test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I'd forgotten how utterly terrible the entire DS9 episode is.

Comments

• Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    personally I never found collesium to make much sense....if it was hakeev's facility and slamek was his spy, then the escape was a ruse in order to...what? lure you in another trap (you were already captured) so he could kill you away from his own base?

the whole slamek betrayl comes off as a plot twist for the sake of having a plot twist regardless of whether it makes sense or not

If you read his logs in the room with the Gateway, you'll see he was collecting psychological information on various species in the Galaxy. He was most likely watching as you resist capture and attempt escape as part of a psychological profile. That's what the plot twist was. You weren't actually escaping like you thought you were, it was just a test. After you were "caught" he was finally done with you. Luckily your crew is good at what they do.
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you read his logs in the room with the Gateway, you'll see he was collecting psychological information on various species in the Galaxy. He was most likely watching as you resist capture and attempt escape as part of a psychological profile. That's what the plot twist was. You weren't actually escaping like you thought you were, it was just a test. After you were "caught" he was finally done with you. Luckily your crew is good at what they do.

Yeah, that was always my underlying assumption there.

Besides that, it plays a nice homage to Star Trek VI as it is.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »
    The ridiculously long Slamek-walk is a pain. That's really the big issue with Colliseum. It's not a terrible mission, but... Slamek-walk.

Agreed 100% ^^^^

The missions itself is really good but when you have to do a walk about on nopada with slamek thats when it becomes tedious and boring.

Especially when i dont even get a chance to shoot the slime ball at the end ...talking slamek here common devs atleast let us kill slamek for crying out loud.
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Not sure what the purpose of that would be. Building the psychological profile of someone you intend to kill seems like a waste of time
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Not sure what the purpose of that would be. Building the psychological profile of someone you intend to kill seems like a waste of time

Hakeev wasn't doing it for himself. He was doing it for the benefit of the Iconians.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited April 2015

He was studying a Starfleet/KDF or Republic Officer. It's not like he wasn't going to encounter more Starfleet/KDF or Republic Officers after he killed you.
  • Options
    carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No. I don't care enough to document everything. Its all awful.

Just looking at the first part with the satellite, it could be flushed and the mission would be better off for it.

1) beam over with away team who do absolutely nothing but interfere with your movement

2) start calc.exe and flip in and out of the game to answer too many math questions. Purposefully breaking rhythm like this is horrible design. Somebody who tabs out might just stay out.

3) away team beams out then you are intercepted ... a very poor segue to the real mission.

Every stage of it is bad for different reasons but overall the thing feels like it was built of spare mission parts that were lying around. Hey we have this satellite thing, this arena thing, this desert thing, lets glue them together with Slamek and Hakeev. The overall arc is mish-mash of poor design and execution (other than the outside scenery at the shipwreck, which is good as usual)

I recruited a new player to play STO and have been popping in missions here and there to help with my friend, forgotten most of these mission tbh and yes, its a weirdly paced and overly drawn out mission with parts that feel out of place.

The whole satellite part feels totally unneeded and is tedious. The parts in the desert have too much empty running around. Best part is in the actual prison and should be refocused on.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    personally I never found collesium to make much sense....if it was hakeev's facility and slamek was his spy, then the escape was a ruse in order to...what? lure you in another trap (you were already captured) so he could kill you away from his own base?

the whole slamek betrayl comes off as a plot twist for the sake of having a plot twist regardless of whether it makes sense or not

They have made that part of Hakeev's personality. He's recognized as doing pointless things because he wants to be seen as dramatic.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    amezuki wrote: »
    With absolutely no good explanation for why all these energy weapons that you have and can use both before and after the arena battles, somehow cannot be used during them.
    There's a dampening field around the colliseum. You switch it off in the gateway room.
    Don't even get me started on the tedious slog that is the entire Wasteland episode. So. Much. Unnecessary. Walking.
    What's wrong with Nimbus? I love that part. It's a beautiful zone, very immersive and you can rise through about 5 Levels in record speed (compared to regular missions)
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    And shooting scorpions is FUN! :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The original DS9 Episodic storyline was TRIBBLE until they introduced 2800 expansion.

The True Way was true TRIBBLE... will never accept that as the Dominion became after the war in off-shoots.

The whole Cardassian arc could indeed do with a revamp/remaster to make sense in the overall scheme, and just be a whole lot more interesting with the Dominjon stuff... I don't mind the Pah-Wraith cult stuff personally cuz I found them interesting to some degree during the show's run. Perhaps the Pah-wraiths could ally with the Iconians in some way lol
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    gordon1980gordon1980 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I agree, the arc needs updated, but as with the other arcs...only a couple of the episodes actually annoy the heck out of me.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    The original DS9 Episodic storyline was TRIBBLE until they introduced 2800 expansion.

The True Way was true TRIBBLE... will never accept that as the Dominion became after the war in off-shoots.

The whole Cardassian arc could indeed do with a revamp/remaster to make sense in the overall scheme, and just be a whole lot more interesting with the Dominjon stuff... I don't mind the Pah-Wraith cult stuff personally cuz I found them interesting to some degree during the show's run. Perhaps the Pah-wraiths could ally with the Iconians in some way lol
    The True Way is a collection of rat-tag misfits who have been shunned by both the Cardassian government AND the Dominion. They're not supported by either side, and the Founders told the Feds to treat them as criminals.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Please do enumerate them.... but be warned, if it's whining about ground combat, you may get mocked mercilessly for sucking.
    There's a big difference between sucking at the game because you suck, and finding an aspect of it so unenjoyable and poorly-designed that you do the absolute bare minimum necessary to slog through any sequences where it's mandatory for any length of time.

I've been playing competitive FP/TP shooters for over 20 years, and squad-based tactical shooters for almost as long. My skill level is fine, thanks for asking. I just find the implementation of it in this game so poor, so clunky, that I have zero motivation to put in the time that would be needed to be even minimally competitive at it. I just want to get it over and done with.

With regard to Coliseum, there are multiple very specific gameplay and conveyance problems with the mission:
    • It combines what really should be two separate missions into one, which means having to start over from the very beginning if you get to the arena and find out that your current build and available weapons means you're screwed.
    • It pulls a bait-and-switch on the player's expectations of how much time and effort they are committing to by taking the mission, appearing to be a normal patrol mission that the player completes in the usual amount of time for such a thing, and then suddenly changing a fraction of the way through into an extremely long kidnapping mission where the player can't go anywhere or do anything until it's done.
    • It disables the player's usual ranged weapons and forces you to use a single melee type during the arena, which is a gameplay trope that almost always annoys players--and is an especially indefensible design choice in a game where speccing purely for space and ranged combat is not only a legitimate build, but the one the overwhelming majority of players can be expected to have.
    • It provides absolutely no in-game explanation for why the player can't use their ranged weapons during the arena battles--especially since those weapons are available immediately upon leaving the arena, which makes the above trope even more incomprehensible and frustrating for the player.
    • The last few arena battles are almost impossible to win with the default trash weapons you're given unless you are specced for and excellent at ground combat--which most players aren't. The only way I was able to get through the Mugato battle was by spamming Lunge (which I was lucky to have learned by mistake) and running away until its cooldown timer was up.
    • Progressing requires a very annoying conversation tree with a touchy NPC who quits the conversation and makes you start it all over if you give him the wrong response, which is largely a matter of trial and error even after you realize that you need to respect his fee-fees.
    • As if the arena wasn't tedious enough, just when the player thinks they're done with this TRIBBLE, they have to go through an extended escape sequence on the planet surface that features a ridiculous amount of one the most tedious and un-fun activities in STO: walking from point A to point B.
    • Said ridiculous amount of walking includes a fairly egregiously long list of clickies that you have to track down and find, then return to an NPC who's actual position is not marked on your map, making him extremely hard to find in the dark if he's bugged out and left his default position (which he did twice for me).
    • The SP/Exp rewards are not sufficient for the time that the mission takes or its difficulty level, and the item reward is a TRIBBLE shield that is only useful as a cosmetic item or if your existing shield is TRIBBLE.

I really could go on. This is a terrible mission filled with bad design issues. There really is no saving it short of completely redesigning it from scratch as two separate missions. That some people still enjoy it despite those issues doesn't make them not exist.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • Options
    fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Worst part for me replaying the missions is being reminded how bad most of it is.

Really bad cut scenes, terrible Voice Overs, nearly all the VO's is so bad its embarrassing.

Plus replaying alot of it makes me think 'never again', like mentioned the ds9 arc, anything to do with the Dyson arc too, thats all just tedious and horrible to play.

Mission wise i dont think theres actually many i like, most of it is tedious and so badly done imo.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I've been playing competitive FP/TP shooters for over 20 years, and squad-based tactical shooters for almost as long. My skill level is fine, thanks for asking.
    Actually... this game isn't a shooter FP or otherwise, sooo.... I'd say you're overestimating your skill level.

Ground combat is more comparable to Diablo 2 imo. And yes, I used to play that game a LOT.

So yeah... none of the things in your list has any merit IMO.

It DOES have an explanation for why you can't use ranged, but you apparently didn't read it.

There is no such thing as "speccing for ranged combat". There is no ground skill specifically for boosting melee damage. Tacs have a skill for boosting all ground damage, including melee, but not specifically melee. So those of us who are good at melee(such as myself) aren't "specced for it" either.

And really.... bait-and-switch? HAH! did you really think a mission named "Coliseum" was going to take place inside a satellite? The first time I played it I guessed that the mission wasn't over when I was done on the satellite. Mainly because the mission description gives it away.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    geminisierrageminisierra Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    • It provides absolutely no in-game explanation for why the player can't use their ranged weapons during the arena battles--especially since those weapons are available immediately upon leaving the arena, which makes the above trope even more incomprehensible and frustrating for the player.
    • The last few arena battles are almost impossible to win with the default trash weapons you're given unless you are specced for and excellent at ground combat--which most players aren't. The only way I was able to get through the Mugato battle was by spamming Lunge (which I was lucky to have learned by mistake) and running away until its cooldown timer was up.

I believe and will probably eventually find out again with the DR recruits, but the premise of the mission is that you are kidnapped and thrown in the arena. Thus... you are stripped of your weapons... they're generous that they left you your kit (I think)... but that's the reason you get the basic melee weapons.

As for the fights, depending on your weapon of choice, probably, the use of the combos can quickly damage all the foes. I don't spec for ground missions specifically, but am a general spec kind of person where I balance space and ground (although my DR recruits are going to focus on ground :D )... I didn't have a hard time with the arena fights

as for the last part, I do kind of agree that the long run to the end is boring, and could probably use a remake.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    There's a dampening field around the colliseum. You switch it off in the gateway room.
    No -good- explanation. The whole "dampening field" gimmick was full of plot holes you could fly a Typhoon through. Not the least of which being that well before this point in time Starfleet had begun deprecating old-style phasers in favor of the regenerative variety that were supposedly unaffected by damping fields. The advent of regenerative phasers is part of why the TR-116 project was abandoned, as it was no longer necessary to field an otherwise inferior projectile weapon whose only benefit was being unaffected by dampening fields and radiogenic environments.

And regardless of how it's hand-waved in-universe, taking away a player's equipment and forcing them to use a minority attack type for which most players aren't specced or geared is still an extremely annoying gameplay trope that should generally be avoided.
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    What's wrong with Nimbus? I love that part. It's a beautiful zone, very immersive and you can rise through about 5 Levels in record speed (compared to regular missions)
    This:
    So. Much. Unnecessary. Walking.
    Going on foot from point A to point B is one of the single most boring and tedious things in STO (or really, in just about -any- MMO), and there is an egregious amount of it in that whole episode. The map is huge, and you have to backtrack back and forth across the entire length of it multiple times, with the only saving grace being the ability to beam back to the city once you're far enough away from it. I'd go so far to say that walking constitutes the vast majority of the time consumed by the Wasteland missions.

After about five minutes of staring at a screen full of brown desert while my avatar trots along at his painfully slow running speed, I stop caring about the environment.
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • Options
    adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I just realize how this total game is a drag if you have to start from scratch an alt without that Delta Recruit stuff. You never get the items according your alt, if you get anything near that might be helpful without spending loads of EC's. Loads of batteries, food (Devil's Kitchen Online), lockboxes, hyposprays and such by the dozens, but effective gear is a big NADA.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    There is no such thing as "speccing for ranged combat". There is no ground skill specifically for boosting melee damage. Tacs have a skill for boosting all ground damage, including melee, but not specifically melee. So those of us who are good at melee(such as myself) aren't "specced for it" either.

based on a recent thread about melee fighting... there does seem to be ways to specificly "spec" for ground combat... items and kits that give bonus to melee, crt-d, crit-h and racial bonus too...

but you really have to work at it...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    based on a recent thread about melee fighting... there does seem to be ways to specificly "spec" for ground combat... items and kits that give bonus to melee, crt-d, crit-h and racial bonus too...

That's GEAR, not skills.

Granted, the bonus it gives you in this scenario is enormous. But you get an equally powerful bonus from using a good melee weapon and not one of the common garbage weapons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    That's GEAR, not skills.

Granted, the bonus it gives you in this scenario is enormous. But you get an equally powerful bonus from using a good melee weapon and not one of the common garbage weapons.

It's not just GEAR that I was referring, there are skill and traits that help with everything I mentioned too... I'd list them but I don't have access to the game right now.. or the wiki...

and... the "skill" is knowing the combos to make any ground weapon cause more damage, beyond the swing and hit... I also find it depends on weapon type... for example, I really like the swords and the ability to "rush" to a target with the attack.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Actually... this game isn't a shooter FP or otherwise
    You are mistaken. The ground gameplay is squarely in the squad-based tactical shooter genre, where you control a small NPC squad which acts independently unless you give them orders to use specific powers, while having a more granular level of control over a single POV character. It is most comparable to the ground combat of games like KOTOR, Mass Effect or Dragon Age. The game even has an alternate set of controls called "shooter mode", although frankly it's not very well-implemented.
    I'd say you're overestimating your skill level.
    I can't even begin to tell you how much your blind assessment of the skill level of a random stranger on the Internet means to me.

Your opinion is noted and filed in the appropriate drawer.
    Ground combat is more comparable to Diablo 2 imo. And yes, I used to play that game a LOT.
    More than two years on Battle.net, multiple 99 characters running cows and bosses daily before I burned out. STO is not an overhead iso ARPG. What STO's squad gameplay has in common with, say, Diablo/PoE/TQ/GD or any other similar isometric ARPG can fit on a postage stamp. I'm not sure what superficial similarity you're keying off of, but this comparison is very... unique.
    It DOES have an explanation for why you can't use ranged, but you apparently didn't read it.
    See other post. The explanation is a poor one with plenty of holes that isn't sufficient to sustain SoD or justify the prolonged tedium of the gimmick.
    There is no such thing as "speccing for ranged combat".
    What are you talking about? That's exactly what the Weapon Proficiency skill common to all career paths does; it specifically boosts ranged ground weapons and not melee. Speccing for melee, in terms of skill point allocation, would mean ignoring or minimizing points spent in that skill and focusing them more on skills that increase survivability.

As well, your "spec" isn't just about where you spend your skill points--it's which powers and abilities you choose to train, and what equipment loadouts you focus on upgrading and keeping on hand. This is the first point in the game for non-Klingons where melee combat is mandatory; anyone who isn't interested in it is unlikely to even bother having a melee weapon around, because they've been given no reason whatsoever to expect to need to.

Springing a twist like this on a player and putting them in a position to fail because they haven't acquired some skill or item that the game had given them no reason to think would be required to progress is a serious failure of conveyance. This is a fairly fundamental principle in game design. I encourage you to do some reading on the subject.
    And really.... bait-and-switch? HAH! did you really think a mission named "Coliseum" was going to take place inside a satellite? The first time I played it I guessed that the mission wasn't over when I was done on the satellite. Mainly because the mission description gives it away.
    Good for you. Want a cookie? Some of us don't read the full description deliberately to avoid spoilers. And Given the frequently-oblique relationship between the name of the mission and what takes place during the mission, I tend not to make assumptions about how significant the name is. For all I knew, "Coliseum" would turn out to be the name of a starship or relate to a lore detail that gets uncovered on the starbase computer.
    So yeah... none of the things in your list has any merit IMO.
    Thanks for the heads up. Between your mind-reading skill assessment, the comical apples-and-oranges Diablo 2 comparison, and your unwillingness to admit that the mission even has any flaws at all, I appreciate being given sufficient reason to waste no further time on your opinions.

Cheers.
  • Options
    flesson616flesson616 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I skip the whole story except for faciility 4028, 3 great doffs and a boff for an easy mission is awesome.
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    olessius wrote: »
    It's bad. It's SO bad. If I knew how, I would actually cheat my way past it while awarding my character twice the skill points and Dilithium this episode is worth (which still wouldn't be as bad it sounds since half of its thirteen (thirteen!) missions award less than half of what any mission from, say, Romulan Mystery would).

But not only are they not rewarding - they are also excruciatingly long and tedious. One mission will have you single-handedly clearing out a small armada before beaming down to a planet and running to four widely placed objectives on an unnecessarily large map filled with trash mobs before entering an unnecessarily large underground complex which is also filled with an unnecessary amount of trash mobs before beaming back out to space and fighting back a three-part ambush.

Yes, what I just wrote was a run-on sentence, and I did so because it felt like the most fitting way to describe what is essentially a run-on mission.

Just like EVERY OTHER MISSION IN THIS INCREDIBLY LONG, TEDIOUS AND UNREWARDING EPISODE IS.

And frankly, as I play these utterly, infuriatingly awful missions, I find myself wondering how the person or people who made them could possibly have thought that they'd actually be fun to play. Were they actually even supposed to be fun?

So please, PLEASE give Delta Recruits the ability to skip a single episode while still receiving its corresponding assignment completion. Please, I beg you. Beyond all the bugs in the game, this is the one thing that I cannot stomach.

Please don't make me play through this absolute freaking TRAVESTY of an episode on another Delta Recruit.

The new episode is coming said by Al Rivera himself but not known when I hope soon because I agree its ugly compared to the rest off the game....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    STO is not an overhead iso ARPG. What STO's squad gameplay has in common with, say, Diablo/PoE/TQ/GD or any other similar isometric ARPG can fit on a postage stamp. I'm not sure what superficial similarity you're keying off of, but this comparison is very... unique.
    It uses a mix of single target and AoE skills not just "point and shoot", Meteor and Plasma Grenade are an example of skills that strike me as being very similar. Both games have options for summoning various sorts of minions to help you in battle, either static, or mobile depending on the skill. I could draw a long list of comparisons, but I think I've made my point.
    Thanks for the heads up. Between your mind-reading skill assessment, the comical apples-and-oranges Diablo 2 comparison, and your unwillingness to admit that the mission even has any flaws at all, I appreciate being given sufficient reason to waste no further time on your opinions.

Cheers.
    Given that you whined about the difficulty of a mission that I have no problems completing.... and your disdain for any and all suggestions on how to do it better.... Obviously, you were never planning to listen to anyone's advice ever.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Tac can spec for combat, including melee combat. Do people now that melee combat has combos? 1-1-2, the final hit has a crit of +300% crit chance. Let Slamek take aggro from the Mugato, flank it and do your combo.

Here is a link

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Melee

Colloseum. At first the mission looks fun, because of the different setting. After fleeing though the pace is gone. Not only is it a long run to the cave, but you also have to crisscross the map to pick up plants. If this kind of action was in a movie or TV show, the director would cut it. It is like wiping your nose, taking sand out of your shoes. Things like this do not add to the drama.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This:

Going on foot from point A to point B is one of the single most boring and tedious things in STO (or really, in just about -any- MMO), and there is an egregious amount of it in that whole episode. The map is huge, and you have to backtrack back and forth across the entire length of it multiple times, with the only saving grace being the ability to beam back to the city once you're far enough away from it. I'd go so far to say that walking constitutes the vast majority of the time consumed by the Wasteland missions.

After about five minutes of staring at a screen full of brown desert while my avatar trots along at his painfully slow running speed, I stop caring about the environment.

And yet, you still level faster than on regular missions where all that walking around is replaced by warping around in sector space.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    @markhawkman...dude, you're being trolled there. Snap out of it!