test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CBS unviels the extended look at Supergirl and it's...ehhhh

Comments

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ryan218 wrote: »
    I'm just going to chime in on something. Your original post came across like you were claiming that Supergirl was a new character created just for this show. That's what ticked people off, because Kara Zhor'el has become a very distinct character from Superman since her inception, and isn't (in her present form) just a gender-swapped 'reboot' of Superman.

She's more similar to M2 Spider-Girl or Marvel 616's X-23 - Same powers as the original but different in many ways. in the first case, May Parker was Peter Parker's daughter, while X-23 is a female clone of Wolverine who came to see Wolverine as a father-figure.

The key difference is Kara is Kal-El's cousin and the two had a strong familial relationship before either of them were sent to Earth.

Back to my original point, it's not your dislike of the show, I think, that's ticked people off, but the fact that your original post came off as suggesting Supergirl never existed until this show, when in reality she's been around for about 40 years and has a rich and unique backstory. To be clear, I'm not even a DC fan. I have nothing against them, I've just never had a chance to get into them, whereas I grew up with Marvel. I'd be just as upset (though I'd still understand why) if someone treated Spider-girl as a gender-swapped reboot of Spider-Man. Unless you already know the character, that's exactly what it would seem like.

but which universe does THIS one exist in DC has manipuliated universes so many times idk which is prime and which is alt and which is a bologne sandwich.

Thats where i was going with my original post is in which universe does THIS supergirl exist is it the prime universe is it an alt universe is it earth one , two ,three-1K?

With DC its so hard to tell they have messed with alternate universes so darned much one director might be touting primeverse only for DC to come along later adn say >nope not canon she existed in an alt timeline".

As far as the storyline they just took the campy old school superman made him a woman and added superman cameos to pretend they didnt.

Its not to im against a new supergil but is DC just gonna toss her on the tire fire thats the DC crapverse on a whim? or are they going to stick to keeping either canon or alt universe.

DC has made me sick since they took all the great stories tossed them on the tire fire of the alt crisis crapola way back early 80s and basically told us all to forget them because they werent canon anymore.

So either this is going to be a primeverse canon supergirl or an alt universe ...yet another supergirl to be tossed on the tire fire.

i know its confusing but hey DC been TRIBBLE with thier stuff for ages so understand my confusion.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    have any of you realized that within the next 5 years your cable station and your wallet will be an "on order" if you wanna see euro's making cheeze in eruope"order" if you wanna see the american big assed kardasian cluster "order" just watch my friends and keep your mommy's wallets open, it's comming to an area near you:P

Just going to stop the topic for a moment and highlight this dose of Dubbya Tee Eff here.

:confused:
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    but which universe does THIS one exist in DC has manipuliated universes so many times idk which is prime and which is alt and which is a bologne sandwich.

Thats where i was going with my original post is in which universe does THIS supergirl exist is it the prime universe is it an alt universe is it earth one , two ,three-1K?

With DC its so hard to tell they have messed with alternate universes so darned much one director might be touting primeverse only for DC to come along later adn say >nope not canon she existed in an alt timeline".

As far as the storyline they just took the campy old school superman made him a woman and added superman cameos to pretend they didnt.

Its not to im against a new supergil but is DC just gonna toss her on the tire fire thats the DC crapverse on a whim? or are they going to stick to keeping either canon or alt universe.

DC has made me sick since they took all the great stories tossed them on the tire fire of the alt crisis crapola way back early 80s and basically told us all to forget them because they werent canon anymore.

So either this is going to be a primeverse canon supergirl or an alt universe ...yet another supergirl to be tossed on the tire fire.

i know its confusing but hey DC been TRIBBLE with thier stuff for ages so understand my confusion.

I do understand your confusion. I haven't seen the pilot (live in the UK, and I have no idea if it's even being aired over here on a channel I can watch), but it looks like they're telling the story from DC Earth One (which, for the next attention span of the writers, is New 52) with some of her classic portrayal thrown in, plus some standard Comic-TV genre-savvy that's pretty standard in the medium (I.E. SM:TAS: 'This is sounding like some bad comic book plot!).

It's probably going to be played as a Supergirl Smallville-esque show like Flash and Arrow were for The Flash and Green Arrow.

On a related note, I actually take a more favourable stance on reboots if they're good. I actually enjoy the idea of taking a known story and looking at it from a different angle, like BSG:Reimagined and ST09 did. Then again, I fully realise I'm in the minority with that opinion. It's part of the reason I enjoy characters like Supergirl, Spider-Girl, Ultimate Spider-Man and Ben Reilly's Scarlet Spider so much.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm just going to chime in on something. Your original post came across like you were claiming that Supergirl was a new character created just for this show. That's what ticked people off, because Kara Zhor'el has become a very distinct character from Superman since her inception, and isn't (in her present form) just a gender-swapped 'reboot' of Superman.

I'm just going to chime in on something. Why couldn't they have replied like you did there? Pretty simple? Straightforward? Yep...just a "nope, that's not what it is"...sort of thing, right?

Instead...they reacted like he was fourth generation inbred and they'd just caught him trying to hump their dog in the backyard.

Just saying...the reaction was...way over the top.
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just saying...the reaction was...way over the top.

You must be new to these forums :D
    w8xekp.jpg
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I do understand your confusion. I haven't seen the pilot (live in the UK, and I have no idea if it's even being aired over here on a channel I can watch), but it looks like they're telling the story from DC Earth One (which, for the next attention span of the writers, is New 52) with some of her classic portrayal thrown in, plus some standard Comic-TV genre-savvy that's pretty standard in the medium (I.E. SM:TAS: 'This is sounding like some bad comic book plot!).

It's probably going to be played as a Supergirl Smallville-esque show like Flash and Arrow were for The Flash and Green Arrow.

On a related note, I actually take a more favourable stance on reboots if they're good. I actually enjoy the idea of taking a known story and looking at it from a different angle, like BSG:Reimagined and ST09 did. Then again, I fully realise I'm in the minority with that opinion. It's part of the reason I enjoy characters like Supergirl, Spider-Girl, Ultimate Spider-Man and Ben Reilly's Scarlet Spider so much.

From what I understand, the Supergirl show takes place both in the DCCU and TV Universe at the same time. Which is weird because Snyder flat out said that MoS and Arrow are not the same universe so he can reboot Green Arrow for Dawn of Justice.

It's a very odd thing.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    From what I understand, the Supergirl show takes place both in the DCCU and TV Universe at the same time. Which is weird because Snyder flat out said that MoS and Arrow are not the same universe so he can reboot Green Arrow for Dawn of Justice.

It's a very odd thing.

Thats why im not getting on the band wagon with this new super girl show simply because DC has always on a whim decided to hit the reset and alt universe this and that and this supergirl is not canon any longer.

and with the director already saying she straddles both universes thats very sketchy right there so only time will tell how this new incarnation of supergirl turns out to be either canon or cannon fodder.
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I can say this I have watched the leaked pilot episode ... Watched it last night as a matter fact... And I can honestly say I think DC has finally finally hit a wall I didn't think they can make a series even remotely interesting when arrow came out I was wrong it was fantastic and since I'm old enough to remember the flash of the 80s on TV and how horrible that was I was sure this was a deathknell for them when they did the flash I was wrong again... Even the other series with the called? Heroes of tomorrow or something like that I saw the trailer for that and I was like wow that really looks good then I watched the pilot of Supergirl and I was like what in the world was that??? Not once in the entire show today even refer to Superman they either called him your cousin or seriously...HIM .... Really?? wtf? No this things like a train wreck waiting to happen you can only go to well so many times we come up empty
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Concerning the new series, I must say I'm glad. Supergirl is a character I like a lot, so the tv series is most welcome. I've watched the pilot and i liked it. It's not awsome but it's enjoyable.
    Bottom line It's pretty simple really: like it, watch it. Don't like it, don't. There are so many tv series to choose from anyway.

As for the discussion about the changes being made to characters in the name of "diversity" I must say I'm getting a bit tired of the racist, sexist, whatever card being played everytime someone mentions they don't like that a character has been changed. It's not sexism, it's not racism, it's merely liking something a given way and being forced to accept it in a different manner because otherwise you're narrow minded.
    Frankly I don't mind Jimmy Olsen being black and from the pilot, I quite liked the actor. But Jimmy Olsen was never a character I liked, so it's irrelevant to me if he's the same or different. But I do get that it's very relevant for people who do like the character and know the character to be a given way. If Supergirl was now black, or asian, or indian, or even brunette I promise you I would indeed have a problem with that. And no it's not racism, it's not because I don't like black people, it's not because I believe they are inferior and it's not even because I think that a black supergirl would be bad. It's because it wouldn't be THE Supergirl I know and like. Just as I would not like a white Storm, a white Uhura, a caucasian of female Sulu, a Klingon Spock, a female Jeanne-Luc Picard, a swedish looking Kung Lau or Liu Kang, etc, etc....
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015

It's a very odd thing.

From what I remember it is it's own universe ATM, but by series 2 they might cross it over with Arrow and make it part of that universe. I believe a similar thing is planed with the 'Titans' show next year.

I think they all agreed to keep the T and Film universes completely separate. The only exception to that might have been 'Constantine' where it would link into the 'Justice League Dark' film, but that show is cancelled for the moment and the film may not have been in the DCCU anyway.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Apparently not.

I've got to say that I disagree with you on this one. It's perhaps slightly surprising in the wake of all that history, but it's not unprecedented and the character isn't significantly altered by having a black man play the role.

Modern audiences won't bat an eye. Had they cast a black man in the role of Superman, that would be noteworthy. Not because a dark-skinned Superman would be a bad thing, but because that's not the image people have in their heads when you talk about Superman.

(Unless of course, we're talking about Muhammed Ali...)

Try asking a non-fanboy whether they can picture a black man as Jimmy Olsen and most of them are going to say "Jimmy Who?"

If there's anything wrong with the casting, it's that I expect Jimmy Olsen to be the youngest guy in the room and that he's the one gushing over Kara and not the other way around. This guy seems too self-assured.

But in the clip I saw, they handled it beautifully. She calls him Jimmy -- acknowledging that we're talking about Superman's Pal -- and then he corrects her and calls himself James, establishing that this is not quite the Jimmy Olsen we might be familiar with and moving forward with it.

I agree with the Superman reference, that would have been obviously noteworthy exactly how however?.

I mean if were talking about "modern" audiences not batting eyelashes, why would the current audience have a history of reference from which to apply Caucasian to superman any more than jimmie.

I guess I hear a contradiction in your reasoning, and find it curious that even though I was born in 1962, and "still" am an active viewer of entertainment today, I somehow don't belong in the modern audience anymore.

I guess I reached some unknown age of departure.

Just a thought.
    edited June 2015
    "I can't be a bigot! I know a person outside of my race!"

I have never understood that line of thinking. Just because you know a person of a certain lifestyle or ethnicity doesn't mean what you say isn't less offensive or bigoted. It's still pretty bad.

And I would watch Warwick Davis as Superman. That dude is an amazing actor. I was surprised to see him play the King of the universe on Doctor Who.

I find it highly unlikely Valoreah pursued an interracial relationship to disguise some hidden revulsion to Jimmie Olsen "eventually" being casted as an African American, an eventuality I find it unlikely he could have foreseen.

He is opposed to the casting because he feels it was unnecessary, I have reviewed his posts in this thread and find no statement that supports a character mired in bigotry.

"Suggested" interpretations of bigotry are nothing more than "interpretation", and /or personal opinion.

If he doesn't say factually that he doesn't like men, women, or this or that ethnic element "specifically" because of their gender/race, he "didn't" expose bigotry within his character.

Inside the medium of an internet forum you cannot see how he reacts to the presence of people of different gender/ethnicity, therefore "yes" he must say so factually, otherwise your observation is mere assumption and nothing more.

I have "never understood this line of thinking", and agree with his observation that it shows a lack of required observation.

People love to define flaws of character into meaningless shades of gray to often justify opinions that have no standing within proof.

People who find bigotry in character without the foundation of proof simply help perpetuate it.

I "suspect" you of thinking "this way", isn't good enough.
    edited June 2015
    I got round to watching the pilot.

It has some good ideas and it feels similar to The Flash in terms of how light hatred it is and how superpowers can be fun.

The problems I found with it were:
    • Skirt. Seriously, if you fly, get trousers.
    • Beleaguered assistant. Any reason Kara could't have a less chick flick job, like say a reporter in a the news company?
    • Hologram mother. I understand Superman had his dad as (from what I understand) he made the recordings whilst his mum got the ship ready, but why does Kara only get a hologram from her mum? Her dad just stands there in the background and doesn't even say goodbye.
    • General Evil!Twin. Not Zod, because female heroes can only have female villains :rolleyes:. Oh, and she's related to her, fantastic.
    • Superman. Why not just remove him from the story full stop? Have Kara fill the role Clark did originally. The show is forbidden to use him (other than the faceless shadow in the pilot). What happened when Kara faces the General and she (for instance) is beating her and destroys a city, where is Superman? It makes him look like a bit of a **** if he won't show up and help.
    • Random outbursts of, almost Agent Carter like, feminism. I don't have a problem with it until you get to a scene like the one where she complains to her boss about the name. Yeah, empowerment, yeah :rolleyes:. Or just use your eye lasers to write 'Superwoman woz 'ear' on the side of a building and make the papers get the hint.

Other than that I didn't mind it.

I hope the shared deal with the 'Arrowverse' and the 'Titans' show goes ahead, it would be nice to get a Justice League on TV (with Supergirl and Nightwing standing in for Superman and Batman) to contrast with the one in film.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

edited June 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Couldn't get past the first minute or two of this. Skipping it for sure. And since when is Jimmy Olsen an African American? Oy vey.... PC for the sake of PC.

In all fairness man, I almost couldn't get past the first two seasons of Voyager, they sucked, in my opinion of course.

It got better though, maybe the supergirl writing will improve and also improve your opinion, maybe not.

And no it wasn't Seven of Nine and me being a hormone charged male, personally I think Roxanne Dawson was the hottest thing ever to grace Trek, and I prefer redheads.

I hardly noticed Ryan with Dawson around.^^

Anyway, I will probably be coined a male chauvinist relic now lol.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    artan42 wrote: »
    [*]Superman. Why not just remove him from the story full stop? Have Kara fill the role Clark did originally. The show is forbidden to use him (other than the faceless shadow in the pilot). What happened when Kara faces the General and she (for instance) is beating her and destroys a city, where is Superman? It makes him look like a bit of a **** if he won't show up and help.
    Because at least where his cousin is concerned, Superman is a bit of a ****. In comics, he once "exiled her to an asteroid" as a training mission. He would often treat her in a fashion that society of the age believed a man should treat a female in whom he has no romantic interest - like a slightly stupid child. It was more reflective of the age in which the old stories were written than anything else, but still, his being a super-jerk is canon.

OTOH, Supes is part of the classic backstory for the character - take that out, and you take out the very reason for calling her Supergirl (or Superwoman, for that matter). It would, I think, still make for an interesting show - but a very different interesting show than the one they're trying to make now.

(On a side note, did you know that DC has a canonical "Superwoman"? In the world run by the Crime Syndicate of Amerika, she's one of the group's major members. She's officially married to Ultraman, but has a relationship with Owlman on the side.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited June 2015
    artan42 wrote: »

[*]Superman. Why not just remove him from the story full stop? Have Kara fill the role Clark did originally. The show is forbidden to use him (other than the faceless shadow in the pilot). What happened when Kara faces the General and she (for instance) is beating her and destroys a city, where is Superman? It makes him look like a bit of a **** if he won't show up and help.

[/LIST]

Because he's not an obscure character. In fact, he may be the most recognized superhero comic character in the world (possible exception of Batman). To have his complete absence would actually be a suspension of belief, strange as that may be, and one most of the general public would find to be a turn-off. Better to have him as a tease than non-existent.
    edited June 2015
    Superman: “You’re asking where was I? I was a million miles away…chasing my holy trinity. Three words…'Superman…Save me.’”
    w8xekp.jpg
    edited June 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    OTOH, Supes is part of the classic backstory for the character - take that out, and you take out the very reason for calling her Supergirl (or Superwoman, for that matter). It would, I think, still make for an interesting show - but a very different interesting show than the one they're trying to make now.

Well she would be called Super(female pronoun) for the same reason Clark was, they are super and have a big 'S' on their chests.

I wonder if there has ever been an example of where the female here came first with a male counterpart made later?
    Because he's not an obscure character. In fact, he may be the most recognized superhero comic character in the world (possible exception of Batman). To have his complete absence would actually be a suspension of belief, strange as that may be, and one most of the general public would find to be a turn-off. Better to have him as a tease than non-existent.

On his own he is. But Supergirl is hardly well known, I doubt most people know all that much about her origin, not including Superman would not effect her background, and as he can't fully be in this particular universe, it would not effect his.
    Just make her the last daughter of Kripton sent to Earth and raised as Human, no need to mention Superman at all.
    People would either: get they can't use him. Think that Supergirl is just a female reboot of him. Or wonder where he is for a bit then get on with the show.

#TASforSTO

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I get what you're saying. It just isn't really my kind of show and TBH, I don't watch much "regular" TV anymore. I simply cannot stand being inundated every minute with useless advertising. I'm enjoying watching the old Incredible Hulk TV show on Netflix. :)

I can't watch regular TV anymore either.

But as a German that likes to stay up to date with his favourite TV shows, commercially-infested TV is not really an option for me. I "have" to use other sources, which work without them.

Online Streaming might be something to look into for an US American. IT will cost you money, of course, but you'll love being able to see TV shows without ads. And the lack of ads also means that the shows are made to get viewers, not to be as cheap as possible so that any ad sold earns you a profit.

If those streaming services get rid of any region locking for their content and have a wide enough portfolio, I think they'll be the future.

Reality TV bull**** on regular TV, real TV series with actual content via streaming.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited June 2015
    I'll probably pick up watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. there too.
    If you haven't been watching it on TV, don't let the first half of Season 1 discourage you. They had to do a lot of placeholder episodes while waiting for Captain America: Winter Soldier to come out, because there's a huge reveal that actually does change everything for them in the movie. They knew it was coming up, but couldn't do anything with it until the movie happened. The series improves vastly after that.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited June 2015
    Noted, thanks. I'm sure just watching Ming Na will keep me entertained for the first half of the season. :) Can't believe she is 51! :eek:
    Yeah, watching Ming Na Wen kicking seven kinds of butt never gets old. And it is nice seeing hot ladies my own age on TV... :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Because at least where his cousin is concerned, Superman is a bit of a ****. In comics, he once "exiled her to an asteroid" as a training mission. He would often treat her in a fashion that society of the age believed a man should treat a female in whom he has no romantic interest - like a slightly stupid child. It was more reflective of the age in which the old stories were written than anything else, but still, his being a super-jerk is canon.

(On a side note, did you know that DC has a canonical "Superwoman"? In the world run by the Crime Syndicate of Amerika, she's one of the group's major members. She's officially married to Ultraman, but has a relationship with Owlman on the side.)
    you're thinking of the Lois Lane version. There's also a Lucy Lane version who is the sister of the regular Lois.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited June 2015
    you're thinking of the Lois Lane version. There's also a Lucy Lane version who is the sister of the regular Lois.
    Wow, that hood is really impractical for a flyer.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You guys do realize that there's an entire website dedicated to Superman being a ****, right?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Wow, that hood is really impractical for a flyer.
    It's a magical hood. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited June 2015
    A hood works okay for Spider-Gwen.
    w8xekp.jpg
    edited June 2015
    quintaris wrote: »
    A hood works okay for Spider-Gwen.