test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CBS unviels the extended look at Supergirl and it's...ehhhh

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Which I guess gets into the fanboi thing, cause even if Jimmy were being portrayed by a white male actor...that portrayal of Jimmy as James doesn't fit either.
    As near as I can tell Superman has been around for many years at this point within their continuity. James was Jimmy, but he grew up by the time Kara is taking her place in the superhuman scene. This is not Superman Year 1. This is more like Superman Year 10, Kara Year 1. This seems to be confirmed by an older Jimmy, an older Cat Grant who used to work with Clark but now runs a magazine, etc.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Y'know, as much as I liked Helen Slater in the role -- bad as the movie was -- this version of Kara seems a lot more (ironically) human.
    One of my favorite moments from the Helen Slater version was when she's talking to a human classmate and makes a comment about how she wasn't as good at multidimensional geometry before she came to Earth. :P She did a REALLY good job of capturing the "strange visitor from another planet" angle. Of course in that movie Kara had only been on Earth a matter of days. She didn't really know her powers or the planet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    As near as I can tell Superman has been around for many years at this point within their continuity. James was Jimmy, but he grew up by the time Kara is taking her place in the superhuman scene. This is not Superman Year 1. This is more like Superman Year 10, Kara Year 1. This seems to be confirmed by an older Jimmy, an older Cat Grant who used to work with Clark but now runs a magazine, etc.

Indeed. Jimmy--um, I mean James--Olsen was pretty self-assured and confident of himself in the later years of the Silver Age and during the Bronze Age. In fact, he pretty much had celebrity status as a master of disguise, Superman's best friend, and photographer. He could also fight moderately well. So clearly, this is that Jimmy--I mean James--Olsen who just happens to be played by a black man in this new show.
    edited May 2015
    Also in the comics, Olsen sometimes has had green scaly skin. :P

Yeah, he never gets the good superpowers and he rarely gets bad ones at that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • ryurangerryuranger Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hay Guys the new Super-girl series pilot is out and I have to say from the did not do the Pilot justice its actually vary good show and looks vary promising compare whats out there now the only problem I see that the writers cannot avoid is SUPERMAN Here is why through out the Episode they kept comparing Kora to Superman and also making inside jokes of him they have Jimmy Olson who likes to be called James or Jim is in the show as well and I am looking forword for the new season next fall
    May the Shwartz Be With You
    CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Also in the comics, Olsen sometimes has had green scaly skin. :P

Yeah, he never gets the good superpowers and he rarely gets bad ones at that.

Jimmy gets superpowers, take a shot.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I truly have no idea how I feel about this.

On the one hand, it looks like a total kick butt superhero show. The action sequences seem pretty cool and the effects are seemless and pop on screen.

On the other hand....Supergirl works at a magazine, which is the premise for HOW many CBS sitcoms in the past two years?

That's just cringe worthy.

Pft. She's a TRIBBLE. So am I. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    thetanine wrote: »
    Pft. She's a TRIBBLE. So am I. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Wait what?

Supergirl is a TRIBBLE now?

Sucks to be Brainiac V then.

Then again, I only condone one robosexual pairing.

DataxTasha FTW.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited May 2015
    Wait what?

DataxTasha FTW.

I'm pretty certain it was reference to the TRIBBLE joke when Kara was trying to break the news to that guy that she was Supergirl.
    edited May 2015
    Wait what?

DataxTasha FTW.
    Vril Dox isn't a robot...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    KARA'S FOSTER PARENTS ARE DEAN CAIN AND HELEN SLATER.

That is awesome.
    w8xekp.jpg
    edited May 2015
    quintaris wrote: »
    KARA'S FOSTER PARENTS ARE DEAN CAIN AND HELEN SLATER.

That is awesome.
    YES!!! So awesome. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    so watched the trailer and my response?

Oh so they made another superman show this time with a girl with cameos of superman in it
    no thanks i will pass was hoping for something more original not a rebooting of superman.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Are... are you honestly telling us you've never heard of Supergirl??? Kal-El's cousin? Became Power Girl in an alternate Earth? Had a movie back in the day? Had her own title for years? Impersonated for a while by a shapeshifting alien called Matrix, at Lex Luthor's behest, when Kara Zor-El was thought dead? Any of this ringing a bell?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited May 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Are... are you honestly telling us you've never heard of Supergirl??? Kal-El's cousin? Became Power Girl in an alternate Earth? Had a movie back in the day? Had her own title for years? Impersonated for a while by a shapeshifting alien called Matrix, at Lex Luthor's behest, when Kara Zor-El was thought dead? Any of this ringing a bell?

If I could like or star this post I would. Some people are just so bloody clueless.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015

It's kind of funny...cause in reading this in reply I guess to what jorantomalak said...

I could easily see somebody having no idea who Supergirl is or anything about her. Hell, I've heard of Supergirl...but the rest of what you said? No idea. No clue. Nada.

IGN's Top #100...

100 - Groo (awesome book, heh)
    99 - Wasp (go go Avengers)
    98 - Nova (sounded familiar, but had to look him up)
    97 - Adam Strange (no clue, and had to look him up)
    96 - The Falcon (yep, yep good to go!)
    95 - Savage Dragon (ah, the memories of Image back in the day)
    94 - Supergirl (/cough)
    93 - Donna Troy (no clue, had to look her up)
    92 - Usagi Yojimbo (heh, admittedly from the TMNT stuff back in the day)
    91 - Cerebus (oh man, now that was a trip)

How about the other end, eh?

1 - Superman (blah, blah, blah)
    2 - Batman (definitely up there)
    3 - Spider-Man (would have rated lower)
    4 - Wovlerine (would have rated higher)
    5 - Wonder Woman (well known)
    6 - Captain America (classic)
    7 - Hal Jordan/Green Lantern (they got to be kidding)
    8 - Wally West/Flash (LMFAO)
    9 - The Hulk (Hulk...smash)
    10 - Daredevil (that's kind of odd, imho)

http://www.ign.com/top/comic-book-heroes/

So yeah...Supergirl...people not recognizing her or anything...pretty easy. Hell, I'd be surprised if there weren't some posts out there on forums/comments in news articles from folks asking if Superman got the Thor treatment.

Oh yeah...Marvel Rules, DC Drools. ;)
    edited May 2015
    If it's not significant, then why not change it? And Warwick Davis is getting a little old to play Olsen.

Seriously, val, you're starting to come off as maybe a little bigoted. If that's not your intent, perhaps lay off the hobbyhorse for a while?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited May 2015

Actually, I was unaware of of the Matrix bit, but I've not collected comics since, oh, 1996 or so. I actually thought you were going to mention Supergirl's slightly-aged clone Galatea in Justice League Unlimited.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I truely have no idea about comic superheros, apart from Marvel movies tbh.

But i think she looks hot!
    (maybe it's just the actress though... :) )
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'm in an interracial marriage, so please go ahead and continue to call me a bigot. Only makes you come off as ignorant.

"I can't be a bigot! I know a person outside of my race!"

I have never understood that line of thinking. Just because you know a person of a certain lifestyle or ethnicity doesn't mean what you say isn't less offensive or bigoted. It's still pretty bad.

And I would watch Warwick Davis as Superman. That dude is an amazing actor. I was surprised to see him play the King of the universe on Doctor Who.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited May 2015
    Warwick Davis as Superman, Peter Dinklage as Zod? I'd be down for that, but it might have to be just the two of them - they'd act circles around the rest of the cast.

And val, you may be in an "interracial" marriage (and you're hardly alone in this) - but this constant insistence that a) any change in a character's appearance from the comics (for instance, making James Olsen black) is the equivalent of recasting Superman as (insert minority group here), and b) this is intrinsically a bad thing, sure doesn't make you sound really open-minded. The only thing "intrinsic" to the character of Superman, besides being a physically and mentally superior specimen (hence the "Super" part), is that he is male. On the other hand, Dean Tanaka (stage name Dean Cain) did a pretty good job as a half-Japanese Superman on TV...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    so watched the trailer and my response?

Oh so they made another superman show this time with a girl with cameos of superman in it
    no thanks i will pass was hoping for something more original not a rebooting of superman.

All I got to say is wow. The ignorance is high in this one.
    edited May 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'm in an interracial marriage, so please go ahead and continue to call me a bigot. Only makes you come off as ignorant.

If I only I had a nickel for every time I heard someone spouting bigoted schlock say something like this.... :rolleyes:
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015

And I would watch Warwick Davis as Superman. That dude is an amazing actor. I was surprised to see him play the King of the universe on Doctor Who.

Emperor not king ;).
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited May 2015
    eldarion79 wrote: »

So i share my opinion and take on what i watched in the pilot and you call me ignorant?

If this thread was not meant to house the opinions of others then why make it at all.

i stand by my initial conclussion upon watching the trailer that supergirl is nothing more then a reboot of superman using a female version with superman cameos to be sly about it.

Common seriously she is practically a female clark kent i mean seriosuly its just a new spin on an old story and they call it "New"
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If I could like or star this post I would. Some people are just so bloody clueless.
    eldarion79 wrote: »

These have to be two of my favorite posts recently...

...seeing folks get butthurt cause somebody didn't know who their precious Supergirl was or pointing out to how obvious the similarities are with classical Superman?

Man, there should be some sort of award for getting upset over something like that.
    edited May 2015
    So i share my opinion and take on what i watched in the pilot and you call me ignorant?

If this thread was not meant to house the opinions of others then why make it at all.

i stand by my initial conclussion upon watching the trailer that supergirl is nothing more then a reboot of superman using a female version with superman cameos to be sly about it.

Common seriously she is practically a female clark kent i mean seriosuly its just a new spin on an old story and they call it "New"

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111111327/3248582-facepalm-seriously.jpg
    edited May 2015

Its my opinion and if this thread was never meant to house personal opinion the OP shouldve stated that this was for fanboys only .

And furthermore this is a public forum if you dont people sharing thier views in opinions in difference to your own then i would suggest making your own forum for invitees only.
    edited May 2015
    Its my opinion and if this thread was never meant to house personal opinion the OP shouldve stated that this was for fanboys only .

And furthermore this is a public forum if you dont people sharing thier views in opinions in difference to your own then i would suggest making your own forum for invitees only.

You evidently don't know how ridiculous you appear. Your nerd card is revoked.

Do some reading up, there'll be a test later: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergirl
    edited May 2015
    You evidently don't know how ridiculous you appear. Your nerd card is revoked.

Do some reading up, there'll be a test later: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergirl

Nerd card indeed i dont even like marvel or Dc my problem is i shared my opinion and that opinion seems to have caused others to rage well...this is a public forum is it not?

It is a public venue in which to share opinions , ideas and views within the context of the forum rules is it not?

If this is not the case then i stand corrected but i would invite a forum mod to correct me if i am wrong for sharing my views and opinion on this topic if it was not meant for me to do so.

I say if you and the OP does not want to have people like me who do not share YOUR opinions and views on this topic to post ion this thread then a public forum is the wrong place for this discussion.