Comments

• Options
    xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Don't feed the geko.
  • Options
    nephilim83nephilim83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Eh. The longer we go without some communication on this issue, the harder it is to keep my cool. I'm reaching bitter drunk divorcee who lost the house levels of irrationality.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    hojain2020 wrote: »
    Monetize a system that was deliberately made to slow things down lolol I wish you were my customer base for my gaming company lol.

This was my thought exactly.

Cryptic breaks the system, lies about it.. and now I should use my resources or even worse.. cash.. to fix it?

Yeah.. TRIBBLE that!:mad:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That's just a slippery slope fallacy.

I proposed 1 million dil to fill up the specializations. That's about 60$ in money, the cost of two ships.

And since its not money per se you have to spend, its not just "whales" who would take advantage.

Not everyone who plays the game is allergic to spending money in it, and not everyone who plays the game has the time to spend grinding 1000s of hours to get specialization points.

but if they don't spend money to get the refined 1 million dil they would need they will have to grind in any case to get the dil they would need and also wait for 125 days or about 4 months for it will be refined so you are just taking away one grind and replacing it with another.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    gonael77gonael77 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    By this idea of buying specponits why not offering a totally finished toon with a mix of ships for just 180k Zen?

that saves even more time and if you wish to save all playtime just pay 500k zen/month and a dev is playing yer toon....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    To the OP no no no no no to paying for specialization points. Cryptic need to fix the xp experience not charge us money for something that

A. Should be free as a character progression

B. Something that should be FUN and FULFILLING to play the game for and earn.

I can't say this game presses any of these buttons for me right now.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I am halfway hopeing they do bring in this system now and charge 1m dil or more.
    gonael77 wrote: »
    By this idea of buying specponits why not offering a totally finished toon with a mix of ships for just 180k Zen?

that saves even more time and if you wish to save all playtime just pay 500k zen/month and a dev is playing yer toon....

that's the biggest irony, paying money to play a game is one thing, paying money to not play it is totally insane.

ill keep playing as I am and earn the 36 more points I need the hard way, in my reckoning that's about 6 months of play time, I don't think that too much of a chore.

and when they bring the next load of specializations out as they have said they will I will do the same again and again and again and you can just keep on paying and paying and paying.

• Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    xaraman wrote: »
    Don't feed the geko.

Will it starve when we stop feeding it?
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Will it starve when we stop feeding it?

I think you need to petrify him or seal him away eternally as absolute evil is immortal.

That said, its logical to implement this next. I would say 8h double-xp bonus for 500 zen or xx dil. Would sell quite well.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The fact that some people seem to be OK with this idea scares me. If you're thinking to yourself "wow, this is a great idea" after you've been double (or triple) dipped for the privilege of flying your favourite ship and you've paid a fortune to upgrade your weapons and equipment, I suggest you head over to a search engine of your choice and look up "Stockholm Syndrome"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    stararmystararmy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Is the game really such a bad experience for OP that he would actually pay more money to not play it? I don't think that's the case.

Because when I hear "costs dilithium" what I really hear is "can be bought with actual money." I don't think he's got any intention of playing other content to earn that dilithium, considering he won't play the content to earn skill points. So this boils down to "pay to win."

It's disgusting. Other players have spent many hours putting work to get to where they're at and now OP wants to come along and have all the benefits of a star player without actually being one.

No. It's an MMO. Not everyone can be at the top of the ladder. Not everyone SHOULD be. If things aren't earned with actual play/effort/work then they're not worth anything.
    Zinc: The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players...expect to see new planets and races discovered that were unknown the last time you logged in."
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have to agree with OP.

When upgrading and crafting became "pay to win" or at least instant unlock for money, lines were crossed.

At this point yes, everything should be unlockable with money: reputation, leveling, doff levels, fleet time gates, leaver penalty, log-in queue everything.

All windows, timegates and accolades should just have a "buy now" button because you know that's where the game is at now.

And since the target audience is whales - who have no limit on spending cash but would rather not spend time, nothing makes more sense.

Fire phasers now for 50 dil
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    the thing is the way the game is set up at the moment is ideal to be played, as you play stuff that earns dilithium for upgrading stuff you are also earning marks towards your specialization at the same time, so if you play your game right it is actually you that will be double dipping the game for change.
    and of course if you are playing space based stuff you might also be earning towards ship mastery if you are using a T5U or T6 so you could even be triple dipping.

• Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Maybe a flat 75k dil per specialization point? make it 50k to be more accessible?

That would work.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It's like a plane is being flown at a cliff by a suicidal pilot and some passengers have decided to strap in & help him crash the damn thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited November 2014
    All you people shouting "pay to win!" need to re-evaluate what you're saying. Pay to Win means that you can literally pay for stuff that is inherently better than ANYTHING a free player can get. It's not pay to win if you can get it for free, even if it's unpleasant.

Example: A Mk XIV Phaser Array, [CrtD] x4, gold plated. A free player can't go past this barrier, and there's nowhere else for the phaser to go. Now, if Cryptic invents a new currency (whale-dollars, since you're all so fond of the term whale), and makes it stand on it's own with no way to get it other than swiping your credit card and getting some whale dollars, and allows that phaser to be upgraded to [CrtD] x5 with whale dollars, they have created pay to win. You pay to get something better than the free players, and what you purchase is not attainable by them.

Under the current system of dil->zen, nothing in this game is pay to win. You can, albeit slowly, acquire literally everything just by collecting dilithium every day. There is no issue with Cryptic selling spec points for 125 zen, and people that choose to burn that cash can do so. Those who choose to grind for their spec points, they can do that as well.

Is it unpleasant to grind? Yes; but that is your alternative. Either grind, or go find some disposable income to blow. All OP is suggesting is that those who have some money to burn can do so in the game they like, and the rest of us can slog through the grind.

FYI: I think leveling now is kinda ridiculous, and exp rewards need to be buffed by 10% across the board. (here's an idea: subscribers get 10% bonus exp, meaning if you're a lifetimer, you get 15% bonus exp)
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • Options
    mossimo70fumossimo70fu Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Sorry, but this is a horrible, absolutely horrible idea.

If this ever came to pass it would be the final nail on the coffin for this game as far as I'm concerned.

What is the point of getting your shinies if there isn't anything to do or anyone to play with afterwards?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I don't know what I am thinking, actually I should be all for this idea not arguing against it, we should be cheering this idea on, its guys like this who would rather pay then play that will help to feed the coffers and keeps the game afloat for us guys who would rather play then pay.

go on devs im all for this idea now let these players pay a tidy sum to bypass this, the more stuff they are willing to pay for the better.
    and if there is any other ways you can think of to get them to spend money you go right ahead and put it in, the more the better.

just think if I wasn't for the guys like this who would rather buy dilithium I would never have been able to get the dyson mega pack and DR Operations Pack.

good speed to you guys I really hope the devs let you spend all your money on this.

I would not even bother with making it a dilithium purchase let them buy it with zen.

• Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I am a star player though, in all respects.

I just find the exp grind extremely distasteful.

So, your response to them introducing such a distasteful exp grind is to offer money as a reward for having done so, rather than asking for them to fix that distasteful exp grind? :eek:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If a specialization point cost what a lockbox key does, I would have all my spec points filled within five minutes of logging on tomorrow.

So would I. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    nephilim83nephilim83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If a specialization point cost what a lockbox key does, I would have all my spec points filled within five minutes of logging on tomorrow.

Yet, for some unfathomable reason, a Spec point costs $300 worth of boosts. One. Single. Point.

Why they thought the XP boosts needed to be nerfed to a third of their payout it beyond me.

They were already a complete waste of Zen...
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Pretty sure they said that no one can buy their way into the specialization points path. So if that upsets people, too bad. We're all in the same boat now.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Patch coming now.
    Lets take a guess: 250k per cpt point ?
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    'due to player feedback, we are now making sp/xp available for purchase using dil and lobi'
    lol i can see it already
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    nephilim83 wrote: »
    Yet, for some unfathomable reason, a Spec point costs $300 worth of boosts. One. Single. Point.

Why they thought the XP boosts needed to be nerfed to a third of their payout it beyond me.

They were already a complete waste of Zen...

^^ This. I would never ever buy one. Like ever.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    We're all in the same boat now.

^^ That statement is probably more true than you intended. I mean, who is rich enough to deck out all their ships fully upgraded?! Most of us really *are* still in the same boat. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    queues have been ruined, they dont give enough to justify the time doing them.

doffing has also been severely, severely nerfed as a source of exp. it gives something less than 1/3 what it used to? maybe 1/10th? if any at all?

if you're level 59 then you have filled in 9 points of specialization out of the 45? you need

Once again, allowing other people to pay dil for specialization points doesn't affect you in any way. Just because you don't want to do it doesn't mean other people should not be able to, wouldn't you agree?

Someone mentioned an issue with missing noodles, after the above post by the OP, I have to agree! you want to 'willingly' hand over fists full of money to the people that have not only damaged game progression, reduced player base numbers and already increased monetisation in game, but, are aware of their issues in as much as they have been throwing extra events at us to try and stem the leak and fudge their metrics...

Yay, lets reward people for messing things up!!
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015