test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

yaaayy new dil sink

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    :P I always thought when looking for weapons and consoles... I bet it cost Picard a lot to upgrade that big ship while the monolithic Republic he was employed by gave him little or nothing to do it with. Then I thought about him picking through debris looking for inferior warp cores that survived the destruction so he could race off to the local battery mart to sell them for energy credits but had to stop at various dilithium sources on the way to the store to dig for more kinds of money.

The only faction this entire method seems to fit is the Klingons who can tend to be more mercenary/privateer than military officer and have a habit of raiding outposts (which one would assume they loot for tech).
    Actually.... We know that Geordi and Data were constantly tinkering with the ship to make it better. We know they had materials to work with, but it was never shown on screen where they came from.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    Forcing me to spend precious Dil to regain BOFF skills that I already had on my crew, that I had worked hard at to obtain the points needed? How peachy!

Like I said before, Cryptic may as well have a load screen that reads "This is Star Trek Online. F**K YOU!"

Where the hell you find any info about that? :eek: You want lose any skill you already have, you will only get ability to learn other skills in the future.
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Actually.... We know that Geordi and Data were constantly tinkering with the ship to make it better. We know they had materials to work with, but it was never shown on screen where they came from.

I remember once the original crew had to find dilithium to fix some crucial part of the warp system. The Next Gen team did hunt for android parts it seems. That is how "Nemesis" started. Geordi did seem to do a lot of R&D, yes, but it always seemed to me was taking what he had and making it better. This fits the new R&D system nicely but as you say, they never said where he got the materials to do it. I get most of mine from "scanning anomalies" either in missions or sending doffs out to the nearest whatever to do scientific research and bring back samples to test. These exist in both the series and the game, no argument there, so maybe the time off screen was the grind. :D (Not a smart aleck comment by the way, it's meant as funny).

I don't have the direct quote but Picard does say at length in "First Contact" to the sheer amount of titanium in the Enterprise that economics in this time are vastly different when the comment on "scrounging for enough titanium to make a cockpit" was uttered. It seemed to imply nothing is scrounged for. I do a lot of scrounging.

Again, this is totally off topic but... a little levity might help anyway.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Looking forward to the update, and not really sure what all the fuss in about tbh..

So long as these Training Manuals stay out of lockboxes and the lobi store, I don't really have a problem.

And there are some... OP powers from other events I'd love to see show up in lockboxes. Take Worf's lt level ability that gives a ship faw3, torp spread 3 with one button press. I would be after that like lawyer over social injustice....

This is something players have asked for. A way to train unique boffs and a way to get the rarer powers without searching the exchange boff by boff. It'll have a dilithium fee, but buying basic boffs has been dilithium feed for well over a year, so I don't see a problem.
  • mrtsheadmrtshead Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sinn74 wrote: »
    I like how you cut out the rest of that quote, which instantly nullifies everything you're saying. :rolleyes:

I cut the rest of the quote because it doesn't matter. You are appealing to your sense of "common sense". I'm saying that is not a thing you should do. Common sense is functionally identical to "things I believe are true, but don't want to be bothered to prove (or can't prove), so I will appeal to the idea that it's reasonable because I believe enough other people agree with me to make it so". That is lazy thinking.

Or, you know, I said "They already have enough ways to make money" and I meant "they already have enough ways to make money." Funny how fact works. :D

So, because you want me to be meaning something totally different than I'm saying, therefore, that thing that I didn't say MUST mean this other thing that I didn't say. Wow, good thing you're completely changing my meaning, intent, and actual words. That's not an annoying quality or anything.

"You really meant to say that SpongeBob Squarepants is the new Hulk. Therefore, you must mean that Iron Man is going to be a homosexual." See? I can do it too!

So, my crime here was that I attempted to connect one of the things you said ("they have enough ways of making money") to your conclusion that this new system is clearly a bad idea, when instead you meant it as a wholly unrelated premise with no connection to the context of the thread? Or, put another way, instead of just repeating the literal words that you said, please explain how you intended those words to fit into the context of the conversation if it was not as a part of a broader argument that boils down to "They don't need to do this, and it's a bad idea because the game is already in trouble", because otherwise its clear that we are just going to keep talking past each other. I am attempting to show how the things you are saying are not internally consistent with each other as an exemplar of the way in which people, in my opinion, are content to feel first and think second, without critically examining if their feelings were justified in the first place. If my interpretation of how your claims fits together is wrong, please, let me know how you intended them to fit together. If your claim is that I am wrong to attempt to fit them together at all, then please explain why that is so.

I will repeat. Again.

I never said this will "kill the game." I am stating not only my opinion, but common sense, and my firsthand observations. I also do not play this game within a vacuum. There is much more complaining in-game than the CDF on the forums could handle without an aneurism. Just because you have some doe-eyed love thing going on for Cryptic, you don't need to jump on everything everyone disagrees with when it comes to them.

Your opinion, common sense, and your firsthand observations are all the same thing (or at least are inextricably linked). Common sense is subjective - even at the meta level of the concept of common sense having value itself. The ideas that you categorize as "common sense" are simply the things you choose to uncritically assume are true - how do we know negative press is hurting the game? It's "common sense", right? Except, if you actually examined that claim, you might find that it's not that simple.

Similarly, your observations are colored by your interpretations of those observations, as well as your inherent assumptions. Confirmation bias is a real thing - we can only process so much information at a time, so rather than look at the whole picture we find ourselves focusing on only those parts that support the point we are trying to make, while the rest fades into the background, like the moonwalking bear.
    I have said people are leaving. You said it was a lie. It is not. This is not subjective. It is a fact that can be proven. Whether or not you say you see differently is absolutely irrelevant. People are leaving. I'm sorry you can't wrap your head around things happening that you can't see yourself, or fail to see on purpose. People talk. People complain. I see it. People leave. I see it. People stop spending money. I see it. Because you choose to not use this (because it's not metrics?), only makes it invalid to you.

And it is ridiculous to assume that those are the only two possibilities, unless one has very little critical thinking skills, or imagination.

You make a lot of assumptions, and then go nutty saying I'm making assumptions, which I'm not. Bravo!

I can show you "last login" times of people on my friend list and fleet. That is data. But, then you would have some other thing that makes no sense to try and say that it doesn't matter, even though that's what I said.

TL DR
    People are leaving. This is not something you can dispute without being wrong. I don't dispute what you are claiming, because I have no proof. What I do have is proof of what I say.

How am I in any kind of rage? Another assumption.

It might be able to be proven, but not by data you have, nor any other data available to random forum goers. See above - everything you are using is subjective, and boils down to your opinion. You choose to believe your anecdotal evidence is better than mine - last login dates? I have like 150 friends, and the vast majority of them haven't logged in in like 2 years - many of them left during the great content drought when Atari was looking to sell Cryptic. By your standards, that means I have sufficient evidence to "prove" that a lack of content is the culprit in terms of driving people away, but, as we have already seen, you don't agree. I agree with you on that score - this kind of personal data might be suggestive to us, personally, but it doesn't constitute any kind of "proof" in a real sense. To be clear, I'm not saying that your data is a lie - I'm saying that it is insufficient to support the broader claims you are seeking to make, for exactly the same reasons my evidence is insufficient.

So where does that leave us? Neither of us have any evidence, which to me implies that the rational thing to do would be to withhold judgement until we do have evidence. Further, I am suggesting that if you are incapable of withholding judgement - that is, if you feel that this has crossed your personal threshold for what you will tolerate regardless of its actual effect on the game as a whole, then the logical thing to do is to go to greener pastures. At no point does it seem profitable to attempt to argue for anything broader than that.

I apologize for accusing you to be in a rage. Please replace rage with "frustration" or "grumpines", or "ungood feelings" or whatever else you feel is more appropriate. It is not the degree of negativity that I'm objecting to - it's the idea that it is reasonable to have rationally come to a negative (or really any kind of) conclusion at all. The status quo is that this system is coming. If you wish to rationally argue that changing this is a good idea, you will need stronger evidence than you are capable of presenting.
    No, it's ridiculous that you are saying any of these things in relation to what I said. Now that I see it's not a joke, I actually feel bad. You're doing an excellent job, and you should be proud, Sparky.

Why is it ridiculous? Are you not making the claim that you have expectations of quality and fun from the game? Sure seems like you are. I'm pointing out that in actual fact, saying "it's not fun" is, again, not sufficient to automatically support your position, because a) subjective and b) not directly relevant. The raison d'etre for Cryptic is not actually to entertain you. It's to make money. If you aren't having fun, that's too bad - but if the company is making money, there's no reason to expect them to change.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They can replicate the titanium. Industrial replicators.

They only need to harness the energy of the sun and other fusion to power all for free.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    I remember once the original crew had to find dilithium to fix some crucial part of the warp system. The Next Gen team did hunt for android parts it seems. That is how "Nemesis" started. Geordi did seem to do a lot of R&D, yes, but it always seemed to me was taking what he had and making it better. This fits the new R&D system nicely but as you say, they never said where he got the materials to do it. I get most of mine from "scanning anomalies" either in missions or sending doffs out to the nearest whatever to do scientific research and bring back samples to test. These exist in both the series and the game, no argument there, so maybe the time off screen was the grind. :D (Not a smart aleck comment by the way, it's meant as funny).

I don't have the direct quote but Picard does say at length in "First Contact" to the sheer amount of titanium in the Enterprise that economics in this time are vastly different when the comment on "scrounging for enough titanium to make a cockpit" was uttered. It seemed to imply nothing is scrounged for. I do a lot of scrounging.

Again, this is totally off topic but... a little levity might help anyway.
    I took his "scrounging for Titanium" comment to meant that the Federation had ample supplies of it. I took it to mean that in the Federation certain materials that are considered rare by modern standards are much easier to acquire. They constantly show new things that don't exist IRL that are considered at least somewhat difficult to find.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They currently charge 150ec to change a boff skill.

They charge 75dil to make a mk2 weapon.

There are plenty of trivial costs in the game.

And most of those trivial costs are voluntary and you don't have to pay them. If you want something faster then you simply pay additional fee for hurry.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They currently charge 150ec to change a boff skill.

They charge 75dil to make a mk2 weapon.

There are plenty of trivial costs in the game.

There's a dilithium cost to crafting mk ii weapons?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    walshicus wrote: »
    There's a dilithium cost to crafting mk ii weapons?

If you use the "Finish Now" button, yes.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    gregkane wrote: »
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9052733

Looks like a nice new dil sink for us all yaaayyy

My post a while back that talked about how they were altering the availability of dilithum, (lowering it) also mentioned that we'd see more systems introduced that require refined dilithium. Since we are capped on that too, most players will resort to the exchange. Of which, they'll buy zen in order to buy dilithium. - Hence more sales for Cryptic.

If and when they implement that ordnance model mentioned as "a game enhancement" where players have to spend dilthium/energy credits to "resupply" weapon component charges, torpedoes, deuterium, anti-matter, dilithium crystals, food supplies for their ships, raw matter, and a host of other things each day, will be a game ender IMHO. I hope they realize that. But doubt they will.
    What happened to those unique forum ranks I paid for?
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    dalolorn wrote: »
    If you use the "Finish Now" button, yes.

If you use the "Finish now", for a MK 2, you need to learn patience... BADLY..
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • mistressbenihimemistressbenihime Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Well, the dil aside its a nice revamp. Now you can train bound BOs with abilities not from your class. That is indeed something that should have happened a long time ago.

that took the words right out of my mouth. much needed revamp but i am really done whit dil creeping in literally every game system.
    THE NEW CRAFTING SYSTEM IS TERRA-BAD
    First of all it's not even a crafting system! It's just a dumb game system that's nothing more than a glorified slots machine.
    second the "special items" you hope will be the saving the saving grace are messed up to.