Install Arc
Options

Delta Recruitment - Rewards

Comments

• Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Very nice Cryptic.

Granted I knew I was going to make a Delta Recruit soon after it was announced but that was because I like occasionally creating a new toon to re-run the old missions. Getting a few bonuses here and there was just a nice thing to have this time around.

But I have to say I wasn't expecting this kind of generousity. Its not a trait I usually assosiate with Cryptic/Perfect World. This is quite a bit more than I was expecting.

So, bravo Cryptic! I look forward to rolling my alien female sci Fed toon! Heck I might even roll a second recruit if I have the time...
  • Options
    ashandarei22ashandarei22 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm betting that their idea to help "fix" the 50-60 grind is the server side buffs to XP and such that'll be part of the weekly goals. While it's not a perfect fix (I still don't have a lv 60 yet....) since it's going to go away and it causes an issue of needing to play possibly non Delta Recruits to grind out 50-60 on another character, it might help alleviate it for a while for some toons.

Also, the plan might be that the Delta Recruit gains XP at such an accelerated rate during the event with the weekly goals that they've got enough content to last them till near 60 or to 60 due to leveling so quickly. This again has it's issues as it doesn't fix spec points/etc and is also still limited to the event timing.

Personally, as a newer player (or at least one that has very limited play time since I started playing a few years back - with a few breaks) with a dreadfully small fleet I'm looking forward to the boosts.

It's not perfect, but I enjoy the extras we're getting in this event from my perspective. It isn't as well informed about the state of the game nor from a long time veteran's perspective, but I'm actually excited especially since I have never done any of the revamped storylines nor the Klingon ones at all.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am so much with you on this... it'd be even amazing to be able to play our character, BUT, with another faction. So, take your Fed & play this character through KDF storyline, for example. I'd love to be able to do that; even if they allowed me to create the same character under different faction (species, appearance)...

looking at the rewards for playing a single delta recruit it seems to me that overall your existing characters will benefit a lot more from this event then your deltas, especially if you can channel much of the EC and dilithium earned over to your main character.

many of the delta only rewards like the Very Rare Equipment for example is Bound-to-Character that has a 0 EC Sell Value and as this peaks at mk10 gear would soon be replaced by mk11 & mk12 gear in any case, is almost useless in the long term.
    also as most of the fleet only rewards will most likely go to your existing fleets I am sure.

therefore I see no real benefit in using an existing character for this event other then to experience the new storylines with the delta variations and that can be just as easily achieved with a new delta recruit as with an existing character.

transferring dilithium is easy with the dilithium exchange and transferring EC with your account bank if you have one or list some cheap item on the exchange for an appropriate exorbitant amount and buy it with your delta to transfer most of the EC if you do not have an account bank.

anything you pick up that is not bound in any way can be mailed to an alt or sold for ec, anything that is account bound can be transferred to a main via the account bank if you have one or maybe recycled in the replicator for ec.

at the end there will be very little that the delta will have that you would want or need on your main character.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    New players should catch up to veterans when they've put in an equal amount of time as a veteran. To expect a brand new player to be on par with a veteran of several years within a month or so is a poor idea IMO. Having more/better resources is a perk from the time invested. In a way, it's like expecting to become an executive within a month of being hired as the mail clerk.

I don't expect to have the same resources as someone who has been playing longer than me. Again, the Delta Recruitment thing sounds like fun to bring in new players, I just see the Dev effort better spent on other things.

I disagree. New people need to put in the time to gather the resources and learn the game just like everyone else did.

*flips to the other side of the argument for a moment*

After trying to roll a new character, without any resources, I realized that its not currently enjoyable. Many veteran players, not all, are escalating exchange prices; thus, the exchange has become a third-party grinding system.

Veteran players, the people who play the exchange, are hording content and exploiting the public market. Within a real world scenario, the federal government would have intentionally crashed the market.

Instead of creating the R&D system, Cryptic should have flooded the exchange. Cryptic should be playing the exchange as a silent investor, which occasionally floods the market with below level 60 items.

Within a real world situation, monopolies are technically against the law.

Finally, many of the stf queues are very slow to trigger; therefore, new players will struggle to obtain marks. Unless veteran players start to roll new avatars, new players, people who make up the minority, will not be able to obtain certain gear.

Delta recruitment is a great tool, for it will give new players a boost.

I might try to roll a new character.

I just don't want to face the level 58-60 xp gap.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I thought I remembered reading/hearing somewhere that there will be new ships released for this. Are these ships T6? Will we be able to fly them at earlier levels? Any news on this?

Thanks!
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    crm14916 wrote: »
    I thought I remembered reading/hearing somewhere that there will be new ships released for this. Are these ships T6? Will we be able to fly them at earlier levels? Any news on this?

Thanks!
    CM

Not that I know of ... maybe S10 ... besides it's kind of a 1-50 Event ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Thanks!
    CM

You heard that here when other players were speculating. Just an unfounded rumor. ;)
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Thanks!
    CM

There will definetly be new ships released with pilot spezialisation seats. But I don't think they have anything to do with the Delta Recruitment event.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    In games like EvE, that's true. In games like WoW, you're really supposed to be able to catch up on any given expansion.

The idea is that player resources are supposed to be pumped through and/or discounted and the veteran is supposed to hit a flat ceiling that other people can catch up to periodically.

Seeing as how STO is a casual game (by design) and was designed more like WoW than EvE, I think the intent (imperfectly implemented as it may be) is that players are meant to hit a ceiling that newer players can catch up to and that any gains past that ceiling are meant to be modest and expensive enough to keep players roughly equal.

its all relative to the player and how much or little he does with the delta recruit and how much he plays in general compared to other players.
    if someone decides to play his delta as his new main and uses his existing characters as alts then eventually he will bypass his current characters with many things obviously there may be some things he may never get like one time event ships but they are not that important to the overall progression of the character.
    likewise if he plays his delta a lot and spends lots of time playing he may well bypass some players who have been playing for years but doesn't spend much time in game overall each week or month compared to him.
    obviously there may be some players he may never catch up to but after some time the differences may be so minimal as to not affect his play to any great extent.

• Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    szim wrote: »
    There will definetly be new ships released with pilot spezialisation seats. But I don't think they have anything to do with the Delta Recruitment event.

That's probably what I'm thinking...

Thanks!
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I really hate to be this cynical, but...

WHAT'S THE CATCH?

Developers don't throw truck loads and truck loads of stuff at their players, new or not, without a reason, and I can't really buy the whole "Too steep of a climb for new players" because after all, this is a F2P game, where new players are basically expected to "buy in" through items, services, etc.

So what's the motive here, to throw around all this loot?

This just seems way too good to be true, and I want to know why.

at the end of the day its money I`m afraid, I know many players look on that a dirty word as far as sto is concerned but we could not play at all without it.
    ballpark lets just imagine that there are say 1millilon new characters created for this event and lets also imagine that as little as 10% of those new characters have as little as $10 spent on them at some point, thats $1,000,000 my friend.

and how much is the total value of this overall event and all the goodies they are throwing our way, I suspect its nowhere near the 1mill they hope to gain or maybe surpass if my above estimate is anywhere close to the truth.
    and I say good luck to them I hope they get that and more.

• Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of MMOs. To expect to be a brand new player on par with a veteran within a month or two of playing is an unrealistic goal IMO.

New players will eventually become a veteran themselves.

If new players are expected to play as long as veterans to reach where the veterans are, they will never be caught up with the newest stuff, while the fact that people leave a game will slowly weed out those who are. Why?

Because... I'll take STO as the example. I've been here since launch. Five years. That's five years of playtime. A new player comes in, makes their first character. So they need five years to catch up to me.

Except they don't, because in the five years they spend trying to catch up to me, five more years pass. I'm now a ten-year veteran, and they're still five years behind me, and behind the newest stuff in the game. That's a problem.

As the game gets "longer," the earlier parts of progression absolutely must be compressed, not to make it easier to reach the end but to make it take roughly the same amount of effort to reach the end. Getting to "current" gear and "current" content should take about as long now as it did at launch, and it doesn't. It takes a lot longer. Delta Recruiting, I expect, will bridge that gap.
  • Options
    danielhunter1991danielhunter1991 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Nice!!! :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Space Consoles

All of the following:
    Shield Capacity Science Consoles
    +1 Particle Generator Console @ Lvl 40
    All Damage Resistance Engineering Consoles
    +1 Turn Rate Console @ Lvl 40)
    Energy Damage Tactical Consoles
    Matches the primary energy type of your faction:
    FED = Phaser
    KDF = Disruptor
    ROM = Plasma

Request for clarification. When it says a damage resistance console is the +1 turn rate mean it is fleet equivalent or is it 2 separate consoles. The wording suggests 2 consoles but the bullet point suggests one with a bonus.
  • Options
    sf911sf911 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    sf911 wrote: »
    Question: Will there be any faction-specific rewards that only another character from the same faction can benefit from?

In other words, if my main is a Fed, are there any rewards I could be missing out on by creating a Romulan?

Does anyone have an answer for the above by any chance?
  • Options
    cristonic2cristonic2 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ok, my response is not going to be one that is all that flattering. First, this game isn't all that hard to play, I level with base gear and have since the day you chose to dumb it down. secondly, I have left for close to two years and felt no need to upgrade my gear from the day I left (sad but true) and thirdly, this game offers good rewards and fair drops for pretty much doing little more than pointing and shooting. Now, were you talking about the actual Old Content and the Old STFs, I would agree that new players would need aid. Let us look at the truth, I can run all of the new content with gear two years out of date and still seldom die (if ever). Now, take the fact you have made Delta even easier and I bet you I could run it all with common gear now. This is sad but true. Want my support for these kind of ideas, make the game a challenge again (even Diplomatic orders is way to easy now). Simply put, until you make the game challenging again (and just slapping a lot of extra Hit Points on the enemies doesn't count, sorry) I feel you are really just wasting our time. 90% of the questions I see are not revolving around anything you have mentioned so far. So, I am sorry, but at this point in time, I find this a poor idea.:mad:
  • Options
    danielhunter1991danielhunter1991 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I wonder if this will become a annual thing. Each year some sort of recruitment program could work. If STO are desperate to keep new players coming in this would be a good way to do it.
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I wonder if this will become a annual thing. Each year some sort of recruitment program could work. If STO are desperate to keep new players coming in this would be a good way to do it.

This may be a test to see if it's a viable solution. I honetly doubt cryptic will get the kind of numbers they are hoping for.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »
    If new players are expected to play as long as veterans to reach where the veterans are, they will never be caught up with the newest stuff, while the fact that people leave a game will slowly weed out those who are. Why?

Because... I'll take STO as the example. I've been here since launch. Five years. That's five years of playtime. A new player comes in, makes their first character. So they need five years to catch up to me.

Except they don't, because in the five years they spend trying to catch up to me, five more years pass. I'm now a ten-year veteran, and they're still five years behind me, and behind the newest stuff in the game. That's a problem.

As the game gets "longer," the earlier parts of progression absolutely must be compressed, not to make it easier to reach the end but to make it take roughly the same amount of effort to reach the end. Getting to "current" gear and "current" content should take about as long now as it did at launch, and it doesn't. It takes a lot longer. Delta Recruiting, I expect, will bridge that gap.

you kinda got that back to front, I have been only playing for around 3 years so nowhere near the five years you have but I have loads of new stuff probably as much new stuff as you have, maybe more.
    its the old stuff that might have been taken from availability that you might have but I don't, and who wants most of that stuff anyway, its all outdated junk, and in fact apart from some older ships I have kept and pets and such I have very little stuff I had 1 year ago, its either been replaced with newer stuff or upgraded to newer stuff.

• Options
    arincdiarincdi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Regarding the reward for joining a Fleet:

What happens if you join the Fleet before level 30? Do you still get the reward for having joined the Fleet? If you quit one fleet and join another, do you get the reward again?

In short, should I be deliberately instructing my fleet members to not join until they hit 30?
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    arincdi wrote: »

What happens if you join the Fleet before level 30? Do you still get the reward for having joined the Fleet? If you quit one fleet and join another, do you get the reward again?

In short, should I be deliberately instructing my fleet members to not join until they hit 30?

somewhere in the thread they clarified and said you get the reward when both conditions are met, so there is no need to wait to join the fleet. they just wont get the reward til they hit level 30.
  • Options
    puykonigpuykonig Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    why do we have to make a NEW character? Why not give us the option to change out current character to the new one and keep the stats.
  • Options
    kalavierkalavier Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    puykonig wrote: »
    why do we have to make a NEW character? Why not give us the option to change out current character to the new one and keep the stats.

Because, like many things, this is another time/resource heavy focus to split what limited time and resources you got :/. At least it seems that way to me.

I don't intend on making another crafting character. I don't really have ideas for a new character anyway. The rewards get a meh from me, to slightly pissed off (because the crafting).

I really wouldn't mind being able to get back into STO and actually play the game, but https://lootcritter.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/infographic-delta-rising-upgrade-costs-111114.gif shows it nicely. The new endgame isn't designed in any way shape or form to be accessable for those people who have lives or don't make/have millions and millions of EC, huge dilithium stockpiles, and lots of lobis.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Conidering making a fed engie who will finish at lvl 50 unless they get future options in the future and if this event is a sucess then I may do another alt in the future when this comes around again
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    arincdi wrote: »

they have already said that they have made sure that any exploits are covered, for this reason I am guessing this reward is a one time deal, you cannot quit a fleet and join another to reclaim the reward again as this would be an exploit.

they have also said that both criteria must be met to get the reward but it does not matter in what order they are met, so you can join a fleet at lv25 and you will not get the reward till you hit lv30 or you could hit lv30 and get the reward when you join a fleet even if by that time you are lv40.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    puykonig wrote: »

apart from the fact that this event is designed for you to make more characters, if you search this thread I have already explained why this would be just impractical for you anyway.

• Options
    megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Now this I'm really looking forward to!

Would really like to see some new races added though, like real Jem'Hadar character creator options. As it stands right now we can only create a Pseudo Jem'Hadar, and they don't look good at all. We need an authentic look for them.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Now this I'm really looking forward to!

Would really like to see some new races added though, like real Jem'Hadar character creator options. As it stands right now we can only create a Pseudo Jem'Hadar, and they don't look good at all. We need an authentic look for them.

no new races yet as far as I am aware and why should there be, this isn't an expansion or even a season update.
    its just an event, nothing more, nothing less.

if you can think of one other event where they created playable races I will admit I am wrong.

• Options
    bliblablubb987bliblablubb987 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have a question regarding "Complete Episode Arcs", assuming it is not "only once" but repeatable:

According to the wiki (I cannot ingame right now), Fedlings have only 6 Episode Arcs (not counting the tutorial) while Klingons and Romulards have 10 Arcs each. That would be a difference of 4000 spacepotatos less per char on your account to claim, if you only play a Fedling.

Also, do the Episode Arcs from different factions add up for the rewards?

If someone would play a Fedling first (completing 6 Arcs), then Klingon (+ 4 unique Arcs) and finally a Romulard (+3 unique Arcs) plus Spectres (being a seperate Arc for non-feds), would he end up with 13000+ dil to claim?

Or is it only awarded once fo the first completed Arc anyway?

Would be nice if a dev could clarify this (I didn't see anything in this thread so far).