Install Arc
Options

Delta Recruitment

Comments

• Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    amezuki wrote: »
    The dev blog may yet render this speculation moot once it goes up, but that was not my read of it.

The way I read this passage was that these rewards would be unlocked for your entire account--you just have to play the new character to unlock them.

I'll wait to see what the blog says, but I do hope the development team understands what an apocalyptically bad idea it would be to permanently turn every pre-existing character into a second-class citizen by giving new characters access to any upgrades that existing characters can never get.
    Still sounds like a replacement main; even if only temporary.

With the way it sounds, it's likely it could grant account-bound bonus XP "boxes" or something just to speed level some alts.

Some games have a similar system that's less convoluted but more costly; a certain NCSoft game for example has insta-level items in their Cash Shop that alts can use only as long as one character is at the max level, and it caps insta-leveling to at around 5 levels below the max cap or so.

Either way, we will have to see once the news bit goes live.

EDIT: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9080423-delta-recruitment
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Is there a Captain Shredder like the ones we feed Boffs into to get PADDs? Maybe get some account bound versions of the special ships they had?

So one way or another, I'll need to get a slot and that captain will have none of the event ships I have stockpiled so I at least have a T5-U ship to fly on any captain who survived the Delta Restructuring.

And it's a six week event right after months of solid events that didn't let me play what I wanted to without a one year (or worse) penalty for not dropping everything and doing the event?

I don't know which is worse, buying new slots or putting one of my retired captains permanently out to pasture.

Throw a free slot on for the event at least.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So one way or another, I'll need to get a slot and that captain will have none of the event ships I have stockpiled so I at least have a T5-U ship to fly on any captain who survived the Delta Restructuring.

Just to clarify, everyone will be getting a free character slot with this once it goes live :)

It is all the way down at the bottom of the blog post.

~Smirk
  • Options
    amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Throw a free slot on for the event at least.
    They did.

Everyone is getting an extra character slot specifically for this.

(edit: ninja'd by smirk)
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just say NO! Of course, Cryptic/PWE are counting on all the OCD/min-maxers not wanting to be outclassed by those players who just can't bring themselves to say NO, so here is the next layer of power creep & monetization... :(
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The use of the word "Temporal" and the phrase "back in time" makes me fear for the integrity of the Temporal Science Vessel.

I'd like to repeat my plea for Cryptic to not rehash the Wells in the same half-assed way they've rehashed the Jem'Hadar Attack Ship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Just to clarify, everyone will be getting a free character slot with this once it goes live :)

~Smirk

Since that's the case and it's not a pay-to-play event I have far less issue with it.

edit: Actually, I'd have led with the free character slot bit, not hid it in a parenthetical at the very bottom.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Would we need to roll a new kdf, Romulan and fed to get all the rewards or is one character enough?
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just say NO! Of course, Cryptic/PWE are counting on all the OCD/min-maxers not wanting to be outclassed by those players who just can't bring themselves to say NO, so here is the next layer of power creep & monetization... :(
    Not exactly monetization when they give you the free Character slot.

And taking into account that the spenders have likely already unlocked Tier ships all the way to T6, they're effectively "set", more or less.

Some of those players also have R&D 15, thus able to craft any throwaway equipment that their new characters can/will use. Add in the Dil from this event in addition to the Dil from mission rewards, and a Superior Tech upgrade (also craftable), and that results in those Mk II items lasting those new characters to around Mk VI~VII depending on whether they Rarity boosted along the way.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well, I was right. It was as stupid as it sounds. I...just don't even know anymore.

You guys are all high that spaceweed or something. Grown on one of those illegal Bolian farming colonies? Gimmie some! :D
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2015

~Smirk

Yeah I still don't see how I would use it though even though its a nice gesture. I already have so many alts I can't really play because of how this grind called DR has ruined my enjoyment of the game. I just do not see myself building up yet another alt I won't really ever use/play.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2015

~Smirk

There are still certain issues associated with this particular decision... But meh...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'd assume that you only need one new character for everyone on the account to benefit. I think that Cryptic would hear from a lot of people if they were expected to buy 2 more character slots, AND run all 3 characters through the starter missions. Also, they often give away tier < 5 ships, so it'll be nice to actually some of them.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    The use of the word "Temporal" and the phrase "back in time" makes me fear for the integrity of the Temporal Science Vessel.

I'd like to repeat my plea for Cryptic to not rehash the Wells in the same half-assed way they've rehashed the Jem'Hadar Attack Ship.

All of the T6 characters get free Wells T6 ships when they hit 60! Imagine the firestorm that'd set off!
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    Well... I think it actually sounds rather interesting.

whats wrong?

I was planning to start leveling my low level joined trill engineer soon but I may just delete her and remake her when this event starts.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015

~Smirk

I think the main concern was that we are being forced to create a new character that therefore does not have access to any previous event ships. So even the most anal of us will not be able to access those traits/consoles/cores/etc on these characters.

I for one would much rather plop one of my existing characters in that recruit slot, even if it meant droping its level to zero again. At least then is still have access to my current unlocks.

Heck, this new recruit slot won't even have access to the current event item, the AP torp. I really, really don't like this ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I was planning to start leveling my low level joined trill engineer soon but I may just delete her and remake her when this event starts.

Why? You're getting a free slot?
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    swamarian wrote: »
    All of the T6 characters get free Wells T6 ships when they hit 60! Imagine the firestorm that'd set off!

No, no, it won't be called the Wells. It'll be called the Krenim Imperium Ultra Temporal Cruiser or some other nonsense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    Why? You're getting a free slot?

I've already have more slots then I plan to use :P

Can't just buy a single character slot unfortunately...
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think the main concern was that we are being forced to create a new character that therefore does not have access to any previous event ships. So even the most anal of us will not be able to access those traits/consoles/cores/etc on these characters.

I for one would much rather plop one of my existing characters in that recruit slot, even if it meant droping its level to zero again. At least then is still have access to my current unlocks.

Heck, this new recruit slot won't even have access to the current event item, the AP torp. I really, really don't like this ...

This is such a fantastic idea. I would be more inclined to participate if I could use one of my existing characters temporally blasted back to zero (all are level 80+)

I don't know, I probably will make a new character but I really don't wanna. I got all factions and classes covered. I play all 5 of my characters as mains. And this is way too much as it is.

I'm personally more concerned by the confirmation that the Iconians are coming shortly. It is not easy to keep a story going after the climax. Just ask George Lucas.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    All this talk of time travel might confirm some of the "leaks" about the next FE, potentially involving a bit of temporal shenanigans and the I[REDACTED]'s chroniton s[REDACTED]...
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    They did something like this in CO, and it was NOT well received.
    Except that this isn't a case of "create a new toon that has to be this heavily-gimped AT" (or, here, new Profession, I suppose) "and then level it to 40 before you can have any of the new stuff on your other toons."

This is done in a more sensible fashion - as things are unlocked during leveling, they instantly apply to your entire account. No waiting. Sounds like maybe they learned from the implementation of the Reawakened Automaton. Now if the next Reawakened AT unlocks can only be handled in a similar way...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I've already have more slots then I plan to use :P

Can't just buy a single character slot unfortunately...

Well... thats the point? You don't need to buy another one... or make room in one occupied.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No, no, it won't be called the Wells. It'll be called the Krenim Imperium Ultra Temporal Cruiser or some other nonsense.

Ground weapon will be Super Duper Iconian Scrambling Ontometer Vaporizing disruptor pistol.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Meh... I've got 5 alts. It'll give me a good excuse to dust off my NX, Exeter, and a few others.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Cool idea. :)
  • Options
    copperminkcoppermink Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015

~Smirk

Who the **** cares? I got char slots in reserve for when i come across an new idea/concept. When i want to. Not when i get forced to. Horible, horible idea. My mains will be fighting the iconians, no some force fed noob char.
  • Options
    captfabulouscaptfabulous Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yeah I still don't see how I would use it though even though its a nice gesture. I already have so many alts I can't really play because of how this grind called DR has ruined my enjoyment of the game. I just do not see myself building up yet another alt I won't really ever use/play.

You play it for the event to gain all the bonuses available, and once the event is over you shelve it or use it as a mule.

I'm absolutely fine with this as long as they're giving out character slots. That was really what pushed me from "no way" to "ok, sure, why not?"

The question I have is will different factions offer different permanent bonuses, as in, if I want all the bonuses from the event I need to play each faction? Or are they all the same and I only need to do one?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The Heinlein-class, featuring the new Universal Burroughs-Carter Continua Device Console.

H.G. Wells wasn't the only guy to write about time travel, you know...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    but look how this tier of toon has been engineered to make your other toons less than optimal to play. they wont get the dil bonus, they wont get whatever the new grind is, the weapons or whatever will only 'benefit' them (reminds me of 't6-capable' for some reason) and they recieve only a ship trait.
    now imagine if the plan to get our dead alts back into use is to essentially make everyone roll a new main. a special new class of toon that 'benefits' the other toons by trickling down xp and whatnot to the others. what if this toon is intended to become your grind toon. your new main...
This discussion has been closed.