test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Statement - Tau Dewa

Comments

• krilldarnkrilldarn Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I never lost any points after the "fix", but disagree with all the toys around Cryptics pram....

So to show you I play the game how I want... Welcome to OCCUPY ESD...

My toon will be sat on the floor not playing as a protest.... Join me to show your support
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    The development team became aware of a potential leveling exploit on Wednesday morning, and after initial investigation decided to shut down access to the maps that were being used by the exploiters in order to perform a deeper investigation.

We uncovered some bugs in the game that were definitely not intentional and that could be used to level at a rate significantly faster than anywhere else in the game. Fixes to these bugs are going live today that should remove the exploit. Details of the changes can be found in the release notes.

While many players participated a little in the exploited maps, very few really took advantage of it to excessively level characters. We identified this small number of players, and we have removed the excess levels from these characters.

We apologize for the inconvenience of closed maps during the investigation and for the bugs that led to the scramble around those maps.

~LaughingTrendy

Wow, that was quick! I wish some other bugs were fixed that quickly. Anyway, thank you for investigating this issue. I don't welcome exploiting either, but I had to put in that sidenote. Sometimes bugs are just as grave as exploits and then it would be nice if they were fixed in less than a week or even two, just as quick as this exploit was removed. Thanks! :)

~ Meow
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Wait. Let me get this straight. Cryptic is fixing in-game bugs and exploits, TRIBBLE that they created, and yet they cannot find the time to fix the launcher crashing problem? This is why Cryptic SUCKS. They don't have their priorities in order.
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Really, guys? People had so many issues with the way you handled this whole situation and communicated it (via your cutesy Q avatar and not a real person)... And now you make a statement that is basically four paragraphs of saying nothing at all. This is becoming sad.

After the whole Season 9.5 fiasco I'd have thought that you were to ramp up the way you handle communications with the community. Instead you take a head through the wall approach and expect us to keep quiet. So many people are butthurt over this and you can't even give us an open, grown-up explanation that doesn't insult anyone's intelligence? Jeez.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • sacha32sacha32 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The development team became aware of a potential leveling exploit on Wednesday morning, and after initial investigation decided to shut down access to the maps that were being used by the exploiters in order to perform a deeper investigation.

We uncovered some bugs in the game that were definitely not intentional and that could be used to level at a rate significantly faster than anywhere else in the game. Fixes to these bugs are going live today that should remove the exploit. Details of the changes can be found in the release notes.

While many players participated a little in the exploited maps, very few really took advantage of it to excessively level characters. We identified this small number of players, and we have removed the excess levels from these characters.

We apologize for the inconvenience of closed maps during the investigation and for the bugs that led to the scramble around those maps.

~LaughingTrendy

I got my 26-27 spec points due to playing PVP and Doff missions, you removed all my specs and set them back to 7. See you're zen list of what my toons bought and restore my spec, because now you're telling us whe're thieves. I played only PVP for hrs and hrs.

Greetings
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Cryptic,

What the hell are you doing?!

Seriously, I may not always agree with what you do, But largely I support this game.
    That's why I'm still here and spending what my ever shrinking entertainment dollar budget allows.

But you just keep diggin yourselves deeper into this mess.

Is there not a lucid one amongst you?

How can you accuse players for playing content you put in the game?

If Tau Dewa NPCs weren't scaling correctly, that's on you, not players.
    To hear that it was brought to your attention via Tribble feedback, yet you still let it go live to Holodeck, (if true), is also on you, not players.

Guys, I care too much about the game, You're your own worst enemy here.

If any rollback is necessary, It's this expansion that needs a rollback.
    Surely your metrics must be showing how people have been avoiding the queues. What the masses actually think of this expansion. The fun ratio needs a buffing, not NPC hitpoints.

To punish " a few" when players were teaming Tau Dewa en mass is just wrong. What's wrong with you? Shouldn't that tell you something?

Guys, have a redbull, double shot espresso. or whatever gets your juices flowing, call a meeting and brainstorm a way out of this mess. One that doesn't drive players away, new and old alike preferably.

Consider why people were at Tau Dewa in the first place. Open up a dialog. Ask players what we think about this expansion, what we think you got right and what needs some tweaking.
    You had a schedule to meet, I get that. Now take some time, fine tune this thing into something the players actually enjoy.

It's not too late to fix this.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    coralec wrote: »

bahahahahahaha good one lmao but you got a very good point lmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I wasn't involved and only know about the issue from hearsay, but IMO it doesn't seem very fair to punish players for failing to read your minds concerning what parts of the game are working as intended or not.
  • gizmox64gizmox64 Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Funny how quickly they can fix something unintentional, but bugs or issues they've known for weeks, months, years stay unresolved.
    Priorities, priorities...

This is a MMO, I'd like to play missions with someone with OUT the mission freaking out, or being outright told it's single player only...
    There's more to STO then just group PvEs...

Just keep on adding more grind, more Dil sinks to unlock basically more player stores, and slightly better gear for more grind, but don't forget to take away more ways to get the Dil in the first place, like from leveling, and reduced rewards, oh well it's all moot anyway, since we can only convert ore at 8.5k a day anyway, but more and more stuff that needs it gets added....

Perhaps make all in game items need ORE instead, and only REFINED to buy ZEN.

Oh well it's a free game, the only Trek on the block, so I guess we get what we get.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This would cause rage in me if STO was worth caring for anymore, but its not, its not worth even grinding in anymore. Boring game, boring devs, boring grinding.

Sad part is, this behaviour isn't new, its been in the game forever, its not an exploit, its something they forgot to nerf. Is it the player's fault? Hardly. If we had exploration clusters still people could do them there as well, although the quality of those randomly generated pieces of garbage is well above and beyond the total trash like the dailes in the Delta Quadrant or Tau Dewa.

Too bad this isn't going to stop ever. People say they are fed up, then pony up $100s for the new 18 pack of ships they need to have right now for content that is so dull they don't want to play. I haven't spent a cent in over 2 years, I won't again until the game direction changes, which of course it won't until it dies.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If we had exploration clusters still people could do them there as well,
    And now, you may be starting to see the real reason they removed the clusters. Quality assurance, my TRIBBLE. ;)
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    You guys will have to be satisfied with the answer Trendy gave you.

Do Not Presume to tell me what I must be satisfied with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Might as well put a daily XP cap on all activities. I was never in any parties touring Tau Dewa, and got my progress cut in half after doing the new content available to me in the Delta Quadrant. How are you supposed to know that *new* content is not proper to level up by, and what are you supposed to do, when there is not enough solo content, to go by?

Finding a team was the logical solution. And doing the patrols in the DELTA QUADRANT was the *only* sane option, because the PvE queues had little going for them, with the recent changes, and the ordinary missions was used up!

Railroaded into a narrow set of options, following the official recommendations, and then get your progress stolen, that is not going down so well.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited October 2014
  • astimingpyleastimingpyle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So patrols were exploits?Guess that was the best kept secret in game this whole time .SOme would have bet the devs put them in game .

Patrols were not an exploit, something within some patrols were an exploit.
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am very concerned about this situation.

Like a lot of people, I play Tau Dawa everyday, and seeing that people that supposedly didn't play the content got penalized, has me concerned.

Without knowing what the issue was, I feel that I could have easily been seen as one of the exploiters, especially if the problem was just the fact that Cryptic forgot to set the NPCs to scale up more. If that's the situation, it might be me next time. I'm not sure if I want to give PWE/Cryptic more money, if it's just going to lost by being potentially banned from the game...

...here I was almost ready to pull the trigger on getting the Operations Pack.

I would feel better if Cryptic would provide an explanation of what the issue/exploit was. I want to understand what it is so that I can try to avoid such a thing that might happen in the future.

Disclosing this now shouldn't be a problem now that the issue has been fixed.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I do the Defari dailies, and I do them on Elite. But now I have a nagging feeling that a Dev is looking over my shoulder if I put it on Elite mode. And now I'm worried they'll consider it an exploit.

From other posts I've read, I think others feel that too. And I think this disaster sent a cold chill down the community. Players are afraid and looking over their shoulder, figuratively, when they're doing something that isn't in Delta Rising.

Cryptic, this is being handled wrong in so many ways. And you're repsonce reeks of "You peasants. We gave you shiny new toys and you don't even use them. Now we'll take everything away."

What I find interesting in these threads is Cryptic's usual boot licking cheer leader fan club members are being quiet too. If Cryptic can't get their supporters to support them, then things surely are not gonna end well.
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited October 2014

until they nerf it or class that as inappropriate
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited October 2014

That's not issue here, as I see it.

They can do whatever they want, but their actions can be to their benefit or their detriment. If you start to lose a significant of customer confidence, it's usually the latter.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Might as well put a daily XP cap on all activities.

They should just do that.

Just like with Dil cap.

Make's it easy to swap toons.

free to play and all and you can keep playing even if you hit the cap... just no more xp till the next day or you can subscribe for a monthly fee and level all you want :)

or flag it so only DR gives xp post L49, you can hit L50 but you need to buy the right to level at DR if you want to advance past L50.
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »
    They should just do that.

Just like with Dil cap.

Make's it easy to swap toons.

free to play and all and you can keep playing even if you hit the cap... just no more xp till the next day or you can subscribe for a monthly fee and level all you want :)

or flag it so only DR gives xp post L49, you can hit L50 but you need to buy the right to level at DR if you want to advance past L50.

You really need to stop giving them ideas...even if you are kidding :rolleyes:
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Which s hard to do when your worried so much your looking over your shoulder
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I do the Defari dailies, and I do them on Elite. But now I have a nagging feeling that a Dev is looking over my shoulder if I put it on Elite mode. And now I'm worried they'll consider it an exploit.

Haven't they fixed "Elite-XP" by nerfing it to 70% less ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They appear by my calculations to have made a coding error--a major one, but substituting a divide for the intended multiply operator produces a 72% loss of XP.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • noshufflenoshuffle Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Yeah, true, they can deem anything inappropriate, but at the end of the ride, it's revenue and benifits that counts. Upsetting your costumers in such way that they abandonn their loyalty in a company have brought already loads of companies to bankrupcy. That's not democracy, that's a hard reality
    OK, if I have to stay here for a while, your cieling ... looks idious.:D
  • abfabfleetabfabfleet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    They appear by my calculations to have made a coding error--a major one, but substituting a divide for the intended multiply operator produces a 72% loss of XP.

Yep, they can it's THEIR game they can do what they wish or file a bug report or wait to see if they notice and create a patch/announcement or if you really want to keep predicting and inciting Cryptic/PWE is out to hurt or damage players well... the stage needs to be emptied and personally I hope they slam the hammer down on these forums.. :eek:
  • dius1981dius1981 Member Posts: 500
    edited October 2014
    abfabfleet wrote: »
    Yep, they can it's THEIR game they can do what they wish or file a bug report or wait to see if they notice and create a patch/announcement or if you really want to keep predicting and inciting Cryptic/PWE is out to hurt or damage players well... the stage needs to be emptied and personally I hope they slam the hammer down on these forums.. :eek:

Very true...

Still IMO - The best form of protest would be to stop playing THEIR game.

Which I have done. Its a game, its not work. Why even bother voicing your opinion at all. Its clear no one is listening.

This train left the tracks the min Delta Grinding was launched.

I'm glad its not just the PvP community that have had enough of cryptic BS this time.

Stop playing the game. Wait for them to kick Geko to the curb. I guarantee without him this game will recover.

D,
    OMEGA ARMADA & House of Beautiful Orions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please keep the QQ to a minimum.
    >>>PUNISH THE FEDs<<<
    >>>Positive Feedback from a PvE HERO<<<
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm sorry, but I don't see how suggesting an error occurred and offering a productive suggestion as to where the error might be so that the devs can fix it is inciting?

Nowhere am I calling Cryptic evil or calling for torches and pitchforks.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I don't see how suggesting an error occurred and offering a productive suggestion as to where the error might be so that the devs can fix it is inciting?

Nowhere am I calling Cryptic evil or calling for torches and pitchforks.

No, you're not. Actually you're giving exactly the kind of feedback that is called constructive, My, aren't you a special snowflake ? :):P:D
This discussion has been closed.