test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cleaning house w/ pants, belts, & footwear

crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
After all the years of assets in STO, you may have noticed issues with organization, clipping, assets almost randomly working for one species, but not another, and so on...

There are easily 100+ clipping bugs alone. We've done some work to improve issues by adjusting the geometry of many assets. But a big chunk of the problem is due to improper categorization.

So coming soon you'll start seeing our efforts to continually improve not only the way the game looks, but also how you as players interact and use it.

First is a big pass on the footwear and belts with many revised names and alphabetical sorting, and proper category and faction settings. A similar pass is getting addressed for the uniform lower (pants, skirts, etc)

This *might* cause some existing costumes to need a "refresh" to re-validate assets. For example, you may find that any puffy, tucked pants will no longer also be found in the "Pants - Tight" category. Makes sense, right?

We're trying really hard to make sure you can still make the costumes you want though - again, the categories should just be more logical.

Annnnnddd....we're also trying really hard to address the many requests we've had to actually unlock certain parts to species/factions as appropriate as well as free up more items between uniform and off-duty.

There might be a hiccup or two because this is such a big undertaking with so many linked parts, but we think the end result will be worth it for everyone.

So as it comes in - keep your eyes open and let us know (constructively, please) if you spot major issues. We're excited about this "little" clean-up and we hope it makes you guys happy too.
Post edited by crypticjoejing on

Comments

• Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited June 2015
    We're trying really hard to make sure you can still make the costumes you want though - again, the categories should just be more logical.

Annnnnddd....we're also trying really hard to address the many requests we've had to actually unlock certain parts to species/factions as appropriate as well as free up more items between uniform and off-duty.

If this means that Romulan characters will have fuller access to the Tal Shiar uniform set (even just giving the belt to the males, and the chest piece to the females)... oh, man! :D

Space Barbie!
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Good on ya, guys. I eagerly await a Trendy Approved blog about this when first round is near-or-at ready to launch!
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited June 2015
    Would it be possible to simply eliminate off-duty as a separate category. Or, alternatively, allow bridge officers to use off-duty costumes. I know I run into things sometimes where I'd like to use off-duty costumes or costume pieces on bridge officers and can't.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    e1ime1im Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Currently, Vaadvaur coats are not available as an "Off-duty" asset. They used to be though. I wonder if this is a result of the categorization.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    This great news! Please keep us posted when these sort of changes go live (and/or to Tribble) so we can provide feedback.

You know I'll be watching!

:cool:

Edit:

CrypticJoeJing,

No pressure, but do you have any idea when the Klingon Revamp you posted about will go live?
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1445201
    (I'm still looking forward to my sheathed D’k Tahg.)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    This *might* cause some existing costumes to need a "refresh" to re-validate assets. For example, you may find that any puffy, tucked pants will no longer also be found in the "Pants - Tight" category. Makes sense, right?

will this cause existing, unedited outfits to break, requiring them to be edited?
    i hope not, because 'legacy outfits' (old-school gorn, edited potatoman boffs, etc) cannot be edited without breaking them.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Excellent news, JoeJing! I assume this is already underway, since I've noticed a handful of items have changed category recently, and a few slipped into off duty that weren't there before. Hope to see more soon. :)
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    After all the years of assets in STO, you may have noticed issues with organization, clipping, assets almost randomly working for one species, but not another, and so on...

There are easily 100+ clipping bugs alone. We've done some work to improve issues by adjusting the geometry of many assets. But a big chunk of the problem is due to improper categorization.

So coming soon you'll start seeing our efforts to continually improve not only the way the game looks, but also how you as players interact and use it.

First is a big pass on the footwear and belts with many revised names and alphabetical sorting, and proper category and faction settings. A similar pass is getting addressed for the uniform lower (pants, skirts, etc)

There might be a hiccup or two because this is such a big undertaking with so many linked parts, but we think the end result will be worth it for everyone.

So as it comes in - keep your eyes open and let us know (constructively, please) if you spot major issues. We're excited about this "little" clean-up and we hope it makes you guys happy too.

I hope you introduce a freebie Admiral Jacket like the one the vets get and you have dressed every Admiral Npc in as I would love to be able to dress my Admirals in there correct uniforms.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Excellent news, JoeJing! I assume this is already underway, since I've noticed a handful of items have changed category recently, and a few slipped into off duty that weren't there before. Hope to see more soon. :)

:) It started with some simple bug fixes - probably what you're seeing. As we dug in the real issues got brought up and we decided to open it up and try and fix it right.

You shouldn't see things unlocked that don't seem appropriate for Star Trek species/factions. Like "bare legs w/ loincloth" will only be for Orion females.

But I do hope we managed to unlock a few things (maybe quite a few) that make sense and offer you guys more options. It's hard to tell as it was little tweak after little tweak and there are so many species/factions and item unlocks. Ultimately, it will probably depend player to player - which species, which faction, and how much you've unlocked and bought.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    I hope you introduce a freebie Admiral Jacket like the one the vets get and you have dressed every Admiral Npc in as I would love to be able to dress my Admirals in there correct uniforms.

This pass is only focused on the lower uniform components atm.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited June 2015

that's a shame but that's cool also mainly down to things like TNG bottoms not matching or fitting with the First Contact/DS9 (season 5 onwards) uniforms which drive me nuts trying to blend them to the tops.

and tbh any touch ups etc are so welcome it's a nice thing to see. :-)

Thank you
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Thank you for this. I was delighted with the shoe/boots updates. No more Kingdom Hearts Effect for my KDF warriors is greatly appreciated.

Thank you also for communicating this on these forums. I sometimes think the forums get treated like an illegitimate red headed stepchild when it comes to game announcements. Some of us are not Twitter or Reddit compatible.

Thank you also for noticing this stuff and just fixing it. Without fanfare or drama or hype. Keep it up. The biggest drawback to this game are all the Quality of Life issues which appear and seem to hang around forever. One or two of them appearing is an irritant. The Golden Horde of QofA issues now affecting game play is nearly fatal when it comes to whether or not i want to log in and play.

You can't fix everything all at once. I get that. But doing thing like you've just posted about goes a long way towards indicating to me some of the Dev Team shares the passion and enthusiasm I have had my whole life about all things Star Trek.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I don't know if this would fall under a "bug" or a "request", but...

At the time when the TMP outfits were first introduced (and I bought the set), I could use the TMP footwear on Females (in this case, Betazoid (F, Main) and Pakled (F, BOffs)) in the Skirts option. After a certain amount of time, I found that using the TMP footwear /Skirts wasn't allowed. Is this something that can be looked at?

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Here's your chance to move Mercenary pieces out of Off-Duty
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    yes? Yes? Yes as in really yes? like "Oh Hhh..aa, YA!" yes?

Like...

YES!

I know it'll uncover other bugs. Shag 'em Shoot 'em. Edit 'em into non entities. Do rude things to this bad naughty code.

And thing to add to the todo list.. Baseball caps.. Honestly should have a new category, wearable with other head ornament items, and a dealers/golf/tennis brim for those with extensive cranial regions,,I do not want to be fitting Jem Hadar for hats...

Thanks for the word. And I am so sure that you gonna be busy for awhile! A really long while on this one. 5 plus years of accumulated code. More like 6.5-7 I'm guessing. I know its going to take a bit of time plowing through it all, sorting out, etc. It'll work so much faster when its done on both ends.

And I wonder... Could this data shuffling on the part of client perhaps the "Risa Lag Bug" bandit?

Need a hammer?
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    x3of9x3of9 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2015

When you get to the uppers... it would be great to see comm-badges available in Off-Duty as has been seen numerous times in canon. ;)
    U.S.S. Marathon - NX-92781
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Will these be included in the patch notes as they come out? I'd very much like to know when I may need to make changes in advance rather than tripping over it.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The "quality pass" on some clipping issues is great news, and I'm deeply grateful for what crypticjoejing and his gang have done already and that you guys "keep us in the loop".

Probably my one and only "dearest wish" is for a "Unified Colour Palette".

It really annoys me that I cannot for instance use "green" on any of my KDF toons. Or for that matter, on most of my "Romklink" clothing.

Or the fact that I cannot have the gorgeous Bright Scarlet shoulder pads, like the "costume dummy" wears on Qo'noS ... I'm not expecting that Fluorescent Green and Hot Pink like we have with the Swimsuit palette be added, but at least a full colour palette would be nice.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    bendalek wrote: »
    The "quality pass" on some clipping issues is great news, and I'm deeply grateful for what crypticjoejing and his gang have done already and that you guys "keep us in the loop".

It really annoys me that I cannot for instance use "green" on any of my KDF toons. Or for that matter, on most of my "Romklink" clothing.

Or the fact that I cannot have the gorgeous Bright Scarlet shoulder pads, like the "costume dummy" wears on Qo'noS ... I'm not expecting that Fluorescent Green and Hot Pink like we have with the Swimsuit palette be added, but at least a full colour palette would be nice.

the palette we can use on the voth uniform would be great. its similar to the typical kdf palette, but also has less muted variations on the usual colours... and includes green and purple!
  • Options
    rokegpierokegpie Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2015

While not a lower uniform component, I request female Slicked Back 5 hairstyle be accessible to aliens (and not just tellarites as it is currently).

On topic of lower uniform components, thigh-high boots for Orions in the bare legs category, as a notable dancing Orion NPC in DS9 seems to have it.
  • Options
    twelfthdrtwelfthdr Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    edit: found info, thanks.
    Post edited by twelfthdr on
  • Options
    millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    rokegpie wrote: »
    *snip*

On topic of lower uniform components, thigh-high boots for Orions in the bare legs category, as a notable dancing Orion NPC in DS9 seems to have it.

I'd actually like to see the thigh-high boots available for all KDF female characters, seeing as they're available for all Fed and Romulan faction female characters, as it is.

Additionally, I'd love to see the Seven of Nine boots, both variations, available for KDF and Romulan female characters (after being unlocked via purchase, presumably), as KDF female characters don't have that many variations of boots to work with that aren't all spikes and steel toes. My more fully-clothed Orion pirate would especially appreciate this.

Would like to see the Seven boots for Off-Duty as well.

Actually wouldn't mind seeing entire non-uniform-specific outfits we unlock/buy being available for KDF/Romulans on the whole, to help fill out the potential wardrobe, but those two sets of boots, Seven and the thigh-highs, should really see use on the KDF (and Romulan) faction.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to simply eliminate off-duty as a separate category. Or, alternatively, allow bridge officers to use off-duty costumes. I know I run into things sometimes where I'd like to use off-duty costumes or costume pieces on bridge officers and can't.

I agree. Or at least let some of the off-duty options be used with uniforms, like mercenary pieces as mentioned above by ursusmorologus. Those may not be "regulation," but at least some pieces certainly would fit with uniforms.

This may require some upper uniform component tweaking as well, in order to fix clipping issues. For example, a friend last night was working on a new uniform, and she chose the Yesterday's Enterprise belt, which clipped in the back with her top. That clipping issue may have more to do with the top than the belt, since it doesn't occur with every top.
    bendalek wrote: »

So much this.
    While not a lower uniform component, I request female Slicked Back 5 hairstyle be accessible to aliens (and not just tellarites as it is currently).

I'm all for more long hairstyle options for women; they are currently rather limited.

There are also Orions in "Night of the Comet" who wear thigh boots, and the Orion Admiral in the Captain's Table is certainly wearing thigh boots. I don't understand why they haven't been available for Orions all along.
    millybun wrote: »
    I'd actually like to see the thigh-high boots available for all KDF female characters, seeing as they're available for all Fed and Romulan faction female characters, as it is.

Additionally, I'd love to see the Seven of Nine boots, both variations, available for KDF and Romulan female characters (after being unlocked via purchase, presumably), as KDF female characters don't have that many variations of boots to work with that aren't all spikes and steel toes. My more fully-clothed Orion pirate would especially appreciate this.

Would like to see the Seven boots for Off-Duty as well.

Actually wouldn't mind seeing entire non-uniform-specific outfits we unlock/buy being available for KDF/Romulans on the whole, to help fill out the potential wardrobe, but those two sets of boots, Seven and the thigh-highs, should really see use on the KDF (and Romulan) faction.

Thigh boots are only available to Feds who have bought the TOS Mirror Uniform, and to Romulans who have the TOS Romulan uniform (or the Vet boots, which are also thigh boots, but a different style, available to Veterans and LTS). That said, I would absolutely pay for a new costume style for my Orions (and if I had any other KDF toons, for them as well) which allowed the use of those TOS Mirror/Romulan thigh boots.

And yes, I absolutely love the Seven of Nine Tall Boots, which are one of the very few styles of footwear in-game that have any sort of heel. I would love to be able to use these not only on my Vulcan and Fed Alien, but also on my Romulans and Orions.

The TOS Romulan/Mirror thigh boots and both styles of 7 of 9 boots would be welcome additions for all factions that do not currently have access to them, and yes, they're C-store purchases for those who can use them (*cough Feds cough*), so I would not object to their being C-store purchases for RRF and KDF as well. And I agree that these could and should be made available for off-duty wear as well.

(For that matter, when you get around to working on accessories, the creole [hoop] earrings would be a nice addition to RRF, who are currently the only people who can't use them. But what I really want, like REALLY CRAVE, is the ring and earrings worn by the Romulan Commander in "The Enterprise Incident," as well as, for that matter, her off-duty gown, her hairstyle, and her eyebrow shape.)
  • Options
    derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    :) It started with some simple bug fixes - probably what you're seeing. As we dug in the real issues got brought up and we decided to open it up and try and fix it right.

You shouldn't see things unlocked that don't seem appropriate for Star Trek species/factions. Like "bare legs w/ loincloth" will only be for Orion females.

But I do hope we managed to unlock a few things (maybe quite a few) that make sense and offer you guys more options. It's hard to tell as it was little tweak after little tweak and there are so many species/factions and item unlocks. Ultimately, it will probably depend player to player - which species, which faction, and how much you've unlocked and bought.

Is there a way to gain a costume DELETE button in character creator to make it much easier for us players who have so many costume slots. This is not deleting the slots but only the costume in those slots . I relize that we can modify which is good if changing small things but if large amount of options are to be changed a DELETE button would be so much easier . If u can please and Thank You.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Can we get a detailed list of the changes, or will the details be in the patch notes?

Also, about one and a half years ago, the textures of several pants were inexplicably changed from matte to glossy. I don't know whether this change was intentional or not, but it was never announced or mentioned in the patch notes. I'm also not sure why you didn't provide both a matte and a glossy option like some other outfit pieces have.

Holodeck ticket #2,146,791: Texture changes to pants

Also noted in the above bug report: Females no longer have a mid-ankle version of the pants "Panels and Pockets".

Lastly, I've always found it odd that female soft boots are called "Boots Soft", while male soft boots are called "Soft Boots". Is this inconsistent naming one of the things that will be addressed?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    But it still means "no swimwear" for normal Duty?

And (for the Orions) since they basically can wear a bikini without the loincloth please don't "censor" it by removing that option.

Any chance that Lobi Uniforms would be accountwide too in the future (probably not because of some "metrics") I would buy more of them in the future then

I also think there should be no restrictions between BOffs and Captains. formal Wear, Off-duty and all uniforms should be available for Boffs too.

And (sorry tbut i have to ask) if some parts are not suitable for Feds (given example. Loincloth) what should i do if i have some Traditional Ferengi Women on Board? You know what i mean.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I noticed that my Mara Jade@MustrumRidcully Trill female had some issues with various costume parts - suddenly the arms disappared, IIRC. Unfortunately can't get more specific right now. But that isn't a lower uniform part, so I don't know if it's completely unrelated...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited June 2015

But what if someone's Greek :D

Good to see, though one thing I'd like to add is that the Armour components, would it be possible to make them mix and match a bit more? For instance I like the webbing and grenades from the Omega set, but want to use them on the Kobali set for a combat Samurai look! That kind of thing :)
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited June 2015

KDF females don't have access to thigh high boots. What you saw was a user that had used a bug/glitch to outfit their character in pieces they weren't suppose to have. (I've actually seen a Federation Alien on Drozana once that was wearing the Orion bikini parts)

There are only 2 versions of thigh high boots available to female players currently:

Fed ToS mirror uniform boots
    Romulan ToS boots

Though it would be nice to open up these thigh high boots to KDF females, or at least give them a new version.

Edit: Forgot about the Dyson boots from the uniform you buy at your fleet spire that is available for both genders of all factions. There is also a female thigh high veteran boots for Romulan Republic characters.