test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tribble Maintenance and Release Notes - December 16, 2014

Comments

• sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    [*]Removed Powered/Unpowered Artifacts and Mark XII Consoles from all Duty Officer Packs as these are now obsolete with the new Research and Development system.

Little late to be removing these since the R&D system has been out how long now? I'd assume that your going to be removing the Negotiate delivery of rare commodities/Negotiate additional delivery from the duty officer assignments. Or has that not been taken into consideration?
    Here's a thought. I still have a stack of those alien artifacts; they're not worth using or selling, so I've held on to them in case a new use for them would be found.

Let us convert them into R&D materials via the conversion window used for old mats.

This would at least off set the items used to get these. They could have even used them in the crafting system
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Following on, I would love for the Alien Artifiacts to be added into the conversion. Since originally the alien artifacts would convert into a whole MkXII console, how about if we convert powered alien artifacts into Very Rare Components instead.
    rob2485 wrote: »
    You know I read people whining about leveling beyond 50 takes too long. It actually doesn't, but you have to work a little bit I mean its new levels there is no I want it now. I have 1 toon completely maxed out, which BTW was level 60 within 3 days of DR launch, I did Argala over and over and over until I hit 60. Now I have all specializations done as well which took about 2 weeks. I just finished leveling my second toon to 60 yesterday, and a third is about to be within I would say 4 to 5 days, might be done this weekend not sure yet.

My point is suck it up and grind it til it bleeds. Complaining about the XP won't fix it and I think that may actually make it worse as they have changed the XP gains a few times since DR launch.
    Good Gracious. Respect to your grind. My Main is level 60 and my alts are level 54 from running mirror invasion alone. But I'm nowhere filling out even one specialization.

I'd say the major problem with the leveling is that from 1-50 you're never without a story mission that can advance you to the next level, post level 50 in order to make it to the next story mission you have to do more non-story content to get to the next story mission. And it can be FAR less engaging and entertaining than the very good story missions.

The other side is understanding that Cryptic is basically attempting to keep the top level players from burning through each piece of content that they produce and then complaining on the forums that things are too easy or that there's nothing to do. So they've placed the rewards further away.

I think there's also a desire for them to make a more gradual, long term, and steady progression. They want players to feel that if they put in a long term amount of work into something that they'll get a worthwhile reward, hence the specialization system. You can see that strategic vision first in the R&D system which without expending massive amounts of dilithium would take three months to get any school to the level where the rewards become top tier. Just doing the research projects I finished level 15 in my first schools right before DR dropped.

I'm a casual but regular player. I don't grind to the top as I'll be here so I'll get there. In the meantime I'm a Fleet Admiral with a couple of MKXIV pieces of gear, everything else is MKXII, my ship is a Tier 5-U Assault Cruiser and I have about three quarters of a million in dilithium stockpiled across my characters. I have my fun, make a little progress, and move on (as in I play an hour, two tops everyday and then do something else).

This is a struggle to balance the needs of the many vs the needs of the few. There are many casual players who while attempting to progress to Fleet Admiral saw that it was such a large time investment to further advance that it ceased to be fun. There are god mode players who just don't like anything hard. Then there are the elite guys who don't like anything easy. Then there are the super elite who have already blown through all the queues and all the specializations and still aren't satisfied. All of these people have to be satisfied to a degree while still maintaining this as a profitable venture. Grinding it til it bleeds is one way to get through it, but for a lot of people, grinding makes content boring and painful to play through, less fun, and sours ones view on the content.

Delta Rising has some damn good bones in my view. Nobody is complaining about the actual content. The storyline was great, the Voyager crew voice acting brought it, the Vaadwaur came off as challenging, and the skills we gained were useful against them.

It fell down with the aforementioned leveling, the changes to the queued PvE, the horrendous changes to enemy HP (which is now for the most part corrected), and the numerous game breaking glitches with lag so high some of the patrol missions became nigh unplayable.

I have no personal issues with the introduction of Tier 6 or Tier 5-U ships, but it was a cardinal sin to many.

This winter event started out great, and has some issues with glitches, but I'm still having fun with it. Hopefully the fixes work out, Snorg Invasion repopulates, and business (the business of destroying assimilated frozen water) can continue.

nsj2021 wrote: »
    Just when I think the playerbase of this game could not get any whinier, you go and surprise me. Just disable all weapons and turn the whole damn game into an hugbox/cybersex lounge.
    Isn't that Drozana?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Had a character with a Chell Gret from 2012 already his active ship and transferred him to Tribble and got a pop up right away when I logged in saying I earned the discount. Thanks for the fix and tackling this issue quickly. :)

Your idea of quickly is very different than mine. ;)
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Could you please consider restoring the knockback to "players of the opposite faction"? It added a nice degree of fun for ground PvP during the winter event.

Oh jeez, really ?
    Somebody complained that someone knocked him down with a snowball ?
    This knockdown feature was one of the last fun things left in wonderland. Please don't remove it.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    edited December 2014
    sqwished wrote: »
    Little late to be removing these since the R&D system has been out how long now? I'd assume that your going to be removing the Negotiate delivery of rare commodities/Negotiate additional delivery from the duty officer assignments. Or has that not been taken into consideration?

This would at least off set the items used to get these. They could have even used them in the crafting system

So what happens to my stack of powered alien artifacts I have in inventory (for doff missions) ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• sathidphoenixsathidphoenix Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm kinda surprised that the devs didn't make them into something useful for something else... Change them into a catalyst for R&D or something? I mean then, at least you wouldn't be making the doff missions where you get them obsolete too...

Too bad there's no one on staff that can actually project the consequences of actions taken in game... :(
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    g0del wrote: »
    Cryptic: I do not like the snowball changes. I do not like making unmelting snowballs completely useless. Pulling out an unmelting snowball in June and pasting someone on Risa was fun. You've taken away so many of the things that I enjoy about this game since DR released, please don't take away this as well.

See? That wasn't too hard. Now as long as nobody tries to argue you out of your opinion or tell you that you're being silly, things will go just fine.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    swatop wrote: »
    great and my last post simply was deleted

You posted an off-topic rant. Try it without the ranting and address the changes implemented in this release note. Lots and lots of negative feedback never gets touched by me.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    rob2485 wrote: »
    You know I read people whining about leveling beyond 50 takes too long. It actually doesn't, but you have to work a little bit I mean its new levels there is no I want it now. I have 1 toon completely maxed out, which BTW was level 60 within 3 days of DR launch, I did Argala over and over and over until I hit 60. Now I have all specializations done as well which took about 2 weeks. I just finished leveling my second toon to 60 yesterday, and a third is about to be within I would say 4 to 5 days, might be done this weekend not sure yet.

My point is suck it up and grind it til it bleeds. Complaining about the XP won't fix it and I think that may actually make it worse as they have changed the XP gains a few times since DR launch.

Big deal. :) I reached lv 60 in ca. 1.5 days (allegedly going 17x faster than elsewhere), doing the DS9 mission, sans cheat.

In all seriousness, though, without Argala, leveling would be extremely frustrating. And it really *is* sad that there's currently only 1 system left to run for XP. Any sane person would understand, IMHO, that XP needs to be spread out more evenly across all maps, to keep things fun.

Oh, and there's severe clipping on the collar of my Intel uniform too; when is *that* ever going to be fixed?! (or acknowledged even, for that matter)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    g0del wrote: »
    Cryptic: I do not like the snowball changes. I do not like making unmelting snowballs completely useless. Pulling out an unmelting snowball in June and pasting someone on Risa was fun. You've taken away so many of the things that I enjoy about this game since DR released, please don't take away this as well.

You're being silly. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Could you please consider restoring the knockback to "players of the opposite faction"? It added a nice degree of fun for ground PvP during the winter event.

I don't understand why snowballs had to be nerfed in the first place. They were fun the way they were. :(
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
    edited December 2014
    I don't understand why snowballs had to be nerfed in the first place. They were fun the way they were. :(

This is right up there with that gamebreaking nerve tonic dance- it HAD to be nerfed. I guess we should be glad they didn't make snowballs unique items.
    :mad::mad::mad:
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited December 2014
    Nerfing the snowballs is a good decision devs I support you they should never have been allowed to kd players in the first place

another troll tool down Good job Dev's

Now to work on the cover shield and Yellowstone runabouts

yellowstones arnt really troll tools yet because there so expensive ftp trolls cant afford them

but they could shut down space content if trolls were to use them
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited December 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »
    Nerfing the snowballs is a good decision devs I support you they should never have been allowed to kd players in the first place

another troll tool down Good job Dev's

Now to work on the cover shield and Yellowstone runabouts

yellowstones arnt really troll tools yet because there so expensive ftp trolls cant afford them

2 things:

1. did you know that snowmen do pelt you with snowballs if you run the race during the snowman fight ?

2. Did you know that no player can get hit by snowballs if they're in Q's gazebo ?

Seems the AI snowmen can grief everybody, but somehow the devs missed the obvious solution by blocking snowballs from the track the same way they are blocked in Q's building.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    So what happens to my stack of powered alien artifacts I have in inventory (for doff missions) ?

Considering how worthless they are it wouldn't be a big loss. I have to say though they were prime candidates for the upgrade system and yet Cryptic manage to miss the boat on that as well. I mean may as well get rid of them entirely if they're not worth it any more, and I mean from the game entirely. Unless they do intend to do something with them, which I doubt at this point.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited December 2014
    2 things:

1. did you know that snowmen do pelt you with snowballs if you run the race during the snowman fight ?

2. Did you know that no player can get hit by snowballs if they're in Q's gazebo ?

Seems the AI snowmen can grief everybody, but somehow the devs missed the obvious solution by blocking snowballs from the track the same way they are blocked in Q's building.

its outside WW that I like the most

I can live with the npcs there not a issue....Players trolling others is the issue

I really don't care about the winter event and I don't do it but yes I know you cant be trolled with them in the gazebo
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    You posted an off-topic rant. Try it without the ranting and address the changes implemented in this release note. Lots and lots of negative feedback never gets touched by me.

no, it was not off-topic rant... it was pretty much covering exactly whats been written in the patch notes -> snowballs and the absence of important fixes for meanwhile 9 weeks
    thats not off-topic... thats what this patch notes reflect
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Patch notes up for tomorrow's weekly Holodeck maintenance. http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=21319961#post21319961

The Chell Gret fix isn't going live? t's still listed in the patch notes as a known issue. :(

Edit: Just realized the change to snowballs isn't listed either. :confused:
  • alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »

Wot.

On the snowball knockdown thing I thought that was kind of the point of them for the PvP race? And yeah, it's kind of funny when someone smacks me down on Droz or wherever in the middle of summer with one:

http://i.imgur.com/vP57WZI.jpg
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Wot.

On the snowball knockdown thing I thought that was kind of the point of them for the PvP race? And yeah, it's kind of funny when someone smacks me down on Droz or wherever in the middle of summer with one:

http://i.imgur.com/vP57WZI.jpg

That comic sums up the unmelting snowballs perfectly. Someone throws one at you, you wing your free half-melted one right back at them. Or at someone else to spread the fun. :D

It's pretty obvious Cryptic is in damage control and are desperately trying to appeal to the playerbase by taking care of non-issues like the snowballs rather than attempt to fix the money-making changes that arrived with DR. It's cheaper to remove the forums whine of the week. Show your support for these items that have been in game with no changes for three years and they'll hopefully get the message that removing one of the only non-grinding items is a great way to alienate a larger portion of the playerbase than the one whining about it.
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    grimrak1 wrote: »
    That comic sums up the unmelting snowballs perfectly. Someone throws one at you, you wing your free half-melted one right back at them. Or at someone else to spread the fun. :D

It's pretty obvious Cryptic is in damage control and are desperately trying to appeal to the playerbase by taking care of non-issues like the snowballs rather than attempt to fix the money-making changes that arrived with DR. It's cheaper to remove the forums whine of the week. Show your support for these items that have been in game with no changes for three years and they'll hopefully get the message that removing one of the only non-grinding items is a great way to alienate a larger portion of the playerbase than the one whining about it.

I wonder who genius idea in either development or marketing to half a large portion of the playerbase pissed of with pitchforks. Before the Christmas and New Years Holidays.

I think it's a very bad idea because people will have a week almost of free time. So, I guess people will be given a reason to check out other games.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    (snip)

Known Issues:
    • Numerous uniform clipping issues with .... Female Odyssey uniforms with collars...

Once again. There are not just clipping issues with the Odyssey Female jackets.

The real issue is, that the improvements the art team did on the fit of the Long & Dress Odyssey Jackets were reverted, and the old modelling of the jacket is currently on the live server.

It got reverted to the old model just a week *after* the issues with collars were fixed too. The new fit addressed quite a lot of combadge clipping too, which, as shown on my picture below.

Left picture = fixed, improved version / Right picture = the reverted (old) version

This does not affect the Odyssey regular & Excursion version, those are correctly the new & improved versions.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• demuderdemuder Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    see, give them time and they can fix something.

Screaming at them doesn't help.

What are you talking about, they fixed what ? or the Elachi ship they just introduced ?

Or the inconsequential Winter Event ? (which is getting "fixed" every patch since it began)

Or the bug ridden loadout system ? Remember, they are "fixing" this every patch now as well... Sure, it gets better, until ofc you decide to change something in the loadout or change ships - which is the whole point of getting it fixed. Then you just have to check the loadout every map change since it's still... bugged.

I agree with you though, screaming at them surely doesn't help. We've been screaming for a host of serious bugs for God knows how long (just take a look at the bug subforum) and nothing seems to get through to them.
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    I'm in the same boat. Except I stopped powering mine up shortly after the R&D system went live. Pity though as both Tarastheslayer and myself have said they could have integrated them into the crafting system in some fashion.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• apedilbertapedilbert Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    TBH, STO has a very fast leveling system compared to other games. Here from 1-50, its play a single mission and level up. Other games you have yo play like 5 missions just to get to level 2. And that particular game which is to be unnamed has an endgame at level 100

Don't call me a white knight. I have a huge problem with difficulty on all quenes. I hate elite and I hate advanced.

Besides, remember when mirror invasion was insta-level? Cryptic is giving what our lazy @#$&amp;* deserve.

My signature says it all.

Pre-Delta STO's EXP curve was perfect for leveling alts. One of the main things that originally drew me into the game was how quickly it took to get to max level and start playing with my friends who'd played since launch. RIP classic Mirror.
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I use to enjoy playing with multiple alts. However, they are trying to get people to play on only one character for some reason. Honestly, most of the money I spent in the game (mostly by converting Dil to Zen) has been done because I have alts. If I were forced to focus on a single character all the time like they are trying to do, I would lose interest in playing all together.

I have ADHD, and I get bored very easily. It is pointless to upgrade weapons and gear when you can only use it on one character, unless you only upgrade gear that is account unlocked. But then it is ridiculous to have to move a single build around to each character.

Plus, the leveling requirements to get to the next level make it boring to level.

So, I will not be doing any upgrading till there is a major drop in the overpriced cost. Also, I will not be focusing on the long grind to level up, till they set it to a reasonable level. Instead, I will be getting in the game to have fun, and do the few things they left in the game that are still enjoyable.

If I could find another game that was what STO use to be, and kept growing in that direction, I would be spending most of my online time there. STO has so much potential. Too bad the ones in charge of it can't see that, and are turning it into a money pit.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    rekurzion wrote: »
    Resolved an issue with Loadouts which was slotting items into incorrect slots when transferring to other maps.
    Resolved an issue with Loadouts where moving an item from one slot to another on the same ship or character would create the wrong shadowed item.

Crossing my fingers and hoping. Although it might be time to tear down and redesign this entire mechanic. With each fix I'm experiencing newer and stranger behavior. Yesterday I started noticing the battery consumables I have slotted vanish from existence when moving from space to ground and back to space. Not unslotted or with shadow issues or loaded onto another ship or sent back to my bank but vanish from my account never to be seen from again. It's not worth screaming about as batteries are cheap enough to replace with ease...but if this happens with some of my more "costly" gear and it becomes a much bigger issue.

I have been contemplating buying additional loadout slots but until I can have confidence items won't vanish it makes it difficult.

This is getting ridiculous. I have never encountered the above loadout issue except after the update!!! Granted, I've had other issues but never the one listed as supposedly being fixed until after the patch that was supposed to fix it!?!?! Additionally, since the patch this morning I have now lost, that is completely vanish, a mk xiii UR phaser relay tac console which I spent quite a bit of time upgrading. I noticed the overflow bag now appears in my inventory and I've read posts that mention sometimes items will show up in here but I can't open it. When I click the button nothing happens.

Now I'm worried about other more valuable items being lost. Is there a way to turn this feature completely off? Is there a way to reset my loadouts and start from scratch? This mechanic is severely broken and with each "fix" it appears to get worse and worse.
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Why remove the knockdown effect from the snowballs? That's the whole point of buying them.

Just add a "snowball knockback immunity" to the disco ball negator, since there's 100% overlap between the two crybaby groups.

This made me LOL....it's funny because it's true.

RPers. Hehehe!
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Why remove the knockdown effect from the snowballs? That's the whole point of buying them.

Just add a "snowball knockback immunity" to the disco ball negator, since there's 100% overlap between the two crybaby groups.

I'd support this over the frankly daft changes that are there now. No reason to remove the fun for those that enjoy it when you already have an item that can solve these things.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'd support this over the frankly daft changes that are there now. No reason to remove the fun for those that enjoy it when you already have an item that can solve these things.
    Agreed. I enjoyed throwing the snowballs into some people's faces... Usually friends. :D
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider