test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I'd forgotten how utterly terrible the entire DS9 episode is.

olessiusolessius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
It's bad. It's SO bad. If I knew how, I would actually cheat my way past it while awarding my character twice the skill points and Dilithium this episode is worth (which still wouldn't be as bad it sounds since half of its thirteen (thirteen!) missions award less than half of what any mission from, say, Romulan Mystery would).

But not only are they not rewarding - they are also excruciatingly long and tedious. One mission will have you single-handedly clearing out a small armada before beaming down to a planet and running to four widely placed objectives on an unnecessarily large map filled with trash mobs before entering an unnecessarily large underground complex which is also filled with an unnecessary amount of trash mobs before beaming back out to space and fighting back a three-part ambush.

Yes, what I just wrote was a run-on sentence, and I did so because it felt like the most fitting way to describe what is essentially a run-on mission.

Just like EVERY OTHER MISSION IN THIS INCREDIBLY LONG, TEDIOUS AND UNREWARDING EPISODE IS.

And frankly, as I play these utterly, infuriatingly awful missions, I find myself wondering how the person or people who made them could possibly have thought that they'd actually be fun to play. Were they actually even supposed to be fun?

So please, PLEASE give Delta Recruits the ability to skip a single episode while still receiving its corresponding assignment completion. Please, I beg you. Beyond all the bugs in the game, this is the one thing that I cannot stomach.

Please don't make me play through this absolute freaking TRAVESTY of an episode on another Delta Recruit.
Post edited by olessius on

Comments

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    These were made when they had to rush to get the game out. They will be remade soon.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    These were made when they had to rush to get the game out. They will be remade soon.

Plus, it was made for a subscription based game. To keep you playing and playing while your sub is running. "good" ole times...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I agree. The Cardassian story arc has always been my least favorite. The missions are long and tedious and most of them are very much alike. Destroy 5 groups of enemy vessels, beam down, kill 10 groups of enemy soldiers. I hope they will be redone soon. With the exception of the featured missions at the end of the story line I won't miss a single one of them.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,108 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Fingers crossed they remake the Cardassian Arc.. while at the same time making a "Mirror" Arc. :cool:
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    ailmereailmere Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think the only one I mildly enjoyed was the space walk. I ended up skipping half of them.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed they remake the Cardassian Arc.. while at the same time making a "Mirror" Arc. :cool:

I think what would work best there, honestly, is to concentrate on the Mirror episodes for the leveling process. Among other things, they'd get more mileage out of a DS9 zone revamp by making Mirror Terok Nor an adventure zone. The Mirror missions and missions where we fight fake Starfleet officers are also more memorable.

I'd rather see the Cardassians revisited at endgame. They make sense to me as a reputation. Maybe an Empok Nor queue event, Cardassia Prime adventure zone, a Detapa Council reputation, etc.

I guess what I'd see is something like:

Mirror Arc (Mostly new but might include some of the Undine episodes like Franklin Drake's whole thing)
    Dominion Arc (the FE series, the Laas episode with revisions, and I'd rework State of Q here to feature Dominion rather than Borg)

Cardassians featured at endgame. I'd almost like them to get the full New Romulus treatment crossed with the full Nimbus treatment but this time urban setting rather than rolling hills and with both peaceful and battlezone components. Full reputation.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    olessius wrote: »
    It's bad. It's SO bad. If I knew how, I would actually cheat my way past it while awarding my character four times the skill points and Dilithium this episode is worth (which still wouldn't be as bad it sounds since every last one of its thirteen (thirteen!) missions award less than half of what any mission from, say, Romulan Mystery would).

But not only are they not rewarding - they are also excruciatingly long and tedious. One mission will have you single-handedly clearing out a small armada before beaming down to a planet and running to four widely placed objectives on an unnecessarily large map filled with trash mobs before entering an unnecessarily large underground complex which is also filled with an unnecessary amount of trash mobs before beaming back out to space and fighting back a three-part ambush.

Yes, what I just wrote was a run-on sentence, and I did so because it felt like the most fitting way to describe what is essentially a run-on mission.

Just like EVERY OTHER MISSION IN THIS INCREDIBLY LONG, TEDIOUS AND UNREWARDING EPISODE IS.

And frankly, as I play these utterly, infuriatingly awful missions, I find myself wondering how the person or people who made them could possibly have thought that they'd actually be fun to play. Were they actually even supposed to be fun?

So please, PLEASE give Delta Recruits the ability to skip a single episode while still receiving its corresponding assignment completion. Please, I beg you. Beyond all the bugs in the game, this is the one thing that I cannot stomach.

Please don't make me play through this absolute freaking TRAVESTY of an episode on another Delta Recruit.

sounds much like the random 3 missions you used to get in the star clusters to me. lol

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In a recent interview Al Rivera said the Cardassian Arc would be next to get remade.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ashkrik23 wrote: »

When I first played through the game it was the first part of the cardassian story arc (before "second wave") and the first part of the romulan arc (before "the vault") that were insanely tedious and boring and confusing. I had no idea what the overall story was because of the enormous blocks of text, and because I sucked at the game it all took much longer than it should have.

I think the Romulan story arc was much worse than the Cardassian one, mainly because the Cardassian one drew from the DS9 series (which I've watched) while the Rom story arc mostly drew from the non-canon books (which I have not read). That and those tractor beam mines/giant plasma torps that killed me every time.

It was the Rom story arc that made the amazon review for an STO time card that I bought, where someone said the game sucked and wrote several paragraphs complaining about these missions.

All of this is to say that the Cardi missions will probably get reworked, too. But the Rom missions were a priority.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Kurland here will soon be a thing of the past.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,108 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »

Or will it?

They should use that audio file for every mission he gives the player. Then you think it's over? When you finish the mission... BOOM! he's in your face again.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Eh I hope they keep that soundclip. Its dumb but its one of those things thats just a part of STO's character at this point. Plus since The 2800 mini-arc was a much later addition and not part of the original DS9 arc, it doesn't really need a cleanup pass like the earlier stuff.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    khan5000 wrote: »
    In a recent interview Al Rivera said the Cardassian Arc would be next to get remade.
    Of course it would be. It's the only arc left to revamp...
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "Kurland here!" "This is Kurland!"

These two audio files make me look at the DS9 episode my Delta Recruit must play with fear and loathing. The story ideas in the DS9 arc and the Cardassian arc are not bad. It just seems someone didn't know when to say, "Okay, guys. Let's stop putting things in the mission for the player to shoot. We have enough now."

The puzzle part where we get to EVA on the surface of DS9 is fun. For the first two puzzles. After these it just becomes a mind-numbing slog. The first time I ever played this mission, I stopped and didn't play again for a week. Maybe two. The constant drone of "Kurland here!" in my earphones killed at least a billion or so brain cells. At my age, brain cells are not a renewable resource.

I am thinking if I can find a way to avoid these, I will. Even if it means giving up some of the so far spiffy Delta Recruit rewards.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    the cardassian arc should be seperate from the mirror arc, that should have its own stand alone with maybe a mention or a tie in via a single object, but otherwise i would like to see cryptic flex its muscles towards the mirror universe which is hardly explored save for a few central characters an a few points on the storyline in that reality.

i would like to see smileys son in more detail, a potential storyline as the one thats already in play is all over the place. i would like to see what the mirror klingons would do and some important characters from the sto canon universe make their way into that reality as well, koren is a coward, shon is greedy, t'nae is a revolunary, d'tan is a hyper manipulative sob, sela is the honest clingy friend in a way almost creepy by how lonely she is, hakeev is the honest fighter like shon is in the prime.

the iconians are the heroes, the humans are the enemy everyone hates, the klingon and cardassians are the spoilers to the party who have their own agenda while the romulans as ever remain anonymous. 8472 want to be everyones friends and the borg are a democracy of technology and biology, true symbotic relationship lead by no one person.

as for the cardassian arc, there is plenty to work with for a future expansion, keep it back until something is good to go for the cardassians.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is what I hope for:

A streamlined Cardassian Arc without the filler, 3-4 episodes long with Madred as the main villain voiced by David Warner who tries to bring back the old Cardassian totalitarian empire by forging an alliance with the new Dominion.

That could lead into the New Dominion Arc, 2-3 episodes, which features Lars as the main villain of course, voiced by J.G Hertzler.

And then with only minor tie ins we get a Mirror arc, 3-4 episodes. that features 2 main villains, Smiley's son, voiced and resembling Colm Meany more and of course our own Mirror universe counterpart.
    How can there be a mirror tory without fighting our evil me. ;)
    They have the tech now to copy our characters appearance onto NPCs. I'm sure they can also add a goatee if they want to. XD

And one would hope they utilize the new systems on the map for those stories somehow: Ferenginar, Betazed and Trill among others.

Also there is a long tradition with mirror episodes in DS9. Every episode has to feature a Ferengi being killed ina gruesome way! We have to have that.
    Which Ferengi do we have that could be killed?
    Farek? That Ferengi Woman from the Gamma Quadrant mission.
    Madran from the Mining colony and New Romulus.
    Qaris, owner of the bar in Treasure Trading Station
    And of course Hadron as the current owner of Quark's Bar is automatically a walking corpse in the mirror universe. ;)
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Second wave and the following episodes are fun, good to play and give good rewards. The missions before it are horrible. I kill Cardassians, Mirror people and Jem'Haddar and I still don't have a clue for what reason. You fight in space, on the ground, in space, on the ground again, again in space ... I don't know, what is fore and aft, what is right and wrong, just shoot'em up, it never ends.

Before DR we could skip it. You were level 50 before you had to play those missions. Now you cannot skip them, the XP is too precious. That is another negative for the Delta Rising Expansion. Not Argale, not the laggy patrol maps, Neelix, No, on top of everything we have to play the Cardassian missions. Agghh as Karu'Kan would say.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited April 2015
    khan5000 wrote: »

if legit... PRAISE WHATEVER GODS ARE RESPONSIBLE!!

normally if I make a char I play the whole quest chain... but the cardi missions I skip

"kurland here" "this is kurland" also needs to die
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    But I thought countless players loved old STO?

Sorry for that joke but yeah. The DS9 storyline needs some work. Not sure about a Carddies being anything endgame. They are roughly on the same tier as the Breen right now as baddies. Same can be said for the MU.
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah. The Cardassian stuff, honestly, is the only content left in the game to really bring back the bad old days. When I heard it was being remastered I stood up and did a happy dance.

A couple of my Delta Recruits will likely not be finishing their stories until after the remaster hits.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hrmm, if they ever made a Star Trek series for the OP - I'm guessing it would have a 15 minute timeslot including commercials. Cause anything longer would just be excruciating and tedious.
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Of course it would be. It's the only arc left to revamp...
    Not really, when you have the Felkhri arc, the Breen arc, the Devidian arc, the Cloaked Intentions (Tell me that the Sela being captured cutscene is any good) arc in need of touch ups.
  • Options
    olessiusolessius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »
    Yeah. The Cardassian stuff, honestly, is the only content left in the game to really bring back the bad old days. When I heard it was being remastered I stood up and did a happy dance.

A couple of my Delta Recruits will likely not be finishing their stories until after the remaster hits.

That's an idea, I suppose, but there is really no telling when said remastering is going to introduced, and sadly, I have at least one character that I'm going to delete in favour of a new Delta Recruit being made (because this is a fantastic opportunity to remake old characters as you wish you could've made them from the beginning), and before I do so, I'd like to get as much Dil and sundry out of them as possible.

So I'll have to finish the DD episode at least once for the account rewards. Luckily, I think the worst is close to being over. But man, many of these missions are so bad that it almost feels like the people who made them wanted us to suffer.
    Hrmm, if they ever made a Star Trek series for the OP - I'm guessing it would have a 15 minute timeslot including commercials. Cause anything longer would just be excruciating and tedious.

DS9 did just fine in my book. Also, you smell like farts (because childish insults apparently never go out of style). :rolleyes:
  • Options
    cavewarkcavewark Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    the cardasian arc hasn't had the love the other arcs have or slight re writes and restructures, it does hark back to the "bad ole" days of sto where kill xx or click xx objects with no story were the primary content.

I agree they need a Mirror universe arc and a Jemhadar/dominion arc and maybe even a trueway cardasian arc.

the mishmash of sotry ideas and massive maps with objects spread out far and wide make this series a really ball ache to go through. Most of my chars have totally skipped the cardasian arcs by which point they are all normally 50.
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »

Well, the remaster will not be out until after the DR event. So if you want those rewards grind your teeth and push through it.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bernatk wrote: »
    Plus, it was made for a subscription based game. To keep you playing and playing while your sub is running. "good" ole times...

As opposed to now?
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    cavewark wrote: »
    the cardasian arc hasn't had the love the other arcs have or slight re writes and restructures, it does hark back to the "bad ole" days of sto where kill xx or click xx objects with no story were the primary content.

I agree they need a Mirror universe arc and a Jemhadar/dominion arc and maybe even a trueway cardasian arc.

the mishmash of sotry ideas and massive maps with objects spread out far and wide make this series a really ball ache to go through. Most of my chars have totally skipped the cardasian arcs by which point they are all normally 50.

Honestly, how is it any different than the new episodes they've done? Run around killing a bunch of stuff, collecting stuff, f-keying through a bunch of dialogue, transition here, transition there...etc, etc, etc.

Would it be any different having played the Dyson or Delta stuff for the past three years and wanting to skip it?
    olessius wrote: »
    DS9 did just fine in my book.

Obviously the least Trek series would have been fine in your book...
  • Options
    gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hopefully the remaster will drop with Season 10 even if it's generally unrelated. (Like the Romulan revamp dropped with the unrelated anniversary event.)

I like the 2800 arc, but the True Way & Mirror Universe stuff needs some serious polish.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Kurlands Audio was made much later, during the 2800-FE-Addition, I doubt they will revamp that.
    The rest though is very unrewarding (especially XP, since normally you are still leveling when getting there). And obviously Kurland should lose his command, the number of times he lost the stations (or parts of it) are great in number.
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    One mission in the Cardassian arc probably takes twice (maybe even three times) as long to complete as a single Breen mission.

Back in the old old days, when things took much longer to kill, I used to use my boffs as decoys while I went about doing the objectives. Even though things die much faster now, I found myself falling back on old habits during this arc.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse