Install Arc
Options

STO Player Poll! February 12th, 2015

Comments

• Options
    sarkonissarkonis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    PvP is no.1 vote for me.

The thing is look at all the MMO's that have it as a major part. Balance is far less of an issue, there are less bugs because it's outwardly effecting plays against other players.
    STO has such massive potential for epic space battles that at the moment are ruined by imbalance and lack of content.

Second vote would be for Exploration... I mean come on, do I need to explain this one? It's Star Trek. :D
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    wast33 wrote: »
    found the old poll :). actually i have to correct myself: pvp made it onto no4! though to note is, that things like crafting only received like a 3rd of the votes pvp got and no1-3 are ingame for a long time by now!

there u go:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=379951

Thanks for the link! Very interesting to compare.

I have to say, so far I am saddened how few votes are going to the foundry. But I wish I could say I was surprised. Hopefully the top three will start to change things.
  • Options
    lordcuttersladelordcutterslade Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Voted for exploration missions! lol

Srsly... what the ****... "more pvp queues" lmao

More queues is the last thing that PvP needs. Ridiculous.
    [SIGPIC]Everything is awesome![/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Voted for exploration missions! lol

Srsly... what the ****... "more pvp queues" lmao

More queues is the least that PvP needs. Ridiculous.

Yeah only thing close to what this game really needs has to do with pvp and other kinds of gameplay not offered in STO.

Though I would say for pvp it would be the one to vote for if it was changed to "Total Revamp of PvP".
  • Options
    bross42bross42 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would love to have more exploration options. Episodes are always good too of course. I couldn't care less about PvP frankly. Just my opinion, and probably not an overly common one, but hey, its an opinion thread.
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I have to say, so far I am saddened how few votes are going to the foundry. But I wish I could say I was surprised. Hopefully the top three will start to change things.

anytime mate :). indeed it has been brought up many times that the foundry and pvp f.e. could synergize like perfectly. in the end could become a winwin for both... but better not hold ur breath :(.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Okay then PvE sherlocks, explain this.

You have a build. You think it is good, you made it after all. I mean, it must be epic at crunching AI!

But another player's ship of the same class if challenged directly in pure 1v1 will melt through your defenses, while countering every attack.

What defines that your ship is good? What's the point of having spec points or even a T6 ship, if the content can be done with cheap mirrors? You're demonstrating your power to... moving HP bags. So epic you must be!

Surgical Strikes... well yuk! 50k raw shots to kill 'em down! They're so cool when they explode, my ship is so powerful!

...so you don't mind if I do the same but on your ship from mine? I mean, I'm absolutely sure that the PvErs in here (because the above doesn't apply to pre-DR PvPers that wrote in this thread, aka many) if facing even just my Tempest would cause no harm, while I have fun raising the kill counter.

But who cares right? Their ships are awesome at PvE!

Come on.

Well, I don't consider myself a"PvE Sherlock" even though I barely PvP ever since Season 7, but I'll try to explain my POV here.

I always supported PvP. In my humble opinion it's necessary to have various elements of gameplay in order to have a truly succesfull and expansive game. PvP can prolongue the lifespan of a game and can bring much diversity, fun and excitement if done right. IF DONE RIGHT.
    PvP in STO is currently in such a broken state that I'm really not sure it's salvageable at this point. It has been for a long time, but lol :D since DR hit, it's in shambles.

Take a look at the poll - "More PvP queues". What the hell do I need more PvP queues for if the balance is so broken I don't even use the current ones? So we can have more empty queues?? It's not the number of queues that is the problem with PvP currently, it's the fact that each Thursday brings something more OP than the previous Thursday. In the current state PvP is unplayable for me and Cryptic doesn't seem like pulling the hand-brake on power creep.

So yeah, exploration is more important atm - especially in comparison to PvP queues.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I am also finding it sad. Especially because the Foundry is truly player-controlled. You can select what experience you want, and what you want to deliver to others. It is IMO the most grind and monetization-proof (crossing my fingers!!), and most likely to satisfy a broad variety of tastes due to the wide selection of mission types and lengths. Want a quick shoot-em-up? I wish they weren't there but they ARE there, and easy to get to. Want a 3-hour epic that feels like a Star Trek episode with great storytelling even if it doesn't deliver as much in XP for your time? I have actually enjoyed a couple like that too. And there's all sorts of stuff in between for lots of tastes.

With the Foundry, you are in the QA seat if you're designing the mission. And as the players, you are in control over your reviews, and over what you play in the first place by reading the mission description.

IMO I think that makes a strong case for the Foundry.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    rgzarcherrgzarcher Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    On a game map that takes 15 minutes to completely go through. Where are you supposed to go here? Wake up STO isn't as big as the galaxy.

To have exploration they're going to randomly generate races as they are millions waiting to be found. This means not hand-crafted content, means low quality.

And if they made them in limited number, that'd be a major fail.

Its a better option than PvP. I loved the old exploration system because every now and then you really got something cool. I remember there was one mission I got on a planet covered in giant crystals and you had to try and find certain types. There was another where I had to recover remains from a Fed probe that landed on an underdeveloped planet and I had to try and avoid the natives.

PvP, I keep seeing and hearing people talking about balancing this and balance that (reminds me of being on Defaria now that I think about it...) but the biggest problem and what drives most people away from PvP isn't the lack of balance, its the people who inhabit it. I've tried PvP several times over the years, and every time its the same. Elitest who curse you out if you aren't using a cookie cutter spreadsheet designed ship and build.

No thank you. I'll take my 'low quality random generator' back thank you.
    "Why all the sales"?

And a merry freaking Christmas to you too, Ebenezer.
    -jonsills, 'Cryptic Why the sales..instead of Fixing XP leveling and this game?'
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    Well, I don't consider myself a"PvE Sherlock" even though I barely PvP ever since Season 7, but I'll try to explain my POV here.

I always supported PvP. In my humble opinion it's necessary to have various elements of gameplay in order to have a truly succesfull and expansive game. PvP can prolongue the lifespan of a game and can bring much diversity, fun and excitement if done right. IF DONE RIGHT.
    PvP in STO is currently in such a broken state that I'm really not sure it's salvageable at this point. It has been for a long time, but lol :D since DR hit, it's in shambles.

Take a look at the poll - "More PvP queues". What the hell do I need more PvP queues for if the balance is so broken I don't use the current ones? So we can have more empty queues?? It's not the number of queues what is the problem with PvP currently, it's the fact that each Thursday brings something more OP than the previous Thursday. In the current state PvP is unplayable for me and Cryptic doesn't seem like pulling the hand-brake on power creep.

So yeah, exploration is more important atm - especially in comparison to PvP queues.

valid! my guess it's by design, or they really are that *cough* to drop a question on pvp in that manner :(.
  • Options
    vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    what I'd really rather have are fewer bugs impeading my gameplay, and less reliance on DPS BS.
  • Options
    abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    dgdolph wrote: »
    Btw, more PvP Queues could also mean:

A brand new T4 template ship vanilla PvP queue where...

... all traits are disabled
    ... all rep is disabled
    ... all gear is automatically set to blue mk xi
    ... all spec trees are disabled
    ... all doffs are disabled

Hooooooray we'll be getting balanced PvP in the end! All hail Cryptic!

Hell, I'd jump back into pvp if I could get that.

Even better would be if I could get that in a D7. That right there, is Star Trek for me. Phasers and photon torpedoes vs. disruptors and photon torpedoes.

As for the items listed:

1) PvP needs some love. I don't pvp any longer, but this item has been neglected for far too long.

2) More fleet functionality. Make fleets more than expensive stores.

3) More episodes are nice, but they get boring after doing them repeatedly.

4) Exploration? Scanning 5 rocks wasn't fun before. What will make it any different now?

5) I am not especially enthralled by they Foundry, and rarely touch it. There are other things that need attention.
  • Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Take a look at the poll - "More PvP queues". What the hell do I need more PvP queues for if the balance is so broken I don't even use the current ones? So we can have more empty queues?? It's not the number of queues that is the problem with PvP currently, it's the fact that each Thursday brings something more OP than the previous Thursday. In the current state PvP is unplayable for me and Cryptic doesn't seem like pulling the hand-brake on power creep.

I interpretate more PvP queues as "queues popping in larger quantity". I listened to the podcast, a voice talked during geko's interview about what are vaping ships. problem is he did with the voice of the one who doesn't know what it means. It took them 4 months to discover that KDF was not appearing in PvP leaderboards, a bug that was there since day one of DR. It demonstrates how they just don't know anything of how PvP was, is and is going to be. some of them said they tried to PvP after DR, then how could have they missed such a bug?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    wast33 wrote: »
    valid! my guess it's by design, or they really are that *cough* to drop a question on pvp in that manner :(.

I know what you guys are fighting for here and you have my support. But everyone should realize that this is Cryptic and STO we have here, so if the question is "PVP queues" - even if that choice somehow wins the poll, what we'll get is a couple of more queues in which to one-shoot one another in the first 5 seconds of the match. Not a fix for the problem that's causing PvP to be unplayable.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Voted for Exploration Missions, however if you are to introduce a robust exploration system into STO then there needs to a system added for the KDF too. Perhaps an Exploitation System, where you scout sector/quadrant space and pillage resources of various types from unsuspecting planets, colonies, stations, and starships.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I know what you guys are fighting for here and you have my support. But everyone should realize that this is Cryptic and STO we have here, so if the question is "PVP queues" - even if that choice somehow wins the poll, what we'll get is a couple of more queues in which to one-shoot one another in the first 5 seconds of the match. Not a fix for the problem that's causing PvP to be unplayable.

while everything is possible, even options on what to exclude in single matches (t6's, doffs, whatnot), i feel ya.
    they already drove us too far that someone who is experienced for years with sto's pvp could have hope without a big salty taste in this question and/or the result that derives from it, as well as from the outcome from that poll ;):(.
    it has been cruel indeed :mad:...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Voted for Exploration Missions, however if you are to introduce a robust exploration system into STO then there needs to a system added for the KDF too. Perhaps an Exploitation System, where you scout sector/quadrant space and pillage resources of various types from unsuspecting planets, colonies, stations, and starships.

lol :D I like the way your mind works.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited February 2015
    You voted for.......*gasp*......exploitation?!!?? :D :P :D

In the words of the immortal Captain Jack Sparrow: Sorry mate, had to do it! :P

LOL good catch, guess spell check has failed me again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    LOL good catch, guess spell check has failed me again.

No, no, look - it's already spawning some great ideas:
    amosov78 wrote: »

:D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't see more exp reward or exp in general...

that's what I want atm

so, its exploration, sure hope it involves me killing thousands of people on board their ships every 5 minutes without a peaceful negotiation instead..

oh also I want said enemy to have 1 billion hp per ship as well, that will make it more challenging for sure. :rolleyes:
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    edited February 2015
    only to not let it get buried in here i'll relink the last comparable poll that was taken (with much more appropiate questions imho):

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=379951

1-3 and 6-8 out of that happend. no4 and 5 did not :mad:
  • Options
    szrxszrx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Would rank these as

1) Exploration, if it's a new, deep, fun, engaging system
    2) More episodes, sure why not
    3) Fleet functionality
    4) Foundry functionality

=)
  • Options
    tkvoxtkvox Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ok, you want the truth. Well here it is. What your doing by giving us a help your vote is nice, but how about building on the Roddenberry Legacy of what Star Trek stands for. Not your view or opinion but what was set forth before this became a game. Yes its a game that need upkeep... so sure you need an income to continue to improve and build and yada yada yada. but to the level of nickel diming us is ridiculous. Stripping us long term trekies of earned abilitys for the sake of making you money isn't Star Trek and is flatly wrong. Do you care. I hope so, but from what I've seen over the last few years........ it speaks for itself and don't try to belittle me. I have more real logged in time (not those damb scripped programe) than most of the sto community. You can look it up yourself. You want to bring this back to where it needs to be. Than send me a ingame mail. Ill assemble a group of people and we will have a talk and not.... oh you did this and you are bland and you done care, but a real talk of how we can make Gene proud of this game based on HIS legacy. So ya, you've been challenged base on what you said all will be heard. Of course you've seen the drop off in players heance giving us the false sence of helping. Your choice. Hope you make the right decision. Ill know if you don't. cause you wont contact me.
  • Options
    abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Let's not drag this down into a PvE vs PvP fight. (Forum PvP :D)

This game has room for both play styles. It's fine that you like one over the other. But let's not denigrate or exclude those who might enjoy something different.

For my two cents, PvP has been neglected, and could use it's turn in the sun. It's not like all the game's resources will be forever locked into it if Cryptic takes a pass at it. They will move on to something else in short order. PvE isn't going anywhere, so don't worry.
  • Options
    kittieangel3kittieangel3 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    More PvP Queues - you mean more against the NPC's ? yes .

More Episodes - no more "one time" content

Exploration Missions - don't care

More Fleet Functionality - Yes please to keep players engaged .

More Foundry Functionality - not really

** More dill rewards and R&D **
  • Options
    sarkonissarkonis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Let's not drag this down into a PvE vs PvP fight. (Forum PvP :D)

This game has room for both play styles. It's fine that you like one over the other. But let's not denigrate or exclude those who might enjoy something different.

For my two cents, PvP has been neglected, and could use it's turn in the sun. It's not like all the game's resources will be forever locked into it if Cryptic takes a pass at it. They will move on to something else in short order. PvE isn't going anywhere, so don't worry.

Thats basically my view, every aspect gets it's time to shine, we have had volumes of good quality episodes, STF's with every season. It's PvP's turn to have some love. And it really needs a lot of it.
  • Options
    diegojdiazdiegojdiaz Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It will force Cryptic into fixing the unbalanced system that is in place currently in STO.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tkvox wrote: »
    Roddenberry Legacy.

Please show me the Roddenberry legacy you speak of.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    admiraltroikaadmiraltroika Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I can't believe how many of you are voting for exploration missions. Have you forgotten how terrible and boring the randomly generated ones in the star clusters were?
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Klingon content !

Oh, ain't on the list.
    Guess I vote for more episode (the 2nd reason I started playing this game)
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
This discussion has been closed.