test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would or Could you boycott for a week?

clcopelandclcopeland Member Posts: 50 Arc User
I'm just curious and in no way am I trying to be inflammatory, but there have been calls in various chats about a boycott.

Would you? Could you?

I'm not sure I could even if I was willing to. Don't get me wrong, elite patrols were not broken. I am kinda miffed too, but would a boycott really do anything? I am also as tired as everyone else of really large bugs not being fixed but an emergency quarantine being pretty quick.

I don't know - I've been in game since launch. Either I am burning out on the game or Cryptic is burning me out on the game, maybe both.
Post edited by clcopeland on

Comments

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There essentially is a boycott of pve queues right now. For the sake of the game I hope to see this change Thursday at 1300 hours. If it's not fixed by the following Thursday at least I see some permanent damage being done.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    clcopeland wrote: »
    I'm just curious and in no way am I trying to be inflammatory, but there have been calls in various chats about a boycott.

Would you? Could you?

I'm not sure I could even if I was willing to. Don't get me wrong, elite patrols were not broken. I am kinda miffed too, but would a boycott really do anything? I am also as tired as everyone else of really large bugs not being fixed but an emergency quarantine being pretty quick.

I don't know - I've been in game since launch. Either I am burning out on the game or Cryptic is burning me out on the game, maybe both.

You know what would be the ultimate problem with this? Yes, you could boycott, but you'd have everyone who was boycotting coming to the forums and declaring that they were boycotting and still posting like "Look at me, I'm boycotting! WHOO!"
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    when has a "boycott" EVER worked in any MMO, ever....seriously this kind of thing just does not work because most players either never new what the issue was/is or simply do not care.
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Considering I stopped playing for a few months because I was bored with the previous content, sure.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've tried boycotting idiotic threads...but it never works out.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    You know what would be the ultimate problem with this? Yes, you could boycott, but you'd have everyone who was boycotting coming to the forums and declaring that they were boycotting and still posting like "Look at me, I'm boycotting! WHOO!"

Exactly, so what good would it do. I guess the best that could be done would be a petition, which would promptly get ignored. I suppose it could be tried though.

I was having real fun again with pugs, PUGS! It was fun for the first time in a long time to meet up with strangers and play a space mission. People were even friendly again saying hi and good job and nice heals to each other. I felt like life was returning to the game again. I had a purpose for my alts and all their ships to master.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    when has a "boycott" EVER worked in any MMO, ever....seriously this kind of thing just does not work because most players either never new what the issue was/is or simply do not care.

I doubt it ever would work myself. Personally I'm too addicted to my toons to step away.
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've already been silently boycotting STO by hardly logging in. What would it be, 7 more days without crappy rewards and long drawn out battles? Pretty doable I think.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There essentially is a boycott of pve queues right now. For the sake of the game I hope to see this change Thursday at 1300 hours. If it's not fixed by the following Thursday at least I see some permanent damage being done.
    to the OP's question: Yes, I could boycott for a week.

to sheldoncooper's point, I walked away from PvE (STFs/PUGs) last week. I haven't started DR yet, despite owning the DR Ops Pack. I decided after the Dau Tewa maps freeze (which I don't play in anyways) to withhold Zen purchases. (Yes, I was about to drop another big bill on the game.)

Will players boycott? Likely not.

But I would. And already doing it in my own way until enough relevant fixes go live on Holodeck.

But mewmaster101 nails it. Although enough rage could make ppl walk away... Forget the Dil bonus grind or the free Lobi.

Naaaahh...
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Nobody is in the queues because people are doing privates. It has always been mainly privates.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Im already doing it im in the middle of uninstalling the game right now as im gonna start playing swtor again as of tomorrow.

Ive also suggested we do fleet wide boycotts but yeah lol
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Would you? Could you?

A week? Dude, I am [this close] to advising my fleetmates that I am taking a hiatus for an unspecified amount of time. I have better things to do than pump time and money into a game that just looks to consume everything you have.

I know it's probably against forum rules to talk about non-cryptic MMOs but there is one coming out SOON (early 2015) that I will rush to join... I walked away from STO for years before... I have no qualms doing it again.
    tucana66 wrote: »
    to the OP's question: Yes, I could boycott for a week.

to sheldoncooper's point, I walked away from PvE (STFs/PUGs) last week. I haven't started DR yet, despite owning the DR Ops Pack. I decided after the Dau Tewa maps freeze (which I don't play in anyways) to withhold Zen purchases. (Yes, I was about to drop another big bill on the game.)

Will players boycott? Likely not.

But I would. And already doing it in my own way until enough relevant fixes go live on Holodeck.

But mewmaster101 nails it. Although enough rage could make ppl walk away... Forget the Dil bonus grind or the free Lobi.

Naaaahh...

The thing is..... if a large number of player DID boycott Cryptic would cave in eventually. They hold the power over the content we play, but WE have the power over their ability to get paid to churn content.

But, sadly, this is like Americna politics... the majority will complain but do nothing and the powers that be will continue to laugh from atop their ivory towers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    But, sadly, this is like Americna politics... the majority will complain but do nothing and the powers that be will continue to laugh from atop their ivory towers.

Which is why I wondered if anyone would actually do anything about it. It's not like there is any place for players to voice real concerns about the game beyond the forums. I've never really seen any consistent communication in terms of feedback here.
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Which is why I wondered if anyone would actually do anything about it. It's not like there is any place for players to voice real concerns about the game beyond the forums. I've never really seen any consistent communication in terms of feedback here.

thats because there is none its like trying to talk to EA intelligently; Pointless.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Remember when all those Video Game boycotts changed the industry, and all game publishers, and companies realized the error in their ways, and everything was great again:rolleyes:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Boycotting hasn't meant something since the 60's. And even then, those people actually did boycotting, not say they were and continued to frequent the places they wanted to rebel against.

Darn Millennials and their armchair activism! Get off mah digital lawn!

*waves laser cane*
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Boycotting hasn't meant something since the 60's. And even then, those people actually did boycotting, not say they were and continued to frequent the places they wanted to rebel against.

Darn Millennials and their armchair activism! Get off mah digital lawn!

*waves laser cane*

I see this a lot at the campus I lecture at. People want things to change, but are unwilling to do much about it. I can't say I'm much different. I did post my opposing opinion on the twitter account, but I think that is only for show anyway.
  • Options
    m4th3m4t1c14nm4th3m4t1c14n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Maybe boycotting hasn't meant anything since the 60's, and maybe people aren't willing to do much about it, but I just uninstalled and it feels great! It's simple. There are thousands of other games out there. I'm sure I can find one where the devs don't actively seek ways to ruin the players' fun. Plus, it's bound to cost me far less! I can't believe I've wasted over 2700 hours on this. Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    a whole week! i go stir crazy if i miss a day.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I'm sure I can find one where the devs don't actively seek ways to ruin the players' fun.

now with an MMO you are not. You will be hard pressed to find a MMO that is not a sub-based game (And even several of those are really bad) where the devs are useless in some way.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    lmao. this is very true. a lot of people claim boycotts but cant functionally do so due to monopoly. not that many people actually stick to boycotts for more than a day. about the only one i have stuck to for more than 5 years is EA.

other side to armchair activism is, if your government wont listen to a group of people putting their names to a cause in a petition or other armchair activist activity, then they arent going to listen to you put your name to a cause when you go to a ballot box.

Wanna point this out: A Petition is not the same as a "petition thread". Typing /signed is about as effective and useful to a cause as drawing a stencil ribbon on the back of your hand.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    a whole week! i go stir crazy if i miss a day.

I feel the same way and it's probably due to the amount of time and effort I've put in on each of my toons. I feel connected to them in a way and I would hate to give that up.
  • Options
    roninfelroninfel Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Exactly, so what good would it do. I guess the best that could be done would be a petition, which would promptly get ignored. I suppose it could be tried though.

I was having real fun again with pugs, PUGS! It was fun for the first time in a long time to meet up with strangers and play a space mission. People were even friendly again saying hi and good job and nice heals to each other. I felt like life was returning to the game again. I had a purpose for my alts and all their ships to master.

Exactly! it was actually fun to get a group together again and run the patrols!. For some reason I thought this expansion was supposed to be about teaming? We do it and they freak out?
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I feel the same way and it's probably due to the amount of time and effort I've put in on each of my toons. I feel connected to them in a way and I would hate to give that up.

Rather than quitting altogether, perhaps cutting back on actual monetary expenditures would get the point across?

<shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    Rather than quitting altogether, perhaps cutting back on actual monetary expenditures would get the point across?

<shrug>

not at all. again, there is NOTIHNG the playerbase can/would do that could change their minds about most (as in 99.9999999%) things

This extends to video games in general. just look at EA, one of the most horrible companies in existence but is probably one of the biggest video game distributors of all time.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Players: Hey guys lets not play for a week.

Cryptic: okay, well, see you guys next week *shrugs*

Normally people boycott till their demands are met
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There is only one kind of 'boycotting' I do:

Back when Blizzard forced their new battle.net integration into everything, I walked. Haven't purchased or played a single Blizzard-Activision product since. Before then, I had.. every one of their games - even the more obscure ones like Rock'n'Roll Racing.

That said, I am considering taking a break until the Winter Event(I haven't taken a major break from STO since.. the Fleet system?). To be honest, while there IS some really nice production quality in Delta Rising, so many of the new systems in place just feel.. under-developed and over-engineered. I'm interested in seeing these systems once they're a bit more fleshed out, but for now it really does feel like working with an incomplete product.