test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CBS unviels the extended look at Supergirl and it's...ehhhh

moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
I truly have no idea how I feel about this.

On the one hand, it looks like a total kick butt superhero show. The action sequences seem pretty cool and the effects are seemless and pop on screen.

On the other hand....Supergirl works at a magazine, which is the premise for HOW many CBS sitcoms in the past two years?

That's just cringe worthy.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
Post edited by moonshadowdark on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    To be fair, Supergirl has had numerous jobs over the last 65 years. She worked at a newspaper, she was an actress, she worked as a waitress, etc. Working as an assistant in a magazine is not that big of a stretch. I would have been more frustrated if they had her working at a newspaper again.

I will give it my customary 3 episode try.

I am more psyched about the new Titans - no Teen in the title - series coming on TNT. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited May 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

I'll give it to episode 7. Most series are given 6 episodes by the networks to get their sea legs.

By the way, the video actually changed my opinion. I was going into the viewing thinking this would be a waste of time, and left pleasantly pleased. Though I do see where the "working for the rude, obnoxious boss" routine will become very, very stale very, very quickly. That character better develop beyond a one dimensional character early on, or it will kill the show. J. Jonah Jameson has far more appeal.

EDIT: Oh, and the plane headed for the bridge sequence: I loved the humor as the writers took a jab at their genre.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    To be fair, Supergirl has had numerous jobs over the last 65 years. She worked at a newspaper, she was an actress, she worked as a waitress, etc. Working as an assistant in a magazine is not that big of a stretch. I would have been more frustrated if they had her working at a newspaper again.

I am more psyched about the new Titans - no Teen in the title - series coming on TNT. :)
    I fiot's a live-action show similar to Young Justice I will be so excited. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Looks like it'll actually be good from where I'm standing. A hell lot better than the grimdark DC Universe we're seeing in the movies at the very least.
    edited May 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Couldn't get past the first minute or two of this. Skipping it for sure. And since when is Jimmy Olsen an African American? Oy vey.... PC for the sake of PC.

You quit too early.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You quit too early.

This.

I'm glad I watched it!

Of course, not having traditional cable service I may never actually see it.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I liked webcartoonist Kris Straub's take on it, on Twitter:

"There were colors, and smiles, and she saved people. What kind of superhero show is this?"
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited May 2015
    No, no I didn't. This looks utterly horrible to me. Yet another garbage show IMO.
    Dude, if all you saw was the opening bit with Kara playing the part of Anne Hathaway's character in The Devil Wears Prada, then you did indeed quit way too early. It doesn't take long at all for Kara to embrace her power (saving her adopted sister from a plane crash, echoing the introduction of Superman in the first Chris Reeves movie) and start going about in the classic costume. (There's also a funny bit where the friend she's taken into her confidence realizes why she needs to wear a cape - and then starts trying to come up with a cape that won't get shredded every time she goes out.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited May 2015
    No, no I didn't. This looks utterly horrible to me. Yet another garbage show IMO.

Yes you did. You're wrong. And no it isn't.
    jonsills wrote: »
    I liked webcartoonist Kris Straub's take on it, on Twitter:

"There were colors, and smiles, and she saved people. What kind of superhero show is this?"

Hahahahahaha! Yeah. This is exactly what superheroes should be.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It actually looks interesting

I'm not upset that Jimmy is black Cause well it's 2015 and you gotta be really backward to care about that... what I don't like is he is very charming and has charisma I like my Jimmy being awkward, and Nerdy especially when Supergirl is involved.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    It actually looks interesting

I'm not upset that Jimmy is black Cause well it's 2015 and you gotta be really backward to care about that... what I don't like is he is very charming and has charisma I like my Jimmy being awkward, and Nerdy especially when Supergirl is involved.
    It's like making the Kingpin black.... It's not the traditional take on the character, but... ethnicity is not part of what defiens the character.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited May 2015
    Besides, if he's good at the role, why the hell not?
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Bajorans
    GwaoHAD.png
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Nope, you didn't stop too soon...and...ugh, I wish I had stopped at that point. It only got worse. /facepalm
    Dude, if all you saw was the opening bit with Kara playing the part of Anne Hathaway's character in The Devil Wears Prada, then you did indeed quit way too early. It doesn't take long at all for Kara to embrace her power (saving her adopted sister from a plane crash, echoing the introduction of Superman in the first Chris Reeves movie) and start going about in the classic costume. (There's also a funny bit where the friend she's taken into her confidence realizes why she needs to wear a cape - and then starts trying to come up with a cape that won't get shredded every time she goes out.)

It might have been great...if I was a 12 year old girl.

edit: No, maybe a 9 or 10 year old girl...it's that bad.

edit2: Unless that's the intended audience, in which case it will be awesome - the best Supergirl ever and the fans will love it.
    edited May 2015
    Nope, you didn't stop too soon...and...ugh, I wish I had stopped at that point. It only got worse. /facepalm

It might have been great...if I was a 12 year old girl.
    You'll find as you get older that the "studied cynicism" thing starts to really suck. It's okay to like things, and to have a sense of wonder about stuff. It's okay to have fun.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited May 2015
    You'll find as you get older that the "studied cynicism" thing starts to really suck. It's okay to like things, and to have a sense of wonder about stuff. It's okay to have fun.

Hrmm, so with me being 43...that will kick in when I'm in my 50s...my 60s...my 70s?

Course, having reached this point...I've already learned that fun means different things to different people...and one doesn't have to force their fun on others. Is that something one forgets as they get older?
    edited May 2015

I'll certainly second that, even though I'm nowhere near as ancient as you are. You can only do the mono-color grimdark thing for so long before it starts becoming stale.
    edited May 2015
    This comment from one of the news sites that announced the trailer kind of sums it up...
    I thought it was a parody, but they just kept going with it.

It's not about it not being dark (though guess what, she's going to be fighting supervillains and trying to save the people of the city - Hell, she saved the plane, yeah? there's going to be bad TRIBBLE happening that she's going to be stopping)...it's just that it's so...out there...it does look like a parody. Couldn't help but think it was like 13 Going On 30 meets The Devil Wears Prada with a mix of Kim Possible and super powers.

edit: In the end though, it doesn't really matter what I think in the least - cause there's no way I'm anywhere near the intended audience for such a show. Hell, I only actually posted in this thread because folks were denying valoreah an opinion...which was just damn trippy.

edit2: It's damn trippy reading the mixed responses too, just goes to show that different folks thing - folks watching the same thing and having completely opposite reactions. "Strong female lead!" vs. "Why couldn't they have gone with a strong female lead?" stuff...it's a trip.
    edited May 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    This.

I'm glad I watched it!

Of course, not having traditional cable service I may never actually see it.
    Supergirl will be on CBS. That is a "free" channel so as long as you have an antenna you should be able to watch it. You should also be able to watch it on their website if you do cannot receive the signal.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited May 2015
    I do not really have a horse in this race but as a father of a young daughter I am glad she will have a female superhero to watch that is not ultra-violet or seemingly angst-ridden about her powers. So if she likes it I will happily watch it with her even if I am bored to death. :)

There are plenty of other angry bad-TRIBBLE women in supers shows to keep me busy. Heck, Caity Lotz is going to be in Legends of Tomorrow as White Canary. She was my favorite Black Canary, so all is good. :)
    edited May 2015
    So they could replace Supergirl with a Middle Eastern transgender Hindu circus dwarf with aspergers syndrome so long as they are good in the part?
    I do not remember you being this upset when Nick Fury was replaced with a black actor - we love you Sam Jackson! :)

Comics, back in the day, were a very white society thing. Black characters were few and far between for pre-70s comics. I have no issue with characters races being changed to better reflect a 21st Century society.
    edited May 2015
    There were people of all races, colors and genders pre-70s too. You also had characters like Luke Cage, Black Panther, Falcon, Ms. Marvel etc.
    Luke Cage first appearance, 1972.
    Falcon's first appearance: September, 1969.
    Captain Marvel's first appearance (Monica Rambeau): 1982.
    Black Panther's first appearance: 1966

And those are all Marvel characters. Most of the Black DC character changes came much later. John Stewart, Cyborg, etc.

So I will say it again, pre-70 Black Characters were few and far between.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So they could replace Supergirl with a Middle Eastern transgender Hindu circus dwarf with aspergers syndrome so long as they are good in the part?
    Well, if she's good in the role, she's good in the role. It's tautological. It seems a bit questionable to compare having physical and mental challenges to having a different skin colors. THe latter is more a "social" challenge, in some areas.

And quite frankly... To many characters in comic books are white, because that was a "default assumption". Because it was a default assumption, it's not a defining feature, and can be easily changed.

I mean, come on, the original characters were mostly 2-dimensional paintings, and now they are suddenly played by 3-dimensional people? Will no one think of the ink?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Supergirl will be on CBS. That is a "free" channel so as long as you have an antenna you should be able to watch it. You should also be able to watch it on their website if you do cannot receive the signal.

Unless you live outside the US, in which case, you can't get the cahnnel and the website won't play. Yes, I know, there are other ways. Just saying.

Personally, I loved this trailer. It looks fun, exciting, and light on the angst. That's how I like my superheroes. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the more emotional aspects, the heavier stuff when they do them, but not for the constant show. I like the joyful escapism.

Looking at this, it seems like Clark is already operating as Superman and Jimmy is aware of who he is. With such developments, it's plausible why Jimmy isn't awkward. Although.... I wonder if Jimmy is just going to be a guest star in the pilot?

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'