What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Daily mark box nerf.

Comments

• Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Death by a thousand cuts. The only people more cunning and daring than players methodically searching for exploits is Cryptic looking, at the sub-atomic level, to squeeze every possible benefit out of the game. It's really a thing to behold.
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It had become Cryptics SoP they mess up we get punished. The boxes are only in the game because of them and it is not suprising people may have saved some up considering the poor availability of Delta marks, 5 per box really. They seem to be intentionally trying to kill this game off.

They seem to admit in a podcast that the game isn't that fun anymore and that it is their fault and then go and do this.
  • Options
    longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited November 2014
    It just seems petty-minded.

I didn't save up boxes and I doubt too many did it with too many boxes.

There are so many issues and bugs to iron out. But they rather focus on THIS, just spitting people in the soup. Nothing better to do?

Also begets the question why the Delta Boxes just don't auto open like the others to begin with!

Even though I already got explained that the Unimatrix Shield I called fugly is actually an ablative armor look, I cannot resist to point out that we are back to the times of shoddy quality:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=20880231#post20880231

http://s14.directupload.net/images/141125/plif5bsh.jpg
    http://s14.directupload.net/images/141125/mc47rrh8.jpg

Different department, I know. Wish they would allocate more time and manpower there than focusing on pissing off people on small scale.

People or rather bots would be able to extract a little Dilithium out of the bonus marks gained this way. With prices going ever higher and gains getting ever lower they are rather driving people away than making them spend ZEN for Dil.
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    nikephorus wrote: »
    D'Angelo said when he took over that he wanted to slow the game down and make it more grindy. He's succeeding.

Never mind slowing down at this pace the game will have stalled by Christmas.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ahhhh, another week, another nerf. At least you say this, Crypric are reliable.
  • Options
    zendiummzendiumm Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Next nerf wil be timegated logins, since game progression is too fast.

Casuals get 3 hours, Elite players gets 2 since they gain a little XP faster than the casuals.

Oh, you at work durring your timeslot? Too bad for you, find another game.

Atm. I'm only doing my crafting dailys and doff missions, I'l do the winter grind but no actual playing/upgrading until this TRIBBLE mess they force down our throats has been fixed.

I'm lvl 60 on 1 char and stopped doing the DR missions at lvl 56 since I dont care for those borring patrol missions they call new content standard. Infact the mission is still in my log since i did 2 of the 4 patrols and got borred :(

The old standard they removed with the nebulas was way better, since it wassen't the same TRIBBLE aliens over and over.

My 5 alts are 57-58 don't know why i level them up anymore, the doff grind is just click and wait borring.

The MI event helped getting forward.

I have horded mark boxes, damn that nerf is nasty to do just before the comming mark event, why the hell not inform us that this weekend will be the last box-a-thon, enjoy, so box yer heart out :mad:
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Makes it even more annoying after Cryptic nerfed Reputation T5 Dil Rewards from not getting boosted by Dil Weekend Events. They used to, but Cryptic decided no more.

When it was nerfed?
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You will play ze game az we zay and YOU WILL LIKE IT !! :mad:

... hail Cryptic ! :eek:
  • Options
    mycroft1701mycroft1701 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    alexvio1 wrote: »
    When it was nerfed?

Would like to know this too - the bonus dil was working for rep projects during the last dil weekend immediately before DR launched
  • Options
    sp74656sp74656 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Seriously?! :confused:

And I even bought more bank space so I could store all my mark boxes in anticipation of the bonus weekend. Wow. Can I have my 300 zen back? You know what, keep it. You'll probably need it when no one is left playing this game after you nerf it to oblivion.

Oh I'm sorry, you actually have a life and have something on this weekend? Oh well, guess you miss out cause you aren't playing when we say you should for any bonus on offer.

Well how about you nerf some bugs and put some fun back into the game? You remember what that is right?

Oxford dictionary 24th century edition defines fun as enjoyment, amusement, or light-hearted pleasure in case you have forgotten.

-sigh-
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    They made the change for the dilithium with the recent mirror event. No more hoarding. So now they are applying it to marks. I'm not sure about rep tier 5 for marks and dil, but I'd assume that's over also.

Honestly, this one doesn't bother me. I doubt it was ever intended to hoard in this way.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm confused ... not even Bonus Marks for earning Daily Boxes, during the Bonus Weekend (how about removing/fixing these Boxes instead, too much work I guess) ... what's the Bonus Weekend then ? ... 6 instead of 5 marks during Kobali Ground Zone Missions ... hoooray ... seriously, just get rid of the whole Weekend then ...

PS : Punishing Hoarders while TRIBBLE everyone else ... congrats Cryptic, you did it again ... why not remove the marks afterwards, calling everyone exploiters ...

PPS : Wasn't the "Daily Bonus" something they introduced to compensate for the Marks Nerf (i.E. 90-110 during Borg STFs) in the first place ... now it's something "evil" you can't use during Bonus Weekend -> hilarious ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Call me crazy but I don't see this as the huge nerf some of you do. It amounts to the loss of one advanced bug hunt run (if you're only considering delta marks). The daily box is 55 marks which would have given an extra 27or 28 marks during the weekend. An advanced box is usually 25, sometimes a bit more or a bit less but not by much. It takes 10-15 minutes to run it. I saved multiple daily boxes on all my characters for this weekend but it's no big deal that they won't get the bonus. I also saved regular boxes and a few 250 choice boxes which will get it.

What does bother me is the precedent this sets. What's next?
  • Options
    noshufflenoshuffle Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Call me crazy but I don't see this as the huge nerf some of you do. It amounts to the loss of one advanced bug hunt run (if you're only considering delta marks). The daily box is 55 marks which would have given an extra 27or 28 marks during the weekend. An advanced box is usually 25, sometimes a bit more or a bit less but not by much. It takes 10-15 minutes to run it. I saved multiple daily boxes on all my characters for this weekend but it's no big deal that they won't get the bonus. I also saved regular boxes and a few 250 choice boxes which will get it.

That's not the issue, it's the continious nerfing of the game. It's like that I have just bought a Bentley and each weak I have to return that car back to the shop so the manufacturer can remove one piece of it, while I have paid for the whole lot.
    OK, if I have to stay here for a while, your cieling ... looks idious.:D
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014

PS : Punishing Hoarders while TRIBBLE everyone else ... congrats Cryptic, you did it again ... why not remove the marks afterwards, calling everyone exploiters ...

Yeah I think this is exactly what is going on. It's also looking ahead to eppohs. You won't be able to save 20 boxes for the next mark event I'm sure. I wouldn't count on those 250 boxes working either this time.

I can probably guess what's coming next but I will keep mum in case I'm wrong :). They got my doffing so I'm sure they'll be coming for this next.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    edited November 2014

It's not a huge nerf in itself but if you look at the bigger picture :

- Weekend Events (every 3-6 months) instead of Hourlies (I was under the impression Weekend Events were supposed to be a huge "thing" , instead of Hourlies ... so what's the big deal ... 100-200 Bonus Marks for waiting 6 months -> not worth it ...

- Marks Nerf ~2 years ago while compensating with the Daily Bonus ... sometime ago 100 Marks per run was normal, without "Daily Bonus" so what's the problem with it, during Bonus Weekend ...

- TRIBBLE Everyone, while being paranoid about Hoarders ... I was under the impression, everything was supposed to reward more Marks during Bonus Mark Weekend, not just stuff Cryptic thinks is "right" & can't be "exploited" ...

PS : I guess the frog won't notice that it's cooked to death ... if it's just slowly heated ... ;)
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,973 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    They made the change for the dilithium with the recent mirror event. No more hoarding. So now they are applying it to marks. I'm not sure about rep tier 5 for marks and dil, but I'd assume that's over also.

Honestly, this one doesn't bother me. I doubt it was ever intended to hoard in this way.

Actually, its not even a matter of no more hoarding. Just hoard STANDARD reward boxes. The "nerf" (I'm starting to read this term in the voice of Pinky from Pinky and the Brain. There's less and less stock to take from these arguments) only applies to DAILY boxes, which does make some sense if you consider where the event is now putting the greatest emphasis (high value PVE's and zones rather than short, solo assignments that still qualify for the daily.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    All like to sing along to the new Cryptic corporate song:

Hi-hooooooo
    Hi-hooooooo
    Hi ho, hi ho
    It's off to nerf I go,
    With a nerf nerf here
    And a nerf nerf there
    Hi ho, hi ho, hi ho, hi ho

And repeat ad infinitium!

All silliness aside this is getting stupid, it really is looking like the devs are trying there hardest to drive the players away from the game, to what end? Put themselves out of business? Dumb just dumb!
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    - TRIBBLE Everyone, while being paranoid about Hoarders ... I was under the impression, everything was supposed to reward more Marks during Bonus Mark Weekend, not just stuff Cryptic thinks is "right" & can't be "exploited" ...

Its rather funny that the developer actively maintaining their game and its systems now counts as "a bad thing". Prior the playstyle most encouraged by the weekend event was the minimalist "daily hunter." Now players (in order to make the most of the weekend) have to actively engaged in more social activities (ex. Voth Battlezone). And that's without any heavy handed action to prevent people, if they still just want to grab the daily box, from just doing one of the adventure zone repeatables instead of any more elaborate activity. That behavior is simply no longer most encouraged by this special event.

In short, this change is JUST a rebalance to change the event's emphasis so that it encourages player behavior more condusive to the MMO format. Its natural for a DEVELOPER to make it.

This tripe is the fullest possible expression of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Now even just the action, regardless of context, counts against them (which suggest that its not the game which has degraded but rather the level of discourse people approach it with. Even for mobs, this is weak behavior.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Its rather funny that the developer actively maintaining their game and its systems now counts as "a bad thing". Prior the playstyle most encouraged by the weekend event was the minimalist "daily hunter." Now players (in order to make the most of the weekend) have to actively engaged in more social activities (ex. Voth Battlezone). And that's without any heavy handed action to prevent people, if they still just want to grab the daily box, from just doing one of the adventure zone repeatables instead of any more elaborate activity. That behavior is simply no longer most encouraged by this special event.

In short, this change is JUST a rebalance to change the event's emphasis so that it encourages player behavior more condusive to the MMO format. Its natural for a DEVELOPER to make it.

This tripe is the fullest possible expression of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Now even just the action, regardless of context, counts against them.

I guess, you missed the part, where they could have just "fixed" the Daily Bonus instead of TRIBBLE everyone ...

... hate to break it to you but nobody is gonna play the whole weekend, for ~100-200 Bonus Marks (after waiting 6 months for the event) either ... that's not "rewarding" ... just do 3-5 Dailys (within the next 6 months) outside the Weekend Event instead ... => Bonus Marks Event, completely worthless ...
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I guess, you missed the part where they could have just "fixed" the Daily Bonus instead of TRIBBLE everyone ...

Fixed how? Remove it? Reduce it? That's going to TRIBBLE another set of everyone if "TRIBBLE" can indeed be applied to ANY situation where rewards are reduced in some concievable way.

Think first, post second. You don't want cryptic to do anything here. You don't want them to take away gameplay interactions which you might benefit from, regardless of how unconstructive those may be to the purposes of this video game.

The event now most favors those who more actively engage with PVE's and zones. How the **** is that rebalance bad thing from the game's point of view? Even if the change doesn't specifically favor you (or by extention any other individual), its utterly assinine to argue against it simply because the developer isn't [apparently] approaching the game from such an obscenely subjective point of view (ie. one with absolutely no consideration of larger scale interactions and mechanisms, only that which its immediately presented with).
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    ... hate to break it to you but nobody is gonna play the whole weekend, for ~100-200 Bonus Marks (after waiting 6 months for the event) either ... that's not "rewarding" ... just do 3-5 Dailys (within the next 6 months) outside the Weekend Event instead ... => Bonus Marks Event, completely worthless ...

....Really?

I hate to break it to you but no one is playing STO right now because of their antipication for a temporary mark reward multiplier (and furthermore only because of its application to DAILY boxes).
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Fixed how? Remove it? Reduce it? That's going to TRIBBLE another set of everyone if "TRIBBLE" can indeed be applied to ANY situation where rewards are reduced in some concievable way.

Are you serious ? Can't tell ... remove the bazillion boxes AGAIN & reward the Marks right after the PVE Queue ... the way they "fixed" it 2-3 times before ... => No Hoarding
    ....Really? I hate to break it to you that no one is playing STO right now because of their antipication for a temporary mark reward multiplier.

ROFL ... yeah that must be it ... cause there is nothing else wrong with PVE Queues right now ... have fun with packed PVE Queues tomorrow *giggle* ... doesn't make any sense btw, because they didn't even know about the nerf till some hours ago, so shouldn't they have played more to hoard more ? ...
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Are you serious ? Can't tell ... remove the boxes AGAIN & reward the Marks right after the PVE Queue ... they way they fixed it 2-3 times before ...

Read. It'll do you wonders.

If you do that then the people getting the dailies off of small repeatable missions can complain that they're being screwed over, as well as those who are incidentally benefiting from those bonuses (which is a very nice thing for unforced, casual, playstyles). You haven't fixed anything, particularly the "mistreatment" of everyone as defined by these very narrow threads.

ROFL ... yeah that must be it ... cause there is nothing else wrong with PVE Queues right now ... have fun with packed PVE Queues tomorrow ...

Thanks, I will. Those bugs won't hunt themselves (though people on the forum may shoot themselves in the foot by aguing for absolutely insane point of view.)
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    noshuffle wrote: »
    That's not the issue, it's the continious nerfing of the game. It's like that I have just bought a Bentley and each weak I have to return that car back to the shop so the manufacturer can remove one piece of it, while I have paid for the whole lot.

Exactly. The big issue isn't the nerf itself which isn't that big a deal, it's the fact that it's part of a pattern of nerfs and money grabs. I can live with the nerf itself but I don't want what might be next in the pattern.

Worthless except to people like me who hoard the bigger mark boxes for these events. Last marks event I had a ton of 250 and other large boxes and cleaned up. I stand to earn hundreds of bonus delta marks on each of my characters this weekend due to my hoarding.

In anticipation of a dilithium event (which finally occured in, what, late September was it?) I also hoarded the big dilithium rewards like from missions after completing tier 5 reputation, tons of contraband, tons of BNP etc. and wound up with hundreds of thousands of bonus dilithium for my patience. I have some new dilithium missions I'm hoarding again from reputations I wasn't done with during the last event. It's all about patience.
  • Options
    xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    All like to sing along to the new Cryptic corporate song:
    No,

This is the new Cryptic corporate song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_siQqiT48Tc

Cheers! :D
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    If you do that then the people getting the dailies off of small repeatable missions can complain that they're being screwed over, as well as those who are incidentally benefiting from those bonuses (which is a very nice thing for unforced, casual, playstyles). You haven't fixed anything, particularly the "mistreatment" of everyone as defined by these very narrow threads.

I guess you missed the part where everyone was talking about the "Bonus Mark Weekend" not rewarding "Bonus Marks" during said weekend ... that was kind of the whole argument ... people getting "Bonus Marks" for "Daily Boxes" during you know "Bonus Mark Weekend" -> if you can't hoard them => only Bonus Marks during you know "Bonus Mark Weekend", because some crazy guys would expect such a thing ... :P

PS :
    Do you seriously have a problem people getting "too much" Marks from the Daily Bonus, for not doing 1-2 hour long PVE Queues (at least that's what I'm hearing)... guess what, that was the point of the "Daily Bonus" it's not unfair, everyone gets it no matter what ... and guess what, they'll still get it ...

You're arguing about A. while complaining about B. -> doesn't make any sense ... which one is it :

A. Daily Bonus Marks are somehow wrong ... because of population mechanics ...
    B. Daily Bonus Mark Boxes won't reward extra Marks during Bonus Mark Weekend ...

can't be both at the same time ...
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Exactly. The big issue isn't the nerf itself which isn't that big a deal, it's the fact that it's part of a pattern of nerfs and money grabs. I can live with the nerf itself but I don't want what might be next in the pattern.

So where do weekend events fit into that? Daily bonsuses? Dilithium buffs (see. to zones and through the mark system in general)? Patterns are easy to create (all you need to do is assemble a collection of like things) but tricky to justify because the process of selection just about enables any potential pattern to be created from a heterogeneous mass of events.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I guess you missed the part where everyone was talking about the Bonus Mark Weekend not rewarding "Bonus Marks" during said weekend ... that was kind of the whole argument ... people getting Bonus Marks for "Daily Boxes" during you know Bonus Mark Weekend.

PS :
    Not sure how anyone is mistreated & not sure how this would fix that anyway ... do you seriously have a problem people getting "too much" Marks from the Daily Bonus, for not doing 1-2 hour long PVE Queues (at least that's what I'm hearing)... guess what, that was the point of the "Daily Bonus" it's not unfair, everyone gets it no matter what ... and guess what they'll still get it ...

This isn't worth continuining.

I'm saying that the change is justifiable according to a view of population mechanics. We STILL have a bonus mark weekend, we still have daily boxes, only now the weekend is targeted towards more active participation with PVE's and Zones. Do I explicitly want to earn fewer marks, do I think that dailies were hurting me in some concievable way? No, but if I'm going to talk about how the game should be designed I'm going to think about how the game WORKS, what it encourages people to do and how that then affects how they approach the game.

You, let's just say, are not doing that nor do are you prepared to approach the subject from a relevant perspective. So I'm left to say "your perspective is inadequate" and you can do little more than repeat your original premise with increasing attitude.

Let's just call it a day. You can whine on about nerfs, and I can continue to look down on that. To each his own point of view.