test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)

Comments

• sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In Memory of Leonard Nimoy (Our first Mr Spock)

Mr Nimoy gave us many great years of science fiction enjoyment and opened our eyes to what is possible.

I will always remember the roles he played during Star Trek and after, and always know he gave the best of himself to our enjoyment and great appreciation.

Farewell Mr Nimoy... Live Long and Prosper in the next great journey.
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    R.I.P. Mr Leonard Nimoy :(
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I want to once again express my heartfelt condolences to the friends, family, and fans of Leonard Nimoy. Everyone at Cryptic Studios was saddened to hear of his passing and we want to make sure we never forget the cultural impact of the man or the character he played. To that end, the Star Trek Online team will implement a standing in-game memorial to Spock and Leonard Nimoy this Thursday March 5th with our regular weekly maintenance.

In this way, we hope to keep his memory as alive in our game as he is in all of our hearts.

LLAP

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer

In the words of Zefram Cochrane,

"Thanks."
    I want to once again express my heartfelt condolences to the friends, family, and fans of Leonard Nimoy. Everyone at Cryptic Studios was saddened to hear of his passing and we want to make sure we never forget the cultural impact of the man or the character he played. To that end, the Star Trek Online team will implement a standing in-game memorial to Spock and Leonard Nimoy this Thursday March 5th with our regular weekly maintenance.

In this way, we hope to keep his memory as alive in our game as he is in all of our hearts.

LLAP

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer

Thank you so much for doing this. I and I'm sure all my fellow fans will appreciate this.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • afree100afree100 Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yep, very sad to hear...

And thanks for the Memorial; can't wait to have a look.
    Starfleet M.A.C.O. KDF Honor Guard
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited February 2015

LLAP

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer

Any chance of adding James Doohan and DeForest Kelley?
  • sarek93sarek93 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2015

LLAP

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer

Thanks, Steve. It will be nice to have a memorial for the man and legend in the STO universe. I'd love to see some kind of memorial for all the stars who have passed away (Majel Barrett-Rodenberry, De Kelley, James Doohan)
    "Insufficient facts always invite danger." - Spock
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    hravik wrote: »
    Any chance of adding James Doohan and DeForest Kelley?

Did either of them die again recently?
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2015

LLAP

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer

Thank you so much for taking the time and allowing your team the time and resources to do this. It means a lot.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited February 2015

LLAP

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer

Thank you.
    Please put this memorial in a place all factions can get to.
    (ch'Mol'Rihan is one such place ...)
  • athurrpewtyathurrpewty Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I wonder how many ship name changes have happened that have some sort of tribute. U.S.S. Nimoy, U.S.S. Farewell Leonard, etc. Man I hated finding out about this. Every geek's favorite grandparent has been lost.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited February 2015

LLAP

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer

This is a wonderful (and fitting) decision. Looking forward to seeing what you guys do with regard to this.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • sugi2ksscsugi2kssc Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Sad news indeed.

If I were to choose one character that singularly and accurately identified the Star Trek franchise it would have been Nimoy's portrayal of Mr. Spock. It is difficult to imagine it becoming what it is without this seminal performance.

I also used to religiously watch him host the series "In Search Of" not necessarily for the parade of myths and urban legends but because something about his voice delivered a calm and knowledgeable tone that was simply "fascinating". He was fun and comforting to listen to no matter whether he was portraying villains or sagely old men. His voice engaged and mesmerized in a way that was unique.

I will be listening to that little Datapad copiously in the coming days.
    Thanks for that Cryptic and I look forward to memorial.

Rest in Peace Mr. Nimoy.
  • idashlaidashla Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    An additional memorial for Nimoy could be installed somewhere. A pedestal with the Torpedo Casing from the ST3 movie. Below it would be a plaque with his name, and some sort of quote about Rebirth.

It would be fitting and nice. So while there is likely going to be a big memorial, maybe this would be a small contemplation room with that torpedo casing at it center, a wall/curtain fountain, and seating all around. An interesting idea anyways.

If not on Vulcan, maybe on the Klingon or Vulcan homeworld somewhere. I would think one of those two would like the concept of rebirth. :)
    ZNju0ze.jpg
  • deadahead27deadahead27 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think we should all head to Vulcan and pay tribute to this wonderful man who has touched all our lives. Live Long and Prosper, you will be missed.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2015

LLAP

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer

This is a good thing and you should feel good about yourself and your team.

Quick question, will this monument be on Vulcan? Or New Romulus? Both are places that were really affected by Spock.
  • chepetico2chepetico2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015

This is very sad news, my heart goes out to his family.

Thank you Mr. Nimoy for everything you brought to us... my life would not have been the same without Star Trek.

Thank you Spock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please leave comments or suggestions on the main thread for Homage to Galris at the following link.
    Also feel free to check out some of my other projects at the following link.
  • craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited February 2015

LLAP

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer

Thankyou

He will be missed.

There should be a memorial on Vulcan, SFA, Chronos for Mr Nimoy as he was the ambassador.
    There should be one for each of DeForest Kelley and James Doohan on SFA :)
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • jkersjkers Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    RIP Mr. Leonard Nimoy....Mr. Spock....you lived long and prospered!...may the stars be kind to you on that final frontier, and the logic finally become so clear!!! you will be missed.
  • jkersjkers Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Any idea when..time...date for a memorial..and where???
  • makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited February 2015
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited February 2015

LLAP

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer

That is truely and without a doubt awesome as its wonderfull that in a sad time like this the community rallies together this is what sets trek fans apart from all others.

LLAP _\\//

I heard this somewhere cant remember where but i think its approptiate

"its not the life we leave but the legacy we leave behind and if we are remembered a hundred years from now the one is truely immortal" ~Unknown Quote
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    This is a good thing and you should feel good about yourself and your team.

Quick question, will this monument be on Vulcan? Or New Romulus? Both are places that were really affected by Spock.

I just hope the place is open to all players and not faction gated.

While I don't know wether or not an in-game memorial does a man justice I do appreciate the sentiment and respect Cryptic for the decision :)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • lance1967lance1967 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited February 2015

LLAP

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer

I was thinking the same thing today about an in-game memorial. Leonard Nimoy had such a huge impact on the Star Trek universe AND game that there should be a huge statue of him on Vulcan with a plaque that is readable without a pop-up box.

And as an older player, I know we will (very unfortunately) see others of our Star Trek universe pass-on as well. We do need a memorial at Star Fleet Academy (and the other race's training areas) to remember all these great people (DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, etc.). How about opening up the interior of one of buildings as a memorial building to all these actors that have given us so much? Maybe a statue of each of them with a readable plaque and a pop-up box listing their contribution to such a great Science Fiction Franchise.

I can envision the entrance above the building with the following carved granite phrase: "Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the people who shaped the Star Trek Universe. Their mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldy go where no one has gone before. You will never be forgotten."

I am truly sadden today and my heart and blessings go out to his family.

"Live long and prosper"
  • burnabydudeburnabydude Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Rest in Peace good sir. You will be missed by your fans. :(
  • l33tpr0nsuxorzl33tpr0nsuxorz Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I was just playing the mission where travel back in time to save Enterprise from the Klingons, and he was the captain that was hailing us for help. To hear him in the voiceovers was so sad. His voice..the calmness...everything about it WAS and IS Star Trek.
    Blaze@l33tpr0nsuxorz in game
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I know that there are many thoughts regarding the nature of a permanent memorial to Leonard Nimoy within our game.

I'd like to suggest a reasonably scaled statue of Ambassador Spock. To be placed on New Romulus. As I think that would, IMO, be consistent with the in-universe story line for Star Trek in general. As well as STO specifically. As Ambassador Spock helped lead - for a time - the Unification movement toward better relations between the Vulcan and Romulan peoples. While nothing in the story indicates that Vulcan has embraced Unification, clearly Romulans of the Republic certainly have. They actually model Unification through sharing their new world with the Remans. And the Romulans would be more likely (over the Vulcans) to have an emotional investment in honoring Spock's memory.

Vulcans have only revered Surak and the other Masters through the rather large statues we see. Such a monument to Spock would, IMO, be overkill on the Vulcan social map.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lance1967 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing today about an in-game memorial. Leonard Nimoy had such a huge impact on the Star Trek universe AND game that there should be a huge statue of him on Vulcan with a plaque that is readable without a pop-up box.

And as an older player, I know we will (very unfortunately) see others of our Star Trek universe pass-on as well. We do need a memorial at Star Fleet Academy (and the other race's training areas) to remember all these great people (DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, etc.). How about opening up the interior of one of buildings as a memorial building to all these actors that have given us so much? Maybe a statue of each of them with a readable plaque and a pop-up box listing their contribution to such a great Science Fiction Franchise.

I can envision the entrance above the building with the following carved granite phrase: "Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the people who shaped the Star Trek Universe. Their mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldy go where no one has gone before. You will never be forgotten."

I am truly sadden today and my heart and blessings go out to his family.

"Live long and prosper"

I love your idea, I think that would be awesome!
  • daharmasterklagdaharmasterklag Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    psiameese wrote: »
    I know that there are many thoughts regarding the nature of a permanent memorial to Leonard Nimoy within our game.

I'd like to suggest a reasonably scaled statue of Ambassador Spock. To be placed on New Romulus. As I think that would, IMO, be consistent with the in-universe story line for Star Trek in general. As well as STO specifically. As Ambassador Spock helped lead - for a time - the Unification movement toward better relations between the Vulcan and Romulan peoples. While nothing in the story indicates that Vulcan has embraced Unification, clearly Romulans of the Republic certainly have. They actually model Unification through sharing their new world with the Remans. And the Romulans would be more likely (over the Vulcans) to have an emotional investment in honoring Spock's memory.

Vulcans have only revered Surak and the other Masters through the rather large statues we see. Such a monument to Spock would, IMO, be overkill on the Vulcan social map.

I think that's a great idea and it makes sense to me.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think that's a great idea and it makes sense to me.

I prefer to have him on the Vulcan map maybe where that fountain is some Romulans will still probably see him as a failure for failing to stop the destuction of there homeworld
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]