Install Arc
Options

TRIBBLE Klingons

Comments

• Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    In fact, I think ere Romulan society would have a problem with it. Deviancy doesn't sit well with them. Look, for instance. at the way they reacted to LaForge's blindness ("And they let you live?!").

That question derives from that particular Romulan's worldview, which was the Way of D'Era (a religion started by Tellus, whose followers are called "Children of Ket-Cheleb," Ket-Cheleb being the old Vulcan god of war). Romulans have more than one worldview.

And as noted above, in Romulan language circles, there is a word for "homosexual" which is specifically noted as "not an insult." There is no Romulan language word for "homosexual" which is an insult.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    lol what relationship?

thats the dialogue. "mate" doesnt mean they are lesbians. could be friends or collegues too.

Yeah, except Star Trek is an American thing, and STO is made in America. We generally don't use "mate" in the States to refer to a "buddy."

I also think there's a difference in vocal inflexion when she says "mate" that makes it obvious that she doesn't mean "friend" or "colleague."
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    fovrel wrote: »
    Anyway, we are 400 ahead of our time in Startrek, perhaps homosexuality does not longer exist. Knowledge of the human body and mind is that far that people kan choose what they are and what they want. It is short sighted to put nowadays things into another universe or culture, more even if it also a complete other time, be it past or future.

This suggestion was put forth in the other thread as well. What I find curious is why anyone would assume that homosexuality is something which we ought to somehow free ourselves from. It's not a birth defect or disease. It's just a way of being. Yes, orientation is inborn, but so is red hair color, blue eye color, and so many other things which are not "deviation" but rather "diversity."

Guess what Gene Roddenberry said about diversity. No? Okay, here's what he said:
    If man is to survive, he will have learned to take a delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a delight, part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Know what sums this whole thing up the best. In Star Trek 6 when spock and kirk are talking before the battle Kirk says "Spock you know what, everbody's human."

That line sums up everything about star trek.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Is this really an "issue" lol. Who cares about sexual orientation or whatever.. too each ones own! why all the fuss?
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    what is that word? and are that "circles" located on risa?

The word is kheis'he (obviously related to the Romulan word Heis'he, which means "love"). And no, I am referring to the communities across the internet who have developed Diane Duane's Rihan language to something more practical than the small vocabulary she created.
  • Options
    hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    talonxv wrote: »
    Know what sums this whole thing up the best. In Star Trek 6 when spock and kirk are talking before the battle Kirk says "Spock you know what, everbody's human."

That line sums up everything about star trek.

Kahless referred to himself as "one man" too!! how prophetic dontya think... and how terrible the script writing for this mission and the whole star trek universe. Sure to bring this up at a star trek convention in the near future.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Personally I feel it was rather forced. It was done in such a way that it feels the whole reason we went over to the Klingon ship was to meet some Klingon Lesbians.
    Erm, no. I'm quite sure that's just you and you should go see a doctor about that.
    Bacause thinking there's a consipracy out there telling stories with the sole purpose of forcibly exposing you to same-sex relationships is a sure sign of some underlying psychological issues on your end.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    Way out of proportion.
    • If you think it was out of place in the episode you are wrong, it's world building.
    • If you thought it was wrong for Klingons, back it up, Klingons are mainly based on Samurai, that's as close as your 'gunna get.
    • If you thought the episode was badly written, you are right, but not for the Klingon couple.
    • If you thought it came out of nowhere, you are wrong and never played 'Spin the Wheel'.
    • If you thought it was too stereotypical, you may have something, however they both seemed fairly 'butch' to me, that's just Klingons.
    • If you thought the Klngons were Australian, you may want to play with the sound on :P.
    • If in doubt if you think you sound bigoted, replace the word TRIBBLE with black and repeat the statement, if it seems like you end up with the word 'lifestyle' or 'community' there, rethink your views.

The episode had enough genuine problems without people getting their knickers in a twist about a few lines of dialogue that were nither here nor there compared to the stupidity of Kahless.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    I'm so glad STO has so few problems with it that we can devote so much player energy to the outrage over the sexual preference of NPCs, and the outrage over the players who outrage over it.

Truly, we have our priorities in order.

LOL… so much this
    P58WJe7.jpg

• Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    protogoth wrote: »
    This suggestion was put forth in the other thread as well. What I find curious is why anyone would assume that homosexuality is something which we ought to somehow free ourselves from. It's not a birth defect or disease. It's just a way of being. Yes, orientation is inborn, but so is red hair color, blue eye color, and so many other things which are not "deviation" but rather "diversity."

Guess what Gene Roddenberry said about diversity. No? Okay, here's what he said:

Thrue, it is a way of being, which one has to accept because it is inborn. Now what if we could free ourself of the things that are inborn. It looks to me as a better situation. Let's turn it arround. Suppose homosexuality is not inborn, but a choice. What is wrong with the fact that two people of the same sex choose to love each other and live together? What kind idea is it to qualify it as wrong or bad?

For me the answer is the fact that a homosexual couple cannot be reproductive, but is that really a problem for mankind? We should be fair of course hetero's keep the show running. If God did not create Eve, because Adam had a preference for males and gave him Bob, Adam and Bob would still be in the garden of Eden. We need Wilma to get to Buck Rogers.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    For me the answer is the fact that a homosexual couple cannot be reproductive, but is that really a problem for mankind?

No, we already suffer from near-crippling over-population. The reason homosexual behaviour exists in the first place has been speculated to being a natural population limiter.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For me the answer is the fact that a homosexual couple cannot be reproductive, but is that really a problem for mankind?

nope, a good thing, we will be 9 billions in 2050, inacceptable.
    homosexuality is not inborn

it is; kids are asexual. they learn/acquire a sexuality later; but true, homosexuality is not a choice, but a natural path for some persons.
    Adam and Bob would still be in the garden of Eden

a good thing, our specie wouldn't be destroying the beauty of this planet. please, religion must stay private, such as the sexual preference. some people are annoyed by homosexuality, others are annoyed by the religions
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    it is; kids are asexual. they learn/acquire a sexuality later; but true, homosexuality is not a choice, but a natural path for some persons.

No they aren't, they are born with their sexuality, they are unable to recognise it until much later though.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, except Star Trek is an American thing, and STO is made in America. We generally don't use "mate" in the States to refer to a "buddy."

I also think there's a difference in vocal inflexion when she says "mate" that makes it obvious that she doesn't mean "friend" or "colleague."

there's also the fact that to Klingons, the word "mate" means significant other to whom you are married

Worf and Jadzia were mates

Martok and Sirella were mates

there is actually not a single usage of the word "mate" in the context of Klingons who are friends or comrades :)
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    No they aren't, they are born with their sexuality,

nope, it is false. we are like the other mammals. a dog(male) becomes a male after a certain time. this dog is not born with a sexuality.

the sexuality begins with the production of hormones. the sexual preference is not innate. a dog can be also homosexual.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    nope, it is false. we are like the other mammals. a dog(male) becomes a male after a certain time. this dog is not born with a sexuality.

The dog becomes male before it's born, the sex is determined during foetal development.
    the sexuality begins with the production of hormones. the sexual preference is not innate. a dog can be also homosexual.

If that were the case than it would be impossible to feel a crush prior to the onset of the bulk of hormone development, as children can develop crushes prior to the onset of puberty, they are clearly born with a predetermined preference.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    edited May 2015

Science disagrees with everything you have said except that last bit "a dog can be also homosexual."

Chromosomes determine biological sex from conception. During gestation, the sexual organs begin to differentiate into male or female (usually, although there are exceptions), and are usually completely differentiated by the time of birth (again, there are exceptions).

Hormones are also introduced to the fetus in utero from the mother's body. In fact, one of the theories of Transsexuality is that the brain of the fetus receives hormones which are inconsistent with the chromosomal sex. This is more agreed upon than the cause, which may be due to several different factors (two theories are most widely accepted: one is trauma experienced by the mother around that time, the other is that the more children a woman has, the more likely her womb is to produce an estrogen wash of the fetal brain -- but this latter fails to account for Female to Male Transsexuals).
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    genetically, yes it is a male; sexually, it is not a male before the production of hormones and for the humans, the attraction to someone, or someone's picture (not TRIBBLE pictures, i mean in the subconscious).

there is a difference between the genome and the sexuality.
    In fact, one of the theories of Transsexuality is that the brain of the fetus receives hormones which are inconsistent with the chromosomal sex

yep, this seems ridiculous, because we (the males) are totally impregnated by estrogens during the gestation. not to be confused with hermaphroditism
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    genetically, yes it is a male; sexually, it is not a male before the production of hormones and for the humans, the attraction to someone, or someone's picture (not TRIBBLE pictures, i mean in the subconscious).

there is a difference between the genome and the sexuality.

yep, this seems ridiculous, because we (the males) are totally impregnated by estrogens during the gestation. not to be confused with hermaphroditism

Yes, there is a difference between the chromosomes and sexuality, and chromosomes are what determine biological sex. The ZYGOTE is ALREADY male or female or intersex, before it even becomes a fetus. Sexuality is not "male" and "female." It's Homosexual, Bisexual, Heterosexual, or Asexual. And it does not develop at puberty. Children as young as 4 and 5 have attraction to others.

Intersex (of which "hermaphrodite" is one type, and a term which is considered rude) is not the same thing as Transsexuality. And "impregnated" is not what happens. In gestation, the brain of the fetus receives a hormone wash from the mother's body (while the sex organs are still differentiating), and it doesn't always correspond with the chromosomal sex.

Honestly, get your hands on a biology textbook and read it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Books aren't canon. Just saying, not passing judgment of any kind.

Did you read what that was a reply to? The assertion that nothing of the sort had ever been before, and the mention of books was included. Whether they are canon or not is not the question. The assertion was that no such thing had ever been seen in any episode, movie, book, etc. The quote you replied to was pointing out that the assertion was wrong.
  • Options
    yandreyyandrey Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    risian4 wrote: »
    Equality, acceptance and emancipation are reached when people don't pay specific attention to someone's sexual preference.

And that's what happened in this episode IMO. They didn't pay too much attention to it. The Klingon that explained the mission just said something about one female Klingon and her 'mate'. The word 'TRIBBLE' wasn't even used. It was one line, indicating they're a couple. How else could he have said it? "Be careful, her sister is quite protective"? Clearly they're not sisters, they're a couple so it has to be mentioned once since you don't know these people.

If they hadn't mentioned it, you would have been facing the grumpy Klingon while you wanted to talk to the other one and they'd still have to mention it/explain the situation. Which would've meant that much more attention was paid to this non-issue.

As for the stereotype thing: they could've chosen two 'typically female lesbians' whatever that would've looked like, but then people would be complaining about that.

I feel they handled this well. It was mentioned once because you didn't know these people, no drama was involved, then you proceeded with the mission. That's the best way to deal with the issue of LGBT emancipation: do it subtle, don't give special attention to it if it has nothing to do with the story/situation/moment. Just like there would be no reason to mention several times that a male and a female Klingon are a couple, there wouldn't be any reason to do that when there's two lesbians involved. So they didn't. I say: well done Cryptic.

This. Let's just hope they don't ruin the subtlety in the next mission the house of Pegh is involved...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    I'm so glad STO has so few problems with it that we can devote so much player energy to the outrage over the sexual preference of NPCs, and the outrage over the players who outrage over it.

Truly, we have our priorities in order.

The OP dint really outrage about sexual preference. He did about the potrayal, which was really like a cliche ("there is always a man and a woman in a relationship, even in a homosexual one"). And that makes the effort a bit wasted.
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    simeion1 wrote: »
    While I understand where you are coming from, This is not acceptable actions to some parents. It should be them sitting them down and teaching them about life, equality, and diversity.

you are saying same gender relationships are not something that should be in game, as it isn't something you a want a child to know about before 'the' talk. Not sure about your children, but with my 2, those kind of talks happened when they asked questions about something they heard from someone or maybe saw something on tv, or in a movie. the inquisitive mind of a child has no set internal clock, it happens when it happens,

sex education is introduced at school surprising early these, as is social studies, the concept of same gender relationships are introduced on both topics. if you haven't discussed these things by age 12, even just a slight reference, they already know, and they are far less concerned about it than many of the posters on this topic over the past 2 days.

i find it funny that so many people are trying to use some external focus for what is ultimately their issue with this. i'm being asked to consider how some parents will find a single reference to TRIBBLE klingons unacceptable, yet i assume those same parents are totally ok with their child repeatedly killing aliens by the thousands, practically wiping out the species that is the Jem'Hadar, and now we are being confronted with an alien invasion force that looks like it could quite frankly destroy all that we know and love. and on top of that ESD CHAT.

if there are priorities to be looked at here.. the couple that love each other is the only nice, normal thing going on amidst a bit **** storm.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    i dont see any problem with klingon lesbians, yes they were didnt showed in str in tv and no mention how klingons are dealing with them, but hey writers didnt showed human/trill/ferengi..etc lesbians/gays too and how thier culture is dealing with them.
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    . If God did not create Eve, because Adam had a preference for males and gave him Bob, Adam and Bob would still be in the garden of Eden.

The Klingon gods tried something like that. It didn't work out very well for them. :P
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    "The Enterprise Incident" -- a female in command not of one ship, but several.

"Turnabout Intruder" -- a commentary on NBC's attitude toward the Number One you mentioned.

We also see women in Science roles, not telephone operators or secretaries. And Uhura was more than an operator; she was part of the bridge crew and interacted with the others considerably more than "Captain, incoming message." So it's not all women just filling traditional gender roles.

Uhura is essentially occupying the same post as Hoshi. This is not a secretary. She is responsible for understanding and transmitting information from hundreds or thousands of different species to the captain.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    The OP dint really outrage about sexual preference. He did about the potrayal, which was really like a cliche ("there is always a man and a woman in a relationship, even in a homosexual one"). And that makes the effort a bit wasted.

that isn't an inappropriate generalization, any relationship tends to contain a sharing of gender-type rolls. i know a fair few heterosexual couples where you can easily say that 'she wears the trousers'.

i think most people are focusing on the body language and dialogue as the game trying to define some stereotypical respective gender-type roles, but if you put 'outrage' aside and look at it as simply a klingon warrior and a scientist. one is battle hardened, the other spends much time in the lab. being told the scientist will be coming on this mission, suggests to me that she normally doesnt, queue a massive amount of extra anxiousness from her mate, as you would expect, she is used to working special ops while her partner is safe elsewhere. either way this a good healthy portrait of a couple in this situation.. their gender really doesn't make a difference.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Uhura is essentially occupying the same post as Hoshi. This is not a secretary. She is responsible for understanding and transmitting information from hundreds or thousands of different species to the captain.

And Star Trek was the first time a woman, and a black woman at that held such a role. Too bad the original exec for the Enterprise couldn't have made it into the show. Just to show women could hack the job.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
This discussion has been closed.