Install Arc
Options

Anniversary Giveaway!

Comments

• Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    rhyusss wrote: »
    I'm all for free giveaways in any game. But, when they start giving away items that they have given away in the past, then it no longer becomes a giveaway, it becomes a re-hash. The last two days they have given away items that they have probably given away in previous anniversary giveaways or at some other point in time. Stop re-hashing old giveaways and give us stuff that has not been given away before. Anybody that has been in the game from the beginning like I have (although I haven't played the game the hole time) all the free giveaways we have already gotten, so, give new stuff, like other free ships, or free bridges that have not been given out before, or ship modules, or other free uniforms that has not been given out already, or come up with new stuff to give away. I mean, you took the time to create the Kobali Cruiser just for the anniversary, why not have created other new, less major items like that, associated with the expansion of the Delta Quadrant.

So, basically they should keep giving out new stuff until they've given everything away?

Even if I, personally, won't benefit it may be that some newer players will. My boys might... not sure if they got either ship previously.

I got one of those R&D Development boxes for free, so I can't say they didn't give me something I can use... eventually. Some good stuff in that box, for when I decide to craft or upgrade something.

Now I can grind out for the free Kobali ship starting tomorrow. I like that they have a new minigame, hopefully I won't get sick of it too fast and that I won't have to compete with other players for locations. Hated that Q shell game. And I like that I can unlock a discount for my alts this time around. If last years' Qmendations are still good this year, I'll even get a head start. Lots to be grateful for, potentially.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    starbase1114starbase1114 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Your getting better at this! So lets keep it going and remember it's the 5 year Vets you want to help here cuz were the ones who got you here!!!

We love ya but No more tribbles and Red Matter and old uniforms!

Thanks!
  • Options
    brunomarquesc33brunomarquesc33 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Rhode Island ship? You guys already gave those away... come on... give us some real suggar... it's a five year anniversary... please!
  • Options
    cem3212cem3212 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Today's 5th Anniversary Giveaway action is a promising sign. The giveaway including a ship for each of the factions. This minimalizes the possibility that some players today will go without any gift. It always show a progressive thought process in innovation. Do we need these gifts? No. So it is generous & appreciated for this anniversary event & other similar events even if myself or any other players cannot fully take advantage of the gifts throughout. I don't mind being critical of PWE & Cryptic if I think they deserve it, but I will shout their praise too if they do things like this which they do not have to do. Thank you again for the anniversary event, hopefully all players were gifted at least one thing , after all it is free, & congratulations again to STO.
  • Options
    caylenrcaylenr Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've been wanting the Rhode Island skin for a long time. Thanks Cryptic!
  • Options
    sannia1sannia1 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd like to thank cryptic for the give away, and for including the less popular factions in this one. The Dhael Warbird is a very nice ship.

That being said, I'm going to start whining now.

Using the Dhael wing option 2 causes the nacelles to dip downward about 5 degrees. This causes flight to appear "wrong", especially during a warp-out animation. This issue has been around since Legacy of Romulus, and today's give-away highlights it. Please add it to the list of things that need fixing.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Now I can grind out for the free Kobali ship starting tomorrow. I like that they have a new minigame, hopefully I won't get sick of it too fast and that I won't have to compete with other players for locations. Hated that Q shell game. And I like that I can unlock a discount for my alts this time around. If last years' Qmendations are still good this year, I'll even get a head start. Lots to be grateful for, potentially.

Assuming at least three characters on your account, this year is the end of any grinding for the anniversary and could need only 6 plays of the new minigame for the ship.

Jan 2014 play step between stars four times, buy ship with A:
    A - 400qs, plus grinds to 1000 for ship
    B - 360 qs after ship
    C - 360 qs after ship
    D - 360 qs after ship

Jan 2015 play mission 3 times, buy ship with B:
    A - 360qs after ship
    B - 760qs, do mini game 6 times to get ship
    C - 720 qs after ship
    D - 320 qs after ship

Jan 2016, play mission 3 times, buy ship with C no minigame needed:
    A - 720 qs after ship
    B - 360 qs after ship
    C - 120 qs after ship
    D - 280 qs after ship

Jan 2017 play mission 3 times buy ship with A, no minigame needed.

Repeat until they change the mechanism for getting new ships. Character D just shows that a fourth or higher character only needs to run the mission once every 10 years and not do the minigame.

So this year, you might only need to "grind" one mission and 6 mini games. Next year you won't need to do anything but play the mission
  • Options
    parisalexandria1parisalexandria1 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Three ships worth about $30 and the associated consoles would normally have been a monster anniversary giveaway...
    The Rhode Island seems particularly appropriate since Harry Kim is a part of the next featured episode. But, ship fanatic that I am....I've already have it.
    I also got the Romulan Tier 2 in the Legacy of Romulus pack.
    I also purchased the Klingon Tier 2 so long ago....

But Cryptic's heart was in the right place.

I liked the day one R&D pack.
    And the day two TMP uniforms. (Does it include an Illiabot clothing option?)

Anyway, Happy Cinco de Es Tee Oh.

Cheers,
  • Options
    fallinorfallinor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    szim wrote: »
    Right. Once claimed on any character it will be available to any other character you currently own or WILL create in the future. It's an account wide unlock.

But only until the giveaway expires tomorrow correct?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    fallinor wrote: »
    Claim it before the giveaway ends tomorrow, and it will be available on your account forever after.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Am I right in thinking that we have one more set of giveaways starting today?

I'm hoping for something pretty big, it being the final day of the 5th Anniversary Giveaway and all - we shall see.

Personally I'd have preferred them to hand out the Exeter yesterday than the previously-done Rhode Island, but c'est la vie.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    steaen wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that we have one more set of giveaways starting today?

I'm hoping for something pretty big, it being the final day of the 5th Anniversary Giveaway and all - we shall see.

Personally I'd have preferred them to hand out the Exeter yesterday than the previously-done Rhode Island, but c'est la vie.
    Trendy said earlier we have another giveaway tomorrow. We'll see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    Trendy said earlier we have another giveaway tomorrow. We'll see.

Yup. One more tomorrow after 10AM.

It will be a busy day with launch maintenance, but it will be there.

Reply here in the morning if you can't find it, and we will give you directions :)

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    first 2 days were lightweight, the t2 ships hit all three factions but t2 and to some people the rhode island refit is already on display because of a previous event. in any event thats a little better but still very much light a lite version giveaway to date.

wonder what the last day event brings out after claiming the romulan and klingon free ships. what? wont loook a gift horse down its mouth for more presents. rather it gift something then dead on the floor with everyone poking a stick at it, like usual :P.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ya, the costume and ships were already a giveaway. I was hoping for something more substantial for their 5 year. Maybe even a free lobi store item or 2...
  • Options
    johnniemesojohnniemeso Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    im curious, other than on a new character, do people actually use those ships?

like do people hop onto a tier 2 ship and play?
  • Options
    kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The nice thing about the free low-level ships is using the parts in the ship tailor on your T5U ships, also the consoles that come with them.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    im curious, other than on a new character, do people actually use those ships?

like do people hop onto a tier 2 ship and play?

Photonic Displacer console.
    Shield Destabilizer console.
    Singularity Inverter console.
  • Options
    lordbane2110lordbane2110 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I personally have, plus those people that have the fleet variants have more customisation options,

but the big bonus is whenever you want to start a new character on a double xp weekend, you cannot get a better ship till you finish certain missions

this counteracts this issue, so you can carry on leveling without having to use a tier 1 ship still.

all in all, I was trying to save up for all tier 2's, and had only gotten the exeter, so I am over the moon, I can start aquiring all the tier 3's now

:D
  • Options
    fildaskirkfildaskirk Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Really a great idea Cryptic, to perform your shard maintenance when you are giving out those gifts with restrictions to time when you can claim them.
    Has it occured to you that some of us can't log in at anytime?
    I was barely able to claim the Federation and Romulan ships, but my new Klingon character had to level up a bit which I didn't manage in time before your stupid maintance.
    First the TMP uniforms which I PAID for, now this. And it would be easy to solve actually, just permit the purchase (or claiming) of the ships and just restrict them from usage until the character reaches the required rank.
    See you in Gre'thor
  • Options
    xzeoxxzeox Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    fildaskirk wrote: »
    Really a great idea Cryptic, to perform your shard maintenance when you are giving out those gifts with restrictions to time when you can claim them.
    Has it occured to you that some of us can't log in at anytime?
    I was barely able to claim the Federation and Romulan ships, but my new Klingon character had to level up a bit which I didn't manage in time before your stupid maintance.
    First the TMP uniforms which I PAID for, now this. And it would be easy to solve actually, just permit the purchase (or claiming) of the ships and just restrict them from usage until the character reaches the required rank.
    See you in Gre'thor

I have to agree. this is what I came here to voice, since it looks like I too will be missing out on this reward..

wouldn't it make sense to have maintenance at the beginning of the reward cycle? I figured as long as I was on before 9am est i was able to get a few hours of sleep last night.

can we extend the reward cycle for this due to maintenance?
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    fildaskirk wrote: »
    First the TMP uniforms which I PAID for...

Umm, a lot of us paid for things they are offering up for free, and a lot of us still appreciate that they are giving stuff away.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • Options
    freeziafrostfreeziafrost Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So sad about shard maintenance during the last few hours of giveaway. I don't get to log in very often between work and a toddler, I was excited to at least grab the ships for hubby and I - but can't! Forgive me, but that's a pretty foolish oversight, devs. I get that this is your normal weekly maintenance time, but really - either move maintenance, extend the giveaway, or schedule your giveaways to not conflict with your normal maintenance schedule. That said, I DO appreciate the celebration and giveaway and I thank you, even if I personally couldn't log in at a convenient time. Happy Anniversary!
  • Options
    fildaskirkfildaskirk Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ravin wrote: »
    Umm, a lot of us paid for things they are offering up for free, and a lot of us still appreciate that they are giving stuff away.

I do appreciate them giving stuff for free, but there is a certain principle. I'll give you an example from War Thunder, which I also play. You buy gold currency for real money. You buy a premium aircraft/tank for that gold. One month later, Gaijin ent. (the authors of WT) give this machine you bought away as gifts. BUT they do it in a contest sort of way. You must finish some tasks to be entitled to get the machine (sort of like in Q's Winter Wonderland). If you do it, it is yours for free. AND if you already own it (becouse you purchased it beforehand), and complete those assignments (therefore making you eligible to get it if you didn't already own it, you get the amount of gold currency back.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    fallinor wrote: »

no you have until the giveaway expires to claim it once. Then you own the ship for as long as you play the game.
  • Options
    darkcrowreddarkcrowred Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Its kinda funny, during sometime between March and and Augest, I bought the TOS Pack, and I bought the Oddesy Tacitcle Star Cruiser, BOTH thing in which you gave away for free. Admittedly the TOS pack wasn't that much, but the ship was. And I always felt like, FINALLY!!! I have my own unuiqe kinda of ship... But NO! You just give'em away.. Now its like... I coulda got those for free!?!?!? WTH!!!??? No no, just kidding, I did however, get an EXTRA Oddesy ship. So now I have two of them, although, I haven't opened the box as of yet, and probably won't for a while. I also got the science ship, although I don't think I have much use for it, and being that its only T2. Kinda weak, and doesn't have many Console slots so its can't be that strong. BUT I did take the universal device thingy.. I might decommisson it, a little later on. BUT, at least it did give me one opportunity.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Its kinda funny, during sometime between March and and Augest, I bought the TOS Pack, and I bought the Oddesy Tacitcle Star Cruiser, BOTH thing in which you gave away for free. Admittedly the TOS pack wasn't that much, but the ship was. And I always felt like, FINALLY!!! I have my own unuiqe kinda of ship... But NO! You just give'em away.. Now its like... I coulda got those for free!?!?!? WTH!!!??? No no, just kidding, I did however, get an EXTRA Oddesy ship. So now I have two of them, although, I haven't opened the box as of yet, and probably won't for a while. I also got the science ship, although I don't think I have much use for it, and being that its only T2. Kinda weak, and doesn't have many Console slots so its can't be that strong. BUT I did take the universal device thingy.. I might decommisson it, a little later on. BUT, at least it did give me one opportunity.

Actually the rhode island class can be a tough little sci ship for its tier
  • Options
    seraphtcseraphtc Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Really? Performing maintenance for the last 4 hours of a give away *again*!? I appreciate free stuff, but I have other responsibilities and can't just log in whenever I feel like it.

That might be early in the morning in the US, but here in the UK it's 2pm - 6pm, and most of us don't finish work until 5pm. A little consideration for other time zones wouldn't go amiss.

I get that it's your regular maintenance slot - but frankly that means you know about it in advance as well as we do. You could easily extend the give away for an extra 4 hours to make up for it.
  • Options
    neuralswapneuralswap Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't get you guys really, STO give us gifs and you are complain about it, they patch the game, at the END of free gifs days and BEFORE the start date of the anniversary day (6-10 AM) and you are complain, you also complain about the gifs, than are for definition FREE. Really guys just relax and enjoy the game.
  • Options
    dandyludandylu Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well, I wish the giveaway was more clear here. I've been logged in, and still there has not been a way for me to get it, and my character is level 54. Its been stressful, yet another giveaway, for which I will have to end up purchasing later on, when/if it becomes available.