test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Player Poll! February 12th, 2015

Comments

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Had some time to think about this more earlier, and I honestly think there are other things that need to be discussed within Cryptic first. With the exception of exploration (I've posted about that here) the other options don't offer up anything new; it's just more of the same, and to be honest, it's not necessarily what people are asking for.

I would much rather see revamped story content at this point, than I would new story content. You've recently reworked the Romulan Arc, and I think you've done a good job with it. I do however think that all other arcs need revamping too, and that your featured episode series should be reduced to a single mission each (ideally with a fully customizable related Bridge Officer in each of them too, but that's just me).

There's a whole bunch of people who want Caitian/Ferasan to better be represented by felines rather than humanoids. It's not without your capacity to fulfill this, it's just you've not yet done so. There's countless ship model/texture errors that to this day, remain unchecked - yet you expect us to ignore all that and to purchase your new ships instead? C-Store KDF Clothing is something else that has been asked for time and time again, though do we see any? Nope!

People keep asking for bug fixes too, and I can fully appreciate and understand that this is no simple task, but it always seems as though you're focusing on the new, and not on the old. I think this is where a lot of concerns are coming from. I've probably also said all of this before, but a reminder or two can't hurt, can it?

Edit: More PvP Queues aren't going to fix PvP; from what I understand, PvP is going to need more than a few simple queues before it becomes viable.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • sharxtremesharxtreme Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    flash525 wrote: »

There's a whole bunch of people who want Caitian/Ferasan to better be represented by felines rather than humanoids. It's not without your capacity to fulfill this, it's just you've not yet done so.

Yes, that is a priority. fix cat people, make dog people and majority is voting for more "exploration" :smh:
    which is basically more patrol missions and more doff assignments. Those who don't remember what exploration meant before it was removed:

Star Clusters with Doff assignments and randomly generated space/ground maps that were basically: run around for 15 minutes on completely empty planet scan 1 thing then scan it 4 more times, kill few random enemies in space or ground and warp out.
    You lot are practically voting for worst out of 5.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't see "fix years-long game-breaking bugs that we have ignored up until now" as a voting option....

Because that's my vote.

Or maybe get off Cogentco's server farm? Bugs aside, that would change the enjoyability of this game dramatically.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Edit: Redacted. I've seen this before. Not falling for it again.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• stohaydenstohayden Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I found this poll a little confusing as I don't think many of the items are well explained.

Would the enhancement to Foundry be for authors or players. What qualifies something as an exploration mission? What type of fleet enhancement are we talking about? A new subsystem (mining, spire, embassey, etc..)

What I really want is:

1) Some for of householding, where I can populate decks with specialized equipment. Much like the Speciailization system I can keep populating new decks but there is a finite number I can put on a ship at one time.

2) Fleet Command, I'd like a system where I would govern a small fleet. The development could be broken into multiple phases.

• Phase 1: You assign your playable starships to go on fleet missions. The system would be the same as Doffing however the ships would acquire damage and you would have to repair them. You would also assign regular DOFFs to the mission to boost the results.
    • Phase 2: You can convert your BOFFs into starship captains for your fleet. Starship captains would gain experience and their traits would affect the probability of them succeeding on a mission.
    • Phase 3: Fleet Assignments could result in missions that you would have to perform. For example a starship you sent out was captured by Tholians and you have to rescue the ship and crew.
    • Phase 4: You get to direct your ships in a fleet battle.
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    r5e4w3q2 wrote: »
    More PvP Queues - PvP Queues are rather useless until bug fixing and balance are addressed, both of which I notice are not on the list of things to work on.

I think it rather depends on *what* those queues are. If they are more scenario-based, and those scenarios either disable or tone-down some of the worst "stuff", then that could be great. I'd love to PVP again but can't abide the insane arms race of the post-LoR meta.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    sharxtreme wrote: »
    You lot are practically voting for worst out of 5.
    Nobody is asking for the return of Star Clusters, we're asking for a complete overhaul of the exploration system. They did well with the R&D overhaul (minus the pricing), they are capable of doing the same with exploration.

Caitians/Ferasans aren't a priority, they're a desire.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • sharxtremesharxtreme Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    Nobody is asking for the return of Star Clusters, we're asking for a complete overhaul of the exploration system. They did well with the R&D overhaul (minus the pricing), they are capable of doing the same with exploration.
    Yopu are asking for one, but that's not in the poll.
    Yes, they will do the same with exploration as with RnD + the pricing + it will be randomly generated maps with scan this x times missions.
  • ofccrouse12ofccrouse12 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Not sure if this will even matter, but... I feel STO needs to understand 30 dollars(USD) for a ship is too expensive for some us... also, when will the lifetime sub actually become worth it? I mean its cool to get the 500zen a month, even though that's not enough to buy anything, and the ships used to be cool like... 3 years ago... so... heres a hint to help make it better... average cost on ships should be 15 to 20 usd, and get some better perks for Lifers... until then STO is like vallnia ice cream... yea you like ice cream but its not as good as flavored ice cream...
  • eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I voted for episodes, simply because I have no idea what form exploration would take. Perhaps an explanation of how the devs imagine exploration being implemented in the game would change my mind.
  • oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I highly disagree about ''Balancing PvP First''... my question to any1 who disagree is, do Cryptic even Balanced ANYTHING first before releasing gimmicks, ships, weapons, or whatever? from my experience with Cryptic the answer is no.

Far as i see it ''More PvP Queue's'' and ''Balancing PvP'' are intertwined, If and when PvP Queue's loses this vote i promise there will be NO PvP Balancing First and not to mention that Geko n gang will use this as an excuse not to do anything for PvP (including balancing) like they have been doing to PvP over the years.

Let's say More PvP Queue's got first place (which is unlikely), this will force Cryptic to balance the game period in order to make PvP more playable, they will have to fix and balance the broken abilities and weapons over time, this will not be an automatic fix... it will take alot of bug reports and complaints for Cryptic to do anything about them to a point they can't ignore it anymore.

PvP have been ignored for a very very long time, i think that Smirk should have used the term ''PvP Revamp'' instead, right now all of the current PvP maps are obsolete... besides did the dev's say they could not make ''New Maps'' or ''Revamp Old Maps'' because of a broken old legacy code that the current STO team can't deal with??? if this the case they have to make new PvP maps with new codes to replace the current maps, and they should put in rewards that comparable to PvE Queue's with Fleet Marks or Random Marks + x$x Dilithium per match to replace the current weak 3 stright CnH or Arena reward system.

If anything that's should not be on the list it would be PvE Episodes, why i said this? because Episodes are one of the few things that Cryptic always keep Adding to the game, only Pokemon Foreign Alien Lock Box ships have more Dev time... and even if Episodes hit last place, they will continue to keep making them... Duh!!! and like i said b4 it's PvP time to get more attention which been ignored by Cryptic for the longest than anything else, Balancing issues will be there and could get fix, but if Cryptic keeps ignoring PvP there will be no Balance.
  • zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Please don't make PvP queues. Nobody will play them. And the ones that say they will, they complain on the forums all the time, ergo they would not have time to play them.
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Tough call between episodes and exploration... Although I was going to go for episodes I changed my mind at the last minute to exploration because they've been pretty good at adding new episodes over the last year (ignoring the drama of the removal of loads of the Rom missions).

I would like to see more episodes that acted as shorter side-stories away from the main plot. But I suppose they could do that with exploration missions?
  • phoasphoas Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jellico1 wrote: »
    To Explore strange new worlds

To seek out new life and new civilizations

To boldly go where no man has gone before............

That's Star Trek

2 things.

1 Any exploring doen in any StarTrek eapisode or movie was an excuse to kick off the story of that episode or movie.

2 if I am seeking new life or new civilazations I am not going(boldly or otherwise) whrer noone has gone befor.
  • eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Pardon me for asking, but huh??

I think what he means is: an episode might begin with, "We're charting an interesting set of stellar nurseries in the previously-unexplored Blahblah cluster." But that's just setup for encountering someone or something and kicking off what, in the game, would be an episode. Exploration is the goal of Starfleet, but in terms of how we actually experience this universe, it serves purely as a macguffin to get the characters where they need to be to start the story. And that's always been true in the shows.

So asking for exploration — as a thing in and of itself — is probably asking for something that, really, can't be done successfully.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2015
    phoas wrote: »
    2 things.

1 Any exploring doen in any StarTrek eapisode or movie was an excuse to kick off the story of that episode or movie.

2 if I am seeking new life or new civilazations I am not going(boldly or otherwise) whrer noone has gone befor.

1. correct................you locate a planet..............you scan it...........wow its a class M.........shuttle or beam or land your ship on it

Scan explore find resources plants animals.............Opps a Race of sentient lifeforms !....Conquor them ( KDF ) diplomacy Fed....make friends or enslave

Build a colony....support it defend it...build defenses and npc ships for defense leave duty officers on the colony in posititions of leadership...add it to your faction...On and on

Not a 5 minute patrol mission like we had before

cryptic could add hundreds if not thousands of planets to explore like this and could add more every month made in the foundry by us

This is what exploration means to me not a repetive 5 minute patrol mission
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • kranfordtbutcherkranfordtbutcher Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hopefully we do get to elaborate on what exactly we wish them to take a stab at.

There are a couple of other pet peeves of mine that aren't here, as well as some solutions I had in mind, but one thing at a time.

We should be glad for this, after all, when's the last time the community managers and dev team were this communicative?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jellico1 wrote: »
    This is what exploration means to me not a repetive 5 minute patrol mission
    Honestly it does sound like it'd be very repetitive.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ashmodai20ashmodai20 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Why is there selection for bug fixes. That is what I want. Wait on the new content and fix bugs please.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I voted foundry ... sadly since most don't truly understand its current limitations the majority of players will never vote for it.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
This discussion has been closed.