test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anniversary Personal Log (Part 2)

Comments

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I know every year we get a new ship for all of us and that's cool! But for some of us are winding down our first 5 year mission and I think it would be cool if they would do something for those of us who made it!!! After all we have back this game for most of us almost 5 vets more than any body and that is true! Really some of us have completed the 5 years already and even more if you count beta! So I think it would be cool and outstanding....

You'll get a corpse collecting barge and like it!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• holyknight22holyknight22 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Darn my dreams of a T6 Pakled Anniversary ship are dashed.

I would actually love it if this was a red herring and the real anniversary ships play some other part in the story.

The Kobali story-arch is interesting but not enough that I want to fly one of their ships. My Gorn only has one question, can we blow up this warship and claim it was caused by a Gornado?
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So basically the kobali and the deferi are the same race just one alive and the other dead and alive again lol. Nice blog I think I will count it as playing the anniversary lol... nice one Cryptic will check back on website/forums for the next release :)
  • boweninugamiboweninugami Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Kobali crusier. Hmm, I'll reserve judgement on it until I see the stats of the ship. If it's decent I'll get it for one of my characters.

Can I name it the Flying Dutchman?
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    We've recently intercepted another transmission, regarding a ship named the Samsar! It comes from what appears to be from the Kobali known as Hanchon Jetanian.

See what else you can discern from it here.

~LaughingTrendy
    I'm "discerning" a Kobali propaganda artist.

Yeah, I'm calling bull**** on the Kobali being a "peaceful people". The Kobali are using prisoners of war for reproductive stock, and thirty years ago they fought like mad to hold a Starfleet officer prisoner against her will. They and the Vaadwaur deserve each other.

Cryptic really dropped the ball in the writing here.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    anniversary events are supposed to be one of the last bastions were you can rely on there being factions ships introduced, but nope, just another alien of the week ship for it now too. interest in this anniversary dwindling down to 0%
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    kayajay wrote: »
    Can someone please answer me a question...why the Kobali?

Why are the Kobali taking such a MAJOR role in STO, when they only appeared in one episode of Voyager...which was actually pretty awful.

Well look at the Voth as well. Terrible writing in VOY for a terribad episode, made infinitely worse in STO's execution. Repeat the same process for the Kobali and you get back to back seasons of STO content.

Sadly, this trend shows no signs of changing right now and the same people are still in charge, so the next season will be more drenn of the same pattern.
  • heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited January 2015
    Dear Vaadwaur Supremacy:

If you happen to run into any bio-genic weapons, or a metreon cascade lying around, but can't figure out a way how to deploy it over the Kobali homeworld, I'm willing to help. My cover as a Federation captain will allow me to get into position undetected and unleash the doomsday weapon of your choosing.

Death to the Kobali!
    I AM WAR.
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Curious that so many openly disliked the Kobali arc, yet here be more of the same.

And it's wondered why people make memes poking fun at the devs' logic.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well there goes my hopes for a new warbird. Looks like I'll be spending less time around for the aniversery.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sinn74 wrote: »
    Curious that so many openly disliked the Kobali arc, yet here be more of the same.

And it's wondered why people make memes poking fun at the devs' logic.

How many was it, actually though? I mean, how many different folks actually went there? And just because somebody didn't get involved in a flamewar arguing with them that they were wrong, does that mean that there weren't as many if not more than did like it?

Tends to be the same kind of folks making those memes poking fun at the devs' logic that tend not to understand logic. ;)

We could have 500 folks post in this thread that they hate the idea of a Kobali ship. So uh, what percentage of the game's population is 500 folks? Is it even reflective of the forum population? It is what it is...and folks trying to make it something bigger than it is...well...yeah.

There is all sorts of stuff that might not make sense to the common forum crowd...but uh...we're not some special group. We're uh...hrmmm...why are we on the forums so much?
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Darn my dreams of a T6 Pakled Anniversary ship are dashed.

I would actually love it if this was a red herring and the real anniversary ships play some other part in the story.

The Kobali story-arch is interesting but not enough that I want to fly one of their ships. My Gorn only has one question, can we blow up this warship and claim it was caused by a Gornado?

That was so far off my scope it never even registered. Pakled?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    starswordc wrote: »

Honestly I think Cryptic is trying to creep players out and make them question on purpose. I think they created this controversy knowing full well what they are doing.

Far, far better to actively despise and to debate why (Kobali) than to barely give a damn (Deferi).

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    How many was it, actually though? I mean, how many different folks actually went there? And just because somebody didn't get involved in a flamewar arguing with them that they were wrong, does that mean that there weren't as many if not more than did like it?

Tends to be the same kind of folks making those memes poking fun at the devs' logic that tend not to understand logic. ;)

I don't believe I said anything about it, either- but everyone in-game I usually team with absolutely hated the entire arc. The common theme was "Why can't we fight for the other side?"

I do remember a huge thread filled with "I don't like this story because x" though. Seemed pretty in line with what I have seen in-game.
  • holyknight22holyknight22 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    That was so far off my scope it never even registered. Pakled?

It was a joke that me and some fleet mates come up with sometime ago, before T6. We were joking that it would be hilarious if Cryptic gave us a Pakled ship for the Anniversary ship that had horrendous stats.

I mean, who wouldn't want a ship whose special console named "Can You Make Us Go?" and a ship trait "We Are Smart."
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Honestly I think Cryptic is trying to creep players out and make them question on purpose. I think they created this controversy knowing full well what they are doing.

Far, far better to actively despise and to debate why (Kobali) than to barely give a damn (Deferi).

Me, I'm just hoping that I can turn on this propaganda scammer and bring him to justice.

And then take his ship and see if it takes a decent loadout.

Dear devs: The Kobali have clearly violated sentient rights on numerous occasions, and behave like annoying, sanctimonious hypocrites. The hate leveled at Neelix (and seriously, Neelix was bad enough, those damn Talaxians are an abomination), the Kazon (alright, so they're realistically stupid and incompetent in space, but why even bring those losers into the game?) and such numbskulls is nothing compared to the rage aimed at the Kobali.

In my case, game mechanics aren't going to make me quit the game. You can nerf my Scimitard into obsolescence and buff NPCs to the point of absurdity, but bad writing is the only thing that can drive me away from this game.

Please, for the love of all that is holy to every religion in the universe, don't force me to be an accessory to Kobali crimes against sentience.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The zombies should have a rusted flying tin can of a dreadnought, since their zombie engineers also lost the ability to design creatively, thus resorting to recycling derelict ships of enemy factions.

Its C-Store or Lockbox variants would be very large, supremely OP, and have a console that re-animates your disabled ships to fight on their side.

And people would buy it, and litter sector blocks with it, because of good stats.

Forget T6 Birds of Prey, Novas, Dysons (for those of us who weren't around then), and other cool star trek ships.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    edited January 2015
    sinn74 wrote: »
    I don't believe I said anything about it, either- but everyone in-game I usually team with absolutely hated the entire arc. The common theme was "Why can't we fight for the other side?"

I do remember a huge thread filled with "I don't like this story because x" though. Seemed pretty in line with what I have seen in-game.

There was a post somewhere (too many threads recently) where somebody didn't like the Kobali but thought the story was well done. There's a mix right there. All sorts of folks felt different ways. I enjoyed it up until the end, before they added that other mission. Cause it felt like watching a season finale and having the power go out 15 minutes before it ended. They added that mission and it took me to the cliffhanger season finale kind of thing I expected. Heh, I argued that power going out thing with some folks. But that's the thing, different folks feel different ways about things.

Yeah, I'm calling bull**** on the Kobali being a "peaceful people". The Kobali are using prisoners of war for reproductive stock, and thirty years ago they fought like mad to hold a Starfleet officer prisoner against her will. They and the Vaadwaur deserve each other.

Er...that's not bad writing...that's prejudice affecting the reading. It's from a Kobali point of view. It should be kind of well duh. The Borg did not view themselves in the same way that those they were assimilating. If one wants to see the ball dropped repeatedly with writing, there's plenty over in Ten Forward. Though I guess that's not really fair, one would have higher expectations from Cryptic - professionals...vs the obvious amateur writing in Ten Forward.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I know I have stated multiple times, including in my DR review, that I consider the Kobali arc to be good writing. Of course, I *also* back the decision to put Tovan Khev in the game--he was unprofessional and a major lightning rod sometimes but he had a VERY clear personality (and IMO acting undisciplined is not so outrageous in a civilian with no concept of military discipline) and at least in my head I was able to build up a great backstory for him to put those traits in full context.

But then my view of the Kobali may be affected by the fact that literally one of the very first things to pop into my head may well be a peaceful and viable solution to Kobali reanimation that would virtually eliminate any nonconsent issues. (And given that the Ferengi have already monetized their corpses their legal and law enforcement structures are already set up to handle those who want to claim their prize early...so IMO we are not talking major social disruption other than some people in the desiccation firms protesting and ending up in the unemployment line. And by Ferengi reckoning--too bad so sad if you don't have the lobes to get out of the way fast enough when the market changes.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited January 2015

We could have 500 folks post in this thread that they hate the idea of a Kobali ship. So uh, what percentage of the game's population is 500 folks? Is it even reflective of the forum population? It is what it is...and folks trying to make it something bigger than it is...well...yeah.

There is all sorts of stuff that might not make sense to the common forum crowd...but uh...we're not some special group. We're uh...hrmmm...why are we on the forums so much?

I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of the amount of folks that kept saying DPS is where it is at and the content is way too easy it needs to be MUCH harder and if you don't like DPS or you want to play a different way, L2P and your build sucks, LOL.

Cirran
  • heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited January 2015
    Y'know... I think I've figured out why so many people like the Vaadwaur, and despise the Kobali.

The Vaadwaur were never actually shown doing anything to justify their evil reputation. I mean, sure, they shot a Talaxian. To me, that's a heroic act worthy of praise. If the Kobali ground battlezone had the player run up on some Vaadwaur troops about to lazor-machine-gun a bunch of captive Kobali kneeling in front of the trench that would be their mass grave, or perhaps encounter a lab where the Vaadwaur were performing barbaric medical experiments in an attempt to restore former-Vaadwaur now-Kobali back to their original form, it would do more to portray them as "bad guys." This never happened. Instead, the most morally questionable thing in DR were the actions of the Kobali, with the Vaadwaur appearing almost... justified.
    I AM WAR.
  • jokerhuntrjokerhuntr Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Please tell me we can go after these 'Collection' vessels this kobali scum witch is talking about. I don't see how you can force this species on us and expect us to be all about saving and helping these wanna-be necromancers. I hate, I repeat, Hate the kobali. I do not visit kobali prime, at all, and not one of my officers on my Warbird will take part in any assignment that helps the kobali in whatever way.

Between tovan khev and kobali dogma being forced on us, i wouldnt at all be surprised to see a mass amount of people doing a sit-in until things are changed :eek:
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jokerhuntr wrote: »
    Please tell me we can go after these 'Collection' vessels this kobali scum witch is talking about. I don't see how you can force this species on us and expect us to be all about saving and helping these wanna-be necromancers. I hate, I repeat, Hate the kobali. I do not visit kobali prime, at all, and not one of my officers on my Warbird will take part in any assignment that helps the kobali in whatever way.

Between tovan khev and kobali dogma being forced on us, i wouldnt at all be surprised to see a mass amount of people doing a sit-in until things are changed :eek:
    Good luck in dreaming that. since that's what it is, a dream. I don't mind the Kobali. They're interesting. All this hatred toward them is childish, in my opinion.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
    edited January 2015
    heckgoblin wrote: »
    Y'know... I think I've figured out why so many people like the Vaadwaur, and despise the Kobali.

The Vaadwaur were never actually shown doing anything to justify their evil reputation. I mean, sure, they shot a Talaxian. To me, that's a heroic act worthy of praise. If the Kobali ground battlezone had the player run up on some Vaadwaur troops about to lazor-machine-gun a bunch of captive Kobali kneeling in front of the trench that would be their mass grave, or perhaps encounter a lab where the Vaadwaur were performing barbaric medical experiments in an attempt to restore former-Vaadwaur now-Kobali back to their original form, it would do more to portray them as "bad guys." This never happened. Instead, the most morally questionable thing in DR were the actions of the Kobali, with the Vaadwaur appearing almost... justified.

Gets tough, cause it gets into spoilers for folks that haven't played through the entire thing - but I kind of dug how it wasn't presented as a simple action story. There was a depth to both sides of the conflict...there was growth...there were twists. Yes, some folks are going to end up siding with one side or the other, even if it is just a case of thinking one worse than the other and potentially not wanting to have to take a side at all...but to me it offered a pretty nifty complex story there. Could see it from the Kobali angle. Could see it from the Vaadwaur angle. Could see where the Kobali would do what they did in turn. Could see where there was more going on with the Vaadwaur than just the Kobali. It was pretty nifty, imho. But man, I hated how it ended before they added that other episode...it was such a WTF thing for me...lol. So for me it was the best story they'd done so far...previous stories had oft appeared too flat, too one sided, too obvious - even with some of the rationalizations for things, it was just kind of cliche. This story was pretty nifty, imho.

Can definitely see where folks wouldn't have liked it for a bunch of different reasons, why they might not have liked a particular side, and all the rest. Not saying anybody has to feel the same as I do...just saying how I feel.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    gulberat wrote: »

Er...that's not bad writing...that's prejudice affecting the reading. It's from a Kobali point of view. It should be kind of well duh. The Borg did not view themselves in the same way that those they were assimilating. If one wants to see the ball dropped repeatedly with writing, there's plenty over in Ten Forward. Though I guess that's not really fair, one would have higher expectations from Cryptic - professionals...vs the obvious amateur writing in Ten Forward.

That's not what I was getting at in regards to the bad writing part. I was getting at the fact that you as the player character have absolutely no say in how the story plays out regardless of your opinion of the Kobali. You don't even get to react -- Harry Kim and Mr. Random Benzite steal the show and the PC is sidelined despite being the ranking officer present and potentially not even part of Starfleet.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm hoping it is like some Star Trek episodes were the main characters help a seemly good race...only to have the race turn around and attack when convenient. It would be nice to have a backstabbing arc and I'd like the change pace. And between the Elachi and Kobali I'm thinking the best course of action upon death in the STO universe is to get cremated...much safer. How can anyone rest in peace knowing that some alien race might come along to use and abuse their body for reproduction?

At the moment I'm fairly tired of finding out that every race in the universe that shoots at us is somehow working for the Iconians. Please Cryptic, either let us shoot Phaser holes through Iconian soldiers or provide us with an unrelated enemy.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015

No. Your missing the point.

I think Cryptic did something that grasps the foundation of storytelling in Star Trek. Present us with a moral dilemma, and ask how would you handle it?

It's brilliant and daring.

The question isn't 'Why the Kobali' - the real question is 'What should you do?'
  • jokerhuntrjokerhuntr Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Good luck in dreaming that. since that's what it is, a dream. I don't mind the Kobali. They're interesting. All this hatred toward them is childish, in my opinion.

Im allowed my dreams :D I am however resigned to the fact that there will be no changes and our, The Players, voices will go unheard. I can only hope and dream that Iconians come and wipe kobali prime out of delta space at some point in the storyline, since the necromancers were a huge reason the grand alliance was formed, with myself and my crew applauding and drinking Dosi Rotgut to a sinister evil finally being banished and tovan floating slowly past the window after having been ejected off my Warbird :cool:
  • chiselheadchiselhead Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Kill all the Kobali damn zombie's anyway
  • ightenighten Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have more symapthy with every day that passes for the Vaadwaur.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]