test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Another patch...Another NERF...this time Dyson Battlezone?

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The Dyson change is typical fashion.

It's intentionally written in a way that's not entirely clear to leave you wondering if it's a nerf or not.

It is a Nerf.. It's always a Nerf.

Sadly, even when they say it's not, you can't believe it. Their 'metrics' showed that there were a lot of people enjoying the Battlezone, so our fantastic 'Lead Content Designer' decided it was time to nerf it.

If they spent half as much time actually trying to fix the game as they do 'analyzing metrics' to find ways to kill the fun, this game would be pretty sweet.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Tip, Try not to fill EVERY! one from T1 onwards skip some points in lower trees I have opened up T4 already and thats from only unlocking what i need to to get that open, I can Train certain things already.

Im not being sarky with the whole Year thing, Yes! its annoying but hardly life or death its a game! not real life, enjoy it, take your time and aim for a goal not think man i WANT! it knowwwww as you cant have that in real life let alone a game lol. :)

You need to fill every spot on the Intel specialization tree to be able to train your intel boffs in all the advanced skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Dino Tagging is ANNOYING! but ONLY! if you sit at Dino central (Omega Silos) and wait then play tag the V Rex.

I! tag the Dinos too BUT!!!!!!!!! I HELP capture 1 - 2 whole zones b4 I do!

ABSOLUTELY! I take a few potshots at the T rexes but always help with the 3rd (and yes, I go after the healers) but always, ALWAYS help secure the points leading up to the Rexes. Anything less than that isn't just lazy, it's BORING.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    I love how all you focused on was the 'too generous' part. I bet you didn't even read the part about the 'too penalizing' for critical missions. They reduced the rewards for one are, and made it easier to get thus same rewards in a tougher area. Its a trade off, and it actually seems to make sense.

because it doesn't really say anything. What are they talking about? I'm assuming "points" refers to how many points are needed to get the full reward for tagging all three dinos but of course I could be completely wrong. And what are considered critical and non-critical tasks?

Personally I never did any of those side missions or anything. Never worth the time. I just capped 5 zones then tagged all three dinos for max award. Less than 5 zones is half the reward and more than 5 is OK but sometimes actually difficult to get.

I'm reserving judgement until I hear details but I know one thing: nerfing dyson ground is the last straw for me and I've been saying it for months now. If this turns out to be a nerf I'm gone, but right now there's actually a chance it winds up a buff for me depending on what critical and non-critical tasks are.

Oh, the game will also implode if it's a nerf. People are already jaded and quitting. If they make the terrible decision to nerf dyson ground they're sealing this game's fate.
  • Options
    captcokecancaptcokecan Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    js26568 wrote: »
    You need to fill every spot on the Intel specialization tree to be able to train your intel boffs in all the advanced skills.

Not quite true, you need to have spent 22 skill points in the Intel tree to be able to train Rank 3 Intel abilities.
    Hey I just vaped you, and this is crazy;
    But here's my frequency, so hail me maybe?
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    valenn1 wrote: »
    Sorry, but you must have been in coldsleep and missed the last few weeks/Nerfs.

No. I remember. Trust me. I hear the crying of forumgoers in my sleep.

And in related news. I have been up for almost 24 hours.

For the past nerfs people when and got data for me to look over. Right now. NO ONE KNOWS what is going with the dyson zone right now. Until someone, dev or player writes something up. Or I see for myself this thread. Like COUNTLESS OTHERS is somewhat pointless.

*walks to the nearest coffee nebula to drown in*
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong - I've always seen the dino-tagging as an exploit, but given that there is an in-game accolade for doing it, it must be wokring as intended, no?

Very Clever is not for dino-tagging. You can, and I know because I have, get it for taking down 1 of the 3 in 3 different instances of the zone. You do currently have to tag all 3 in an instance to get the full reward that you already earned by participating in at least 5 area flips, though.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You'd think they would have learnt their lesson about communicating changes to exp and dilithium earnings.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    anodynes wrote: »
    Very Clever is not for dino-tagging. You can, and I know because I have, get it for taking down 1 of the 3 in 3 different instances of the zone. You do currently have to tag all 3 in an instance to get the full reward that you already earned by participating in at least 5 area flips, though.

Interesting.... I ONLY got that accolade upon tagging all three... after many runs where I flipped/help flip quite a few zones, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Interesting.... I ONLY got that accolade upon tagging all three... after many runs where I flipped/help flip quite a few zones, too.

They may have changed it at some point. I was somewhat of a late adopter of the BZ. When I finally did do it, though, that was my experience, getting the accolade on some of my characters who had not tagged all 3 in a single endgame of the zone, but had tagged all 3 in different ones.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,648 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    js26568 wrote: »
    I'm expecting this to reduce the payout of the individual areas you have to beat in the battle zones, rather than V.Rex slaying.

I'm probably wrong though and it's a stealth dilithium nerf.

actually I think it's the opposite. if you tag and run from the rexes to get all three then you won't get all the reward from that zone. something rather approve of.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    WOW...some people in Tribble where already talking about this:

Dyson Sphere Battle Zone: Re-balanced how player's scores are calculated for open missions.
    Previously, missions were being too generous with points for tasks that were not critical to missions and too penalizing on tasks that were critical for missions.

Guess so much for Generosity.

I seen it. The only thing they are good at is nerfing. I don't mind the Dyson but I never play it anymore. So, it's not hurting me. There isn't any incentive to play it especially once this patch goes live.
  • Options
    mindshadow999mindshadow999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Dyson Sphere Battle Zone: Re-balanced how player's scores are calculated for open missions.
    Previously, missions were being too generous with points for tasks that were not critical to missions and too penalizing on tasks that were critical for missions.

Wait, the zone that gives different levels of rewards at the capture points is the Undine Space Battle Zone, not the Voth Ground Battle Zone. The Voth Ground zone gives a flat reward, you either get it, or you don't. There's nothing to score.

Or are they talking about the Voth Space Battle Zone, which nobody does any more? All three of those could be considered 'Dyson Sphere Battle Zone'.

1) This is a very opaque patch note.
    2) I'm going to lol if after all the usual talk about "Rex tagging" it turns out that this note didn't apply to the ground zone at all.
  • Options
    kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's like anyone sees the word "reduction" or "adjustment" and no matter freakin what they flip out at a nerfing. You don't even know what it is exactly that's being adjusted, but you saw a bad word and don't like it? lol
    Come on guys, take it easy with the knee jerk reactions.

Those knee jerk reactions are coming from prior experience. Cryptic is too quick to take away and not even half as quick in giving back. Not to mention when the player base gets called cheaters and thieves by devs, not going to be a real positive community.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • Options
    redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    - Dino-tagging is the only REAL way to earn dil these days. It's part of my dil run... I'd hate to see that go. Especially since they have an in-game accolade for actually doing it...

Help me out? What do you mean by "dino-tagging"?
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    redheadguy wrote: »
    Help me out? What do you mean by "dino-tagging"?

As you know, when all of the areas have been re=captured from the Voth the three Omega silos open, each with a massive T REX. The goal is to destroy all three… but if you stand and watch each one fall, you’ll get MAYBE 2, def not all three. So you “tag” them…

When the alert is up, go to the park, attack the T rex, help out on some of the Medics, then run to the outskirts where you do it again… then run to the City where you stay and help defeat the final Rex. As each one falls you get credit for your part in it. If you helped bring down all three you get a nice lil 5000 dil bonus as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Basically same as Undine space but with a dil bonus attached for all three.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I read that as they are going to slash points for the side tasks, like aiding researchers and recovering damaged Swarmers. On flip-side, they are going to give a score boost to mission critical stuff, which I assume means TRIBBLE you do to capture points/secure silos.

It is a little vague on the details. So, this is only a guess.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Didn't they just boost the dilithium reward in the battlezone. I don't see the need to cry nerf without seeing what happened.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, and they're adding more marks and will be giving away those rep-specific items for projects in the rep zones soon.

Everyone needs to READ the patch notes. Some rewards are going up, others are going down. It's a rebalance, partially-up and partially-down, not a nerf.

I hope a mod closes this thread because it's been created as nothing but a doom thread that ignores the actual wording of the patch notes.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ...I wonder if they'll nerf winter wonderland too as I'll be there and not in the Argala, sorry, delta quadrant?
  • Options
    cannydogcannydog Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    But ... it was too penalizing for critical tasks ...

So, certain tasks became more generous than before.

This is bad?

The key question is: What Tasks are "Critical"? I'll bet very few... That's how Cryptic rolls. :mad:
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Everyone needs to READ the patch notes. Some rewards are going up, others are going down. It's a rebalance, partially-up and partially-down, not a nerf.

Funny. You almost sound like you believe that.

I know how Cryptic "rebalances" things.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Funny. You almost sound like you believe that.

I know how Cryptic "rebalances" things.

I have a sneaking suspicion that part of what they are doing is penalizing the taggers who dont actually do any work and more heavily rewarding those who do the work for the taggers. There are a few other things that seemed off like when you take control of the teleporters etc

but people only read what they went to read they read the first half of the sentance and ignored the second half to further their shall we say selective agenda of "nerfs" most stuff is a rebalance but I am wondering if they aren't making it so that those who stick around to actually you know take control of a point for the entire time are rewarded more then those who just breeze through and dont actually do anything in an effort to farm the entire map without shooting a single mob.

I have to see though I will play it tonight but this is my secret hope your rewarded for you know your effort as apposed to just logging in running around through each zone and sitting afk in a corner.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014

Geko is all stick and no carrot with this release. Then he wonders why the player numbers are falling like a stone.

http://steamcharts.com/app/9900#All
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Geko is all stick and no carrot with this release. Then he wonders why the player numbers are falling like a stone.

http://steamcharts.com/app/9900#All

As much as I believe they are in trouble... I mean I'm gone myself.

Your chart shows an increase verses Nov last year... just saying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    commanderandercommanderander Member Posts: 78 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2014
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to clarify the patch notes that I wrote, which seems like they were too vague for what actually happened. I apologize for the notes being unclear, and will make sure in the future something like this does not happen again on my end.

The "points" that were being talked about were the internal points required to get rewards for capture areas (generators, artillery, etc.). The "too generous" portion meant that people could barely participate in the event (i.e. shoot something once) and get full rewards for the entire capture point.

Meanwhile, doing things like healing other players or your BOFFs in combat did very little to earn you points towards getting the rewards for the capture points, hence the whole "too penalizing portion"

The goal with these changes was to bring these two factors back into balance.

I'm sorry that the patch notes caused confusion regarding what was actually done, but hopefully this helps explain what happened and our logic behind it.

If you all are seeing that you're fully participating in an event and not getting properly rewarded, please post the details of what happened and what you were doing, along with screenshots (if possible), and we will look into it.

As well, if anything about this post is unclear, please feel free to call it out and I'll do my best to clarify things.
    Sean "Commander Ander" McCann - Content Designer
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    As much as I believe they are in trouble... I mean I'm gone myself.

Your chart shows an increase verses Nov last year... just saying.

Not for me.

Lowest number in November 2013 I can find is 3193 on November 25th.
    Lowest number 2014: 2443 December 1st.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hi everyone,

The "points" that were being talked about were the internal points required to get rewards for capture areas (generators, artillery, etc.). The "too generous" portion meant that people could barely participate in the event (i.e. shoot something once) and get full rewards for the entire capture point.

Meanwhile, doing things like healing other players or your BOFFs in combat did very little to earn you points towards getting the rewards for the capture points, hence the whole "too penalizing portion"

Yes thanks this type of adjustment was much needed now those afk botters and taggers who shoot the thing and move one will have to participate and not leave a few of us determined people to solo the point and give them their reward

thank you!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to clarify the patch notes that I wrote, which seems like they were too vague for what actually happened. I apologize for the notes being unclear, and will make sure in the future something like this does not happen again on my end.

The goal with these changes was to bring these two factors back into balance.

I'm sorry that the patch notes caused confusion regarding what was actually done, but hopefully this helps explain what happened and our logic behind it.

If you all are seeing that you're fully participating in an event and not getting properly rewarded, please post the details of what happened and what you were doing, along with screenshots (if possible), and we will look into it.

As well, if anything about this post is unclear, please feel free to call it out and I'll do my best to clarify things.

Thank you for hopping in.

Was anything changed regarding to V-Rexes and/or Dilithium output in general?

A simple "yes" or "no" will suffice.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
This discussion has been closed.