What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Dead Star Empire

Comments

• Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Precisely. However, that does not mean that the civil war need continue. The Imperial Remnant can no longer afford to fight a war against a foe as powerful as the Republic. It is time to make peace. True it means recognizing that we have lost, but it means our survival. Surrender under the terms of remaining a sovereign state and allow member world's of both governments to choose which regime they will choose to live under. Recoup, regroup, and rebuild. Eventually the day will come when the Republic will crumble either internally or externally. If we want to live to see that day, the war must end.

Why do you imagine that the RSE will get to negotiate terms of surrender? I have personally advised D'Tan to accept nothing less from the Tal'Shiar's Empire than unconditional surrender.
  • Options
    markofathena2markofathena2 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    protogoth wrote: »
    Why do you imagine that the RSE will get to negotiate terms of surrender? I have personally advised D'Tan to accept nothing less from the Tal'Shiar's Empire than unconditional surrender.

While I agree the Tal'Shiar are monsters not all of them have a choice in the matter. Honestly if i had my way i would choose a planet and place all the Tal'Shiar on it and tell them survive for a few hundred years and then come talk to us.
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The Empire may be crushed, reduced to a shadow of what it was. It may have morphed into a grotesque defilement on what it once was. It may as an entity be completely destroyed in the future. But if will never die. As long as there is one Romulan who stays true to the ideals of the Empire, who fights out (however silently) against this imposter Vulcan-ran government, the Star Empire remains in existence. As has been said so often, men and governments can be destroyed, but ideas are immortal.

"Republics become democracies, and Democracies ALWAYS elect a dictator." -Aristotle Greek Philosopher, Astronomer, and mentor to Alexander the Great.

"Der Wille Zur Macht; the will to power" -Fredrick Nietzsche

"As all those have shown who have discussed civil institutions, and as every history is full of examples, it is necessary to whoever arranges to found a Republic and establish laws in it, to presuppose that all men are bad and that they will use their malignity of mind every time they have the opportunity; and if such malignity is hidden for a time, it proceeds from the unknown reason that would not be known because the experience of the contrary had not been seen, but time, which is said to be the father of every truth, will cause it to be discovered. " -Niccolo Machiavelli

"Nothing is more unreliable than the populace, nothing more obscure than human intentions, nothing more deceptive than the whole electoral system." -Marcus Tullius Cicero

Bide your time. Even the most virtuous governments succumb to rot and corruption. It will only be a matter of time before the current incarnation of Republican Government falls to despotism as have so many nations have done so before it.
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And I happen to know D'Tan was killed two months ago and replaced with a surgically and genetically altered Tal Shiar agent who will have no such qualms. Looks like Khiana's plan worked out after all.

:D

More seriously, If the Republic actually represents the virtues it says it does, reconciliation should happen sooner than later. The Tal Shiar's silly continued attempts to throw a wrench in this really need to be resolved, one way or another. Perhaps seeing a more Republic-Friendly government rise out of the infighting on Rator would be a good place to start. Though who knows what sort of role the new episode with Sela will play.
  • Options
    tolmariustolmarius Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    More seriously, If the Republic actually represents the virtues it says it does, reconciliation should happen sooner than later. The Tal Shiar's silly continued attempts to throw a wrench in this really need to be resolved, one way or another. Perhaps seeing a more Republic-Friendly government rise out of the infighting on Rator would be a good place to start. Though who knows what sort of role the new episode with Sela will play.

What infighting on Rator? Didn't you know it is under Federation control now? Or did you forget how to read a map? :D

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/sto.gamepedia.com/f/fd/In-Game_Galaxy_Map.png
    3T6cHqb.png
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    davidwford wrote: »
    Bide your time. Even the most virtuous governments succumb to rot and corruption. It will only be a matter of time before the current incarnation of Republican Government falls to despotism as have so many nations have done so before it.

Probably, yes.

But the RSE as we knew it was around since well before the first Earth Starfleet ventured out in the mid-2150s. That's at least 300+ years. That said, we also know the Vulcan Awakening and the resulting Romulan Sundering was around the time of Earth's 4th century, so the RSE in some form was probably upwards of a millennium or two old.

So the Republic has plenty of time to rise and fall before being replaced or radically reformed. The Republic, in some form, will likely guide the course of the next millennia of Romulan history.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The whole Sela as Empress of the Star Empire was a cool idea, but then lost all credibility with the newest Cryptic Episode content. I mean seriously, the legitimate and full recognized leader of a foreign power gathers a large combat fleet, flies deep into Federation Space (not just some excusable border 'deviation'), and attacks a MAJOR home world with the intent to completely obliterate it.

How is this not a act of war by any stretch of the imagination?

It would be like the US ignoring the attack on Pearl Harbor during World War II and saying something like, "Oh, you know those Japanese...they are just upset, they really didn't mean anything." :rolleyes:

Come on Cryptic. This is just BAD. At least the old episodes had some semblance the Empire was holding together. Now, we just have a crazy tyrant at the reigns of a what amounts to a minor enemy faction.

So yeah, it will be interesting to see where they go with the 'Sela and her bad guys' storyline. (OH, and for goodness sake, can we please get the original Sela NPC model back? The New one is HORRID).
    Actually it makes sense.... consider what the player does in the Romulan FE series.... you attack RATOR 3! The new Romulan capital!!! sounds like an act of war to me. Then Sela vanishes and the war is over... for now.

Old Sela didn't look like Sela. It was just a Generic NPC.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Actually it makes sense.... consider what the player does in the Romulan FE series.... you attack RATOR 3! The new Romulan capital!!! sounds like an act of war to me. Then Sela vanishes and the war is over... for now.

Old Sela didn't look like Sela. It was just a Generic NPC.

I actually think the old one looked more like her but alas.

haven't done the new rom episodes in a while but are u sure u still attack Rator 3?
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    haven't done the new rom episodes in a while but are u sure u still attack Rator 3?

We don't attack Rator III anymore, but that was just an example of how the new mission's attack on Vulcan is not the first example of open war with the Romulans in the game.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    So long as the RSE does in fact give its member systems the free choice to either remain with the Empire, become independent, or join the Republic, then I'd say that's a fair deal.

But, the RSE needs to cease its attacks on Republic and independent systems entirely. And it remains to be seen if they'll take that route - so far, it hasn't happened. But I do hold out hope.

So long as the 'Romulan Republic' agrees to surrender all the systems they have stolen from their inhabitants, cease their wars of extermination and surrender their war criminals, I believe this is quite workable.

First step. There's a fleet admiral in the 'Romulan Republic' who - at D'Tan's orders, and completely unprovoked - attacked and killed a group of civilian archaeologists. Said admiral then proceeded to conduct a series of raids to exterminate every member of this race on the planet, in order to seize their land for the Republic.

I believe turning this terrorist over to Tholian justice - with a formal apology, and full concession of the territory - would be a good first step towards legitimizing the group as a government, and halting complaints about 'kill squads', 'genocide', and 'secret police'.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So long as the 'Romulan Republic' agrees to surrender all the systems they have stolen from their inhabitants, cease their wars of extermination and surrender their war criminals, I believe this is quite workable.

Republic worlds have joined willingly.

And "wars of extermination?" Seriously? That's all from the RSE / Tal Shiar handbook, and they've been doing that right up to the present point in the storyline. Our people, as well as non-Republic independents, have been abducted en masse and fed to the Elachi, given to the Tal Shiar for Borg experiments, or generally held and tortured. Our worlds have been raided and burned, and our people massacred in the assault. C'mon, look at the facts here.

Also, everyone is at de facto war with the Tholians - 'cause as soon as the Tholians see a Human, Romulan, or Klingon they shoot. The Tholians want all flesh-and-blood beings dead, and there'll be a constant state of aggression for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    Damar was never on the same level of evil, nor incompetence as Sela. It's like comparing a highschool bully that bullied others because of peer pressure with Stalin.

More like Benito Mussolini. Stalin was actually competent at something.

[shameless self-promotion] Worffan101 and I wrote a piece for one of the Unofficial Literary Challenges positing a way an Imperial/Republic peace deal might be played out. The plot hook is that Velal* succeeded Sela as praetor when she crowned herself, and managed to marshal control of what was left of the regular Romulan military after Brea III, then sued for peace on grounds of he plain couldn't afford the war anymore. [/shameless self-promotion]

* Romulan general who turned up commanding the Romulan portion of the anti-Dominion alliance late in DS9, then helped Sela overthrow Taris in The Path to 2409. Our theory was that he saw Sela as the lesser of two evils at the time and has been kicking himself ever since.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited March 2015

YOu're gonna have to point out the worlds that we've stolen, which of us are war criminals, and what war of extermination we are waging.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • Options
    d3cubedd3cubed Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Although I do understand the silliness of the Federation's response to Sela's attack, I think we can sort of justify their choice. The Federation is, at the time of the attack, fighting wars against the Klingons, Borg, and True Way simultaneously. Furthermore, Sela's ability to wage war was likely cut by at least 25% in the failed attack, and because no civilians (and, presumably, only a few starfleet officers) were killed, the Federation council would be under no major obligations to launch a counterattack by an already war-weary public. In other words, Sela's attack ended its own war--the utter failure of the Romulan forces to damage Starfleet made it impossible for Sela to fight a sustained conflict.
    I support Handsome Phaser Guy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Probably, yes.

But the RSE as we knew it was around since well before the first Earth Starfleet ventured out in the mid-2150s. That's at least 300+ years. That said, we also know the Vulcan Awakening and the resulting Romulan Sundering was around the time of Earth's 4th century, so the RSE in some form was probably upwards of a millennium or two old.

So the Republic has plenty of time to rise and fall before being replaced or radically reformed. The Republic, in some form, will likely guide the course of the next millennia of Romulan history.

I like to think that the current Republic under D'Tan's leadership is but the first of several Romulan Republics. That the Romulan people swing between Representative government under an elected Senate and an absolute authoritarian dictator or despot under the title "Emperor" or "Empress", could be but an expression of the Romulan character. Despite a restoration of Republic Government (as it seems to be in some form until Donatra's rise to power), the government retains the nomenclature of "Empire" despite not having an absolute monarch.
  • Options
    lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited March 2015

First step. There's a fleet admiral in the 'Romulan Republic' who - at D'Tan's orders, and completely unprovoked - attacked and killed a group of civilian archaeologists. Said admiral then proceeded to conduct a series of raids to exterminate every member of this race on the planet, in order to seize their land for the Republic.

I believe turning this terrorist over to Tholian justice - with a formal apology, and full concession of the territory - would be a good first step towards legitimizing the group as a government, and halting complaints about 'kill squads', 'genocide', and 'secret police'.

What worlds have we stolen? They ALL willingly joined us. What war criminals beyond your own? And it would be quite workable if you did that

OHHHHH! You mean Nukara prime? If so the Tholians were trespassing on a world under FEDERATION quarintine because there is a stone age race on the planet. and sorry those wernt unarmed civilians, those were battle-ready Tholian soldiers.

And i needed Nukara marks
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lessley00 wrote: »
    What worlds have we stolen? They ALL willingly joined us. What war criminals beyond your own? And it would be quite workable if you did that

OHHHHH! You mean Nukara prime? If so the Tholians were trespassing on a world under FEDERATION quarintine because there is a stone age race on the planet. and sorry those wernt unarmed civilians, those were battle-ready Tholian soldiers.

And i needed Nukara marks

I think phantrosity was referring to the Tholians we fight on Dewa III in "The Search for New Romulus". They were looking for Dewan/Iconian artifacts on the planet when we showed up.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    I think phantrosity was referring to the Tholians we fight on Dewa III in "The Search for New Romulus". They were looking for Dewan/Iconian artifacts on the planet when we showed up.

civilian archaeologists dont wear Robotic Powered Armor with weapons mounted on them :P aside from that he almost has a point.

This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

And started shooting at us on sight. But by now you should all know how the imperialists twist things around to make themselves look good and their enemies look bad (even in this forum whether IC or OOC). Consider, for example the sheer audacity of naming people of the colony worlds which they attacked as "terrorists."
  • Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    davidwford wrote: »
    "Republics become democracies, and Democracies ALWAYS elect a dictator." -Aristotle Greek Philosopher, Astronomer, and mentor to Alexander the Great.

"Der Wille Zur Macht; the will to power" -Fredrick Nietzsche

"As all those have shown who have discussed civil institutions, and as every history is full of examples, it is necessary to whoever arranges to found a Republic and establish laws in it, to presuppose that all men are bad and that they will use their malignity of mind every time they have the opportunity; and if such malignity is hidden for a time, it proceeds from the unknown reason that would not be known because the experience of the contrary had not been seen, but time, which is said to be the father of every truth, will cause it to be discovered. " -Niccolo Machiavelli

"Nothing is more unreliable than the populace, nothing more obscure than human intentions, nothing more deceptive than the whole electoral system." -Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Democracy is incapable of perseverance. Since it is shared by political parties that rule for one, two, or three years, it is unable to conceive and carry out plans of longer duration. One party annuls the plans and efforts of the other. What is conceived and built by one party today is destroyed by another tomorrow. In a country in which much has to be built, in which building is indeed the primary historical requirement, this disadvantage of democracy constitutes a true danger. It is a situation similar to that which prevails in an establishment where masters are changed every year, each new master bringing in his own plans, ruining what was done by some, and starting new things, which will in turn be destroyed by tomorrow's masters. Democracy prevents the politician's fulfillment of his obligations to the nation. Even the most well-meaning politician becomes, in a democracy, the slave of his supporters, because either he satisfies their personal interests or they destroy his organization. The politician lives under the tyranny and permanent threat of the electoral bosses. He is placed in a position in which he must choose between the termination of his lifetime work and the satisfaction of the demands of party members. And the politician, given such a choice, opts for the latter. He does so not out of his own pocket, but out of that of the country. He creates jobs, sets up missions, commissions, sinecures—all rostered in the nation's budget— which put increasingly heavy pressures on a tired people." -Corneliu Codreanu
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    bltrrn wrote: »
    Corneliu Codreanu

was a Romanian Fascist and terrorist who, among other things, openly called for the extermination of Jews, was the founder of the The Legion of the Archangel Michael (which, during the first year of its existence, 1927, organized the sacking and burning of a synagogue in Oradea, and in 1930, encouraged the peasants of Borsa to attack the city's Jews), advocated collectivism, and expressed his full support for Adolph Hitler and the TRIBBLE in 1933. and was sentenced to hard labor, but was instead executed by the Gendarmie in 1938.

Yeah, you picked a thoroughly admirable source there, Sym. Not.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    https://i.imgflip.com/i4ixk.jpg

All that need to be said.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    was a Romanian Fascist and terrorist who, among other things, openly called for the extermination of Jews, was the founder of the The Legion of the Archangel Michael (which, during the first year of its existence, 1927, organized the sacking and burning of a synagogue in Oradea, and in 1930, encouraged the peasants of Borsa to attack the city's Jews), advocated collectivism, and expressed his full support for Adolph Hitler and the TRIBBLE in 1933. and was sentenced to hard labor, but was instead executed by the Gendarmie in 1938.

Yeah, you picked a thoroughly admirable source there, Sym. Not.

....and those other guys we're 100% admirable, yeah right.
    R E M A I N

• Options
    edited March 2015
    ....and those other guys we're 100% admirable, yeah right.

What "other guys"?

And why does anything they said or did make what your source said and did any less ethically reprehensible?

Tu Quoque. Look it up.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    What "other guys"?

And why does anything they said or did make what your source said and did any less ethically reprehensible?

Tu Quoque. Look it up.

Says the Communist. :D
    R E M A I N

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Says the Logician. :D

Fixed that for you.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It would be nice to see an intelligence file on the current state of the empire.

After Slela went byby we herd nothing from it other than there's chaos.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    I felt bad for killing imperial romulans in the FE, right up until it was revealed in character they were working for Sela... I am kinda glad Gaius got the 'borg mind control' job instead of being a traitor on his own.