test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Janeway Court Martial

Comments

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    I would take the Undine any day of the week.

They're individuals.

The Borg are an omnicidal hive mind.

I'll take the racists with bazookas over the implacable monstrosity no matter what.

Id rather take the enemy i know well the enemy i know how to defeat and have tactics startagies and weapons designed to fight.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    big guns that destroyed 15 cub with one ship add in more you got star trek version of a Death Star

Again, so frakking what? They were targeting Borg. Who gives a f**k?

I frakking cheered when the Undine blew up Kessik IV, because it meant several hundred thousand Borg I wouldn't have to risk my own crew to kill with conventional weapons because Starfleet Command are too much of a collection of ****ing cowardly pansies to give me the required equipment.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Id rather take the enemy i know well the enemy i know how to defeat and have tactics startagies and weapons designed to fight.

Oh, you mean those tactics and strategies and weapons that totally PWNed that ONE Borg ship at Wolf 359?

Oh, wait. That was a titanic disaster for Starfleet. Thousands were killed or assimilated, dozens of ships lost, Earth was nearly taken by the Borg.

Yeah. I'm still taking the Undine every day of the week.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    KDF conquer 8472 are the equivalent of a Dalek
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited September 2014
    Oh, you mean those tactics and strategies and weapons that totally PWNed that ONE Borg ship at Wolf 359?

Oh, wait. That was a titanic disaster for Starfleet. Thousands were killed or assimilated, dozens of ships lost, Earth was nearly taken by the Borg.

Yeah. I'm still taking the Undine every day of the week.

Less you forget 359 was the first time starfleet ever encountered the borg

Im talking presently why bring up that first encounter when time has marched on
    and since 359 weapons tactics and stratagies have been developed to deal with the borg.
    edited September 2014
    starswordc wrote: »

I frakking cheered when the Undine blew up Kessik IV, because it meant several hundred thousand Borg I wouldn't have to risk my own crew to kill with conventional weapons because Starfleet Command are too much of a collection of ****ing cowardly pansies to give me the required equipment.

see their no debate with you... you have made up your mind they would go home after killing off the borg and ive made mind up they would kill off the rest of the universe to bad not one of us will never know :D

got a question do you think Hitler would have stopped after conquering Europe? or would he have came after the USA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited September 2014

and since 359 weapons tactics and stratagies have been developed to deal with the borg.

You've got a POV-related problem. Story-wise the Borg are still intensely feared even in 2409. Gameplay and story segregation and power creep means the opposite is true for us the players.

And another thing you people aren't getting. I'll grant we may not have known for absolute certain whether the Undine would stop after finishing the Borg, but we know for damn sure that the Borg wouldn't stop after taking out the Undine. That in itself makes the Undine a better option.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited September 2014

Never tested before. Never used in actual combat against the Borg.

Those strategies and tactics could have been utterly useless--probably were, in fact.

It's only because PLOT that Scorpion went down as it did.
    edited September 2014

I agree i wouldnt shed one tear of the killing of so many borg
    as the same for the undine

But if you were incharge of an invasion force and got a foot hold within you designated inavasion zone.

would you just turn around and go home?

see their no debate you made up your mind they would go home after killing off the borg and ive made mind up they would kill off the rest of the universe to bad not one of us would never know :D

You bring up a good point

and proves the point that a military in motion does not stop till thier mission is accomplished

if they invade they just wont simply turn around and go home once a foot hold has been established.
    edited September 2014
    see their no debate with you... you have made up your mind they would go home after killing off the borg and ive made mind up they would kill off the rest of the universe to bad not one of us will never know :D

got a question do you think Hitler would have stopped after conquering Europe? or would he have came after the USA

Objection. Asked and answered. Try writing a genuinely new argument I haven't already shredded to confetti.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited September 2014

its only plot that save us every time from the borg from the first moment we met them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited September 2014
    I agree i wouldnt shed one tear of the killing of so many borg
    as the same for the undine

But if you were incharge of an invasion force and got a foot hold within you designated inavasion zone.

would you just turn around and go home?

The Undine did at Qo'noS. :D
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited September 2014
    Objection. Asked and answered. Try writing a genuinely new argument I haven't already shredded to confetti.

when you do the same i will to :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited September 2014
    Never tested before. Never used in actual combat against the Borg.

Those strategies and tactics could have been utterly useless--probably were, in fact.

PLOT which brings us to the debate

plot holes have guided our hands to endless debates and hours of chatter.

But my stance is one from a military analyst and observer

and its been proven that once a military invasion force takes a foothold you either push them back with force or let them reamin as they wont just go away .

And for me if i had to choose an enemy it would be one i know not one i know little if nothing about

But i think we should end this discussion on the grounds that you and i will agree to disagree and let it drop at that as gentlemen :)
    edited September 2014
    The Undine did at Qo'noS. :D

Remember they were met and driven back by force once thier world destroyer had been destroyed therefore they didnt simply turn around they were driven back.
    edited September 2014
    this like sisko debating to senator-Vice-Chairman of the Tal Shiar Vreenak that the Dominion would not stop after conquering the feds and KDF because romulan had a non aggression pact with the Dominion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited September 2014
    PLOT which brings us to the debate

plot holes have guided our hands to endless debates and hours of chatter.

But my stance is one from a military analyst and observer

and its been proven that once a military invasion force takes a foothold you either push them back with force or let them reamin as they wont just go away .

And for me if i had to choose an enemy it would be one i know not one i know little if nothing about

But i think we should end this discussion on the grounds that you and i will agree to disagree and let it drop at that as gentlemen :)

I think that Israel is a good example of this.

An aggressive, right-wing Israeli government illegally took large amounts of Jordanian and Egyptian land in the Six-Day War, then stopped under international pressure. They were not forced militarily to stop; they had a foothold, but did not press the issue.

Also, given what Starfleet knows of the Borg, I'd take the Undine any day of the week. At least the Undine are individuals; they can't be single-mindedly devoted to assimilation literally all the time.
    edited September 2014
    this like sisko debating to senator-Vice-Chairman of the Tal Shiar Vreenak that the Dominion would not stop after conquering the feds and KDF

Your logical fallacy is the false analogy. Ben Sisko had concrete, incontrovertible evidence of the Dominion's track record of genocide and the self-professed manifest destiny of the Founders to conquer the entire galaxy. Janeway had a psychic battle cry and some battlefield debris.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited September 2014

An aggressive, right-wing Israeli government illegally took large amounts of Jordanian and Egyptian land in the Six-Day War, then stopped under international pressure. They were not forced militarily to stop; they had a foothold, but did not press the issue.

Also, given what Starfleet knows of the Borg, I'd take the Undine any day of the week. At least the Undine are individuals; they can't be single-mindedly devoted to assimilation literally all the time.

The six day war was a war for preservation of the isreali state

When they began taking teritory it was an act of invasion

and thus when faced with the prospects of fighting multiple enemies and sanctions its a situation of either withdraw or lose that which your whole war was for in the first place preservation and soverignty .
    edited September 2014
    you never going to convince me 8472 would pack up and go home after killing off the borg so round and round we go like all pointless debates on this forums
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited September 2014

and thus when faced with the prospects of fighting multiple enemies and sanctions its a situation of either withdraw or lose that which your whole war was for in the first place preservation and soverignty .

1. False. It was a panicked response by right-wing leaders to perceived Arab military buildups.

2. True.

3. Nah, they could've taken Jordan and probably at least Cairo as well. Hell, they were on the freaking doorstep of Damascus.

Sure, they would've been curb-stomped by Russia or somebody immediately thereafter, but the fact remains that they stopped BEFORE outside military force was even put on the table as an option.
    edited September 2014
    this like sisko debating to senator-Vice-Chairman of the Tal Shiar Vreenak that the Dominion would not stop after conquering the feds and KDF because romulan had a non aggression pact with the Dominion

THIS IS VREEEEEENAAAAAK!!!!
    edited September 2014
    1. False. It was a panicked response by right-wing leaders to perceived Arab military buildups.

2. True.

3. Nah, they could've taken Jordan and probably at least Cairo as well. Hell, they were on the freaking doorstep of Damascus.

Sure, they would've been curb-stomped by Russia or somebody immediately thereafter, but the fact remains that they stopped BEFORE outside military force was even put on the table as an option.

In the end they withdrew due to the fact they wouldve as you said curb stomped by the USSR
    there has been alot of debate since the 6 day war whether the isrealis shouldve held the ground gained and taken demascus.

a debate i dont think will end anytime soon :)
    edited September 2014

See, the thing about that whole mess is, except for Sinai and the Golan Heights the territory Israel took in the Six Day War had originally been conquered away from them in the war in the late '40s. And yet nobody was demanding that the Arab countries return it and calling it an illegal occupation like they did with Israel. Double standard, much? :rolleyes:
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited September 2014
    See, the thing about that whole mess is, except for Sinai and the Golan Heights the territory Israel took in the Six Day War had originally been conquered away from them in the war in the late '40s. And yet nobody was demanding that the Arab countries return it and calling it an illegal occupation like they did with Israel. Double standard, much? :rolleyes:

Since Israel is a state that was drawn up by bored MPs desperate to get Britain out of the Middle East, I'd say that the Israelis never had any right to that land in the first place.

Just like Syria and Iraq should have been split up instead of drawn the way they are.

In general, the current Middle East situation is entirely the fault of British and other colonial powers trying to put nice straight lines on a patchwork of vaguely standoffish ethnicities. And then putting minority groups in positions of absolute power.
    edited September 2014
    Since Israel is a state that was drawn up by bored MPs desperate to get Britain out of the Middle East, I'd say that the Israelis never had any right to that land in the first place.

Just like Syria and Iraq should have been split up instead of drawn the way they are.
    It's still a double standard.
    In general, the current Middle East situation is entirely the fault of British and other colonial powers trying to put nice straight lines on a patchwork of vaguely standoffish ethnicities. And then putting minority groups in positions of absolute power.

And intentionally playing various tribes off against each other for years so they couldn't unite and push out the colonists. And there's the really stupid ones like the CIA coup in Iran.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited September 2014
    It's still a double standard.

And intentionally playing various tribes off against each other for years so they couldn't unite and push out the colonists. And there's the really stupid ones like the CIA coup in Iran.

1. Not particularly, since Israel never really had a claim to that land anyway.

2. Yeah, Western nations have done some really dumb and occasionally evil stuff and never apologized for it.

When the UN has enough teeth to make them apologize for their antics, the UN will have enough teeth to beat the living tar out of Kim Jong-Un and his little totalitarian puppet show. That'll be the day...
    edited September 2014

The CIA coupe always makes me facepalm
    edited September 2014
    The CIA coupe always makes me facepalm

It was spectacularly dumb.

Oust a democratically-elected leader in favor of an outmoded dictator? Really, was the ayatollah's takeover and new dictatorship REALLY that much of a surprise???
    edited September 2014
    1. Not particularly, since Israel never really had a claim to that land anyway.
    They had as much of a claim as the Arabs did. There's been a huge concentration of Jews there for centuries. (Not European-descended Jews, I'll grant.)

Eh, subject's a little touchy with me. I've got a couple different sets of Jewish relatives (one of my great-uncles is a rabbi, even).
    When the UN has enough teeth to make them apologize for their antics, the UN will have enough teeth to beat the living tar out of Kim Jong-Un and his little totalitarian puppet show. That'll be the day...

Frankly the UN's never going to have any teeth as long as the Security Council has veto power. Of course, we have to get past the veto power to get rid of it. :rolleyes:
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png