test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

People are voting with their wallets, it's "Yes"

Comments

• antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Given the quality of some of netflix's shows (hemlock grove, house of cards, even their arrested development stuff) I'd love to see what they might come up with for a trek series.

I think that going overboard on too many alumni can definitely backfire, but I also feel that done right the show doesn't have to feel like a fan project. And having a Walter koenig to fill the same role in the pilot that deforest kelly did for encounter at far point, or Patrick Stewart did for the first ds9 episode should be fine. I don't see renegades as focusing on the older actors though, at least not from what I've seen in the teasers so far.

I get where you're coming from, and agree with the issue as you see it. Thanks for explaining.

Think we pretty much agree. I could be wrong having not seen anything finished from Reneges of Course. Just looking at all the Trek actors involved like Russ, Picardo, Graham and then a ton of washed up ex Sci Fi show regulars. I want to like it... the trek geek in me would love to see it happen. The realist in me though says a company like Netflix would be looking for something a bit more fresh while still being safe. I could envision something almost more like a voyager clone... or some cross between that far away from home idea with TNG, some long range science / exploration thing or something.

Enterprise made the mistake of having far to many fan nods in its first season... and I believe it sunk that show. Instead of nods to characters, they nodded trek tech to often. Even the fans got sick of... "oh look early photons... oh look early phasers... oh look the first transporter... oh THATS where the red alert comes from lol... the grappler ect ect" the first season almost felt like every episode only existed to explain how some great trek tech came to be.

I agree though a tasteful send off from an old character can be done well. The Deforest Kelly cameo was very well done. I would just hope they would steer clear of the traps that could sink the show into insider territory. To many in jokes and (plot)devices are a turn off to new fans. Nothing would be better then a great Hi quality 8-10 Episode New Trek Netflix show. As long as it was solid Sci Fi on its own... with out needed to rely on nods to old material all the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Think we pretty much agree. I could be wrong having not seen anything finished from Reneges of Course. Just looking at all the Trek actors involved like Russ, Picardo, Graham and then a ton of washed up ex Sci Fi show regulars. I want to like it... the trek geek in me would love to see it happen. The realist in me though says a company like Netflix would be looking for something a bit more fresh while still being safe. I could envision something almost more like a voyager clone... or some cross between that far away from home idea with TNG, some long range science / exploration thing or something.

Enterprise made the mistake of having far to many fan nods in its first season... and I believe it sunk that show. Instead of nods to characters, they nodded trek tech to often. Even the fans got sick of... "oh look early photons... oh look early phasers... oh look the first transporter... oh THATS where the red alert comes from lol... the grappler ect ect" the first season almost felt like every episode only existed to explain how some great trek tech came to be.

I agree though a tasteful send off from an old character can be done well. The Deforest Kelly cameo was very well done. I would just hope they would steer clear of the traps that could sink the show into insider territory. To many in jokes and (plot)devices are a turn off to new fans. Nothing would be better then a great Hi quality 8-10 Episode New Trek Netflix show. As long as it was solid Sci Fi on its own... with out needed to rely on nods to old material all the time.

Well Feb 10th is the date they hope will present to CBS. I suspect there'll be something leaked before then. Even if not, thats just three tuesdays from today.

http://startrekrenegades.com/home/category/str-news/
    edited January 2015
    Well Feb 10th is the date they hope will present to CBS. I suspect there'll be something leaked before then. Even if not, thats just three tuesdays from today.

http://startrekrenegades.com/home/category/str-news/

Good luck to them either way. If they don't try and hold out for CBS to pay them... we may have another high quality fan made thing to watch anyway. :)

If its cheap enough and the quality is high enough though I guess it could make a great market test for CBS on Netfix. That would be cool... even if they don't pick it up as a show and just treat it as a one off thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2015
    Ya ok... I went and rewatched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTHWji3BIeo

No way Netflix or CBS put there name on this. lol

The definition of fan made... I mean just notice bounty hunter at the table in that scene. I'm sure CBS isn't looking to get sued by Disney. :)

... and yes I know I know hes a breen. Just can't get over how cheap that scene looks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I wouldn't count on that one. Trek is one of the highest rated shows on Netflix. Think its more realistic that they sign some form of deal with CBS at some point. I can't see them going with something like a renagades though. They will want a more trek show I would imagine.

Netflix wants to bring back Enterprise for a miniseries and there is some advantage in that because Enterprise works with the J.J.-verse AND the Prime timeline.

Though my money says:

A full on Trek series probably makes the most sense as a 12 episodes a year "no filler episodes" show on cable or Netflix with higher grade SFX.

A (lower tech than Enterprise) spinoff in the vein of Caprica is what you'd need for a 22 episode a year network show. As in something like a present day cop show with "mythology" elements from Star Trek like a Klingon criminal or a time traveler on present day earth.

You could do both. I don't see a 22 episode a year Trek show working in the current environment.

I think the best venue for something like Renegades or Dorn's Worf idea would probably be something like DTV anime/animation similar to the DC Comics home video releases. And that would be your best bet at a TNG follow-up. Worf probably has the better branding and name recognition for that, without using the full TNG lineup, which I can see CBS and Paramount planning as a movie reboot.
  • bobosmrade1bobosmrade1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I remember because I had a big thread called "zen 161" or something like that, complaining about the high cost of zen and proposing limits on dil or a new dil sink.

If my memory works good, you were the OP of that thread ;)
    Cave Troll vs Forum troll
    Know the difference
    It could save your life...
    rushatsi wrote: »
    pvp? whats dat?
    Pervert vs. Pervert!:eek:
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It'sHave any of you seen the Kickstarter project called Axanar? There is a 20 minute documentary teaser for the movie on YouTube. It's a very high quality production with real actors. Just do a search on YouTube for star trek axanar or four years war.
    Tza0PEl.png