Comments

• Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    protogoth wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

:rolleyes:
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I felt bad for killing imperial romulans in the FE, right up until it was revealed in character they were working for Sela... I am kinda glad Gaius got the 'borg mind control' job instead of being a traitor on his own.

It's really, really not ideal for a Romulan to be fighting other Romulans... But the RSE remains opposed to the Republic, and both the RSE and the Tal Shiar (which are in fact starting to look more and more separate) have had no problem taking up arms against the Republic.

Will that change? I certainly hope so. If the schism between the RSE and the Tal Shiar keeps widening, then there's a chance one of them will appeal to the Republic for aid or alliance - or even unity.

As for Gaius... oh man, that sent chills down my spine. Seeing him twitch the same way that some of the Romulan test subjects were when they were given Borg implants... that felt horrid seeing the poor guy like that.
  • Options
    tolmariustolmarius Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It would be nice to see an intelligence file on the current state of the empire.

After Slela went byby we herd nothing from it other than there's chaos.

Well, we learned a few things from "Uneasy Allies". Sela's comment about us destroying one of the few Star Navy warbirds remaining shows us that 1) The Star Navy is very under strength, and the could only provide a single Mogai class to protect their Empress, and 2) The majority of Imperial warbirds we destroy are controlled by the Tal Shiar, which shows how bloated it's become, to the point where an intelligence agency is operating fleets of warships and trying to control territory, and set itself up as the defacto Romulan government.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tolmarius wrote: »
    Well, we learned a few things from "Uneasy Allies". Sela's comment about us destroying one of the few Star Navy warbirds remaining shows us that 1) The Star Navy is very under strength, and the could only provide a single Mogai class to protect their Empress, and 2) The majority of Imperial warbirds we destroy are controlled by the Tal Shiar, which shows how bloated it's become, to the point where an intelligence agency is operating fleets of warships and trying to control territory, and set itself up as the defacto Romulan government.

lol yeah when she bought that up i was like "huh guess that's my answer" i wonder if this mean
    1. The majority of the Star Empire fleet is under tal'shiar control
    2. The majority of the Star Empire fleet has defected to the Republic
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lol yeah when she bought that up i was like "huh guess that's my answer" i wonder if this mean

Probably the latter. Most of the Star Navy probably consists of average working joes who saw the writing on the wall and decided Sela wasn't worth their lives. Of course, the Tal Shiar probably seized every ship they could catch in time.

Regardless, I like how the mission made the distinction.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    civilian archaeologists dont wear Robotic Powered Armor with weapons mounted on them

They do if they need it to survive on the planet. Tholians are extremely fragile, and die almost instantly in environments most races consider 'normal'.

When your environmental suit is the only thing standing between you and excruciating death, you'll want a weapon to protect yourself.

The Warriguls native to Dewa III, for instance, are (based on their stats) about three times as deadly as the War Targs routinely used by klingons.

As part of the mission, the captain sees a pack of native predators that have been scared off by the Tholians.

And started shooting at us on sight.

If you replay the mission, you will find that the Tholians don't shoot on sight. Quite the contrary! After your heavily armed party chases them to their excavation site, they warn you that they will protect themselves with lethal force.

At that point, your captain's objective changes to 'defeat the Tholians', and they become flagged as 'enemies'.

The Tholians are trapped in a dead-end valley. They cannot retreat.

But they don't advance upon you either. It is only after your band of heavily armed intruders closes to weapons range with intent to kill that the Tholians open fire.

People say that Tholians are xenophobic. But look at how other races in Star Trek Online respond to them. Consistently - and exclusively - with violence, and without provocation.

I'll give another couple of examples:

Azure Nebula Rescue: Tholians have captured ships from the Romulan Star Empire. Yes, not the 'Romulan Republic'. The Romulan Star Empire. I'll link a screenshot. For some reason, that's justification for the Federation, Klingons, and Romulan Republic to put aside their differences, and launch a full assault against Tholian space habitats in order to assist their common enemy.

Tau Dewa Tholian Red Alert: You gear up to fight a borg invasion, only to find that a fleet of Tholian ships has already blown up the Borg. For some reason, this is justification to immediately attempt to - and I quote the mission here - 'eliminate the Tholian fleet'.

Y'know, instead of giving them a fistbump for being heroes.

The last one is especially hypocritical given the events of the DS9 arc. 'All of us need to work together against the borg. Or at least, everyone who looks similar to us needs to work together.'

It's awfully racist. I mean, seriously.

The Tholians aren't xenophobic. They just have basic pattern recognition.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Probably the latter. Most of the Star Navy probably consists of average working joes who saw the writing on the wall and decided Sela wasn't worth their lives. Of course, the Tal Shiar probably seized every ship they could catch in time.

At least it silences some of the more outlandish Republican propaganda.
    R E M A I N

• Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bltrrn wrote: »
    "Democracy is incapable of perseverance. Since it is shared by political parties that rule for one, two, or three years, it is unable to conceive and carry out plans of longer duration. One party annuls the plans and efforts of the other. What is conceived and built by one party today is destroyed by another tomorrow. In a country in which much has to be built, in which building is indeed the primary historical requirement, this disadvantage of democracy constitutes a true danger. It is a situation similar to that which prevails in an establishment where masters are changed every year, each new master bringing in his own plans, ruining what was done by some, and starting new things, which will in turn be destroyed by tomorrow's masters. Democracy prevents the politician's fulfillment of his obligations to the nation. Even the most well-meaning politician becomes, in a democracy, the slave of his supporters, because either he satisfies their personal interests or they destroy his organization. The politician lives under the tyranny and permanent threat of the electoral bosses. He is placed in a position in which he must choose between the termination of his lifetime work and the satisfaction of the demands of party members. And the politician, given such a choice, opts for the latter. He does so not out of his own pocket, but out of that of the country. He creates jobs, sets up missions, commissions, sinecures—all rostered in the nation's budget— which put increasingly heavy pressures on a tired people." -Corneliu Codreanu

I don't disagree with the assessment, as politics requires one to have an iron constitution to stomach the treachery, betrayal, and backstabbing inherent in even the most supposedly civil societies. Of course, his answer was to advocate for a dictatorship which is NOT the answer either. That leads me to another quote.

"Democracy is the worst form of government.....except for everything else." -Winston Churchill.

I understand that some on the forum like to remain "in character" while others prefer to remain "out of character". My quotes were intended to serve both. An advisement to "fellow Romulans" for those who want to interact "in character", and as a warning to those "out of character".
    What "other guys"?

And why does anything they said or did make what your source said and did any less ethically reprehensible?

Tu Quoque. Look it up.

The "Other Guys" I think he was referring to were Machiavelli, Cicero, and Nietzsche whom I quoted earlier. I will now quote another which I hope puts ALL of the quotes, including Cordreanu's, into context:

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle, Greek Astronomer, Philosopher, and Mentor to Alexander the Great.

I think Confucius also said something similar to that as well.

Getting back to the discussion, I would have to agree that it is likely a good majority of the Romulan Military saw the writing on the wall during the events of "Cutting the Cord", and decided to switch sides. No doubt D'tan gave clemency to a majority of the enlisted and junior officers and judged the seinor leadership on a case by case basis.

As General George S. Patton was quoted "..... Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an American."

I think that nicely sums up both the spirit of D'era (Romulan espre de corp) and the Klingon "Way of the Warrior(which they cribbed off the Samurai).
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Azure Nebula Rescue: Tholians have captured ships from the Romulan Star Empire. Yes, not the 'Romulan Republic'. The Romulan Star Empire. I'll link a screenshot. For some reason, that's justification for the Federation, Klingons, and Romulan Republic to put aside their differences, and launch a full assault against Tholian space habitats in order to assist their common enemy.

Can't speak for the others (though at least some of it is because the Romulans are historically xenophobic, too -- I doubt the Empire would react much better) but Azure Nebula Rescue predates Legacy of Romulus. Your screenshot is out of date: it just says "Romulan" now after they retconned the Republic into the storyline, and Mivek's ship carries an RRW prefix. Another hint: the Empire doesn't use Ha'apax-class or Falchion-class warbirds story-wise or mechanically. Both classes are unique to the Republic.

So yes, nowadays the Tholians are kidnapping Republic ships, not Imperial ones, and the alliance is fully within its rights to retaliate.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    davidwford wrote: »
    I don't disagree with the assessment, as politics requires one to have an iron constitution to stomach the treachery, betrayal, and backstabbing inherent in even the most supposedly civil societies. Of course, his answer was to advocate for a dictatorship which is NOT the answer either. That leads me to another quote.

"Democracy is the worst form of government.....except for everything else." -Winston Churchill.

I understand that some on the forum like to remain "in character" while others prefer to remain "out of character". My quotes were intended to serve both. An advisement to "fellow Romulans" for those who want to interact "in character", and as a warning to those "out of character".

The "Other Guys" I think he was referring to were Machiavelli, Cicero, and Nietzsche whom I quoted earlier. I will now quote another which I hope puts ALL of the quotes, including Cordreanu's, into context:

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle, Greek Astronomer, Philosopher, and Mentor to Alexander the Great.

I think Confucius also said something similar to that as well.

Thank you. It is, at times, difficult to cling to the dream of Gene, when people quote Liberalist and Hard-left thinkers, and most eveybody nods; but when the quote
    is from the other side of the spectrum, most everybody goes bananas. Thank you Mr. Ford, for unstanding the context of the quote, and not actively painting the forum in a red hue.
    R E M A I N

• Options
    theredcomettheredcomet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The federation in STO is a gross dystopian caricature of a naive utopian caricature. (the gross being the bloodshed and totalitarianism exhibited by the STO representation and the naive being gene's vision)

As someone said in another thread - this game has the heart of a klingon.
    Your character rises to prominence over the mountain of corpses he/she created.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The federation in STO is a gross dystopian caricature of a naive utopian caricature. (the gross being the bloodshed and totalitarianism exhibited by the STO representation and the naive being gene's vision)

As someone said in another thread - this game has the heart of a klingon.
    Your character rises to prominence over the mountain of corpses he/she created.

It's what I call "Siskoism".
    R E M A I N

• Options
    edited March 2015

Yeah, I really like that. I think a lot more of the RSE joined up with the Republic than was originally thought, and now the vast majority of the remaining "RSE" is in fact Tal Shiar.

There does seem to be an exceptionally small "Imperial Remnant." I don't know which would be occupying Rator right now? Is it the Imperial Remnant or the Tal Shiar that's sitting in the halls on Rator? I'd love to see that answered at some point - it likely will be in the coming episodes.

Romulan RPers will need to start making the distinction from now on, now that it's been made basically unrefutable that the Imperial Remnant and the Tal Shiar have broken off entirely from each other. I'll be adding my allegiance to my signature.
    If you replay the mission, you will find that the Tholians don't shoot on sight. Quite the contrary! After your heavily armed party chases them to their excavation site, they warn you that they will protect themselves with lethal force.

You are welcome to take up you concerns with the Tholian Assembly. The Republic, Federation, and Klingon Empire are in a continued armed conflict with the Tholians. Your Romulan faction may not consider itself part of that conflict.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Yeah, I really like that. I think a lot more of the RSE joined up with the Republic than was originally thought, and now the vast majority of the remaining "RSE" is in fact Tal Shiar.

There does seem to be an exceptionally small "Imperial Remnant." I don't know which would be occupying Rator right now? Is it the Imperial Remnant or the Tal Shiar that's sitting in the halls on Rator? I'd love to see that answered at some point - it likely will be in the coming episodes.

Romulan RPers will need to start making the distinction from now on, now that it's been made basically unrefutable that the Imperial Remnant and the Tal Shiar have broken off entirely from each other. I'll be adding my allegiance to my signature.

The fact that the RRF was initially staffed entirely by fed up Imperials was never in doubt. In fact, to call a Republic Romulan a former Imperial is pointless because its pretty much self evident that any Romulan adult would have grown up under the empire.

As for Rator, my argument that it is now under Republic or Fed control aside, I doubt they would still have their government there anyway. Any sensible goverment would have moved a while ago, and while they may be TRIBBLE, the RSE isn't stupid, Hakeev and Taris aside.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The fact that the RRF was initially staffed entirely by fed up Imperials was never in doubt. In fact, to call a Republic Romulan a former Imperial is pointless because its pretty much self evident that any Romulan adult would have grown up under the empire.

For sure. I just meant that a lot more from the RSE came to the Republic. I was under the impression that the RSE was still a lot bigger than it now appears to be. I clearly gave the Imperial Remnant more credit than it's due :P
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    (Spoiler warnings for any who haven't played the new mission)

(well I did warn ya)

I take the new mission personally, to show that by now the Tal'shiar has less forces and ships than the Star navy. From the log entrys on nopada mentioning only a skeleton crew at the secret base, because forces are needed in other places, and subtle clues elsewhere in the mission the Tal'siar seems a bit worse for the wear. The fact that there are still significant elements of the RSE left was mentioned by Sela. That even though there aren't enough forces to police outer systems, (mostly deserted) it can be assumed that The bulk of forces would be in the core systems and worlds.

I liken it to how even in the Starwars universe most of the outer rim systems had a small token if any imperial presence, but the inner core worlds had a heavy presence.

Anyway that's just my opinion. I'm just happy that cryptic acknowledged the fact of non Tal'shiar RSE supporters. Not all of the Empire is full of evil mustache twirling hammy villains that could give the Master a run for his money.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    astro2244 wrote: »
    I take the new mission personally, to show that by now the Tal'shiar has less forces and ships than the Star navy. From the log entrys on nopada mentioning only a skeleton crew at the secret base, because forces are needed in other places, and subtle clues elsewhere in the mission the Tal'siar seems a bit worse for the wear. The fact that there are still significant elements of the RSE left was mentioned by Sela. That even though there aren't enough forces to police outer systems, (mostly deserted) it can be assumed that The bulk of forces would be in the core systems and worlds.

Except the conversation option where you say you had no choice to disable Sela's freighter she mentions that the Star Navy doesn't have a lot of warbirds left.

So I don't think they are a major force.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I would like you to note, astro, that Sela referee to the mogai guarding her as "one of the few warbirds left in the fleet." She also made references to the Tal Shiar having more ships and people than her. It means that the empire is fading fast, and has only a small fraction of its former numbers. Thevast majority of its forces have either defected to the Republic, or are working for the Tal Shiar (whether they want to or not is irrelevant. They probably don't have a choice). I'm mystified as to where you heard something about the RSE having "significant forces". The fact that they could only spare a single mogai to escort their empress, while the Tal Shiar had a pair of D'deridex's available to guard Nopada and respond to an alert there speaks volumes. And Sela herself consistently said that her men where some of the few still loyal.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Anyway that's just my opinion. I'm just happy that cryptic acknowledged the fact of non Tal'shiar RSE supporters. Not all of the Empire is full of evil mustache twirling hammy villains that could give the Master a run for his money.

No, but the others are evil mustache-twirling villains who refuse to recognize the right of self-determination of other Romulans and Remans, and refer to them as "traitors" and "terrorists," and engage in armed conflict with them.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I would like you to note, astro, that Sela referee to the mogai guarding her as "one of the few warbirds left in the fleet." She also made references to the Tal Shiar having more ships and people than her. It means that the empire is fading fast, and has only a small fraction of its former numbers. Thevast majority of its forces have either defected to the Republic, or are working for the Tal Shiar (whether they want to or not is irrelevant. They probably don't have a choice). I'm mystified as to where you heard something about the RSE having "significant forces". The fact that they could only spare a single mogai to escort their empress, while the Tal Shiar had a pair of D'deridex's available to guard Nopada and respond to an alert there speaks volumes. And Sela herself consistently said that her men where some of the few still loyal.

Few can be relative. Also from a numbers perspective, Sela has been known to withhold details or outright lie in the past, so as to whether what she said was truthful or not is a matter of perspective.

I doubt she would be so forthright with the status of loyal Star navy forces in the RSE, especially when working with a party that you're technically at war with.

So it boils down to if you take her at her word or not. I know that the RSE isn't at pre Hobus Strength, But on the other hand I know their not down to a ridiculous number like 10 or 20 ships
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Few can be relative. Also from a numbers perspective, Sela has been known to withhold details or outright lie in the past, so as to whether what she said was truthful or not is a matter of perspective.

I doubt she would be so forthright with the status of loyal Star navy forces in the RSE, especially when working with a party that you're technically at war with.

So it boils down to if you take her at her word or not. I know that the RSE isn't at pre Hobus Strength, But on the other hand I know their not down to a ridiculous number like 10 or 20 ships

I never said 20 or 30. But at the most it would have a few hundred. I think we can at least agree that they don't have some worlds somewhere with hundreds or warbirds in orbit, or they would have had more then just a Mogai and a modified freighter supporting their head of state.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I'm just happy that cryptic acknowledged the fact of non Tal'shiar RSE supporters. Not all of the Empire is full of evil mustache twirling hammy villains that could give the Master a run for his money.
    No, but the others are evil mustache-twirling villains who refuse to recognize the right of self-determination of other Romulans and Remans, and refer to them as "traitors" and "terrorists," and engage in armed conflict with them.

(in-character)

A separation from the Tal Shiar is not somehow a 'big success' for the RSE, nor its supporters.

The only thing that finally broke the RSE and Tal Shiar apart was Sela's disappearance. Prior to that, the RSE seemed to have no problem using the Tal Shiar. Now that they're not loyal to her though, Sela sees the TS as entirely expendable - she has said that, on record.

The RSE and TS may not have been 100% linked. I have no doubt that Sela kept her secrets from Hakeev, as Hakeev did from Sela. But the two irrefutably recognized each other as legitmate - Sela recognized Hakeev as leader of her Tal Shiar, and Hakeev recognized Sela as his Empress. Neither denounced each other, neither attempted to separate themselves from within the broader "RSE" label.

Only after Sela's initial disappearance, and once Commander Ruul replaced Hakeev as head of the Tal Shiar (OOC: or so it seems - yet to be confirmed), did the two split. The RSE is now a separate state, to the Tal Shiar's pseudo-state. Prior to this, they were one and the same, and are guilty of the same crimes against the Romulan and Reman peoples.

And for those Imperial supporters that need a refresher, the crimes, including those that would've been brought against Sela as the self-proclaimed Empress of the RSE, include:

- invasion of Republic colonies and stations, including the abduction and / or murder of Republic citizens
    - invasion of independent Romulan and Reman colonies and stations, including the abduction and / or murder of locals
    - illegal bio-mechanical testing on live, unwilling Romulans and Remans
    - illegal neurological alternation of live, unwilling Romulans and Remans
    - illegal transfer / trade of live, unwilling Romulans and Remans to the Elachi for bio-genetic experimentation
    - armed assault on New Romulus, and the illegal planting of undercover agents
    - bombing of a diplomatic conference at Khitomer between the United Federation of Planets, the Klingon Empire, the Romulan Republic, and the Romulan Star Empire, resulting in the death of one Republic Citizen, RRF Commander Temer
    - mistreatment and torture, including illegal bio-mechanical engineering, of RRF officers taken prisoner, most recently Lieutenant Gaius Selan

And that's just to name a few. Sorry, but the RSE isn't clean of anything. I urge all supporters of the Imperial Remnant to flee to the Republic, before your Empress causes your ultimate destruction.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    (in-character)

A separation from the Tal Shiar is not somehow a 'big success' for the RSE, nor its supporters.

The only thing that finally broke the RSE and Tal Shiar apart was Sela's disappearance. Prior to that, the RSE seemed to have no problem using the Tal Shiar. Now that they're not loyal to her though, Sela sees the TS as entirely expendable - she has said that, on record.

The RSE and TS may not have been 100% linked. I have no doubt that Sela kept her secrets from Hakeev, as Hakeev did from Sela. But the two irrefutably recognized each other as legitmate - Sela recognized Hakeev as leader of her Tal Shiar, and Hakeev recognized Sela as his Empress. Neither denounced each other, neither attempted to separate themselves from within the broader "RSE" label.

Only after Sela's initial disappearance, and once Commander Ruul replaced Hakeev as head of the Tal Shiar (OOC: or so it seems - yet to be confirmed), did the two split. The RSE is now a separate state, to the Tal Shiar's pseudo-state. Prior to this, they were one and the same, and are guilty of the same crimes against the Romulan and Reman peoples.

And for those Imperial supporters that need a refresher, the crimes, including those that would've been brought against Sela as the self-proclaimed Empress of the RSE, include:

- invasion of Republic colonies and stations, including the abduction and / or murder of Republic citizens
    - invasion of independent Romulan and Reman colonies and stations, including the abduction and / or murder of locals
    - illegal bio-mechanical testing on live, unwilling Romulans and Remans
    - illegal neurological alternation of live, unwilling Romulans and Remans
    - illegal transfer / trade of live, unwilling Romulans and Remans to the Elachi for bio-genetic experimentation
    - armed assault on New Romulus, and the illegal planting of undercover agents
    - bombing of a diplomatic conference at Khitomer between the United Federation of Planets, the Klingon Empire, the Romulan Republic, and the Romulan Star Empire, resulting in the death of one Republic Citizen, RRF Commander Temer
    - mistreatment and torture, including illegal bio-mechanical engineering, of RRF officers taken prisoner, most recently Lieutenant Gaius Selan

And that's just to name a few. Sorry, but the RSE isn't clean of anything. I urge all supporters of the Imperial Remnant to flee to the Republic, before your Empress causes your ultimate destruction.

(Note this is not an ic response)

(A) The RSE as a whole not Guilty for the actions of the Tal'shiar since they went rogue. Nor is it responsible for all the crimes you listed ic above. Hakeev did his thing and Sela did her's. As for recognizing each other, they were never shown singing each other praises they were forced to acknowledge each others power, but mainly because neither had the upper hand over each other. For all intents and purposes they headed two different states hakeev's forces loyal to him. Sela's to her (B) but if we If we go by the logic of the whole being guilty of the faults of the individual, Obisek tried to kill members of The Federation or the Klingon empire Depending on what faction you played mission: the vault, and he stole Thalaron weapons that are illegal.

Obisek is part of the Repulic now. they would be responsible for his actions by that logic. Not to mention the use of thalaron weapons mounted on Republic ships including the flagship, weapons which are banned for their cruel nature and being wmd's. Whether the Federation, the Klingon empire, the Romulan star empire or the Romulan republic, No one is 'clean of anything' Every galactic power has skeletons in their closets.

If someone Supports the RSE in their rp Doesn't mean they do or don't support Sela. or the Tal'shiar. They just may support the Star empire, Just as some support the Republic, but may disagree with D'tan or alternately support him. Part of the reason why there is a rift in Romulan rp player bases, is that Both Republic and Imperial Rp'ers don't usually stop to find out details of how the other players function and draw their own conclusions.

Part of the fun of Rp'ing and good storytelling in general is you decide who you're character will become regardless of faction. As much as I hate the mechanics and the game overall, one thing bioware got right in Swtor was options, you could choose to be a good person in the Sith empire, Conversely you could choose to be a shady thug in the Republic if you wanted.
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    megatronis1megatronis1 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Don't care for politics one way or another but when I saw Chipg7's quote 'Illegal planting of undercover agents.' It made me think, is there ever legal planting of undercover agents? Sorta defeats the undercover part what with feds spying on kdf, kdf spying on feds and Republic rommies and Imp rommies spying on each other. Reminds me of Casablanca :D
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The RSE as a whole not Guilty for the actions of the Tal'shiar since they went rogue. Nor is it responsible for all the crimes you listed ic above. Hakeev did his thing and Sela did her's. As for recognizing each other, they were never shown singing each other praises they were forced to acknowledge each others power, but mainly because neither had the upper hand over each other. For all intents and purposes they headed two different states hakeev's forces loyal to him. Sela's to her

Then the RSE should've denounced the Tal Shiar, which had continued to act under the banner of the RSE, seemingly at the pleasure of the Empress. The RSE did no such thing - they are at fault.
    (B) but if we If we go by the logic of the whole being guilty of the faults of the individual, Obisek tried to kill members of The Federation or the Klingon empire Depending on what faction you played mission: the vault, and he stole Thalaron weapons that are illegal.
    Obisek is part of the Repulic now. they would be responsible for his actions by that logic. Not to mention the use of thalaron weapons mounted on Republic ships including the flagship, weapons which are banned for their cruel nature and being wmd's. Whether the Federation, the Klingon empire, the Romulan star empire or the Romulan republic, No one is 'clean of anything' Every galactic power has skeletons in their closets.

That is wrong. The Reman Resistance was acting under its own, independent authority. Obisek and the Reman Resistance, they were in fact a separate entity. The Republic had made no claims that the Resistance was acting alongside the Republic. In fact, the Republic made efforts to stop Obisek, and only afterwards did the Resistance open talks with the Republic. I never saw the RSE do anything to stop the Tal Shiar, which as I said was in fact an entity within the RSE at the time.

To the point of thalaron weapons, I have yet to see that the RRW Lleiset has an active thalaron weapon. My Tulwar has a thalaron generator, but has no thalaron gun - the Lleiset is also a Tulwar-type warbird. The presence of a generator does not itself mean it's weaponized. It can be used for energy generation, I would expect.

However, by the Federation's own admission, any treaties that had been signed with the RSE somehow became null and void with the destruction of Romulus. Why?... I don't know, but it looks like President Okeg was trying to cover his own behind on yet another Fed cloaking test accident. Either way, I don't think the Republic is bound by any anti-thalaron treaties. But that said, I don't see any evidence that the Republic uses thalaron weaponry, nor does the Reman Resistance after it joined the Republic.
    If someone Supports the RSE in their rp Doesn't mean they do or don't support Sela. or the Tal'shiar. They just may support the Star empire, Just as some support the Republic, but may disagree with D'tan or alternately support him. Part of the reason why there is a rift in Romulan rp player bases, is that Both Republic and Imperial Rp'ers don't usually stop to find out details of how the other players function and draw their own conclusions.

Part of the fun of Rp'ing and good storytelling in general is you decide who you're character will become regardless of faction. As much as I hate the mechanics and the game overall, one thing bioware got right in Swtor was options, you could choose to be a good person in the Sith empire, Conversely you could choose to be a shady thug in the Republic if you wanted.

True, but Republic players have to accept that D'Tan is the leader at this time - so we may not agree with him, but we support him for the time being. As such, RSE-aligned players have to support Sela. These are simply the choices as they are:

- D'Tan, and the Romulan Republic
    - Sela, and the Romulan Star Empire / Imperial Remnant
    - Ruui, and the Tal Shiar pseudo-state

Right now, it's those three choices. You either fall in one of them, or you're an independent - of which there are actually a handful of planets on Romulan space that have made the same choice.

As well, I'd think that now that the facts are out there, if you're part of the RSE then you're RP'ing de facto support for her. If I would've been RP'ing support for the RSE before, I sure as heck would've switched sides now after what I've seen the RSE do. That's probably why I feel so much opposition to the RSE, because they have committed unquestionably grotesque acts.
    Don't care for politics one way or another but when I saw Chipg7's quote 'Illegal planting of undercover agents.' It made me think, is there ever legal planting of undercover agents?

Hehe, yeah. Redundant redundancies point out the point ;)
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    Right now, it's those three choices. You either fall in one of them, or you're an independent - of which there are actually a handful of planets on Romulan space that have made the same choice.

As well, I'd think that now that the facts are out there, if you're part of the RSE then you're RP'ing de facto support for her. If I would've been RP'ing support for the RSE before, I sure as heck would've switched sides now after what I've seen the RSE do. That's probably why I RP so much opposition to the RSE - they're horrible.

This is why both Admirals Kalama still gag down the bile while working with the Republic at the same time working to establish the foundation to tear it all down and give rise to the Raptor Empire. I would have thought the biggest hurdle for them at this point would have been getting the equipment and materials together, but after seeing the recent action of personnel in both the Empire and Republic, I think it actually might be finding competent personnel for key positions... O.o
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't think the Republic is bound by any anti-thalaron treaties.

They are, according to "Mind Game".
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The Republic day anniversary mission shows that the Lleiset to have fully functioning Thalaron weapons and you are able to fire them in the mission so yep the Republic uses em.

On the point of Obisek, While the republic may not have put out a official press release to condone Obiseks actions it makes no difference. He did commit crimes and they got swept under the rug Once he signed on the dotted line, no doubt at least partly because of the additional troops, ships and military expertise he brought to the table.

To the point of only having 3 options for rp (excluding independents) you forget that many Romulans in the Star empire supported Donatra (despite her disappearance). Again you can't just say if you support the Empire you support Sela, It's really not that black and white.

I reject the idea that rp must follow a strict "if you're not with me then you're my enemy" mantra (Whether Republic or Empire), and i'm not the only one, there are other Star empire rp'ers who support Donatra over Sela.
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    They are, according to "Mind Game".

I remember that line, yeah. But I'm not sure if that was a full treaty ban, or a general disapproval. President Okeg really screwed up the legality of just about everything when he invalidated all treaties with the Romulans.

Either way, yeah it's not a good thing at the very least.
    The Republic day anniversary mission shows that the Lleiset to have fully functioning Thalaron weapons and you are able to fire them in the mission so yep the Republic uses em.

Admittedly, I came in just after the last Republic Day ran. If that's the case, then I stand corrected. I thought I had read somewhere before that there was no thalaron weapon on the Lleiset, which may be wrong.
    On the point of Obisek, While the republic may not have put out a official press release to condone Obiseks actions it makes no difference. He did commit crimes and they got swept under the rug Once he signed on the dotted line, no doubt at least partly because of the additional troops, ships and military expertise he brought to the table.

First of all, there is no way the Remans were bound by treaties against thalaron weaponry. President Okeg again... not a fan of that guy at all. So as unfortunate as it is, they were within their own authority to do that, even if the other major powers in the quadrant find it reprehensible.

The Reman Resistance being brought in with little-to-no punishment is a reality of the times. The same is afforded to those who defect from the RSE and Tal Shiar. The Republic could levy an insane amount of crimes against any new citizen - all Republic citizens were at one point not, and depending on their profession they may have been guilty of some crimes directly against the Republic. But it seems we're allowing citizens a fresh start wherever feasible. Great examples: Commander Mena and Subcommander Rai Sahen, both former Tal Shiar, now leading the Delta Expedition on behalf of the Republic and the entire Delta Alliance.

It's definitely in the legal gray area - but when the Romulan peoples are in a 3-way standoff, there has to be some allowance for those who genuinely join the Republic's cause.
    To the point of only having 3 options for rp (excluding independents) you forget that many Romulans in the Star empire supported Donatra (despite her disappearance). Again you can't just say if you support the Empire you support Sela, It's really not that black and white.

I reject the idea that rp must follow a strict "if you're not with me then you're my enemy" mantra (Whether Republic or Empire), and i'm not the only one, there are other Star empire rp'ers who support Donatra over Sela.

You're right - I'm sure Donatra's return would have a very, very interesting effect on allegiances. But the fact is that the RSE is unfortunately an enemy of the Republic at this time. Sure, a warbird commander can be in the RSE and wish for Donatra or another leader. But that commander still flies the RSE flag, and at the moment that carries with it a whole host of baggage.

And I'd levy that against myself too. I like D'Tan, and I think he's been good for the nascent Republic. But I do hope that the government is set up soon and we get a chance to exercise the democracy that comes with a republican system. In the meantime though, I understand that my warbird flies the Republic banner, and as such I'm representing the state that D'Tan currently runs. If I didn't support D'Tan, or if I felt the Republic as-is presents a problem, it would be incumbent on me to not fly under the RRF prefix.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Admittedly, I came in just after the last Republic Day ran. If that's the case, then I stand corrected. I thought I had read somewhere before that there was no thalaron weapon on the Lleiset, which may be wrong.

I figure thats a case of gameplay and story segregation.

Basically I figure Cryptic trying to get more people interested in buying the faction flagships, so they let you test drive them with all the bells and whistles so you might be willing to buy it.