What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Kahless the Fool [House of Pegh]

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    you could try and disprove it if you have some proof to that point from the canon series. but i never saw a sharp bat'leth the entire time so thats a dead horse and all your doing is poking it. the only sharp things i saw were the mek'leth and the d'g'tagh.

I'm not trying to disprove anything, I know that the props were blunt, probably to not hurt anybody filming. But why would a bat'leth be blunt? It makes no sense, it's not like it's something akin to a gladius which probably was indeed blunt at the edges. The bat'leth is used in a slashing motion akin to "those backward curved swords" I forgot how they are called, like the ancient Thracians used. It has to be sharp to do anything.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd say the only true mistake 'the blundering overweight fool' made was to start pontificating about his soon-to-be victory, instead of just finishing the job. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    g0rb4gg0rb4g Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I'm not trying to disprove anything, I know that the props were blunt, probably to not hurt anybody filming. But why would a bat'leth be blunt? It makes no sense, it's not like it's something akin to a gladius which probably was indeed blunt at the edges. The bat'leth is used in a slashing motion akin to "those backward curved swords" I forgot how they are called, like the ancient Thracians used. It has to be sharp to do anything.

That would be the Rhomphaia. The Dacians also used something similar generally referred to as a Falx (latin word for sickle, I believe).

As to the topic of the thread, Kah'less... He died with honour, for his people and frankly I think that is what he was going for anyway.
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Kahless dies because in any Hero's Journey, Obi-Wan (so to speak) has to die. The Romulans have no such figure, and neither does the Federation. (Spock is dead. D'Tan doesn't qualify. Maybe Sisko can come back. Has anyone heard from Chekov lately?)

Kahless is now a martyr to the cause--and that makes him a rallying point. The Iconians may be decent tacticians, but they're crappy strategists. (Unless that bit about Kahless being transported out is more than just the game's way of moving the construct offstage, in which case they have a subject for study again. Sela first, Kahless second--who would be third? Our own good Captains/Admirals? That would be interesting.)

By the way, it's not "House of Pegh," it's "House Pegh." That's "Secret House." The ship that accompanies ours on the mission is the KDF Hegh -- KDF "Death." (Plot Telegraphy 101.)

I'd write more, but it's time to up anchor and head out to my son's highschool graduation. Film at eleven.

--jbm!
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    ^ This, seriously. I mean, don't talk, just DO IT! :P

I agree, kill it first, make sure it's dead, then move on, like this Check for a pulse.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    captrott1captrott1 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I agree it didnt make sense. We placed the charges around the Omega Generators. They were obviously able to be remotely detonated. Why werent they detonated. We stabilized the molecules in them.

And if the problem was that we didnt place the charges around this main generator, why didnt we go with him to the base of the generator to put the charges. Instead we went to the balcony to watch the fight. lol, we were just standing there instead of doing our task at hand.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    you could try and disprove it if you have some proof to that point from the canon series. but i never saw a sharp bat'leth the entire time so thats a dead horse and all your doing is poking it. the only sharp things i saw were the mek'leth and the d'g'tagh.

Then educate yourself dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7nT3oHp3xQ
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't get the point of the episode. Why is Khaless there in the first place? Why does he need to be in a covert information gathering and sabotage mission that gets aborted at the first sign of serious resistance? I don't mind how he died - but it is so pointless and poorly explained...
    As much as i understand, he was the leader of the whole undercover operation (at least Ramir says something like that before beaming down Kahless).

I share our opinion, that Episode felt just strange. Everything seems to be aimed that kahless gets into combat and dies. No one was questioning Kahless after he "decides" to go after the iconian.
    Do Klingons do covert operations always like that?

I can't get around by thinking the whole mission was just a plot to give Kahless a good Klingon-like "departure". But even that "loss" wasn't especially emotional imo. It could have been done much more dramatic and thrilling.

Another thing that bugs me is the iconians at that base. Didn't they notice that there are more than 10 Klingons/Starfleet/Romulans are running around killing their guards?
    Both infiltration teams wheren't very discreet in what they did, all seemed pretty amateurish tbh. Is that the best what KDF/FED/Rom have to offer? :confused:

IDK, but i expected more fomr the mission in general, especially since we had to wait a additional week for it.

valoreah wrote: »
    ^ This, seriously. I mean, don't talk, just DO IT! :P
    Lol, that's exactly what i was saying all the time!
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited May 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I'd say the only true mistake 'the blundering overweight fool' made was to start pontificating about his soon-to-be victory, instead of just finishing the job. :)

He's the DeSean Jackson of Star Trek Online. :P :D
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    captrott1 wrote: »
    And if the problem was that we didnt place the charges around this main generator, why didnt we go with him to the base of the generator to put the charges. Instead we went to the balcony to watch the fight. lol, we were just standing there instead of doing our task at hand.

I think the idea was that we chose to try and help Kahless fight *instead* of performing our missions. Wouldn't it have been great if... you know... we could have actually chosen to do that or not? It wouldn't be hard to have both decisions end up with the same result- although it would have taken more DEV work.

But real choice in an MMO isn't even worth an illusion anymore it seems.

As an aside, the writing quality of the game and even the blog posts (such as the Tales of War) have dropped from DR on. This adventure really highlighted that.
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    humm... ok, a couple points.. When Kahless's body disappears in the mission it frankly looks more like a transporter effect then a disintegration. I don't think he's dead.. I do belive him to be captive.
    I felt I saw the exploit visual effect, and I'm pretty sure he's dead.

This mission was nowhere near as good as Uneasy Alliances. Still, I found it more enjoyable than Blood of the Ancients or Delta Flight.

After finally getting my delta recruit to the delta arc, I've come to the conclusion that I am beyond bored of large or mid-sized space battles. Even when you're not facing off against an enemy fleet, you still fight upwards of a dozen+ ships. It's time consuming, repetitive, boring, and makes the interfleet battles that much less interesting, because everything feels like it's an interfleet battle.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I got in and played last night for the first time in weeks, specifically to try out this mission.

It was just...bad.

(Beware Spoilers)

1. The whole Klingon spies thing wasn't working for me. Furthermore, why oh why did you put the Klingons in the Intelligence outfit? It looked utterly ridiculous. I was not a fan.

2. That moment on the ship where Cryptic decided to make a social statement. The people who succeed at making that statement, are the ones who do so without drawing attention to it. (Kudos to "The Flash" and "Arrow" for how smoothly they have handled it) The writers at Cryptic could use a few lessons on tact.

3. We're gonna explode the Omega Generators? No, we're gonna stabilize the molecule, and then DESTABILIZE IT IN AN EXPLOSION! Seems utterly redundant to bother stabilizing it if you're just gonna blow it up, thereby making it unstable once again. Oh, and when did we miraculously learn Omega Stabilization? Pretty sure Seven of Nine established (with Janeway) that true stabilization could never be achieved in something so randomly chaotic.

4. Hello, my name is Admiral Mary Sue. I'm hanging out with Kahless! /facepalm

5. If you are going to kill a Legendary, Iconic character, it needs to be done in a truly epic manner. Everyone knew as soon as Kahless said he was going to go fight T'ket that Kahless was done for. And don't get me started on how mischaracterized Kahless was. I find it completely unbelievable that he'd simply run off to do battle with an Iconian with so many people telling him it was an incredibly dumb idea. And the whole thing was a big giant waste. Let's try not to wantonly throw away anymore iconic characters, eh?

6. Redundant Battle is Redundant. What was the point of the whole get to a safe place to transmit, when you couldn't actually transmit until the battle was finished, at which point you simply leave the system. Why would you hang around to send a transmission, when you have a clear avenue of escape? At that point, forget the transmission and proceed to Earth Spacedock / Qo'nos / Mol'rihan at MAXIMUM WARP!!!!

Yeah. It was just bad.

/shakehead

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    2. That moment on the ship where Cryptic decided to make a social statement. The people who succeed at making that statement, are the ones who do so without drawing attention to it. (Kudos to "The Flash" and "Arrow" for how smoothly they have handled it) The writers at Cryptic could use a few lessons on tact.
    I tend to skip through written dialogue. What sort of social statement did they attempt to make?
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I tend to skip through written dialogue. What sort of social statement did they attempt to make?

It was an LGBT thing. Done in such a way as if they put flashing lights, loud sirens and big arrows around it saying "Hey look at what we did!"

Which brings me to my kudos for "The Flash" and "Arrow" as they did something similar, but it was done so nonchalant and smooth that it simply felt normal and not as if done to make a statement.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015

TRIBBLE people were mentioned as existing.

This is a social statement to some (extremely sheltered) people.
  • Options
    ynrocjdynrocjd Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    [...] With not much more than a Bat'leth and balls he got all the way into Iconian territory, challenged one of those spooky four-eyes to direct combat [...]

uhm.. well..

http://abload.de/img/foureyes5uq6o.jpg
  • Options
    hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    1. Kahless the careless refers to himself as one "man"
    2. One on one fight he gets help from left field with the omega Ray cheat.
    3. He talked too much before final blow giving time for tket to stab him in the back.
    4. Should have carried disruptor pulse weave rifle
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited May 2015

After finally getting my delta recruit to the delta arc, I've come to the conclusion that I am beyond bored of large or mid-sized space battles. Even when you're not facing off against an enemy fleet, you still fight upwards of a dozen+ ships. It's time consuming, repetitive, boring, and makes the interfleet battles that much less interesting, because everything feels like it's an interfleet battle.

This this this. Oh, this. 100x this.

Space combat in the latest missions (DR onward) have become so horrifyingly tedious and repetitive. I see them as little more than filler between the sections of relatively satisfying and interesting ground combat.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    @darthmeow504

Although i largely agree with you, there's one thing i like to mention.
    Bat'leth the sword of honor is for the Klingons was Excalibur has been for Arthur.
    Memory alpha:
    According to Klingon mythology, the first bat'leth was forged by Kahless the Unforgettable in the 9th century. Kahless cut a lock of his hair and dropped it into the lava of the Kri'stak volcano, then plunged the burning lock into the Lake of Lusor and twisted it into a blade. After forging the weapon, he used it to fight the tyrant Molor, and then gave it its name. This story was not recorded in public texts, but was passed down verbally by the Klingon clerics as a test of Kahless' return. (TNG: "Rightful Heir") (See also: The Story of the Promise)

The Sword of Kahless was preserved by the Klingons following Kahless' death, until it was stolen by the Hur'q when they plundered Qo'noS about five hundred years after his death. (DS9: "The Sword of Kahless")

So since it was a reclic of the real Kahless, it's understandable that Klingons see it as THE symbol of klingon honor itself. Just watch DS9, Episode 4x09 "The Sword of Kahless" to see how fanatic Klingons can become about that weapon.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    2) There was no stealth aspect to the mission, it was more like a raid than anything. We beamed in and immediately began running blind and loud, getting into open combat in the middle of hallways that should have drawn an alarm and brought the whole base onto us. What we should have been doing was sneaking along quietly, with someone specifically said to be working the computers to hide our presence from the surveillance systems and quickly and quietly ambushing enemy groups whenever we couldn't avoid them.

5) Despite this glaring oversight in enemy tactics, we don't actually go and finish our job and rig the last generator while we still can. Instead we stand around and watch the fight, actually drawing attention to ourselves by making noise and being very plainly visible. Still, for some unexplained reason, nobody bothers to dispatch a unit or two to capture us.

Yeah, this was strange. I tried to wait until a group of Heralds passed before I continued, but Kahless' group still engaged them.

It's also weird that, at several instances, a group of Heralds appears out of nowhere and attacks you and the teams. Yet, when they fail to kill you, there are no reinforcements and you can proceed without any problems while the Heralds/Iconians clearly know their base is being infiltrated.

It made me think of the DQ mission where you, while being assisted by Tuvok, infiltrate the Vaadwaur base. That mission was a lot better, although you still had to defeat enemies there. At least in that mission, you didn't engage the enemy in open combat but you used their own defences against them, monitored their movements, used distractions, special gear to go unnoticed for a large part of the mission...
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't get the point of the episode. Why is Khaless there in the first place? Why does he need to be in a covert information gathering and sabotage mission that gets aborted at the first sign of serious resistance? I don't mind how he died - but it is so pointless and poorly explained...

just the poor episodic writing cryptic has.. always been, always will be..
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I got in and played last night for the first time in weeks, specifically to try out this mission.

It was just...bad.

(Beware Spoilers)

Yeah. It was just bad.

/shakehead

Well done. Let me add a bit more to your list.

A covert Intelligence Agency so good at their job that you never heard of them. So they're effective and very good right?

Well except:

- Their leader is the symbolic leader of the Klingon Empire wielding it most symbolic weapon. And he choses to do missions that *nobody ever hears about*. Yeah, that's... really quite stupid isn't it?

- What my be the only effective covert team in all of STO (because we never heard of them) is only covert as long as they are cloaked on their ship. After that it's pure run and gun like they were playing Quake or something. I think I know why we never heard of them- their teams always fail and die!

-After our characters shoot the Ionian in the back with a freakin' Omega Cannon... ok, it's more like opening the Omega waste vents, but whatever- you get my point, i.e. an attacked based upon something that a single molecule of makes SuperNovas look like a snap caps --- this *honorable* upon seeing the backstab in his one-on-one combat Klingon then claims that the *honorable* warrior always wins!

I begin to understand STO Klingons. Winning, no matter the means and claiming the acts of others as your own defines Honor...

-Wait, after this whole mission fails and their Symbolic Leader dies stupidly, the Klingons are screaming about how honorable Kahlass was.

I begin to understand STO Klingons. Losing, no matter the means defines Honor...

This mission was... just horrible.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    -After our characters shoot the Ionian in the back with a freakin' Omega Cannon... ok, it's more like opening the Omega waste vents, but whatever- you get my point, i.e. an attacked based upon something that a single molecule of makes SuperNovas look like a snap caps --- this *honorable* upon seeing the backstab in his one-on-one combat Klingon then claims that the *honorable* warrior always wins!

Well, let's see. Khaless challenged T'ket to a duel. T'Ket is billions of years old, can fly, shoot lasers out of his hands, and is invincible. Khaless cannot. This is apparently a fair fight in everyone's eyes.

They fight for a while, and in spite of being, y'know, superior in every way that could ever matter in a fight, T'ket soon resorts to backing into a corner as far away from Khaless' sword as he can, and shooting him with a ranged weapon.

Apparently, that's somehow not cheating in a swordfight (and neither is being invincible).

You turn off his hax0r godmode cheat. This is apparently worse than shooting someone in the middle of a sword fight. Khaless makes a speech. The Iconian does not react, so then Khaless tries to plant his bat'leth in it's skull.

T'ket puts up his arm to block it. He loses the arm and part of his head.

Khaless sees that his enemy is apparently disabled. He says "Now to finish this", which is apparently the longest and most amazing speech that any of you have ever heard in your entire lives.

The Iconian, who's apparently not as disabled as he was pretending to be, teleports behind him and stabs him in the back.

You all immediately log into the forums to start complaining that Khaless is a dirty cheater because someone else took away T'ket's ability to cheat after he shot Khaless in a swordfight.

I begin to understand STO Klingons.

Now, explain the STO Forums to me! I don't think they understand honor, either.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well, let's see. Khaless challenged T'ket to a duel. T'Ket is billions of years old, can fly, shoot lasers out of his hands, and is invincible. Khaless cannot. This is apparently a fair fight in everyone's eyes.

They fight for a while, and in spite of being, y'know, superior in every way that could ever matter in a fight, T'ket soon resorts to backing into a corner as far away from Khaless' sword as he can, and shooting him with a ranged weapon.

Apparently, that's somehow not cheating in a swordfight (and neither is being invincible).

You turn off his hax0r godmode cheat. This is apparently worse than shooting someone in the middle of a sword fight. Khaless makes a speech. The Iconian does not react, so then Khaless tries to plant his bat'leth in it's skull.

T'ket puts up his arm to block it. He loses the arm and part of his head.

Khaless sees that his enemy is apparently disabled. He says "Now to finish this", which is apparently the longest and most amazing speech that any of you have ever heard in your entire lives.

The Iconian, who's apparently not as disabled as he was pretending to be, teleports behind him and stabs him in the back.

You all immediately log into the forums to start complaining that Khaless is a dirty cheater because someone else took away T'ket's ability to cheat after he shot Khaless in a swordfight.

Now, explain the STO Forums to me! I don't think they understand honor, either.

I have only one thing to say. T'ket is a woman and you keep refferring to her as if she was a man.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    westx211 wrote: »
    I have only one thing to say. T'ket is a woman and you keep refferring to her as if she was a man.

Far be it for me to misgender the alien monster: I apologize to all Iconians who are offended.

Edit: By that I mean Iconians (the forums poster). The Iconians themselves are cheaters and I don't care if they're offended.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

We have no way of knowing that the Iconian was superior in every way. That could have been the nerd girl with glasses of the Iconians for all we know. Her armor, weapons, and skill in combat may have been bottom of the barrel for their kind.

In fact, I rather think that's exactly what she was. Otherwise there was no reason for Kahless to have lasted even a handful of seconds. He should have died instantly.

This is what should of happened:

I don't think I've ever seen a battle where both sides were so stupid before.
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My 2 questions are:

1. Why don't we start shooting from the balcony to help?

2. Why does nobody give a TRIBBLE about losing the Sword of Kahless?