test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Want to rocket to 60? NOT AN EXPLOIT

Comments

• spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I parsed Sakari just now, after my last post. Heh, I should have checked the build first...lol...forgot I was testing EMP. It's cool looking and all, but uh...yeah.

16:15 minutes.

8,207,539 Damage
    8,487.631 DPS

4,938,293 Hull Damage
    3,269,246 ShieldDamage

In this case, the targets died with shields still up - never dropped a facing on any of them.

I'll go ahead and parse Argala using the same build though.

edit: It's with the guy in my sig, the Sci in the Benthan...level 59.

2x Bio-Molecular Disruptor Arrays Mk XII [Acc]x2 (VR)
    2x Nanite Disruptor Arrays Mk XII [Acc]x2 [CrtD] (VR)
    Corrosive Torp Mk XIII (Rare)
    Elachi Torp Mk XIII (Rare)
    Particle Plasma Torp Mk XII (VR)
    Corrosive Mine Mk XIII (VR)
    1x Locator Mk XIII (VR)
    1x Disruptor Mk XIII (VR)
    1x Mk XII Multi-Conduit (VR) (still bugged at 11.6)
    (Yeah, just 3 of the 4 Tac consoles and the bugged Relay at that.)

It's a poster child of a fail build...just testing various things.

I noticed that too. Always killing with bleed-though - it's like these NPC's have ridiculous shield regen at the lower shield strength- plus some pretty nasty TT.

This can present a HUGE problem for low DPS people or players that are not doing enough bleed through or DOT. I think that is why so many are struggling with the new NPCs.
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'll honestly admit I gained most of my exp in Tau Dewa from 50 to 60. Speed wise when solo it was about the same as that 5 wave one in DR with TD being faster below level 57ish and DR being faster afterward.

But one was enjoyable to play. The other was not. And that is what I think is the issue. First off in Taue Dewa I had control over which NPCs I would fight so I could avoid annoyances like four enemies with sub nuke. The pacing was faster, enemy ships exploded within a boff ability rotation instead of a captain ability rotation. I didn't fall asleep.

Cryptic has always struggled with proper pacing of content and creating a quality tension curve.
  • ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    Since mos tpeople can't play the new content (comfortably) without being 60, this would be a crappy thing to do...

They've already nerfed the ability to upgrade your gear to the point of hilarity, nerfing this would be just vindictive...

Cant make money off of people if they arent funnelling into the hamster wheel that is DR content.
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    I'll honestly admit I gained most of my exp in Tau Dewa from 50 to 60. Speed wise when solo it was about the same as that 5 wave one in DR with TD being faster below level 57ish and DR being faster afterward.

But one was enjoyable to play. The other was not. And that is what I think is the issue. First off in Taue Dewa I had control over which NPCs I would fight so I could avoid annoyances like four enemies with sub nuke. The pacing was faster, enemy ships exploded within a boff ability rotation instead of a captain ability rotation. I didn't fall asleep.

Cryptic has always struggled with proper pacing of content and creating a quality tension curve.

Odd that Nimbus III Sector (aka Tau Dewa Sector) that Patrols there have no lag issues. DR patrols have lag issues. The model for DR or other newer mission Patrols should be base on Tau Dewa Patrols.

As for scoring if you really wanted to best one in the Tau Dewa is Japxx and Betxx Txxx (klingon one) The Distress Call one in Tau Dewa, start at the right where the Borg Cube/Sphere is always then watch the numbers fly in Skill TRIBBLE + Points.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ravin wrote: »
    Well, good thing the OP put "Not an Exploit" in the thread title. THAT shouldn't draw any attention from the Devs. :rolleyes:

LOL

I am confident it is not an exploit but just creative useage of the game's mechanics for xp gain. Thererfore, I am not afraid of the devs look into this thread.

Having beta tested a few games and served as a community mod for others, I know the difference between a genuine exploit and simple xp farming.

I just hope Cryptic does. :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm only on the 6th episode but basically leveled myself to what would be 64 (if there were) plus I've leveled 4 ships this way in the Japori system in Tau Dewa. Can't be beat. It's quick.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
    edited October 2014
    LOL

I am confident it is not an exploit but just createive useage of the game's mechanics for xp gain. Thererfore, I am not afraid of the devs look into this thread.

Having beta tested a few games and served as a community mod for others, I know the difference between a genuine exploit and simple xp farming.

I just hope Cryptic does. :eek:

I wouldnt call it an exploit but its definitely power leveling and considering the importance of success for DR. They may nerf these areas to keep the attention on DR.
    edited October 2014
    I wouldnt call it an exploit but its definitely power leveling and considering the importance of success for DR. They may nerf these areas to keep the attention on DR.

I don't remember seeing anything in the EULA about "power levelling". Is there a blurb I missed?

Additionally, has anyone tries this with <50? I would think as T5U ships aren’t available until 50 (can someone confirm this?) that it isn’t the same “power levelling” as we’ve seen in some other games where 2-3 high level players take a group of lowbies on a power run… after all, players should be matching with the LOWEST team member, not the highest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I noticed that too. Always killing with bleed-though - it's like these NPC's have ridiculous shield regen at the lower shield strength- plus some pretty nasty TT.

This can present a HUGE problem for low DPS people or players that are not doing enough bleed through or DOT. I think that is why so many are struggling with the new NPCs.

Argala is a curious one as an example then, with the Benthan's each doing ~4k DPS with Tetryon - they're just dropping shields so even with the Kazon spamming AtD, was still much higher average damage from all my kinetics against them than against the APUs.

But the Kazon were kind of stupid and definitely slow compared to the APUs...

I actually prefer fighting the Vaadwaur cause they love to drop out the batch of Trics as they barrage and if my internet's lagging, wheeee...I blow up, it's a trip.

But looking at the Hull:Shield damage ratios between the two, the Kazon were pretty much 50:50 while the APUs were 70:30.

I'll have to hunt down some Vaadwaur to see what's going on there. Meh, wish I could remember which one had a decent group off the top of my head...ugh, what's the one with the Apex that you team up with?

Hrmm, I'll hit up Trakia as I try to remember.
    edited October 2014
    Argala is a curious one as an example then, with the Benthan's each doing ~4k DPS with Tetryon - they're just dropping shields so even with the Kazon spamming AtD, was still much higher average damage from all my kinetics against them than against the APUs.

But the Kazon were kind of stupid and definitely slow compared to the APUs...

I actually prefer fighting the Vaadwaur cause they love to drop out the batch of Trics as they barrage and if my internet's lagging, wheeee...I blow up, it's a trip.

But looking at the Hull:Shield damage ratios between the two, the Kazon were pretty much 50:50 while the APUs were 70:30.

I'll have to hunt down some Vaadwaur to see what's going on there. Meh, wish I could remember which one had a decent group off the top of my head...ugh, what's the one with the Apex that you team up with?

Hrmm, I'll hit up Trakia as I try to remember.

I only used Argala as an example because it's the only one I could remember that had a constant stream of NPC's to get a good test from. The Kazon of course are the weakest in that patrol, the Hirogen and all their science spam are the hardest. I think it's random which NPC's show up for that system.

That said, most players that are having trouble with NPCs are happening when they have no back-up. Without high DPS, high spike, or DOT they will take forever to get through the shields to do enough hull damage. That is why I think there is more player frustration with DR.

Faceroll easy to a moderate challenge is a big change for a lot of players. I think Cryptic went a little overboard on the difficulty increase compare to the stats they must have had pre-DR from the average player. Either that, or this is just a major plan to make as many people as possible dump resources into the upgrade game. Frankly "ugrading" gear is ridiculously expensive for the marginal increase in stats. It really is a waste except for a few items, and going past Mark 13 is not worth the money/resources.
    edited October 2014
    Frankly "ugrading" gear is ridiculously expensive for the marginal increase in stats. It really is a waste except for a few items, and going past Mark 13 is not worth the money/resources.

Until the rest of the expansion is released and suddenly MK XIII isn't strong enough to carry you... you'll need MK XIV or worse, MK XV

You know it's coming....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • animusredwinganimusredwing Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Great job coming in trying to help everybody OP :eek: someone always talks and ruins it for everyone. Now for sure this will be nerfed

They do not want us getting full specialization trees maxed in the first week. They want you grinding for months between seasons and expansions. People will grind out rep in 40 days then quit again.
    REDWING (fed), DOQ TEL SUVWI'S (kdf)
    FED TIER 5 KDF TIER 4 - MAX HOLDINGS
    All welcome, pm @animusrevertendi
    Join us on Teamspeak! Visit our Website!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Until the rest of the expansion is released and suddenly MK XIII isn't strong enough to carry you... you'll need MK XIV or worse, MK XV

You know it's coming....

That'll never happen. Until DR you could easily do everything in MKXi's so long as you knew how to build out(not rainbow boating) and knew the instances.

MK13 will be the new 'standard' and 14 will be the shiny to work towards. While the increases are actually pretty good; they are hardly needed. Especially once they fix this stupid HP issue next week.
    edited October 2014
    Great job coming in trying to help everybody OP :eek: someone always talks and ruins it for everyone. Now for sure this will be nerfed

They do not want us getting full specialization trees maxed in the first week. They want you grinding for months between seasons and expansions. People will grind out rep in 40 days then quit again.

Ruins it for everyone? I think not. So far several players weren't even aware this was an option and have been getting more and more frustrated with the game. Some have even leaned towards ragequit.

Look, if Cryptic nerfs this, as I said earlier, it will speak volumes as to their own endgame as far as it comes to the playerbase. If genuine bugs and exploits aren't addressed but something like this, which is NEITHER a bug nor an exploit, is nerfed then the message might as well be "we're trying to make the game more "fun" by making it impossible for you to acheive anything. Ignore us and pay on."

At which point I'd probably even dissuade players from tryhing STO out, which would be a real shame as it is - or used to be - great fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014

You know it's coming....

What Cryptic will learn the hard way is that there will be a point where people will give up rather than grind/pay for the privilege of grinding! I think that is already starting pretty hard since DR went live. Expect things to be made easier over the next few weeks. The question is: will those that stopped playing in frustration come back?
    edited October 2014
    I only used Argala as an example because it's the only one I could remember that had a constant stream of NPC's to get a good test from. The Kazon of course are the weakest in that patrol, the Hirogen and all their science spam are the hardest. I think it's random which NPC's show up for that system.

That said, most players that are having trouble with NPCs are happening when they have no back-up. Without high DPS, high spike, or DOT they will take forever to get through the shields to do enough hull damage. That is why I think there is more player frustration with DR.

Faceroll easy to a moderate challenge is a big change for a lot of players. I think Cryptic went a little overboard on the difficulty increase compare to the stats they must have had pre-DR from the average player. Either that, or this is just a major plan to make as many people as possible dump resources into the upgrade game. Frankly "ugrading" gear is ridiculously expensive for the marginal increase in stats. It really is a waste except for a few items, and going past Mark 13 is not worth the money/resources.

Could just be expectations...like you said, from that faceroll easy - that dropping nuclear bombs in a barrel of fish to what we've got. I mean, I'm thankful the DPS folks haven't stopped by to laugh at how bad some of my numbers have been here...

I just took 3:07 minutes to take out an Apex in an Elite Trakia...1.4m damage and 7.73k DPS...and like I said in another thread, taking 2-3 minutes to take out a battleship to me is not the game being ruined, being able to slaughter a fleet of battleships in less than a minute was ruining the game.

Admittedly the Apex was a boring fight...it took 1.4m damage while only doing 146k damage. I did 1916 attacks with an avg dmg of 754...it did 414 attacks with an avg of 353.

Like I said, I think the only thing that's felt challenging is when my internet is rubberbanding and I'm fighting a bunch of Vaadwaur...rubberbanding back into a bunch of barrages from them...wheeee, boom!

Thing is, if that Apex did even half the damage I did..how many more complaints would there be?

Course, er...what I'm seeing is likely highly biased via the combination of EMPs, Shockwave Mines, Viral Torpedoes, and Chromos...so the targets don't really don't have the opportunity to fire as much.

Meh, I don't know...

I'm doing the same goofy/TRIBBLE DPS that I did at 50 with other toons with this guy...I'm not going to be running any Advanced Queues until I change how I'm gearing/how I'm playing. Getting another level isn't going to change it...I have to change it. Heh, but I wouldn't be me if I weren't flying around in circles going wheeee in my failboats. :P
    edited October 2014
    Could just be expectations...like you said, from that faceroll easy - that dropping nuclear bombs in a barrel of fish to what we've got. I mean, I'm thankful the DPS folks haven't stopped by to laugh at how bad some of my numbers have been here...

I just took 3:07 minutes to take out an Apex in an Elite Trakia...1.4m damage and 7.73k DPS...and like I said in another thread, taking 2-3 minutes to take out a battleship to me is not the game being ruined, being able to slaughter a fleet of battleships in less than a minute was ruining the game.

Admittedly the Apex was a boring fight...it took 1.4m damage while only doing 146k damage. I did 1916 attacks with an avg dmg of 754...it did 414 attacks with an avg of 353.

Like I said, I think the only thing that's felt challenging is when my internet is rubberbanding and I'm fighting a bunch of Vaadwaur...rubberbanding back into a bunch of barrages from them...wheeee, boom!

Thing is, if that Apex did even half the damage I did..how many more complaints would there be?

Course, er...what I'm seeing is likely highly biased via the combination of EMPs, Shockwave Mines, Viral Torpedoes, and Chromos...so the targets don't really don't have the opportunity to fire as much.

Meh, I don't know...

I'm doing the same goofy/TRIBBLE DPS that I did at 50 with other toons with this guy...I'm not going to be running any Advanced Queues until I change how I'm gearing/how I'm playing. Getting another level isn't going to change it...I have to change it. Heh, but I wouldn't be me if I weren't flying around in circles going wheeee in my failboats. :P

It's just too mindless when you think about it. For the first few days I started to rank up my primary PvP toon after pretty much half a year off. Then I said forget it - PvP - yeah that's done - why bother with that toon. So I just grabbed a Rommie Scimitar - set it to a full FAW beam boat and went at it. I am long past the point where I want to put much more effort into the game. It's easyville for the rest of my gameplay(after 4000+ hours it should be!)

I think that's the real problem facing the game right now : there are too many people like me that have been here for too long and put in too much effort already - what they are giving back now is too little for what effort it requires to be good. I put in about $400US into this game for all those hours of play and I will always be satisfied with that, so I am not too worried with whatever happens.
    edited October 2014
    What Cryptic will learn the hard way is that there will be a point where people will give up rather than grind/pay for the privilege of grinding! I think that is already starting pretty hard since DR went live. Expect things to be made easier over the next few weeks. The question is: will those that stopped playing in frustration come back?

You act as if Cryptic has EVER had a good track record with its players -- in any of its games.
    edited October 2014
    You act as if Cryptic has EVER had a good track record with its players -- in any of its games.

Cryptic has been pretty spoiled with STO because it is a cornered market. They have a monopoly. You want your trek gaming fix - you pretty much have to come to STO. This often happens with businesses that have zero competition. On the whole - for what you can do for free - its not a horrible game. People act like it's "really" bad, but it's not "really" bad.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    As for ruining it for everyone, the answer is no. The devs are well aware of how the game is being played. They have hourly usage reports that are quite detailed.

If they didn't, I'd be worried.

It's certainly not what the developers intended, but the ability has been there for at least the last 3 seasons or so. We've used it to level once or twice, but we mostly used the Mirror Incursion event for rapid leveling. Haven't had the need to fast-level in a while.

At the moment, it is impacting gameplay. But given the BS cryptic pulled with the STF's, it's a small consolation. And I'm leveling my TRIBBLE off in the meantime. DR can wait ;)

My Two Bits

Admiral Thrax
    edited October 2014
    There's one thing for them to look at a usage report and another for us to be waving a flag saying look here for a possible voldemort. Also announcing it will mean more people do it. Increasing the usage numbers and having the eye of Sauron (devs) be aware.

First page on the forums is prime real estate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014
    There's one thing for them to look at a usage report and another for us to be waving a flag saying look here for a possible voldemort. Also announcing it will mean more people do it. Increasing the usage numbers and having the eye of Sauron (devs) be aware.

There is nothing special about telling players to go out on elite and kill NPCs - that is how leveling happened way back when content was light. There is little chance they will nerf the xp from NPC kills. At this point they are already skating on thin ice, nerfing anything but NPC HP would be a disaster for this game.
    edited October 2014

Funny that you mentioned Volde...cause uh, yeah...and there are some other heinous bugs out there too. All sorts of things with Doubts Rising...
    edited October 2014
    We thought they would never reduce dil rewards either after the debacle that happened with elite stfs. Remember 1440 dil per stf! Now it's 240-360ish for 10-15 min mission.

They want to drag crafting and specialization tree out for a year as this is the final game addition before being put on maintenance mode. They will add more trees, more crafting schools but it won't be till spring at least.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    this is the final game addition before being put on maintenance mode

Where did you get this from?
    edited October 2014
    Cryptic has been pretty spoiled with STO because it is a cornered market. They have a monopoly. You want your trek gaming fix - you pretty much have to come to STO. This often happens with businesses that have zero competition. On the whole - for what you can do for free - its not a horrible game. People act like it's "really" bad, but it's not "really" bad.

Doesnt negate the fact, that Cryptic doesn't really have any stored faith with the playerbase. That doesn't always correlate with just current game state, but rather a multitude of factors. The easiest way I can sum it up is whenever I hear something about STO - my first thought is how is Cryptic going to mess this up; I feel a good chunk of the playerbase(especially those that have been around 4~ years) can understand that. Pretty sure, it's the only company of the 549 games on my steam account that I can say that I say that to 100% of the time -- mmo or not.

That being said, at least what we are doing now encourages social play. Even if it's just people pewpewing together with no communcation. Somewhat back to an MMO again lol
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've leveled 3 characters to 52 just by doffing (they should hit 53 tomorrow morning). My character actually running content averages a level a day. If that's not an exploit, then I don't see how running system patrols (which they actually suggest) would be.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I was going to run my Tau Dewa daily anyway for Romulan marks when I saw the zone chat flying about this opportunity... I had planned to run five Carraya system runs, thinking to myself, "this would be fun to do with a friend or two"... I never thought to set my difficulty to elite for it, out have a care for anything other than the marks... I had two more runs to do when i noticed the zone chat full of calls for the Japori system...

It was fun! Like running a lite STF for Romulan marks, just with the added benefit of los of XP... I benefited, but not because i was looking for a cheap way to speed level...

I have a few more days to go to earn my Rom rep console, so I'll probably do it again a few more times...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
    edited October 2014
    We thought they would never reduce dil rewards either after the debacle that happened with elite stfs. Remember 1440 dil per stf! Now it's 240-360ish for 10-15 min mission.

They want to drag crafting and specialization tree out for a year as this is the final game addition before being put on maintenance mode. They will add more trees, more crafting schools but it won't be till spring at least.

This is a free to play game. If they want to continue to make money. They need to continue to produce content.

The Crafting is just a reflection of the increasing amount of grindy content theyve added not because theyre about to go into maintenance mode. But because they are looking to monetize as much as possible.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If they were okay with japori like skill points, they probably wouldn't have set the game up at 100 story mission replays to level 60, ya' think?

All I can say is, why risk it?

If you have the time go get it done before they delete that too...

/edit

ps. but like I said before, you just going to hit 60 and realize the game is finished with nerfed queues, nerfed dil and no new content.

And it's hilarious too because I could really see people loving crafting and upgrading with some minor copy-paste changes they seemed to specialize in this expansion.