test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

People are voting with their wallets, it's "Yes"

Comments

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Creating Zen and acquiring Zen are two different beasts.

For Zen to enter the system, ie, be created, money must be expended.

Once in the system, after having been purchased with real money, it can be acquired through other means.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I haven't spent 1 single cent on DR, nor will I ever.

Re-installed windows recently and STO is no longer on my drive and I won't be back until everything is un-nerfed, and, they fix the content drought, and, add modifers to crafting, remove dil from crafting, create meaningful content, fix pvp but more than anything shove the idea of farming THOUSANDS of patrols mission a year per character for text changes in notepad.

But of course the whales will be whaling until the servers go dark, if they weren't whaling, they wouldn't be whales
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    vestereng wrote: »

Re-installed windows recently and STO is no longer on my drive and I won't be back until everything is un-nerfed, and, they fix the content drought, and, add modifers to crafting, remove dil from crafting, create meaningful content, fix pvp but more than anything shove the idea of farming THOUSANDS of patrols mission a year per character for text changes in notepad.

But of course the whales will be whaling until the servers go dark, if they weren't whaling, they wouldn't be whales
    I'd ask if I could have your stuffs, but then you'd have to download STO and log in, so all I can say is, have fun doing something else!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2015
    I would buy the TOS uniforms dress uniforms that Kirk and Spock and the commodore wore while giving Spock a courts martial for hijacking the Enterprise to bring a paralyzed Pike back to his lost love.
    You can do this. I got them for free - I think it was one of the Arc codes - but they're still in the C-Store. (On my secondary account, I had a captain wearing the TOS dress tunic with the Mirror Universe sash in gold. Quite striking as a combination, especially with a sidearm. Now, of course, she's in a regulation Odyssey uniform, because I've always rather liked the idea of a uniformed service that actually, you know, wore a uniform. :) )
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2015
    Yes you would use an automated parrot developer apologist response, because that's all you ever type out, so no surprises there.

The point was the insane low point of the game, everything else said could be rhetorical for all you know.

This won't be the first time I will be in the developers face on a regular basis without playing either, probably won't be the last either
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The metric I use is a public metric, and I think a compelling one- the price of cash shop items in in-game currency.

Specifically, the price of keys and other c-store only items in ec, and the price of dil in zen...
    there isn't any indication people are spending less on the game.

This is flawed...unless you back it up with real "data" metrics...public what? dont know what this is referring to. It might be a feeling but feeling is not a metric.

All I can say is that I have been in this game to note cycles/fluctuations of the markets. Keys are low priced? really? last time I checked they were selling close to 1.9 to 2 MILL EC on the exchange...unless someone bought a ton of those last weekend.
    I have been here so long that I have seen prizes as low as 1.1 MIL pre DR. At times when no box was being created by Cryptic prizes were about 1.5MIL or so and stabilized for a while. If this is a decrease I love to see an increase. I'm taking about years...not months since the inception of the first JHAS box.

Anyone can speculate anything but if you present data...thats another story. Even so...for instance with steam charts that represent some data...people will not believe it. So at the end we just blowing smoke and no reason to bring up a public metric or whatever you call to an speculation.

People have been playing the market for the longest time and fluctuations will happen. Im sure there will be an end to STO but dont think its here yet.
    DUwNP.gif

• qunlar2020qunlar2020 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yes you would use an automated parrot developer apologist response, because that's all you ever type out, so no surprises there.

The point was the insane low point of the game, everything else said could be rhetorical for all you know.

This won't be the first time I will be in the developers face on a regular basis without playing either, probably won't be the last either

Do you believe that the game might change to your prefrence?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was Klingon before Klingon was cool.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Regarding the bolded part, you seem to love pipe dreams... you know that the devs won't do that, and for that, I thank them. I don't mind the so-called "nerfs" or "grinds" or anything else that have happened recently.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
    edited January 2015
    Regarding the bolded part, you seem to love pipe dreams... you know that the devs won't do that, and for that, I thank them. I don't mind the so-called "nerfs" or "grinds" or anything else that have happened recently.

Level grinding has been apart of RPG's since introduced on "pen and paper." I agree this might be damaging to someone's psyche. It is a no-win scenario for so many who demand a kind of change may not happen. Of course most of the "I quit" crowd are not specific in their explanations as to what is wrong with the game in most cases.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2015
    qunlar2020 wrote: »
    Of course most of the "I quit" crowd are not specific in their explanations as to what is wrong with the game in most cases.
    True enough. That's why I tend to ignore them once they've made it plain that they're only hanging out here to annoy those of us who are still playing.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    True enough. That's why I tend to ignore them once they've made it plain that they're only hanging out here to annoy those of us who are still playing.

My favorite ones are those who think themselves important to the game's survival. Yet they use the third party forum, run by a different subsidiary of the parent company. If these peaple are so important why don't they call the person incharge? The important peaple would have the number.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There has been a lot of ballyhoo on the forums about the game being wrecked, and people abandoning it, but I don't think there is good evidence that this is true.

The metric I use is a public metric, and I think a compelling one- the price of cash shop items in in-game currency.

Specifically, the price of keys and other c-store only items in ec, and the price of dil in zen.

I had the unpleasant experience of playing a game called archeage at its launch recently, and like STO, it had a cash shop which was the only source of many useful items.

The game crashed and burned, and the prices of these items went up and up on the game's auction house. Prices have nearly tripled at this point vs what they were when people still liked the game.

This is because people stopped spending money.

The only truly limited resources in STO are the c-store items and zen, since they cannot be earned in game, only bought for real money.

If people on the whole spend less money on the game, then the supply of these items will go down, and over time, their price in game will go up, since in game resources like dil and ec can be generated infinitely.

This isn't happening in STO though. Lockbox keys are, if anything, going down in price, and the dil value of zen is quite stable, in spite of the huge dil sink of upgrading items being introduced.

If people started spending significantly less money on STO, you would see the ec prices of keys, fleet ship modules, ship upgrade tokens and R&D packs go up and up, as well as the dil/zen rate.

None of this is happening, there isn't any indication people are spending less on the game.

The fact that we're debating this nonsense on the forums instead of playing the game is rather telling don't you think?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
    edited January 2015
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    The fact that we're debating this nonsense on the forums instead of playing the game is rather telling don't you think?

You are correct and the answer is yes. The more successful an enterprise is the more it grows in both public support and criticism together. This number of those who criticise sto increases with the population size of it's players. Had cryptic actually done something to warrent a mass decline in population that many nay-sayers claim to have occured. Then the use of the public forum would also decline with both positive and negative postings. The primary reason for this is that most peaple are non-confrontational and simply leave with saying very little if any. With DR out for more than three months and that was supposedly the last straw, the fact that the game continues almost unchanged shows no effert is needed to save the profit from shorting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2015
    No I don't believe the game is going to get better, I think it's going to get worse and worse as hard as that is to imagine.

I just happen to also believe in fairness and reality. And those 2 are what complaining represent.

They can lockbox trick patrol grind the whales all they want, doesn't change anything.

Ultimately people are STILL playing the same 1-3 STF maps day in day out if that isn't a content drought I don't know what is, with gameplay that hasn't changed AT ALL, minus consistent nerfing that has ruined what fun there was.

But so in the end someone has to keep the developers grounded (triple pun) because the alternative is them getting away with murder.

The game has turned into a button you press to give them dil and money, that for some reason is timegated, I guess to force you to stick around and waste even more.
    And it seems everyone forgot that the whole premise of everything is time as a currency in the form of dilithium.

The whales are still timegated though and f2p'ers need millions of dil to play the top maps or pvp in effect making pay2win ships, ruining what used to be pretty casual and relaxed.

I'd sum that up with "fundamentally broken" based on its own premises, not that isn't 200 other points to include here but I think you get the picture
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Keys are almost double the price from when I left about 18 months ago.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    No I don't believe the game is going to get better, I think it's going to get worse and worse as hard as that is to imagine.

I just happen to also believe in fairness and reality. And those 2 are what complaining represent.

They can lockbox trick patrol grind the whales all they want, doesn't change anything.

Ultimately people are STILL playing the same 1-3 STF maps day in day out if that isn't a content drought I don't know what is, with gameplay that hasn't changed AT ALL, minus consistent nerfing that has ruined what fun there was.

But so in the end someone has to keep the developers grounded (triple pun) because the alternative is them getting away with murder.

The game has turned into a button you press to give them dil and money, that for some reason is timegated, I guess to force you to stick around and waste even more.
    And it seems everyone forgot that the whole premise of everything is time as a currency in the form of dilithium.

The whales are still timegated though and f2p'ers need millions of dil to play the top maps or pvp in effect making pay2win ships, ruining what used to be pretty casual and relaxed.

I'd sum that up with "fundamentally broken" based on its own premises, not that isn't 200 other points to include here but I think you get the picture

This is only applicable to a certain group players.

You see a lot of F2P players tackling Elite content at high performance groups simply because they have the knowledge to get dilithium, levels, specializations and EC at optimal levels with less amount of time.

You also see the ToP PvE performers barely grind at patrol missions even during XP Weekend. They just do what ordinary players, do different content in their case elite content, chat at private channel, AFK at ESD.

There is a disparity though between players which is knowledge of the game. The disparity of those who frequent complain about grind/dili sink is huge vs the ToP Pve players. So DR never really made dili sink or spec/level on that disparity but rather the players/community themselves.

The way I see it patrol missions are satisfaction now or dili sink finish now button of the impatient player. You have the option not to do it and do what you do for the next few months without burning yourselves out.
    edited January 2015

Your reasons are specific and i can understand these preferences as personal requirements for playing the game by someone else.

What part of the game if any did you enjoy doing before it changed?

I myself don't actually play much of the new content either, what i enjoy about the game is not the new stuff that trickles out. What I enjoy when I log in is the doffing, it's a repetitive task that does not require a lot of effort. While doing this I can keep an ear out for the kids, replay lectures from a class, review what have may have happened at work, or just let my mind wind down.

You mentioned the grinding for skill points and advancement being too much, how much would you prefer there to be?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2015
    The premise I have been playing the game under is what I'd call "casual".

Leveling was casual, gear was casual, difficulty was casual.

It was okay to take a galaxy into eSTF on your 3rd day of playing the game, because we playing knowing that people are star trek fans cruising the game for their favorite ship.

And the stories being TRIBBLE was okay too because you didn't even have to play them, you could just do mirror.

So like I said the premise of the game has been broken, the agreement of what the game is, is dead
    edited January 2015
    The premise I have been playing the game under is what I'd call "casual".

Leveling was casual, gear was casual, difficulty was casual.

It was okay to take a galaxy into eSTF on your 3rd day of playing the game, because we playing knowing that people are star trek fans cruising the game for their favorite ship.

And the stories being TRIBBLE was okay too because you didn't even have to play them, you could just do mirror.

So like I said the premise of the game has been broken, the agreement of what the game is, is dead

Players are still making use of the content provided to them, players are also spending money still apparently as well. When there are signs of life their must be life. It is unfortunate that the content you prefer no longer exists or has become too difficult though. Might I ask why you continue to return to deface a game and any players who enjoy it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    People may be voting "yes" with their wallets.

People may be spending money because they can't control their impulses.

There are always possibilities.

There are also no other substantial Star Trek MMOs, so people get their Trek fix here.
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    spockout1 wrote: »
    People may be voting "yes" with their wallets.

People may be spending money because they can't control their impulses.

There are always possibilities.

There are also no other substantial Star Trek MMOs, so people get their Trek fix here.

And no current TV series *fingers crossed CBS likes renegades*
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    meh, I play about 10 different queues regularly and do a lot of other content like battlezones, foundry, kerrat, deferi, etc... from time to time. I grind during big weekends like dil and exp, but otherwise I play what I enjoy. And there's still quite a lot for me to enjoy. Aside from lifetime I see no need to spend $$. Build up a supply of both dil and zen and enjoy yourself.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited January 2015
    The food industry in the US?

People never spent this much money, never bought this much food.

But that's obesity with people eating themselves to death, so the gecko point that "best expansion ever" based on money spent, nothing could be more primitive.

And that wasn't a random analogy to the whales either
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    And no current TV series *fingers crossed CBS likes renegades*

I wouldn't count on that one. Trek is one of the highest rated shows on Netflix. Think its more realistic that they sign some form of deal with CBS at some point. I can't see them going with something like a renagades though. They will want a more trek show I would imagine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
    edited January 2015
    I wouldn't count on that one. Trek is one of the highest rated shows on Netflix. Think its more realistic that they sign some form of deal with CBS at some point. I can't see them going with something like a renagades though. They will want a more trek show I would imagine.

What do you mean by "more trek show"?
    edited January 2015
    The food industry in the US?

People never spent this much money, never bought this much food.

But that's obesity with people eating themselves to death, so the gecko point that "best expansion ever" based on money spent, nothing could be more primitive.

And that wasn't a random analogy to the whales either

Money is the only true way for a business to know if what it's doing is successful. As for the players spending money unwisely, that is not for us to judge. I'm sure the odds are that some do spend money when they shouldn't but we don't know to what extent. We don't know that any more than we would know just how much profit Criptic made with DR. The only thing we know is what's in front of us.

What we do know:
    It takes a lot of grinding to level 50-60.

It has become less successful unless you do the new content or doff.

Upgrading items can become expensive dilithium wise if unprepaired.

The older qued team missions are still difficult for unprepaired players.

The casual player must have patience and planning if they expect to win more often than they are.

Finally there has been and always will be things created that we don't like and need to get over our percieved entitlements. We do not own this game we only make use of it. All we can do is declair our desires of change. If we invest our feelings into our expectations we will find our feelings get hurt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What do you mean by "more trek show"?

In there own words "Renegades will be a departure from previous Treks". Can't help but notice what hits the trending section on netflix is standard trek. Looking there I see TNG TOS and VOY pretty often... the shows that stepped further away from that feel like DS9 don't end up on there. They don't share viewing numbers, I would have to guess however they would be looking for a new show that would be closer to the stuff that is watched more. I doubt we see DS9 2... or that they go for something like a renagades. (or that they want 60-90 year old versions of old characters).

I enjoy watching the fan made stuff (at least some of it). Really though even if they pumped 50 million into renegades, it will still feel like a fan made thing. Netflix and CBS would both be looking for a higher class product. I would imagine netflix would be very keen to throw money at such a project, and they would likely be able to attract some high quality people. I believe it would be a major mistake to try and include older trek actors. I am sure the only thing that has kept such a thing from happening has been the greed of CBS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
    edited January 2015
    People who generalize are always wrong

The crack cocaine industry is one of the most succesful industries, so is war...

Money in and of itself is not an indicator of something being good, if anything the opposite.

You are right as far as to what the developers care about of course.

But what we are talking about here is the quality of the game... being ruined by whales.

We already know the whales buy in - no matter what and we already know the game is hurting.

Question is what can be done if anything and I am not even saying the developers haven't done it out of spite either
    edited January 2015
    In there own words "Renegades will be a departure from previous Treks". Can't help but notice what hits the trending section on netflix is standard trek. Looking there I see TNG TOS and VOY pretty often... the shows that stepped further away from that feel like DS9 don't end up on there. They don't share viewing numbers, I would have to guess however they would be looking for a new show that would be closer to the stuff that is watched more. I doubt we see DS9 2... or that they go for something like a renagades. (or that they want 60-90 year old versions of old characters).

I enjoy watching the fan made stuff (at least some of it). Really though even if they pumped 50 million into renegades, it will still feel like a fan made thing. Netflix and CBS would both be looking for a higher class product. I would imagine netflix would be very keen to throw money at such a project, and they would likely be able to attract some high quality people. I believe it would be a major mistake to try and include older trek actors. I am sure the only thing that has kept such a thing from happening has been the greed of CBS.

Given the quality of some of netflix's shows (hemlock grove, house of cards, even their arrested development stuff) I'd love to see what they might come up with for a trek series.

I think that going overboard on too many alumni can definitely backfire, but I also feel that done right the show doesn't have to feel like a fan project. And having a Walter koenig to fill the same role in the pilot that deforest kelly did for encounter at far point, or Patrick Stewart did for the first ds9 episode should be fine. I don't see renegades as focusing on the older actors though, at least not from what I've seen in the teasers so far.

I get where you're coming from, and agree with the issue as you see it. Thanks for explaining.
    edited January 2015
    People who generalize are always wrong

The crack cocaine industry is one of the most succesful industries, so is war...

Money in and of itself is not an indicator of something being good, if anything the opposite.

You are right as far as to what the developers care about of course.

But what we are talking about here is the quality of the game... being ruined by whales.

We already know the whales buy in - no matter what and we already know the game is hurting.

Question is what can be done if anything and I am not even saying the developers haven't done it out of spite either

When dealing with the indeviduality of human preferince genralization is the only way to win, becouse we are so different. It is becouse you do not generalize when it comes to personal preferince is one of the reasons you are wrong.

As for good or bad concerning cryptic's methode of measuring with profit. I said successful, equating a business like cryptic with the illeagal sale of narcotics or even war is entirelly unfair and incorrect on your part. Had Cryptic performed any illeagal acts that could be proven does not mean that they have. It is worse than your idea that since you dislike the content in-game it must be fact for everyone, and those who disagree with you are wrong. I can prove this when you lashed out before at another poster for being an appologist for the developers. The list of what I posted is only what we agree on, it is not documented fact becouse they are subjective.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]