What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sector Space Revamp

Comments

• Options
    jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Thank Goodness, I was always fascinated with space and now I will actually EXPLORE it more as real stars and planets as it was meant to be.

Time to tune up the space sector playlist
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i remain unconvinced of this new sector space. unlike the rest of the skeptics who immediately jumped ship in thinking cryptics ship isn't sinking even though they should know better.. i have played on the new sector space, there is a lot to be done still to make it easier to work with.. assuming the devs care to notice any responses in tribble.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    gravtronf2pgravtronf2p Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Oh, Cryptic. You have done it to me again. My teeth ach and I am drooling all over my keyboard and cat. How long must I endure such anticipation?
  • Options
    captmorenzocaptmorenzo Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Does this mean that you added the Gorn homeworld Gornar to the map? Can't... Wait!! This is all so exciting!
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Temba, his arms wide, indeed.

This. Sounds. Amazing.
  • Options
    antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is so ace!! Also massive props for the Hitchhikers guide reference.

Hopefully the system display will also finally give us a DS9 that's orbiting Bajor rather than just near it too!
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Both questions have been answered within this Thread :

-> SOL is an important part of the "Beta-Quadrant" Storyline (same as Vega) ... so I guess it's easier that way ... besides it was always on the edge between Alpha & Beta ...

Thankies for your effort to quote me the answers. The thread was so huge, so I didn't read the whole one through. :)
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    3.) The stars are way too bright. Although I 'get it', I'd like to overlay a filter of some kind.

Otherwise - can't wait to have this ingame.

You can lower their brightness by turning down your bloom intensity. I set mine to about 50% so I wasn't blinded when taking screenshots, it was still pretty bright but not as bad haha. Though they do look pretty so I hope they don't dull them too much as with bloom turned off they look awful.
    awlaforge wrote: »
    Agreed. I spent about an hour just zipping freely around the alpha quadrant.

One question for Tacofangs. Right now it is possible for a federation officer with a diplomacy rating of 1 or 2 (can't remember off the top of my head what my tribble officer's diplomacy is) to enter the Q'onos sector. Are the diplomatic/ maurading restrictions going to be re-implemented?

Yeah I noticed that too, the toon I was testing with doesn't have a high diplomacy rank, nor has he started any DR missions or the mission Surface Tension. So as far as his story is concerned, the war is still ongoing. Yet I was able to fly right up to Qo'nos and park in orbit haha.
    one curious question, about the dyson sphere. that place is still divided into sectors? or will the walls drop out there and get to see different areas of combat further out as far as the safe zone? but this would mean placing alliance ships, turrets and other things inside the minefield area. as well as adding a few random ships disengage from the middle voth fighting to head through the mines.

I'd say it will remain as is. It's not classed as sector space, also it has a lot more in it than sector space and already causes huge FPS drops for a lot of people. If they opened it all up it'd probably kill some graphics cards haha.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Remember that 'Gamma Orionis' and all sector blocks, basically don't exist anymore.

So the sector blocks don't exist anymore. Did you remember to change all the mission text that says to fly to such and such sector block?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've waited a long time for this update.

Thanks for taking it seriously (spreadsheet, and those amazing celestial shift graphics)!
  • Options
    danielhunter1991danielhunter1991 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm glad their finally tiding up the alpha quadrant side of the map, although I'm not sure what's going on with Cardassian space it looks a bit all over the place. Deep Space Nine and Bajor look a bit more cut off from the rest of the Federation compared to before. In fact both locations almost look like there in Cardassian space for that matter.
  • Options
    davideightdavideight Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    actually bajor and ds9 are in cardassian space, canonwise. i like the new revamp, i just hope my pc can mount it ... i already see myself lagging through space like in that ocampan freighter map ...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    davideight wrote: »
    actually bajor and ds9 are in cardassian space, canonwise. i like the new revamp, i just hope my pc can mount it ... i already see myself lagging through space like in that ocampan freighter map ...

I thought when the DMZ was set up that DS9 and Bajor where no longer in Cardassian space, hence why the Federation was helping out the Bajorans :confused: .
  • Options
    captaingalaxy1captaingalaxy1 Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hi Devs,

Nice work with the Sector Space Revamp, something that certaintly will feel like a quality change to the game.

With the removal of some older things like ground/space memory alpha map and sizing down of the Romulan Missions e.t.c the game has started to feel a smaller in content.

Hopefully there are plans in the works to replace what was lost, fix bugs with the gameworld and outside it for those parts of the gameworld that will be retained and enhanced as the game evolves further.

I have enjoyed Delta Rising and I enjoyed Legacy of Romulus as well when it launched. I also loved the feel of the game when it went free to play. Hopefully for long term game success this revamp of sector space will be the point when the game grows for the better across the board whilst improving the stability of the game as a whole for issues related to the game and its engine/software whilst keeping it up to date.

Looking forward to the Sector Space Revamp and a better STO in 2015 and beyond

Captain Galaxy

Since 2012
    "Omega Class will prevail she cannot be defeated!"
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    keep in mind that actual space is 3 dimensional, and it might make a lot more sense at a different angle. if you look at "The Wrath of Khan"

No it actually wouldn't it has to be close enough to the area Earth is in that sending The Enterprise which was on a training mission doesn't seem nonsensical, it also has to be in an area the Klingons could get to especially since Cestus III puts the sector block near Gorn space.

Honestly the only area that would fit would be the gap area left of Eta Eridani and below Alpha Trianguli since it fits the TOS Enterprise 's old stomping grounds.

Plus its consistent with the Vanguard novels where that particular area of space was considered pretty far out to the Romulans.

Not to mention not being that far from the Borg's initial invasion site of Vega Colony.
    the Neutral zone around the Klingon Empire was this random Glob.

Thats was becuase it was originally supposed to be the Romulan Neutral Zone hence why it surrounds it there was no Klingon Neutral Zone before that.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Captains! We're all super excited to finally see the walls come down and let you guys fly around the Alpha, Beta and Delta Quadrants uninhibited.

Learn more about it here.

~LaughingTrendy

Um... LT...

Shaka, when the walls fell.

It's often translated as failure. Might want to consider removing it as your sub-title in your blog/article.

:: shrug :: :o Just a suggestion.

Otherwise, this all sounds great.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    YAY!

:::throws confetti:::

LOl, ah come one Taco, if it is as fun as it appears, than you all should feel damn proud of the work involved into it.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Tacofangs a minor nitpick, but since you guys are redoing the maps as well - can you please mark Ganalda space station with a proper icon on the map in the manner in which all the other space stations are marked?
    This has been missed last time when you enhanced the maps to have actual icons for certain locations and the way Ganalda isn't even mentioned on the new map (not even the Ganalda system as far as I can see) will create confusion, especially for new players. A lot of people asking "Where's Ganalda Station" these days with the anniversary game. :o

schmedicke wrote: »
    I don't recognize the kdf or romi vessels in the pics. Does anyone know what they are?

The Klingon one is the Klinzhai Command Battlecruiser.
    The Romulan one is the Vastam Command Battlecruiser.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Start stockpiling the band' now. Whispers points to Cryptic using the opportunity to finally nerf the last Bastian of non irritating dil accumulation; doffing.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Um... LT...

Shaka, when the walls fell.

It's often translated as failure. Might want to consider removing it as your sub-title in your blog/article.

:: shrug :: :o Just a suggestion.

Otherwise, this all sounds great.

Taco already mentioned earlier in the thread that he felt compelled to use that phrase in the blog because people have been posting it all over since the announcement about the sector blocks merging.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=22550801&postcount=94
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm glad their finally tiding up the alpha quadrant side of the map, although I'm not sure what's going on with Cardassian space it looks a bit all over the place. Deep Space Nine and Bajor look a bit more cut off from the rest of the Federation compared to before. In fact both locations almost look like there in Cardassian space for that matter.
    That's because they ARE. DS9 was built by the Cardassians while they were occupying Bajor.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Nice blog. Awesome work. Looks great so far on tribble.
    Temba, his arms wide!
    Thank you. Its a wonderful gift from STO team :)
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A bit of feedback from just flying around:

First Issue:

Now that there three active quadrants; the fact the 'System List' tab currently only list systems in the Quadrant the player is in; the setup may be a bit daunting/confusing to new starting players, or players that just don't have an in depth knowledge of Star Trek.

Example: A new player wants to visit the main location he knows from Deep Space 9 - the station itself. He warps into Alpha Quadrant Sector space, brings up the Map - sees the 'System List tab; types in 'Deep Space 9' - and sees NOTHING come up. He may stick with it and try to find out if the DS location actually exists in game; or may just become frustrated; and you guy DON'T want the latter.

Remember WAY back when you first went F2P - on the KDF side you REMOVED the fact that the Q'Nos 'First City' location signs first displayed Klingon characters; but once a player got close enough, auto-translated into English (or localized language characters) BECAUSE you believed that players first seeing signs in Klingon might frustrate new players BEFORE they realized the signs would do just that.

IMO - The Area map tab now displays such a HUGE area - new players could easily get confused or frustrated when trying to fly to a location in another Quadrant.

Suggestion: Make it that either ALL system locations in STO can be displayed on the System list no matter what Quadrant the player is in - and if a location in another Quadrant in selected - have a Text box pop up saying something like:

"The star system you have selected is in the <Quadrant Name> Quadrant. Helm will set a course to the <Current Quadrant Name>/<System Location Quadrant Name> Border. Once the ship has cleared the Quadrant boundary, select the star system again, and Helm will auto-navigate the ship to that star system."

OR

Have the Quadrant Boundaries show at the TOP of the System list when the tab is selected and be mouse click selectable from the actual Area map, OR the larger full Galaxy map.

----

Second Issue:

The Galaxy Map itself now could use a 'Center on Player Ship' button like the Area Map currently does.

----

Concerns about the current Tribble server Borg Red Alert implementation:

It currently plays like just another "Kill<X> <Enemy Type> Squadron" Deep Space encounter. There's no B'Ger Command ship (or actual Borg Cubes) anywhere in the three Borg Red Alerts I did on Tribble.
    ^^^
    I hope that's because (for whatever reason) what passes for a Borg Red Alert on Tribble is just a placeholder and the Borg Red Alerts will be restored (playability wise) to something similar to what they still are on the Holodeck server before all this goes Live to Holodeck.

I'm concerned about the Borg Alerts because I ALSO played a Tholian Red Alert on Tribble, and once in the 'system encounter' map the Tholian Red Alert still plays the same way it does on Holodeck.

----

And lastly, I just have to give major Kudos to the team that worked on this all around as honestly, the overall implementation is a LOT better than I thought it would be when I first heard this was going to happen.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Turning off their motion unlocked some other benefits. We cannot have a moving door/clicky/interact. So by turning off their motion, we can put the door on the planet itself, instead of the system. That may not have seemed like a big deal with the old System Art, but with Systems being as huge as they are now, it felt really stupid to fly to the center of the system/star to go to the planet that's like, WAY over there
    > So without that motion, we can put that interact directly on the planet.

The idea of having real-time planet rotation and orbit has merit. It's a really good idea to implement into this game, so before we just write it off, how about some kind of compromise. Interact/door on a moving object is not going to work, that's fine, but what about a very large interact/door on the local star so yeah, you have to go into the direction of the star for said system, but the interact/door "zone" is very big so all you have to do is get kind of in the vicinity.

I guess I should ask can you adjust the size of the interact/door/click zones so they can be very big to encompass a lot of the system that it's centered in.
    -Makbure
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    2) All planets rotate on their own axes, just not around their stars. Elliptical orbits are a pain in the butt. Just easier to draw everything as circular. Sorry. I'm lazy.

Star art is not final.

I very much doubt that players would be able to tell a cicular orbit from a elliptical orbit at the scale of sector space. Earth's orbit for example, is only 3% difference between aphelion and perihelion (furthest and closest to the sun).
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    That's because they ARE. DS9 was built by the Cardassians while they were occupying Bajor.

But the Cardassians left Bajor and DS9 during the 2360s, so it shouldn't be in Cardassian space anymore. In fact Bajor as of 2393 is now part of the Federation. It might be the case that Bajor is located above Cardassian space or even below and just looks like it's in their space.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't need the planets orbiting their star.

When it comes to immersion, I always use EVE as my goto comparison for how to do excellent immersion in a space game. And even in EVE, planets don't orbit.
    2bnb7apx.jpg