test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CBS unviels the extended look at Supergirl and it's...ehhhh

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Your opinion is based in total, intransigent ignorance. Worse, you appear to be unwilling to correct your ignorance.

Sure, Supergirl's just a gender-swap reboot of Superman. And Star Trek's just a reboot of Lost In Space, right? They both have spaceships, after all. :rolleyes:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Your opinion is based in total, intransigent ignorance. Worse, you appear to be unwilling to correct your ignorance.

Sure, Supergirl's just a gender-swap reboot of Superman. And Star Trek's just a reboot of Lost In Space, right? They both have spaceships, after all. :rolleyes:

Star Wars is just King Arthur in space.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Nerd card indeed i dont even like marvel or Dc my problem is i shared my opinion and that opinion seems to have caused others to rage well...this is a public forum is it not?

It is a public venue in which to share opinions , ideas and views within the context of the forum rules is it not?

If this is not the case then i stand corrected but i would invite a forum mod to correct me if i am wrong for sharing my views and opinion on this topic if it was not meant for me to do so.

I say if you and the OP does not want to have people like me who do not share YOUR opinions and views on this topic to post ion this thread then a public forum is the wrong place for this discussion.

Pretty much this. You were ignorant of a pre-existing character, made an ill-conceived opinion on that ignorance, and refuse to alleviate that ignorance. Anything further would just be willful stupidity or trolling.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Pretty much this. You were ignorant of a pre-existing character, made an ill-conceived opinion on that ignorance, and refuse to alleviate that ignorance. Anything further would just be willful stupidity or trolling.

This thread is...unbelievable...it's just lmfaotastic.

I mean, seriously, it's just so over the top...it's got to be a put on - a parody - intentionally as funny as it's coming off.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wow, just wow guys...
    Until now i thought different opinons would be respected on this forum.
    But it's good to know how things get handled here, i rather keep my opinion for myself.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
    edited May 2015
    yreodred wrote: »
    Wow, just wow guys...
    But it's good to know how things get handled here, i rather keep my opinion for myself.
    As a wise man once said, "Every man is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    As a wise man once said, "Every man is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."
    No reason not to respect a persons opinion, if it's right or wrong (in case of a TV SERIES!).

Sorry man but you guys should take it easy a bit, seriously it's not funny anymore.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
    edited May 2015
    No reason not to respect a persons opinion, if it's right or wrong (in case of a TV SERIES!).
    I cannot respect a refusal to learn. And this not being a "reboot of Superman" is not an opinion, it is a fact (as is the repeated mention in that trailer of Kara's cousin, who is encouraging her to explore her gifts. That'd be Superman, as established in the comics sometime in the '50s).

Not liking it? That's an opinion. Not liking the casting of a black man as James Olsen? That's an opinion (an ill-informed one, but then that's my opinion of the opinion, not necessarily a statement of fact). But claiming that Supergirl is "a reboot of Superman" is not an opinion, it is a contrafactual statement. I merely provide further information, and fail to respect anyone who declines to partake of it.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited May 2015
    Wow, just wow guys...

Since when did ignorance become an opinion?
  • rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Since when did ignorance become an opinion?

Ooooookay... I think it's about time for somebody to lock this... :|
    76561198032353876.png
    edited May 2015
    rooster707 wrote: »
    Ooooookay... I think it's about time for somebody to lock this... :|

What? You don't think failing to recognize that the TV show is centered on an existing character with 57 years of history is ignorance? Or do you actually think that ignorance is an opinion?
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This thread has went from a sharing of opinions and views to "we flame and attack all those who dont share the same opinions of the new supergirl show as we do".

Its a wonder this thread is still up i mean how can this be taken as a serious thread when you differ from what others think and you get flamed and attacked. :rolleyes:
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited May 2015

That's kinda the basic premise of the character... The original came about from a wish made by Olsen. Olsen literally wished for a female version of Superman. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited May 2015
    That's kinda the basic premise of the character... The original came about from a wish made by Olsen. Olsen literally wished for a female version of Superman. :P
    Although, in the Notes section of that article...
    This version of Super-Girl is not to be confused with Superman's cousin Kara Zor-El, or any other variant counterparts to the character.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited May 2015
    And yet your comparisons have always gone to things like "a female Asian dwarf with Down's syndrome", as if that were of exactly the same degree as Olsen being black. It doesn't sound good, dude.

And being married to someone whose skin tone doesn't match yours doesn't mean you're not racist. I can show you a number of relationships where that's not true - hell, one of my nieces has been the victim of such relationships a couple of times (not as far as marriage, thank heavens; they showed their true selves earlier than that).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2015
    Supergirl is

A teenager , Blond and blue eye's................Period

Jimmy olsen is a white guy nerdy and comic relief...........Period

Changing canon doesn't go over well.......Just look at JJs mess

This new supergirl will suffer the same as ST has lowering its potentional popularity when if they wanted to add more characters they should have just added new characters

Not change canon characters

You don't ride the coat tails of canon and then change canon doing it

Ask JJ
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    im kinda confused as to how cbs bring this new "TRIBBLE" stuff out and leave the real gems in the box, unpoloished and covered in centuries of dust, for ex. star trek. what a waste.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited May 2015
    But the actors Abrams cast in his movies were as close as physically possible to the originals, to the point that I won't be surprised if Chris Pine wears a hairpiece in his thirties. And you hate those too.

And why does Supergirl have to be this blonde, blue-eyed white chick? She's an alien - why is it important that she look like that in particular?

For that matter, was anyone this upset when Hugh Jackman was cast as Wolverine, despite the fact that he's clearly fully a foot taller than Logan? (Seriously, until the last few years Wolvie's height has been repeatedly commented upon in the comics - if exact physical similarity is that important, shouldn't you be outraged that a 5' 2" character is being played by a 6' 2" actor? From Australia rather than Canada, no less?) And while I haven't seen Days of Future Passed yet, the glimpse we saw of Colossus in X2 sure didn't sound Russian to me...

Or is it only important when it's the "Aryan ideal" that's not being followed to the letter? And if so, again, where's the outrage about Dean Cain?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    But the actors Abrams cast in his movies were as close as physically possible to the originals, to the point that I won't be surprised if Chris Pine wears a hairpiece in his thirties. And you hate those too.

And why does Supergirl have to be this blonde, blue-eyed white chick? She's an alien - why is it important that she look like that in particular?

For that matter, was anyone this upset when Hugh Jackman was cast as Wolverine, despite the fact that he's clearly fully a foot taller than Logan? (Seriously, until the last few years Wolvie's height has been repeatedly commented upon in the comics - if exact physical similarity is that important, shouldn't you be outraged that a 5' 2" character is being played by a 6' 2" actor? From Australia rather than Canada, no less?) And while I haven't seen Days of Future Passed yet, the glimpse we saw of Colossus in X2 sure didn't sound Russian to me...

Or is it only important when it's the "Aryan ideal" that's not being followed to the letter? And if so, again, where's the outrage about Dean Cain?

+1

/10chars
    76561198032353876.png
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd watch a show starring Val-Zod (the black Superman of Earth 2).
    w8xekp.jpg
    edited May 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Perhaps you should read my post again. My wife is of a different race than I am. I didn't say I just casually know someone.

Some folk are so wrapped in up trying to sound so modern, so intelligent and try and put themselves above everyone else that they get blinded by their own stupidity and ignorance. Nothing I said in this thread has anything to do with hatred of one race or another. I simply don't like changing canon for for the sake of change.

If they made Jimmy Olsen a girl, I wouldn't like it. If they made Jimmy Olsen a dwarf, I wouldn't like it. If they made Jimmy Olsen a space alien with three head, I wouldn't like it. A couple of people responded to this thread by saying that changing Supergirl (or Superman) would be a big deal. To someone like myself, changing core characters (and yes I believe Jimmy Olsen is a central figure to Superman) is a big deal.

If you disagree, then disagree. Calling someone a bigot because of that just makes you an idiot.

What if they made Jimmy Olsen a crossdresser?

Oh wait, that's already canon.
    edited May 2015
    And if so, again, where's the outrage about Dean Cain?

There's always outrage about Dean Cain...but er...what's the outrage supposed to be about Dean Cain in reference to this thread?
    edited May 2015
    There's always outrage about Dean Cain...but er...what's the outrage supposed to be about Dean Cain in reference to this thread?
    Born Dean Tanaka, his father is Japanese. According to the outrage about changes in character appearance, his portrayal of Clark Kent/Superman for four seasons of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman should have had us all up in arms. Haven't seen any sign of that, though.

Change Kara Zor-El's hair and eye color, though, or James Olsen's skin color...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • aceofspades99999aceofspades99999 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    have any of you realized that within the next 5 years your cable station and your wallet will be an "on order" if you wanna see euro's making cheeze in eruope"order" if you wanna see the american big assed kardasian cluster "order" just watch my friends and keep your mommy's wallets open, it's comming to an area near you:P
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    yet, the glimpse we saw of Colossus in X2 sure didn't sound Russian to me...

To be honest, this did irk me somewhat. I know he was only a minor character in X2, but he played a bigger role in X3. His name is Piotr. He should have been Russian. At least have the accent. The rest of his casting was fine. But I missed the accent. Just to clarify, would have been fine if a black actor was playing him, as long as he had the accent.

It's like when Michael Clarke Duncan was cast as Kingpin. I remember people up in arms about him then. Personally, I thought he was perfect for Kingpin.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    edited May 2015
    Born Dean Tanaka, his father is Japanese. According to the outrage about changes in character appearance, his portrayal of Clark Kent/Superman for four seasons of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman should have had us all up in arms. Haven't seen any sign of that, though.

But...his father wasn't Japanese.

Robocop...that's not Murphy.
    Conan...that's not Conan.
    Total Recall...that's not Hauser.
    One can go through countless reboots/remakes...and there are going to be complaints from folks that had previously watched something or were tied into the IP's fandom in some way.

Folks like to make it about anything but that for some reason...

Hell, it's like the whole FF thing...it's not just the Human Torch...the whole cast is wrong. Cause that's not the FF.

Etc, etc, etc...
    edited May 2015

But...his father wasn't Japanese.

Robocop...that's not Murphy.
    Conan...that's not Conan.
    Total Recall...that's not Hauser.
    One can go through countless reboots/remakes...and there are going to be complaints from folks that had previously watched something or were tied into the IP's fandom in some way.

Folks like to make it about anything but that for some reason...

Hell, it's like the whole FF thing...it's not just the Human Torch...the whole cast is wrong. Cause that's not the FF.

Etc, etc, etc...

well since i only look at this thread as troll bait might aswell have some fun

Dean Cain?
    edited May 2015
    I mean, seriously, with that trailer...if they hadn't shown James again at the end, I'd completely forgotten about him as the trailer went along because of just how bad everything else was.

Going through and cherry-picking somebody's complaints to try to make them out to be something they're not - perhaps in an attempt to render the rest of their complaints meaningless...that's just pathetic.
    edited May 2015
    I mean, seriously, with that trailer...if they hadn't shown James again at the end, I'd completely forgotten about him as the trailer went along because of just how bad everything else was.

Going through and cherry-picking somebody's complaints to try to make them out to be something they're not - perhaps in an attempt to render the rest of their complaints meaningless...that's just pathetic.

The biggest problem is virus is that the fanboys see a pretty girl and all other arguements no matter how plausible or correct are invalid because of female anatomy.

This is why i stopped taking this thread serious i made an opinion based on what i saw and was dutifully flamed and shamed for expressing it on a public forum.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The biggest problem is virus is that the fanboys see a pretty girl and all other arguements no matter how plausible or correct are invalid because of female anatomy.

This is why i stopped taking this thread serious i made an opinion based on what i saw and was dutifully flamed and shamed for expressing it on a public forum.

I'm just going to chime in on something. Your original post came across like you were claiming that Supergirl was a new character created just for this show. That's what ticked people off, because Kara Zhor'el has become a very distinct character from Superman since her inception, and isn't (in her present form) just a gender-swapped 'reboot' of Superman.

She's more similar to M2 Spider-Girl or Marvel 616's X-23 - Same powers as the original but different in many ways. in the first case, May Parker was Peter Parker's daughter, while X-23 is a female clone of Wolverine who came to see Wolverine as a father-figure.

The key difference is Kara is Kal-El's cousin and the two had a strong familial relationship before either of them were sent to Earth.

Back to my original point, it's not your dislike of the show, I think, that's ticked people off, but the fact that your original post came off as suggesting Supergirl never existed until this show, when in reality she's been around for about 40 years and has a rich and unique backstory. To be clear, I'm not even a DC fan. I have nothing against them, I've just never had a chance to get into them, whereas I grew up with Marvel. I'd be just as upset (though I'd still understand why) if someone treated Spider-girl as a gender-swapped reboot of Spider-Man. Unless you already know the character, that's exactly what it would seem like.