Install Arc
Options

Kahless the Fool [House of Pegh]

Comments

• Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jestersage wrote: »
    He got stabbed in the back. Even "in surprise" you still get sent to the Barge -- if you do the KDf tutorial you will find that your former first officer was killed similarly (taken by surprise from behind) and ended up in Gre'thor.

Similar, not the same. He got it out of combat; the Emperor on the other hand (apparently) dies with his weapon in the hand in a combat no sane person (without respawn option) would have even considered.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Kahless was suffering from the Bond villian disease.
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    And what of the supposed new mechanic this mission was supposed to incorporate that the episode was delayed a week?
    If I'm not mistaken, it was the spec point in a box.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The mini-game was broken for me as well, by the way.
    Mine stopped at 100 points. I felt it was intended.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    darthkuribohdarthkuriboh Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    An honourable man, cloned from the dna of his former self, a complete and utter fool when it comes to execution. Located in front of him was a downed Iconian; a perfect attempt to end said foe.

Does he decapitate said Iconian? No. Does he split the body of said Iconian? No. Does he drive his Bat'leth into the chest of said Iconian? No. What does he do? He takes off an arm. The blundering overweight fool probably mistook the arm for a chicken wing or something. :rolleyes:

Seriously, this idiot is suppose to be the iconic Klingon, and he can't even kill a downed opponent without TRIBBLE it up.

I hope this guy winds up on the Barge of the Dead, and not Sto'vo'kor, cause he sure as hell doesn't deserve the blood-wine fueled afterlife.

You will take care with how you speak of the Emperor.
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Klingons telegraph their punches anyway. Kahles wouldn't stand a chance. It's not exactly difficult to block or dodge his strikes. The fact that Cryptic had to cut away from the fight tells it all. I mean, maybe that batleth makes you stronger and faster. I admit I don't know the specs on the thing.
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If you ask me the stupid thing was putting the symbol of all Klingon culture in charge of a counter intelligence unit.
  • Options
    synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Bad Writing is Bad.

You win some, you lose some...this mission is an almost nonsensical loser, story-wise, but at least it didn't bug to hell like Ancients did. Plus the combat wasn't too bad and the new map was a change. That's about it.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I got in and played last night for the first time in weeks, specifically to try out this mission.

It was just...bad.

(Beware Spoilers)

5. If you are going to kill a Legendary, Iconic character, it needs to be done in a truly epic manner. Everyone knew as soon as Kahless said he was going to go fight T'ket that Kahless was done for. And don't get me started on how mischaracterized Kahless was. I find it completely unbelievable that he'd simply run off to do battle with an Iconian with so many people telling him it was an incredibly dumb idea. And the whole thing was a big giant waste. Let's try not to wantonly throw away anymore iconic characters, eh?

/shakehead

Wasnt there a story told about Khaless meeting some fool who was going to stand out in the middle of a storm to show he couldnt be beaten by that force of nature and Khaless called him a fool and the guy died a fool? Did Khaless ever read his own stories?
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wasnt there a story told about Khaless meeting some fool who was going to stand out in the middle of a storm to show he couldnt be beaten by that force of nature and Khaless called him a fool and the guy died a fool? Did Khaless ever read his own stories?

Yeah, you are right.

From Memory Alpha:
    Long ago, a storm was heading for the city of Quin'lat. Everyone took protection within the walls except one man who remained outside. Kahless went to him and asked what he was doing. "I am not afraid," the man said. "I will not hide my face behind stone and mortar. I will stand before the wind and make it respect me." Kahless honored his choice and went back inside. The next day, the storm came, and the man was killed. Kahless replied, "The wind does not respect a fool". (TNG: "Rightful Heir")

Apparently Kahless just died from the sin of hubris.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, you are right.

From Memory Alpha:

Apparently Kahless just died from the sin of hubris.

No. If he had been the "fool" in the original story, he would have actually slowed the storm down with his actions.

He chopped of a fracking limb. Before the fight, the Iconians were untouched, and we've heard some Romulans think that this battle might not be winnable.

But Kahless created evidence that the Iconians can be hurt. That they feel pain. That they fear death.

That is how the Klingons will see his action. It will renew their will to fight, and it will likely also not go unnoticed to the rest of the alliance.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    That is how the Klingons will see his action. It will renew their will to fight, and it will likely also not go unnoticed to the rest of the alliance.

This is how the writers will make the Klingons see it, yes.

But bad writers will do what bad writers do.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    synfoola wrote: »
    Bad Writing is Bad.

You win some, you lose some...this mission is an almost nonsensical loser, story-wise, but at least it didn't bug to hell like Ancients did. Plus the combat wasn't too bad and the new map was a change. That's about it.

This pretty much sums it up. Just horrible writing.

The part about the mission not bugging around, though: I've had to restart the mission twice, because an Iconian teleported into the ceiling, couldn't be reached and bugged out both the Klingons and my Boffs... :(
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is how the writers will make the Klingons see it, yes.

Klingons are masters at the art of rewriting their history to reflect their cultural bias.
    I suspect most of their history is a fabrication, anything that didn't reflect their obsession with honor was edited or omitted.

Because Kahless vailiantly falling in battle having injured an allpowerful conquerer is a better story then dumdum paused to pontificate instead of taking the kill and got impaled, that's the story they will tell.

If you ask any of my characters, they'll tell the second story and double facepalm/headshake while doing so.......

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    astro2244 wrote: »
    Finally the Iconian pulled a Loki teleport move like in the Avengers with Coulson and stabbed him through the heart from behind. ("So that's what it does.")
    Makes you wonder do the Klingons have T.A.H.I.T.I. programme, so that revived Kahless could tell us about "a magical place" :D
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    It would have been better, if Kahless led a separate team to the base on a separate goal, and our team witnessed the fall of Kahless as his team was wiped out, instead of I have a magical weapon.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No. If he had been the "fool" in the original story, he would have actually slowed the storm down with his actions.

He chopped of a fracking limb. Before the fight, the Iconians were untouched, and we've heard some Romulans think that this battle might not be winnable.

But Kahless created evidence that the Iconians can be hurt. That they feel pain. That they fear death.

And how much more impressive his actions would have been if he had actually just killed the Iconian already, instead of just standing there, saying how he's gonna kill him! :P

And then they left the sword on the floor. Oniy their most sacred relic and all. Of course, the wisdom of bringing a sword against an Iconian is another matter.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    And how much more impressive his actions would have been if he had actually just killed the Iconian already, instead of just standing there, saying how he's gonna kill him! :P

And then they left the sword on the floor. Oniy their most sacred relic and all. Of course, the wisdom of bringing a sword against an Iconian is another matter.

There is a deleted scene, where Ramir morphs into Gollum and steals it away.
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited June 2015
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    It would have been better, if Kahless led a separate team to the base on a separate goal, and our team witnessed the fall of Kahless as his team was wiped out, instead of I have a magical weapon.

I'll repost this here.....

kapla1755 wrote: »
    After a couple of replays of the new FE it seems we were mislead....

It is made to seem like its our idea to beam down and "stabilize" the omega molecules, but after we arrive Kahless shows up for what reason?, we already had a capable away team, no need for the "Emperor" to come on an information and sabotage mission.

We discover and stabilize the 2 Omega molecules then we are unable to locate the 3rd OMG Super Power source except by remote video cameras?

After we "discover" T'ket the Iconian is at the facility, Kahless insists on a personal battle with the Iconian?

Once Kahless starts his fight with the Iconian the 1st words uttered as we enter the next area are "We're In", like we knew where The Iconian was all along?

After a brief fight with some Heralds and their minions do we try to complete the mission?, which btw would be impossible as there is NO 3rd Omega molecule station to stabilize in the area we were lead to.

We do help Kahless weaken the Icionian thru some coincidentally located consoles that allow us to absorb some of the Iconian power momentarity, allowing Kahless to cut off the Iconians arm proving they can be hurt by "mere mortals".

After Kahless's "death" we are beamed out of the "shielded facility" that we were beamed "blind" into amazingly fast, our ships may have keep the plot device "transporter lock" on us the whole time, but really just hmmm?

After the fight our priority is to get the information we discovered [particularly that the Iconians are worried about the alliance recovering any Krenim time travel tech at all], back to the alliance and also that the Kahless had wounded an Iconian in single combat.

Supposition that the mission had two objectives.....

1. Recover information and destabilize the Iconian base

2. a secret objective based on information that an Iconian would possibly be at this base, would be for Kahless to engage the Iconian in single combat and attempt to wound or kill it if possible with a subtext that even if Kahless was killed he could serve as inspiration for the rest of the Empire [not sure how much the Alliance would be moved honestly] for daring to do the impossible and fight these ancient beings some considered gods.

2. if the second objective was possible, it could bolster the morale of the alliance which had "a quarter" of the fleet wiped out in our first FE against the Iconians.

Also is it suspicious that we knew the name of the the Iconian from a simple visual observation, Food for thought :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    An honourable man, cloned from the dna of his former self, a complete and utter fool when it comes to execution. Located in front of him was a downed Iconian; a perfect attempt to end said foe.

Does he decapitate said Iconian? No. Does he split the body of said Iconian? No. Does he drive his Bat'leth into the chest of said Iconian? No. What does he do? He takes off an arm. The blundering overweight fool probably mistook the arm for a chicken wing or something. :rolleyes:

Seriously, this idiot is suppose to be the iconic Klingon, and he can't even kill a downed opponent without TRIBBLE it up.

I hope this guy winds up on the Barge of the Dead, and not Sto'vo'kor, cause he sure as hell doesn't deserve the blood-wine fueled afterlife.

Klingons are such Drama queens... 😂
  • Options
    johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    yeah after my first play through I started wondering if in the next featured episode we could see the clone of space Lincoln square off against an iconian using the derringer of john Wilkes booth, and just before firing the kill shot he breaks into the Gettysburg address and gets cut down by the iconian
  • Options
    gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well Space Lincoln did show up in TOS... :D

Didn't smooth head Kahless the Unforgettable murder him in an effort to lure out Kirk and Spock?
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, and Kirk never went to Talos IV, Zefram Cochrane wasn't a drunk who developed a warp drive so he could cash in on it and retire to an island with naked women, and Sisko totally had nothing to do with that Romulan Senator's death.

Sorry but rewriting history isn't isolated to just the Klinks (sadly.) Just saying... :rolleyes:

You can't make that comparison, it's not valid.
    We're not talking about omitting a few historical references, we're talking about a complete fabrication of all the Klingon history.

And about the points you raised:

1. Talos IV was classified to be top secret, so it's not like that would be in the official public records.
    2. Does history ever record what someone was like personally? The legend is what is remembered, not any humanistic characteristics they had.
    3. I don't remember the Romulan Senator incident clearly, but from what little I do remember, it wasn't reported to Starfleet and it was Garak who did the actual assasssination.
    Beware bored espionage agents with too much time on their hands.......

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I generally agree. And...the Emporer of the Klingon Empire monolouging!. That is the part I HATE. Blunt heavy sword or sharp, the final blow from a great warrior would have been quick, deadly, decisive and perfectly applied with all finality. It would have decapitated the prone form of T'Ket. Done!

But look at the bright side. He also lost the Sword of Kahless, dropped from his cooling dying grasp to clatter on the ground in hollow defeat. Now, you, the greatest warrior of our age, according to J'mpok, will have your chance to reclaim the ultimate symbol of Klingon identity when you get your chance to take on an Iconian in single combat in the exciting conclusion of The Iconian War! Dundundun.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Meanwhile we have my Lethean going, "Get the f*ck out of the way so I can just shoot him, you stupid TRIBBLE!"

Typical Klingon, you close to melee range of something that vaporizes people with a wave of its hand. It's called an Uzi, ya chump! Could have saved your TRIBBLE right about now. :rolleyes:
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    It's things like this that almost makes me respect the guys behind EVE Online. The publish the games metrics to anyone to read- and you can see what content is successful or not.

I wish other game companies were that open. I'd love to seen the replay stats on this mission compared to previous ones that offered multiple rewards.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Thank you for making my point for me. :)

Sadly I was there, and I know Kahless and his team were utter fools.

But I can accept that.

What I can't accept that they forced my character to cheer for him!