What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Skill Point Update

Comments

• Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This is a big xp nerv, doff-jobs give same amount xp as before patch but to get a specilization point xp needed is much higher..
    Guess Cryptic still thinks to many people plays the game.....
    Looks like they didn't learned anything from the last time the nerved our xp !!!!

Needed xp is 100.000 for 1 specilization point, doff-jobs is same xp as before patch = almost %50 nerv !!! WOW

And the game still keep crashing to desk-top, 2x in 1 hour.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    That only pertains to leveling. :) So, so you won't level faster between 50-60. But if NPC's generally pay out more, any activity NOT related to leveling (like just filling out your Specialization tree) should thus see an *increase* in XP per NPC.

Filling out your Specialization tree after level 60 now requires more XP than it did before today's patch.

Net gain from NPC's XP increase is zero.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Filling out your Specialization tree after level 60 now requires more XP than it did before today's patch.

So,

It was just a cosmetic change to make players feel better about XP gains.

That's a pity. Though in fairness, apart from the intel kits and trait, the spec talents don't seem to bother me that much. In fact, I checked my spec tree last night and realised I had a couple of points I hadn't spent. Not sure how long they were there. :)
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    js26568 wrote: »

Tested it on Defera, beforr todays Nerf: 7PX per Borg, after 12 XP, so we got ~70% more XP, but at the same time we need ~200% more for the next level... just great.
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    bones1970 wrote: »
    This is a big xp nerv, doff-jobs give same amount xp as before patch but to get a specilization point xp needed is much higher..
    Looks like they didn't learned anything from the last time the nerved our xp !!!!

Needed xp is 100.000 for 1 specilization point, doff-jobs is same xp as before patch = almost %50 nerv !!! WOW

Wow indeed. I'll get on later and check this. If true, this is just insane.

I'm not one that really is worried about the level speed but even I can admit it was plenty slow enough.

Still people playing. Game bleeding. Twist dagger.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Finally a moment of truth and clarity. :(

See, I knew the other shoe would drop! All this Dev's clever double-talk, all the subterfuge, was it so difficult to come out and say: "Specialization will now take 100,000 XP per level."?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,804 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    valenn1 wrote: »
    Tested it on Defera, beforr todays Nerf: 7PX per Borg, after 12 XP, so we got ~70% more XP, but at the same time we need ~200% more for the next level... just great.

If this is true, this is another disaster in the making. Why do they keeping breaking the game?Like the great NERF of 10/23 was not enough...Come on guys?

I will check it as soon as I get a chance as well..just hoping is not that bad.

Thanks for the heads up.
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    lordthrudlordthrud Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hi

I would just like to pass on a message of thanks from a friend.

"Dear Cryptic

Thanks for communicating this in depth convoluted explanation on the next nerf? to xp.

My owner was close to breaking and buying the T6 intrepid but your timely post has helped him curb this impulse.

I know I can always rely on your timely (at the moment weekly) interventions to stop him spending money since DR hit.

Thanks and regards

Fatter Wallet."
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited November 2014
    While developing the Delta Rising expansion for Star Trek Online, there was a lot of work that went into creating the reward schema for skill points and the requirements of skill points needed to advance up through level 60. Throughout the creation and testing of these additional levels, much of the team’s attention was focused on whether or not the rewards and the progression felt correct. Unfortunately, since the release of Delta Rising, we have discovered some issues with our initial math that have caused some anomalous player facing numbers that we are now addressing in our upcoming update.

The major issue we discovered is that we built our rewards off of how much of a level we wanted a player to earn by completing a given piece of content, but did not take into account what the actual number that showed up in the rewards would be. The end result is that if you completed a mission or duty officer assignment at level 49 and then completed the same mission or duty officer assignment at level 51, you would see a smaller reward of skill points for the mission completed at a higher level. While this may sound like players were getting fewer rewards than they should, that has not been the case as the required amount of skill points needed to achieve each level was set with these values in mind.

The fix for this is that we will be updating the skill point rewards throughout the game so that they will at least maintain the values seen at earlier levels, or in the case of critter kills increase in skill point rewards as you increase in player level. In order to maintain the desired rate of progression we spent a lot of time fine tuning while developing Delta Rising the required amount of skill points for each player level will also go up.

While there are a lot of numbers changing, we have taken extra care to make sure that the speed at which players level up will remain the same as it is now. This means that if a player chooses to level up from level 51 to 52 using exclusively missions and it currently requires that they play 3 missions to do so, then after the update it will still take 3 missions to level up from 51 to 52 if you use them as your sole source of skill points. This is true for whatever method a player might choose for leveling up – whether it is missions, duty officer assignments or critter kills.

We will furthermore ensure that every player’s current progression is maintained while these numbers are updated. If you are halfway between levels 52 and 53 now, you will remain halfway between levels 52 and 53 after the update even though the total amount of skill points to achieve level 52 has gone up and the required skill points you’ll need to earn in order to become level 53 has also gone up.

We are sorry to be making such drastic changes so far after launch. Unlike the other changes we are making to tune balance, this should be a one-time change.

Charles Gray
    Lead Content Designer
    Star Trek Online

3 missions to go up one level you say

takes 25 bug hunt Elites or ISA's per level I believe 50k skill points approx. about 2k per mission if I do 5 missions per day that's about 1 level a week

what 3 missions are you referring too
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    doyouwdoyouw Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Wait.

If they're increasing the XP cost for leveling...

What happens to my 60th level toon now? Do I lose levels?

someone took a look at programing, apparently you're going back to lvl 1 because :

- you were caught being lvl60 without required XP so dev decided you probably cheated
    - the next probable number after 60 is 1 (craptic maths)
    - or you win a cat pet for achiving such a new lvl of nonsense in game and the title 'game over, play again plz"
    Dark Side (KDF)
    HOUSE OF BORG
    "I am FLATULUS of Borg, Resistance if Futile! Prepare to pull my finger!"

cube.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014

And the game still keep crashing to desk-top, 2x in 1 hour.

Hm, strange, i need 155103XP (+ a bit i already earned, should be around 1-2k) for one Specialization Point for my fresh level 60 KDF.
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    js26568 wrote: »

from a 60 to another ... have fun with that ... :(
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    leethorogoodleethorogood Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I wonder how long it will take to get an official response, everyone start your stop watches................. NOW! :(
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I just tried Japori. The specialization experience gain is the same. Low for advance and garbage for elite.

Check this out 147815 specialization experience is needed for each captain specialization. So, this was the Nerf. The so called anomaly was people knew how the game mechanics works and was able to get captain specialization faster then plan.

Way to go, Cryptic!

http://imgur.com/UbA4Fag
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I do realy hope my math is wrong.

Before the patch today:

From Level 50 to 55 ~ 11000 Skill Points/Level

From Level 55 to 60 ~ 54000 Skill Points/Level

Argala Normal ~ 3100 Skill Points/Run

After the patch today:

From Level 50 to 55 ~ 31820 Skill Points/Level

From Level 55 to 60 ~ more than 158863 Skill Points/Level

Argala Normal ~ 4713Skill Points/Run
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I wonder how long it will take to get an official response, everyone start your stop watches................. NOW! :(

We wont get one, they are exceptionally good in sitting things out.
    (The good thing is: the customer base says "thank you" in their way)
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    But didn't they say they have fixed the scoring now? I hope so such a long grind to level 60. I did that on my FED already. To me it should be base on how hard you hit those ships or the hit points to make in them. Scoring should be fair for all players too. I just hope everything is now working correctly so I can finish up on my KDF GEN and ROM ADMN to level 60. They're almost there but long battle to that level. 675 to redo prior missions and 1000 skilled points on patrol missions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Apparently, game design = creating and ramping up hurdles for players.

It seems to me like that should be a small part of it but is somehow a consuming focus at Cryptic.
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    bridgern wrote: »
    I do realy hope my math is wrong.

Before the patch today:

From Level 50 to 55 ~ 11000 Skill Points/Level

From Level 55 to 60 ~ 54000 Skill Points/Level

Argala Normal ~ 3100 Skill Points/Run

After the patch today:

From Level 50 to 55 ~ 31820 Skill Points/Level

From Level 55 to 60 ~ more than 158863 Skill Points/Level

Argala Normal ~ 4713Skill Points/Run

LOL.. well done cryptic, nice nerf..

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    @OneWhoWroteTheNerf: Nerfing is a sickness, get well soon.
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    LOL.. well done cryptic, nice nerf..

Yea. I realized it would be a Nerf when they wrote about it.

Pre Patch
    Per episode - 1x Specialization for mission
    Enemies - 1x individual
    Capitalization points - 55,000+ specialization experience

Post patch
    Per episode - 3x Specialization for mission (only 1800 specialization experience)
    Enemies - 1x individual
    Capitalization points - 148,000+ specialization experience(3x time sthe increase > more then 1800)
    Significant: Doff not scaled!

Wow. Nerfed!
  • Options
    cronos722cronos722 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Duty officer missions did not scale.

So the real issue was to take Doff mission character leveling out of the equation. Nerf successful.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    cronos722 wrote: »

So the real issue was to take Doff mission character leveling out of the equation. Nerf successful.

I really feel they think people are [fill in the blank].
  • Options
    thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This is absolutely outrageous!!!
    How much of grind are we supposed to undertake to get those damned specializations?!
    Even 54k per spec. point was too much considering how much was XP we were receiving after the nerf and you even triple the required amount!
    I am seriously speechless. Dissapointed. At least make earned spec. points after lv. 60. ACCOUNT-WIDE so I dont have to grind it on every character.
    Currently I no longer have interest to play this actively. I will probably play during events, but that's it.
    Gameserver not found.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think Cryptic has some grand idea that leveling up in this game should take years and years.

Either that or they're about to start selling Specialization Points for 5000 zen each.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    cronos722 wrote: »

Wow indeed. I can't get into the game to see this for myself, but maybe I don't want to. This also appears to be a lie right to your face sort of lie.

"we have taken extra care to make sure that the speed at which players level up will remain the same as it is now. This means that if a player chooses to level up from level 51 to 52 using exclusively missions and it currently requires that they play 3 missions to do so, then after the update it will still take 3 missions to level up from 51 to 52 if you use them as your sole source of skill points. This is true for whatever method a player might choose for leveling up – whether it is missions, duty officer assignments or critter kills."
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Wow indeed. I can't get into the game to see this for myself, but maybe I don't want to. This also appears to be a lie right to your face sort of lie.

"we have taken extra care to make sure that the speed at which players level up will remain the same as it is now. This means that if a player chooses to level up from level 51 to 52 using exclusively missions and it currently requires that they play 3 missions to do so, then after the update it will still take 3 missions to level up from 51 to 52 if you use them as your sole source of skill points. This is true for whatever method a player might choose for leveling up – whether it is missions, duty officer assignments or critter kills."

I really wish I could sit down, have a beer with one of these guys, and have them explain their design and business philosophy.
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    I can confirm most of these figures are right, I've just run Argala and checked a couple of other things, and it is a nerf. I'm really tempted to go find my pitchfork and torch.....

Edit: Just pulled in a Doff mission, and it isn't giving the experience as advertised, it's less than it says it will be.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.