test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official New Upgrade System Feedback Thread

Comments

• dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No Tribble access but from what I've hear, these dilithium prices sound reasonable to me. Note that I'm coming from the perspective of upgrading my gear to a higher mark, not upgrading its quality, which was a totally unexpected bonus to me. Considering the time it took to amass this gear in the first place, being able to upgrade it in a few weeks time is incredible. We can bring all of those special story goodies up to endgame level too -- not that they were ever too bad to use before.

The most troubling thing about this system is the amount of complexity it's adding to the game. Teaching people all this stuff is going to be a nightmare -- R&D was already pretty bad. Second most troubling thing is that mk XIV stuff probably won't even be needed for the PVEs, if the current gear balance is anything to go by.
  • gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No Tribble access but from what I've hear, these dilithium prices sound reasonable to me. Note that I'm coming from the perspective of upgrading my gear to a higher mark, not upgrading its quality, which was a totally unexpected bonus to me. Considering the time it took to amass this gear in the first place, being able to upgrade it in a few weeks time is incredible. We can bring all of those special story goodies up to endgame level too -- not that they were ever too bad to use before.

The most troubling thing about this system is the amount of complexity it's adding to the game. Teaching people all this stuff is going to be a nightmare -- R&D was already pretty bad. Second most troubling thing is that mk XIV stuff probably won't even be needed for the PVEs, if the current gear balance is anything to go by.

It should be less than a few weeks as it stands. If you have all the resources it will only take you about 36 hours per item to get it to mk XIV. But the issue here, is what it takes to get the resources. Whether it be kits, crafting, or diltihium.
    As it stands, a full build of VR and UR mk XIIs on the cheaper end (so more VR that UR) will cost you ,roughly, 301,000 Dilithium to upgrade and 591h and 32m. Thats if you have all the needed resources stockpiled and ready to go.
    More information can be found here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JU8ciOpp5kbplvwFanr7ast9THnAwC3LywmYHZREMx0/edit#gid=0
    signature.png
  • mrtsheadmrtshead Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It should be less than a few weeks as it stands. If you have all the resources it will only take you about 36 hours per item to get it to mk XIV. But the issue here, is what it takes to get the resources. Whether it be kits, crafting, or diltihium.
    As it stands, a full build of VR and UR mk XIIs on the cheaper end (so more VR that UR) will cost you ,roughly, 301,000 zen to upgrade and 591h and 32m. Thats if you have all the needed resources stockpiled and ready to go.
    More information can be found here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JU8ciOpp5kbplvwFanr7ast9THnAwC3LywmYHZREMx0/edit#gid=0

Not 301,000 zen, 301,000 DILITHIUM. There's a huge difference.
    edited September 2014
    mrtshead wrote: »
    Not 301,000 zen, 301,000 DILITHIUM. There's a huge difference.

Yes, I meant dilithium That was a typo. I was half asleep when I wrote that lol. But the facts still stand.
    signature.png
    edited September 2014
    It's daunting when you add it all up, but it's not when you go an item at a time, which is what I'd do. Incremental improvements. It's the same as getting the gear in the first place. If I added up the time investment for all of my current gear, I'd probably just be ashamed of myself for playing as much as I do. :P

Again, I want to see if the new content even justifies this gear before I even consider upgrading anything, much less trying to upgrade it all at once. (Also I totally missed the 300k zen typo, heh. Was curious, about 1.6k zen at the current exchange rate -- doesn't seem too unreasonable when you consider some of the C-store prices!)
    edited September 2014
    It's daunting when you add it all up, but it's not when you go an item at a time, which is what I'd do. Incremental improvements. It's the same as getting the gear in the first place. If I added up the time investment for all of my current gear, I'd probably just be ashamed of myself for playing as much as I do. :P

Again, I want to see if the new content even justifies this gear before I even consider upgrading anything, much less trying to upgrade it all at once. (Also I totally missed the 300k zen typo, heh. Was curious, about 1.6k zen at the current exchange rate -- doesn't seem too unreasonable when you consider some of the C-store prices!)

True, up to this point we have been incrementally making our character(s) better. However, we've been doing this by grinding, grinding, grinding some more, grinding, again, and again, and again, and again. I don't want to do that, but at the same time I don't want to feel left behind and neglected. All I'm saying is either make the grind more fun or just have less grinding and more content. This new upgrade system is just an excuse to grind again, and again, and again, and again. Like I said before, if you are willing to do that, more power to you. I just, still, don't understand why anyone would need to promote that. Passive acceptance goes much further.
    signature.png
    edited September 2014
    I don't find it much of a grind myself. I still enjoy the content, and when it does start feeling grindy (the recent crystalline event and shuttle fleet alerts), I bow out of runs. I guess it really helps that there's very little PVE content in this game I don't like, and that the ground battlezone is one of the most fun places in the game for me. I get more ore than I know what to do with just by playing normally.
    edited September 2014
    I don't find it much of a grind myself. I still enjoy the content, and when it does start feeling grindy (the recent crystalline event and shuttle fleet alerts), I bow out of runs. I guess it really helps that there's very little PVE content in this game I don't like, and that the ground battlezone is one of the most fun places in the game for me. I get more ore than I know what to do with just by playing normally.

My point exactly! If you are willing to work with the system as is, more power to you. Why promote it? Why not passively accept that? If the slight changes me and many others want to happen, happens. It will not affect you, or anyone who has your opinion, in any adverse way. Its just, to me, when "arguments" of opinion take place, that's what it boils down to. One side wants to make changes that won't adversely affect anything. And then the other side is fine with where it is and ,for some reason, argue with the other side. Can someone please explain this to me?

Like with the upgrades. Some people think the pricing is fine (Group A). Others feel it should be lowered(Group B). Hypothetically speaking, where is the downside for Group A if Group B's changes are implemented? I can't think of any except the marginal chance that Cryptic/PWE might not make as much money as they hoped/wanted. But that is not necessarily an appropriate reason. Given that the focus is suppose to be on the upgrade system. But I digress.

On a personal note, events like the Crystalline entity I find to be "grindy" as well. The only difference is, I'm guaranteed that after 2 weeks of doing it once a day, I can turn in my shards (or whatever the item is) and get a relatively big cash out (dilithium, marks, and a purple doff). Which is nice and makes the grind worth it. Outside of that, that type of incentive seldom exists.
    signature.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What would be the cost to upgrade, say, a Mark X or Mark VI item to Mark XIV?

Or can you only start upgrading at Mark XII?

I am asking because theoretically, it could turn out not buying a Mark XI item and using the upgrade system on a lower tier item might end up cheaper.

If not, Cryptic should probably look into making it a bit cheaper. That could change the market for low tier items a lot. A lot less items that would end up being vendor trash.

Though I suspect it wouldn't replace the usual set items.
    there are several benefits to the use of low mk, but high quality gear. The cost to upgrade a Mk2(for example) to mk 3 is insignificant. BUT, each time you do you get a quality upgrade roll. So if you start with a Mk2 purple you have a few extra chances at getting an upgrade.

Obviously this doesn't apply to things you can't get at a low mk, but it's pretty good for generic gear.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    When you start a delta rep you get the box with the free item. these were some thoron weapons but they cant be upgraded to mk 13.

i can upgrade some consoles that i got from the previous reps, so i think they were missed out?
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    abug with when it allows you to upgrade.

if you are on the ground, and you try to select a space item equipped on your ship it wont let you upgrade it. also if you are in space you then cant upgrade and item on your character either.

all you can do is select upgrade but the items dont appear.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lystent wrote: »
    K, he said loot drops, so that threw me off.
    That just means all I gotta worry about is upgrade costs.

Actually I specifically said "the missions drop".
    edited September 2014
    I wish. Well if I'm not grinding and I'm not paying. Than I'm doing nothing.

Really? When I'm hot grinding, I'm playing a foundry mission, making new costumes, rerunning favorite story missions, testing out different builds and gear combos (in battle), teaming with random strangers I see asking for help, teaching new people how to play, or chair bopping while my avatar dances during a cape radio show.

You should try some of that. Its all more fun than grinding and you still get an accumulation of wealth over time.
    edited September 2014
    Really? When I'm hot grinding, I'm playing a foundry mission, making new costumes, rerunning favorite story missions, testing out different builds and gear combos (in battle), teaming with random strangers I see asking for help, teaching new people how to play, or chair bopping while my avatar dances during a cape radio show.

You should try some of that. Its all more fun than grinding and you still get an accumulation of wealth over time.

Thanks for the interest but I'm good. I don't have the resources to do half of that and the other half accomplishes nothing even for a video game. I do, however, do foundry missions. But I only typically do them for EC farming.
    signature.png
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for the interest but I'm good. I don't have the resources to do half of that and the other half accomplishes nothing even for a video game. I do, however, do foundry missions. But I only typically do them for EC farming.

Fair enough, but none of them take any resource other than time. They do accomplish, for me, the most important thing from any game: they make me happy.

Especially helping people learn the game. When someone started frustrated and ends up enjoying themselves, that is my favorite way to spend an hour. Its well worth not earning some dil or marks to me. And I do usually get a bunch of doff missions done while its happening, and doffs are my main source of ec.

But it's definitely not for everyone.
  • barimanforumsbarimanforums Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've noticed that I can upgrade my Mark 11 reputation gear with tech upgrades (my Reman shields for example). If I can do that, why bother spending the marks and resources in getting the mark 12 variants from the reputation system? This needs some rethinking. Maybe just take out the mark 11 variants from the reputation system? It doesn't look like we'll have any more Mark 11s. All the newer rep goes straight to 12s.
    edited September 2014
    I've noticed that I can upgrade my Mark 11 reputation gear with tech upgrades (my Reman shields for example). If I can do that, why bother spending the marks and resources in getting the mark 12 variants from the reputation system? This needs some rethinking. Maybe just take out the mark 11 variants from the reputation system? It doesn't look like we'll have any more Mark 11s. All the newer rep goes straight to 12s.

Well by grinding the Mk XIIs you put yourself one step closer to Mk XIV without dealing with the dilithium sink we call the upgrade system
    signature.png
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Tech Point price table for Space Weapon, Shield, Engine, Deflector, Warp/Singularity Core upgrades. Red numbers are extrapolations from my direct observations with all of the other numbers. (Yay math)

Important note: There are some exceptions that do not conform to this table, like spiral waves, reputation set weapons, and lobi weapons that cost more than what is listed in this table. Also this table doesn't really address rarity upgrades at the end of XIV that might fail repeatedly.

https://i.imgur.com/YxfS1AB.jpg

For example, although a MK XII Spiral Wave Disruptor, Kinetic Cutting Beam, or Heavy Bio-Molecular Turret is Very Rare quality, it costs 85120 TP to go from XII to XII, and 170240 TP to go from XIII to XIV. Whereas Gravimetric Photon Torpedo Launcher Mk XII and Enhanced Bio-Molecular Photon Torpedo Launcher Mk XII from the reputation stores are also Very Rare quality but they cost 106240 TP to go from XII to XIII and 212,480 to go from XIII to XIV.

It leaves me wondering if TP prices are set by the # of modifiers, and if these special weapons have extra internal modifiers that aren't listed in their names.

TP Upgrade table for Space Consoles. Again, Red is an extrapolated number, and there are exceptions to the rule like Universal consoles and reputation set consoles. This table only covers standard consoles, fleet consoles, and those random Dyson rep drop consoles. And like the other table, it doesn't cover quality upgrades.

https://i.imgur.com/U14OYvt.jpg

Also the [Console - Tactical - Directed Energy Distribution Manifold] and [Console - Tactical - Prefire Chamber] do not conform to the standard prices of console upgrades.

There are no Mk XIs in the reputation system. Your Mk XI gear are legacy items that nobody can acquire anymore. They already took out Mk XI months ago.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014

You haven't been able to get mk x or mk xi for a good while now. There ahead of you there.

If you have legacy stuff... you know have a choice you can upgrade it or pick up a mk xii set.

For those of us that have old MK XI sets that we don't use at least there is now an option to take it out of the bank and upgrade it if it makes sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
    edited September 2014
    If everything with this upgrade system remains the same, I implore the devs to at least increase the dilithium refining cap to like 10k a day per character.
    signature.png
  • barimanforumsbarimanforums Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You haven't been able to get mk x or mk xi for a good while now. There ahead of you there.

If you have legacy stuff... you know have a choice you can upgrade it or pick up a mk xii set.

For those of us that have old MK XI sets that we don't use at least there is now an option to take it out of the bank and upgrade it if it makes sense.

Oops, I thought some of them were still there. My bad :o
  • dukedom01dukedom01 Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Lirpa mission reward from Hearts&Minds looses its mods upon upgrading.
    Ceterum censeo Otha supplendum in praemiis.
    edited September 2014
    There would be A LOT more feedback if everyone had access to Tribble. That way more bugs can be found and fixed. Then again, everyone has access to the Holodeck and bugs there go unfixed anyways. :/
    signature.png
  • neppakyoneppakyo Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There would be A LOT more feedback if everyone had access to Tribble. That way more bugs can be found and fixed. Then again, everyone has access to the Holodeck and bugs there go unfixed anyways. :/

You know cryptics track record on bugs :rolleyes:

I was on tribble the other day, ugrading the fleet defiant to t5u, had the cloaking console on it and all. After upgrade the console disappears. nice little bug ^^.

But I feel this upgrade system is more grind grind grind, when already there is way too much grinding involved. Don't get me started on power creep and other stupid "addons" in DR...
    Quote about STO on consoles: "Not quite as bad as No man's sky, but a close second."
    edited September 2014
    neppakyo wrote: »
    You know cryptics track record on bugs :rolleyes:

I was on tribble the other day, ugrading the fleet defiant to t5u, had the cloaking console on it and all. After upgrade the console disappears. nice little bug ^^.

But I feel this upgrade system is more grind grind grind, when already there is way too much grinding involved. Don't get me started on power creep and other stupid "addons" in DR...

The same better not happen with my Gal X.

It IS just more grinding unfortunately.

Hehe, now that you mention cloaking.... Cloaking bug of 1/11/11. Is that "on the list" Tacofang? 3+ years later and you wonder why people "get mad either way". Just excuses. Nuff said :)
    signature.png
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Here's a warning for those eager to be the first to upgrade their gear on holodeck. Do not be a guinea pig and wait a while until the bugs are worked out because if anything goes wrong and your item does not get upgraded and goes missing, you won't get it back.

Last time item upgrades were available in this game, I lost my item and never got it back. All I have to show for it is a few 3+ month old tickets with an automated "stinks to be you" reply.
  • scbypwrscbypwr Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The cost to upgrade is too DAMN high!

100k+ dilithium (conservative estimate) per piece is ridiculous and will drive more away since the grind is so high.

Reputation gear is enormous...and no guarantee on any quality upgrades.
    edited September 2014
    Here's a warning for those eager to be the first to upgrade their gear on holodeck. Do not be a guinea pig and wait a while until the bugs are worked out because if anything goes wrong and your item does not get upgraded and goes missing, you won't get it back.

Last time item upgrades were available in this game, I lost my item and never got it back. All I have to show for it is a few 3+ month old tickets with an automated "stinks to be you" reply.

I thought the purpose of Tribble was for guinea pigs? It's sad to know that even WITH Tribble, not all the issues will be dealt with. Why do I even bother with this game anymore? :(

Oh Yeah! I love Star Trek an there's no other Star Trek game I could play :rolleyes:
    signature.png
    edited September 2014
    scbypwr wrote: »
    The cost to upgrade is too DAMN high!

100k+ dilithium (conservative estimate) per piece is ridiculous and will drive more away since the grind is so high.

Reputation gear is enormous...and no guarantee on any quality upgrades.

They don't care. Do you know how many people I've seen say the same thing? And you want to know the developers response? *crickets*..... [Update].... *crickets*
    signature.png
  • neppakyoneppakyo Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They don't care. Do you know how many people I've seen say the same thing? And you want to know the developers response? *crickets*..... [Update].... *crickets*

Its more like... *crickets... [update].. *crickets* ..."Free socks for your remen toon!"
    Quote about STO on consoles: "Not quite as bad as No man's sky, but a close second."