test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Another patch...Another NERF...this time Dyson Battlezone?

Comments

• commanderandercommanderander Member Posts: 78 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Thank you for hopping in.

Was anything changed regarding to V-Rexes and/or Dilithium output in general?

A simple "yes" or "no" will suffice.

There has been no changes to the V-Rex and Dilithium output in this patch that I am aware of.

However, the patch that went live on November 6th increased dilithium rewards in the zone. You can see the details here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1287541

and the actually quote:
    Increased Dilithium rewards by 50% in Adventure Zones and Battle Zones.
    For example, if the Dilithium reward for an Adventure Zone mission was 10, it will now be 15.
    Sean "Commander Ander" McCann - Content Designer
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There has been no changes to the V-Rex and Dilithium output in this patch that I am aware of.

However, the patch that went live on November 6th increased dilithium rewards in the zone. You can see the details here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1287541

and the actually quote:

Thank you once more.

I am aware of the latest buff, and I am happy and positively surprised if you resisted the urge to nerf that stuff again.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to clarify the patch notes that I wrote, which seems like they were too vague for what actually happened. I apologize for the notes being unclear, and will make sure in the future something like this does not happen again on my end.

The "points" that were being talked about were the internal points required to get rewards for capture areas (generators, artillery, etc.). The "too generous" portion meant that people could barely participate in the event (i.e. shoot something once) and get full rewards for the entire capture point.

Meanwhile, doing things like healing other players or your BOFFs in combat did very little to earn you points towards getting the rewards for the capture points, hence the whole "too penalizing portion"

The goal with these changes was to bring these two factors back into balance.

I'm sorry that the patch notes caused confusion regarding what was actually done, but hopefully this helps explain what happened and our logic behind it.

If you all are seeing that you're fully participating in an event and not getting properly rewarded, please post the details of what happened and what you were doing, along with screenshots (if possible), and we will look into it.

As well, if anything about this post is unclear, please feel free to call it out and I'll do my best to clarify things.

Nice to actually get some clarification on that. Given some of the recent changes, it was easy to assume this change meant more penalisation to rewards rather than preventing people who stand around in an area doing nothing getting full rewards. I actually welcome this change, because I really dislike the 'tag and run' crowd...
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Can anyone compare the rewards of this recent adjustment? I just did the space one and got these numbers:

Dyson Sphere Space, Finishing 3 Planet Killers Reward
    [ItemReceived] Items acquired: Isomorphic Injection x 3
    [NumericReceived] You received 1,080 Dilithium Ore
    [NumericReceived] You received 35 Undine Marks

Dyson Sphere Space, Each Planet Killer Reward
    [NumericReceived] You received 90 Dilithium Ore
    [NumericReceived] You received 10 Undine Marks

The 3x II is great, but 90 Dilithium? 1080 Dilithium?
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • kaarruukaarruu Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If I understood commanderander's posts correctly (and those posts are appreciated), the only changes in the Dyson BZ were made to how rewards for capture point participation are calculated.

So, the leeches can still park AFK at a silo, have their away team take some shots at the V-Rex and collect Voth 'plants along with the minimum dilithium reward without doing anything helpful.

Two things need to happen for the Dyson BZ to reward effort rather than freeloading:

* Change the way command credits are distributed. Dropping them on the ground makes no sense and any passer-by can scoop up the stuff without having helped at all.

* Set a minimum requirement in points captured for a player to be eligible for the zone-wide completion reward (implants and dil). This won't hurt normal players, but will complicate things for botters and AFK farmers.
  • mindshadow999mindshadow999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to clarify the patch notes that I wrote <snip>

Thanks for the clarification, that makes a lot more sense now.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Can anyone compare the rewards of this recent adjustment? I just did the space one and got these numbers:

I don't remember the exact numbers anymore, but I am pretty sure that the rewards for the Space Battle Zone were always oddly weak compared to the Ground Battle Zone. I mean, those V-Rexes really pay out, but the Undine Planet Killers do not.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't remember the exact numbers anymore, but I am pretty sure that the rewards for the Space Battle Zone were always oddly weak compared to the Ground Battle Zone. I mean, those V-Rexes really pay out, but the Undine Planet Killers do not.

Yeah, always kind of found that myself, that the Voth Ground Battle Zone is really generous with dil and marks, while the space zone is somewhat less so. Maybe it just feels that way with the big open spaces.
    edited December 2014

Those rewards are unchanged. This change was to the ground battlezone. You get 90 dil for each 'zone' in the space one, planet killers count as a zone individually. The final reward increases (marks and dilithium) based on how many zones you helped secure, 4 or more usually gets you around 70 marks and I can't remember how much dilithium off the top of my head but it's more than that.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Paying players will keep paying, free to players are the ones who keep leaving.
    download.jpg
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited December 2014
  • raeatraeat Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    How many points am I going to have to help capture until I actually get credit for them? The damned objective says, and I quote "capture two points in the city."I have now helped capture 3 points (stayed to completion for two and actually captured the third entirely alone) and only got credit for one.

If I have to do the whole damn thing alone, is there some mechanism for making sure no other players participate or help in any way? This is beyond absurd! Congratulations, Cr(y)ptic. You have now given me one less reason to actually cap points. Way to promote social play.
  • riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Open noncritical missions are crappy tasks like save the trappe officer, cover the researcher, override a swarmer. Dino stages are critical, and zone-wide.
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    raeat wrote: »
    How many points am I going to have to help capture until I actually get credit for them? The damned objective says, and I quote "capture two points in the city."I have now helped capture 3 points (stayed to completion for two and actually captured the third entirely alone) and only got credit for one.

If I have to do the whole damn thing alone, is there some mechanism for making sure no other players participate or help in any way? This is beyond absurd! Congratulations, Cr(y)ptic. You have now given me one less reason to actually cap points. Way to promote social play.

This is what I was afraid of. If it counts interactive objects and things like that the most then people will be scrambling to do them first and others will be screwed out of getting 5 zone caps before the dinos spawn.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to clarify the patch notes that I wrote, which seems like they were too vague for what actually happened. I apologize for the notes being unclear, and will make sure in the future something like this does not happen again on my end.

The "points" that were being talked about were the internal points required to get rewards for capture areas (generators, artillery, etc.). The "too generous" portion meant that people could barely participate in the event (i.e. shoot something once) and get full rewards for the entire capture point.

Meanwhile, doing things like healing other players or your BOFFs in combat did very little to earn you points towards getting the rewards for the capture points, hence the whole "too penalizing portion"

The goal with these changes was to bring these two factors back into balance.

I'm sorry that the patch notes caused confusion regarding what was actually done, but hopefully this helps explain what happened and our logic behind it.

If you all are seeing that you're fully participating in an event and not getting properly rewarded, please post the details of what happened and what you were doing, along with screenshots (if possible), and we will look into it.

As well, if anything about this post is unclear, please feel free to call it out and I'll do my best to clarify things.

Hi, new dev?

Well, not new exactly, but thank you for the stand-up way in which you replied to this and for the understanding you showed regarding the confusion from the patch notes. It is not easy to admit that in a tough crowd, so I want you to know it was noticed.

As far as my feedback on the Dyson Battlezone, I think it's a delicate balance. IMO because of the extreme dilithium demands imposed by other parts of the game (and I do mean extreme), rewards like we see on the V-Rexes are critical to make the game even remotely livable. I agree with you that encouraging better participation in taking control of points is a good thing. It is important to do that without diminishing player abilities to get the rewards from the V-Rexes, though.

I don't know about anyone else...but I suppose I could be classified as a "tagger" for what I do (or try to do if I don't get embarrassingly lost on the map) for what I do at the end of an instance, but I have found I enjoy it much better if I do NOT instance-hop, and I really help take control of points in order to get to those V-Rexes. It is *boring* to me to do the same exact thing over and over with no variety of tasks.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited December 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    Hi, new dev?

Well, not new exactly,

Not even remotely new, he's been here for two years. :P
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Dino fight has been nerfed. If you tag and don't hit the new whatever that point criteria is you only get 5 dil for the dino tag and no marks for that dino.
    edited December 2014
    Dino fight has been nerfed. If you tag and don't hit the new whatever that point criteria is you only get 5 dil for the dino tag and no marks for that dino.

What? You can't tag anymore? That makes it near impossible to get the full reward. You can't spend any length of time on the first two dinos or you risk the other one dying before you get there and missing the full reward.

How are we supposed to get the full reward from all three dinos?

This is no good. Dyson ground reward nerf was always my signal to quit the game.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    What? You can't tag anymore? That makes it near impossible to get the full reward. You can't spend any length of time on the first two dinos or you risk the other one dying before you get there and missing the full reward.

This is no good. Dyson ground reward nerf was always my signal to quit the game.

you can tag but you have to do more than shoot once or twice to earn the reward from that dino. Which can mean still missing out on all the rewards as you;ve taken too long in one zone to get to the next.
    edited December 2014

If gotta test this tomorrow.
    If this is indeed true, that is one of my "I quit" scenarios. I dragged that moment out for long enough.
    you can tag but you have to do more than shoot once or twice to earn the reward from that dino. Which can mean still missing out on all the rewards as you;ve taken too long in one zone to get to the next.

So, more like Undine Space BZ? It's doable there, because you can get from Planet Killer to Planet Killer quite fast.
    Dunno if it will be possible on the ground.

There is a frickin' accolade for tagging all three dinos, for Gods sake.
    "Very Smart".
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited December 2014

The reason you could not get the reward for killing all 3 properly was the turds tagging and leaving the job to actually kill the dinos to real players. They did the dirty work and got screwed out of the reward for killing all 3 by the taggers.
    edited December 2014
    atlmykl wrote: »
    The reason you could not get the reward for killing all 3 properly was the turds tagging and leaving the job to actually kill the dinos to real players. They did the dirty work and got screwed out of the reward for killing all 3 by the taggers.

Wait... it is a bad thing to "tag" the dinosaurs, as in... run there, shoot it, shoot the medics (if there are any), and go to the next one?
    Of course you fight the third one to the death, or you return to a zone with low Omega Levels to secure the reward for everyone.

Depends on the situation.

But that doesn't mean "tagging" all three is a bad thing per se. I honestly thought that's how to play it. Since... you know... everyone I know of and I see is doing it that way.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited December 2014
    atlmykl wrote: »

Not at all. It was rare that I missed the full reward. Taggers kill the third dino and since everyone tags in a different order all three dinos are killed. You have to remember that taggers do kill dinos, just not the first or second one they tag.

By needing to stay at a dino you potentially miss out on tagging one or even both of the others. You often have no time to spare when tagging - if you don't move fast a dino might be killed before you get to it and there goes the full reward you worked for by capping zones.
  • sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If gotta test this tomorrow.
    If this is indeed true, that is one of my "I quit" scenarios. I dragged that moment out for long enough.

So, more like Undine Space BZ? It's doable there, because you can get from Planet Killer to Planet Killer quite fast.
    Dunno if it will be possible on the ground.

"Very Smart".

I'm not sure if it's possible with current players ground power level, but it was definitely doable at launch of the dino-zone. I got it by dumb luck without particularly trying (without any apparent zone-wide coordination).

It is definitely more difficult than Undine Space BZ though.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The difference with the Undine BZ is that in my observation, it takes the concentrated firepower of everyone in there on each PK simultaneously. Splitting up doesn't seem to do well. Given the navigational issues on the map, perhaps a slight increase on the Voth BZ would help to compensate for this move.

That would be my recommendation to ensure you have to pitch in more on each V-Rex, but but still have a shot at all of them. Though I haven't tried the BZ yet post patch, might 1 to 2 minutes added to the timer be of assistance?

(Note: Due to my awful navigational abilities I have never been able to tag all three dinos without a teammate to follow and have even come close to losing out in those cases because of getting lost. For me the Undine BZ is the better bet because I can't TRIBBLE up flying in a straight line. Well...there IS getting temporarily stuck in the invisible ceiling if I try to fly at too high of an altitude... :rolleyes: )

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited December 2014
    Not at all. It was rare that I missed the full reward. Taggers kill the third dino and since everyone tags in a different order all three dinos are killed. You have to remember that taggers do kill dinos, just not the first or second one they tag.

By needing to stay at a dino you potentially miss out on tagging one or even both of the others. You often have no time to spare when tagging - if you don't move fast a dino might be killed before you get to it and there goes the full reward you worked for by capping zones.

See the thing is, much like the space battle zone, the dinos only count as 'one point'. So you don't need to tag all three to get the best reward. If you capture eight points and kill one dino you'll still get a better completion reward than a person who tags two dinos and kills one but hasn't done anything else. Because that person is only getting the final reward for three zones, not for all nine (because the dino is also a 'point') or more that the person who actually helped get the area to the boss fight captured.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    "Very Smart".
    Actually, you can get that without tagging. you just need to do more than one run.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    See the thing is, much like the space battle zone, the dinos only count as 'one point'. So you don't need to tag all three to get the best reward. If you capture eight points and kill one dino you'll still get a better completion reward than a person who tags two dinos and kills one but hasn't done anything else. Because that person is only getting the final reward for three zones, not for all nine (because the dino is also a 'point') or more that the person who actually helped get the area to the boss fight captured.
    So tagging is no longer "neccessary", instead you just do the zone, capture a few points and maybe focus one dino?

Is the number of Voth Implants still dependent on the number of V-Rexes killed?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited December 2014
    Actually, you can get that without tagging. you just need to do more than one run.

Excatly, you don't even need to kill all three dinos on the same day to get that accolade. It's just a completionist accolade and when you kill a dino it crosses it off the list.
    Is the number of Voth Implants still dependent on the number of V-Rexes killed?

Well I only killed one dino in my last run, but I'd aided in taking all of the points in Park and I got 3 implants. All three dinos did get taken down, but I didn't tag any of them other than the one in Park that I was already at. As usual most other people tagged and ran so it ended up just being me and one other guy there for most of it holding back the medics, then everyone came back once the other two were dead.
    edited December 2014
    Excatly, you don't even need to kill all three dinos on the same day to get that accolade. It's just a completionist accolade and when you kill a dino it crosses it off the list.

Well I only killed one dino in my last run, but I'd aided in taking all of the points in Park and I got 3 implants. All three dinos did get taken down, but I didn't tag any of them other than the one in Park that I was already at. As usual most other people tagged and ran so it ended up just being me and one other guy there for most of it holding back the medics, then everyone came back once the other two were dead.

And how much dilithium did you get for just one dino? If it's less than 3k you didn't get the full reward. 3 implants I think is only the partial reward which is just over 1600 dilithium. To me it's not worth capping all those zones just for a partial reward.

I've never kept track of how many zones I've captured past 5 so it's possible that 8 zones total is what's needed for the full reward. For me it's always been 5 zones + 3 dinos. Maybe it's possible that 7 zones + 1 dino is the same. So far though anything less than 3 dinos is a partial reward.
This discussion has been closed.