made changes and we're ready !"

Then the fans chime in .
    Then it turns out they're not ready (again) .

So not ready in fact that dabelgrave continues to chime in with hopes that they'll be "burning the midnight oil" :
    A lot of stuff in the testing thread has been cleaned up, but some of the problems still remain: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/7895/testing-bug-hunting-and-finding-exploits/p1. Trendy seems to be working hard at it, so I'm hoping it looks better on Monday.

So yeah ... , they're ready .

... as am I ... , to thanks the stars once more that these ppl don't work at any place where life & death decisions are made ...
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2015
    Hey everyone,

So a while back we were discussing moving over to the Vanilla forums. After looking at the migration carefully, discussing it with the team, we wanted to make some changes to the forums before we felt like we could move over. We've decided to make some significant changes to the back-end and feel that we are now ready to start the migration process.

You can find more about it here.

~LaughingTrendy

But I wanted CHOCOLATE Forums!

/em armfold
    /em pout
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »

/em armfold
    /em pout

I agree, chocolate > vanilla, forums officially RUINED!

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »

/em armfold
    /em pout

Well i guess thats settled! Pistachio it is!
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Cool, this will be good.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Unfortunately the character count test still fails, and remains at 12,000. I hope to see that addressed before D-Day or depending on how the migration software works, there could be trouble.

• Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    This won't go well.

/realism
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    mondoid wrote: »
    I think they're gonna use this:

http://vanillaforums.com/

Will we be able to post videos and pic on the forums then?

It seems the answer is yes. You'll have to scroll down in the thread but someone had embedded a Youtube video in their post as a test to see if the feature worked. Animated avatars and signature pics (I think they're called 'GIFs') are allowed also. :)

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/7895/testing-bug-hunting-and-finding-exploits#latest

I'd give you a direct link to the post but posts aren't numbered like on the STO forums and there seems to be no permalink feature of any kind. I can't seem to find a way to get a link for an individual post, so the best I can do is post a link to the thread page and tell someone to play a game of go fish. :(
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm too old for change...

Took me two weeks to figure out the last changes...

<grumble..., grumble..., grumble...>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Someone JUST figured out how to get a direct link to a post in the new forums. Tap/click the time and date of the post, and it will give you one. Try that and see if it helps.

• Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Unfortunately the character count test still fails, and remains at 12,000. I hope to see that addressed before D-Day or depending on how the migration software works, there could be trouble.
    How much would you like it to be?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    One think I want to point out... Any user can disable ALL Signatures, with the Check of a Box.

To put it another way... I can Check a Box in my Settings page which will Hide Everyones Signatures from my View. They will still be there on the Server... I just won't have to see them :)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    On character limits--If it were in my hands, I would match the setting to the current forum, since it has worked without trouble for all this time. I have not figured out what that upper limit is here though, or if one even exists.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    primar13 wrote: »
    One think I want to point out... Any user can disable ALL Signatures, with the Check of a Box.

To put it another way... I can Check a Box in my Settings page which will Hide Everyones Signatures from my View. They will still be there on the Server... I just won't have to see them :)

Also if you have an ad blocker on your browser, if one particular graphic has something that bothers you (let's say, an animation that hurts your eyes), you can right click on it and use the adblock functions to blacklist just that one graphic.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    On character limits--If it were in my hands, I would match the setting to the current forum, since it has worked without trouble for all this time. I have not figured out what that upper limit is here though, or if one even exists.
    Hmmm, ok. I doubled the character limit.

/cool_sunglasses
  • Options
    edited June 2015

/cool_sunglasses

Hmm...what will happen when the posts well over that limit (and I think there are still some) try to import into the new forum? I suspect they could either truncate or jack up the database.

• Options
    edited June 2015

/cool_sunglasses

Sounds good to me... Any more than that and you are likely to get the 10 Page Russian TRIBBLE Advertisement by Bots, that my forum is plagued with...

hahaha... Not Joking though... it's happened a few times...
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Wow. I strongly suspect our vBulletin forum has an unlimited character limit, but we have not had that issue. :eek:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Hmm...what will happen when the posts well over that limit (and I think there are still some) try to import into the new forum? I suspect they could either truncate or jack up the database.

Naw, it's fine. The migration status from what I've been told will move things over from posts. The capacity to set new post limits is defined, but previous posts will maintain prior functionality of character limits. Ergo if I suddenly set post limits to 50 characters all of a sudden, previous posts wouldn't be reduced to 50 characters. They'd have their previous post content.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    primar13 wrote: »
    Sounds good to me... Any more than that and you are likely to get the 10 Page Russian TRIBBLE Advertisement by Bots, that my forum is plagued with...

hahaha... Not Joking though... it's happened a few times...
    Stop trying to trick me into making silly posts, Primar.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    (FYI sorry I posted stuff and kinda went off radar for a bit - my team went to see Jurassic World. Spoiler warning: dinosaurs happened.)
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Someone JUST figured out how to get a direct link to a post in the new forums. Tap/click the time and date of the post, and it will give you one. Try that and see if it helps.

Yeah. I saw someone had responded to me over there. It works just fine. :)

Arc forums has a nice selection of emoji.
This discussion has been closed.