Install Arc
Options

Captain Specializations

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah that's how it is. You set a Primary and Secondary specialization to active, and then each of those has a big subset of passives that are always active (and a few of them have clickies).

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There did not appear to be anywhere that one selected a single ability from the abilities offered. Hate that they use the term ability, but that's what they called it. Likewise, the use of the term unlock - for both unlocking the abilities as well as the unlocks after spending a certain number of points.

But anyway...the video shows the player having spent the 10 points that were available since he was 60.

Intelligence Officer (Active)

Flank Protection I
    Hide Weakness I -> Hide Weakness II
    Automated Reinforcement I

Pilot (Active)

Maneuvering Thrusters I
    Eat My Dust I
    Desperate Flight I
    Reckless Abandon

Commando (Inactive)

Resilient Power Cells I
    Headshot I

So with Intelligence Officer and Pilot set as the respective active Primary and Secondary, it gives the appearance that the player has not just two abilities active (one Primary and one Secondary), but that he actually has seven abilities active.

In a nutshell... yes. They are rather similar to the Feats from Neverwinter but arranged vertically, or the Skill Trees from many other games for that matter. Unlike other games' Skill Trees, though, you don't pick and choose a combination of unlocks from multiple Captain Specializations, but are restricted to one Primary and one Secondary... you gain access to everything unlocked in a Specialization as long as it's Active, but you can't mix-and-match from multiple Specializations of the same type (Primary/Secondary) to make a character build that suits you. You also gain additional benefits that unlock as you spend set amounts of points in each Tree, so unless you really want something from another Tree it's probably best to focus on investing in one Tree at a time. The example you referenced basically has 2 "wasted" Specialization Points that have been spent but provide no benefit... because they occupy an Inactive Tree.

This is adding a whole new progression mechanic, and we're going to see Level 60 Specialization 30/15 players in the same queues as Level 60 Specialization 3/7 players... take a guess who's higher "level" regardless of what the terminology says. If they'd just granted us a Specialization Point for each and every character level (like Neverwinter does, since that's where it looks like this system originates, *sigh*), level would still be a relevant indicator of a captain's power... but that's not how it works under the new system. You can unlock 50 additional abilities/ability improvements in the time after hitting level 60... even if that only makes a fully Specialized captain +35 Active Specialization points ahead of a "fresh 60" that makes for a noticeable difference. :P
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    razorwalkerrazorwalker Member Posts: 160 Media Corps
    edited September 2014
    There did not appear to be anywhere that one selected a single ability from the abilities offered. Hate that they use the term ability, but that's what they called it. Likewise, the use of the term unlock - for both unlocking the abilities as well as the unlocks after spending a certain number of points.

But anyway...the video shows the player having spent the 10 points that were available since he was 60.

Intelligence Officer (Active)

Flank Protection I
    Hide Weakness I -> Hide Weakness II
    Automated Reinforcement I

Pilot (Active)

Maneuvering Thrusters I
    Eat My Dust I
    Desperate Flight I
    Reckless Abandon

Commando (Inactive)

Resilient Power Cells I
    Headshot I

So with Intelligence Officer and Pilot set as the respective active Primary and Secondary, it gives the appearance that the player has not just two abilities active (one Primary and one Secondary), but that he actually has seven abilities active.

Sorry I did not see this earlier, but yes, I have 10 abilities, with 7 being active at lvl 60. As others have already stated (not going to repeat), the 1 Primary + 1 Secondary is trees, not individual abilities. There are only 3 Spec Trees being released with Delta Rising, however, more trees will be released after Delta. Sorry for the delay in replying, hope your question is answered :)
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah that's how it is. You set a Primary and Secondary specialization to active, and then each of those has a big subset of passives that are always active (and a few of them have clickies).

That was why I raised the concern early...got the answer, the concern went away, saw the video and the concern returned..
    Sorry I did not see this earlier, but yes, I have 10 abilities, with 7 being active at lvl 60. As others have already stated (not going to repeat), the 1 Primary + 1 Secondary is trees, not individual abilities. There are only 3 Spec Trees being released with Delta Rising, however, more trees will be released after Delta. Sorry for the delay in replying, hope your question is answered :)

No worries about that, and thank you for the video - it was well done.
    In a nutshell... yes. They are rather similar to the Feats from Neverwinter but arranged vertically, or the Skill Trees from many other games for that matter. Unlike other games' Skill Trees, though, you don't pick and choose a combination of unlocks from multiple Captain Specializations, but are restricted to one Primary and one Secondary... you gain access to everything unlocked in a Specialization as long as it's Active, but you can't mix-and-match from multiple Specializations of the same type (Primary/Secondary) to make a character build that suits you. You also gain additional benefits that unlock as you spend set amounts of points in each Tree, so unless you really want something from another Tree it's probably best to focus on investing in one Tree at a time. The example you referenced basically has 2 "wasted" Specialization Points that have been spent but provide no benefit... because they occupy an Inactive Tree.

This is adding a whole new progression mechanic, and we're going to see Level 60 Specialization 30/15 players in the same queues as Level 60 Specialization 3/7 players... take a guess who's higher "level" regardless of what the terminology says. If they'd just granted us a Specialization Point for each and every character level (like Neverwinter does, since that's where it looks like this system originates, *sigh*), level would still be a relevant indicator of a captain's power... but that's not how it works under the new system. You can unlock 50 additional abilities/ability improvements in the time after hitting level 60... even if that only makes a fully Specialized captain +35 Active Specialization points ahead of a "fresh 60" that makes for a noticeable difference. :P

And that's where the concern came in. Even if as Bort said, there are only roughly half as many actually there because of them having different ranks (some having II and III); it's still going to be a case of there being level 60 players and "level 120 players" that are grouped together. Because even though one can only have a single Primary and Secondary active, the unlocks (on points spent) aren't restricted like the abilities (inactive are unavailable)...

...so you're going to have that big ol' gap that can exist. Whether it is for PvE or PvP...there's going to be that big ol' gap.

Beyond that though, is the...well...there's no way around it - the various reasons they stated that they did the Reputation System Revamp.

Whether it was to ease that gap or whether it was for designing content...this system throws all of that out the window and makes the overall game look...well, yeah - I'm not going to say it.

Guess I'm glad I culled my toons down. Only have the new guy and Willard is still lingering - will have to decide which one to keep or whether I should roll another and go that way; since there is no way I'll be able to run more than one toon.

Thanks, all...
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ...so you're going to have that big ol' gap that can exist. Whether it is for PvE or PvP...there's going to be that big ol' gap.

Beyond that though, is the...well...there's no way around it - the various reasons they stated that they did the Reputation System Revamp.

Whether it was to ease that gap or whether it was for designing content...this system throws all of that out the window and makes the overall game look...well, yeah - I'm not going to say it.

Yeah it's a bit like Reputation Traits Mk II: The Returnening. In theory it can't get as bad as the Rep system eventually would have gotten, with all of its passive traits active at once, since you're limited to 1 active Primary specialization tree and one active Secondary specialization tree from the get go, regardless of if you max every tree out. In practice though, this essentially doubles the current number of traits you can have active at any one time.

And it'll take quite a while to get all of that unlocked, which is just going to widen the power gap between vets and fresh characters, even if it'll be a fun ride for the vets.. alts notwithstanding...

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    tigrovaya13akulatigrovaya13akula Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    luddimus wrote: »
    I really want to see a holy s*#t button!

Hull<25% unlocks:

Go down fighting III / Die Hard = Rock&roll + Fire at will III + scatter volley III + fire all fore and aft torpedoes full spread III three times in a ten second maneuver.

To balance:

weapons offline for 10 seconds so better have an impulse burst handy.
    15 min cooldown.

It would be visually brilliant, add a nice dynamic and imagine a captain shouting evasive maneuvers fire everything.

Any takers?

The Last Starfighter (Death Blossom) a la Trek:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAsSyDAWR8
  • Options
    luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Last Starfighter (Death Blossom) a la Trek:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAsSyDAWR8

Make it so :cool:
  • Options
    vosorosvosoros Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'll be happy to invest in pilot with my dauntless class ship from the outset. However, I may just save my other "tokens" for another primary spec at a later date.

If I can't beat you with a volley of pew-pews I'll sure as heck endure yours and chip away at you. I have the shield technology...and anti-shield tech to remove yours.

:o
  • Options
    ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Okay, so all these abilities for Starships I unlock work for any ship right? So what about those Starship traits that I can unlock? I thought only the Tier 6 ships can get those. Sure the Tier 5-U ships don't come with them, but I was under the assumption that they don't get any at ALL. This says they can.
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ak255 wrote: »
    Okay, so all these abilities for Starships I unlock work for any ship right? So what about those Starship traits that I can unlock? I thought only the Tier 6 ships can get those. Sure the Tier 5-U ships don't come with them, but I was under the assumption that they don't get any at ALL. This says they can.

They don't; your character does. Once you've got the trait, it doesn't matter whether you are in a T5-U or a T6.
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    All i read is we took your reputation powers and you can earn back other powers with a grind of years..
    But i don't trust cryptic anymore.. who will tell what cryptic does after i grinded a year to unlock everyting, take again my powers away and make a other grind that takes even longer ??
    No, thank you... you knifed me to many times in de back...
  • Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Is there a way to reset (redo) the captain specialization points and assign them to a different slot?
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Is there a way to reset (redo) the captain specialization points and assign them to a different slot?

As indicated in the blog, that's a no. The points are limitless and free, and you can unlock everything, so you're still not screwed our anything.
  • Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    As indicated in the blog, that's a no. The points are limitless and free, and you can unlock everything, so you're still not screwed our anything.

oh ok... gewd
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    oh ok... gewd

You just need to keep grinding levels... if your lvl 60 you do elite patrols in a full group...
  • Options
    qrtrmstrqrtrmstr Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Delta Rising will offer players in Star Trek Online the opportunity to fly a powerful new tier of starship, improve their gear to higher echelons of effectiveness, and advance to the ranks of Fleet Admiral or Dahar Master, all while exploring the mysteries and intrigues of an entirely new region of our galaxy. Jeremy "BorticusCryptic" Randall, Systems Designer shows off the new exciting abilities you'll be getting!

Read more about it here!

~LaughingTrendy

One question that has yet to be answered...

At launch we had just a few specialization tree options. Now Pilot has been expanded (more to come I'm sure) but does toggling active primary and active secondary specialization trees make a difference in abilities?

(Eg currently Intel set to primary, I get +10% dmg from Space Flanking II. Now if I toggle Pilot tree as primary and Intel as secondary, do the bonuses change for it now being secondary instead if primary?)
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    qrtrmstr wrote: »
    One question that has yet to be answered...

At launch we had just a few specialization tree options. Now Pilot has been expanded (more to come I'm sure) but does toggling active primary and active secondary specialization trees make a difference in abilities?

(Eg currently Intel set to primary, I get +10% dmg from Space Flanking II. Now if I toggle Pilot tree as primary and Intel as secondary, do the bonuses change for it now being secondary instead if primary?)

Skills in your secondary specialization function exactly the same. The only difference is that only the first 2 tiers in your secondary spec are active. So the only change would be if you're talking about any skills from tier 3 or 4 since those are not active as a secondary spec.
  • Options
    firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Skills in your secondary specialization function exactly the same. The only difference is that only the first 2 tiers in your secondary spec are active. So the only change would be if you're talking about any skills from tier 3 or 4 since those are not active as a secondary spec.

and what about the passive bonus you get from spending points in a spec? if you max out the pilot, but use it as a secondary, you get the turn rate bonus from 30 points or just 15?
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.